• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

kirblar

I wasn't paying attention to politics back then, but how DID obama pass ACA back then?
He got it through the house relatively easily because Pelosi is very very very good at her job. The Senate is where things went haywire cause you had 60 people w veto power.

Neoweee

Just a reminder: Most bills that go to the floor for a vote, pass. Typically leadership won't make their members vote on unpopular bills that could be used against them unless they're actually going to win.

That assumes that the WH is competent and acting in good faith, but it still probably holds. If they're putting it to vote, they believe they have the numbers.

kottila

They have a 15min voting break every 20 minutes, even though it takes 1 second to hit the voting button. What a cushy job.

akileese

Probably threatening to campaign for other Republican candidates in mid-terms?

What's the current vote for? Seems pretty mixed this time.

Approval of the previous day journal if iirc. The house is required to approve the previous day's journal every day.

e: From what I read, the journal approval vote is usually a way for the parties to get all members to their floor to discuss positions on whatever they're voting on that day.

Just a reminder: Most bills that go to the floor for a vote, pass. Typically leadership won't make their members vote on unpopular bills that could be used against them unless they're actually going to win.

That assumes that the WH is competent and acting in good faith, but it still probably holds. If they're putting it to vote, they believe they have the numbers.

Yeah, I think it'll be a surprise at this point if it doesn't actually pass.

But we didn't need the reminder to be honest. This has been said many a time in this thread lol

It's all about dealing a blow to Obama, nothing else.

So, it's a Friday, is what you're saying

Well, yeah opposing Obama is nothing new, Freezing out major stakeholders and forging ahead anyway was an interesting tactic.

From what can be understood, it seems like Trump's personally threatened holdouts.

But what can he do that's worse than incurring the wrath of those who voted for them, anyway?

studyguy

Right that's the assumption. No one wants to be held to a failed vote which is why the last incarnation of this bill didn't even go to the floor. If this is getting voted on, the assumption is it'll pass or they have made some grievous error in whipping votes.

Zolo

But what can he do that's worse than incurring the wrath of those who voted for them, anyway?

Trump still seems popular in the Republican base even if this bill isn't. It's basically a choice of answering this vs having Trump talking to their constituents against them. Not a good scenario for certain house members either way.

Steejee

It'd be nice if the CBO came out like 5 minutes before the floor vote and scored this as even worse than the first two editions. That way they can be told they knew full well what the impact of what the voted on would be.

I can't see it scoring much better really - maybe "just" 20 million lose insurance, but even less deficit reduction.

I did like the impossibly-unlikely possibility that a few GOPers lied in the whip count and plan to vote against it in the final vote. Losing the actual vote would be a dagger in Ryan's speakership, and there's definitely a few House GOP members who would be all for that.

It'd be nice if the CBO came out like 5 minutes before the floor vote and scored this as even worse than the first two editions. That way they can be told they knew full well what the impact of what the voted on would be.

I can't see it scoring much better really - maybe "just" 20 million lose insurance, but even less deficit reduction.
CBO would score it before Senate does anything with it though, right?

Sobriquet

I wasn't paying attention to politics back then, but how DID obama pass ACA back then?

It took 9 months. House of Representatives held 78 hearings, heard from 181 witnesses, and allowed 121 amendments. Senate held 30+ hearings and accepted more than 200 amendments.

studyguy

Looks like it was actually just an hour allocated for debate on the healthcare that will affect millions. Great, thanks.

C-_alvhXcAAsk2o.jpg:large

zou

I mean I'm pro ACA, but this graph is pretty terrible trying to a) narrow the cause down to that one factor and b) starting right before the decline ends eliminating any historical context.

Or let's look at all non-business filings since 1980. There's never been a sustained downwards trend. I wonder what could have happened in 2010 to change it.

Ourobolus

Banned
"I had a woman from Kentucky whose premiums went up under Obamacare. So I'd like to ensure she pays even more."

I translated it from the original words, but I will never understand how these people say this stuff and don't suddenly get struck by lightning.

Top Bottom