• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Ithil

The thing about the 24 million number they say every time is that's the number estimated for the previous bill, the one for this version is likely to be much, much higher.

ultron87

I don't understand how even fucking Fox News matter of factly lists that the bill means that you can pay more if you're older or have pre-existing conditions and they just up stand there saying it'll fix rising premiums.

- Lets states get federal waivers allowing insurers to charge older customers higher premiums than younger ones by as much as they'd like. Obama's law limits the difference to a 3-1 ratio. States also can get waivers exempting insurers from providing consumers with required coverage of specified health services, and from Obama's prohibition against insurers charging higher premiums to people with pre-existing health problems, but only if the person has had a gap in insurance coverage.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/04/republican-health-care-bill-whats-in-it.html

This is Republicans failing to do their jobs on a basic level, and a demonstration of this political party absolutely disrespecting the nation's basic principles behind democratic representation in Congress. Here you have a gang of blowhards who refuse to meet with their constituents, refuse to take calls, disconnect their phone lines, literally lie through their teeth about what their constituents want, utterly and completely failing to represent the wishes of their constituents on a basic level, and they do it because they work for the party, not the people.

Boy I wonder what the Hilary reality is like right now? You know the one where so many people didn't feel the need to protest vote to show how special they each were?

RDreamer

I love how the republicans cherry pick 1 or 2 constituents that the ACA isn't working for in order to justify the vote to take it away from people who it is working for and no explanation how this is going to help those 1 or 2 mentioned.

The cases they pick don't even make any fucking sense either though. Oh this person you know had to change their doctor? That sucks, but at least they can't get denied healthcare due to pre-existing condition and be charged out the fucking ass because of that. Their healthcare costs more than it did? No fucking duh you dipshits, it's going to keep going up. That's what it did pre-Obamacare. That's what it'll keep doing, but at a blunted rate. No one said it wouldn't.

Paz

My favorite part of this story is that the strategy to get this passed was to make it even worse than the bill that failed before, I have no idea what you do about this if you're a not-insane American living in a country that seems to have gone completely off the deep end.

Tubie

The GOP is so sure of their gerrymandered districts that they are willing to fuck everyone over with this heartless fucking destruction of what little healthcare the US had.

Bleepey

I'm sorry but that dad is fucking irredeemable. This is your child you're talking about and you would still spit on the program that helped better his life? Fuck off.

My dad use to be a Republican in the 90's. Mainly because he's religious and wanted to support a party that approached governance with a strong morale foundation and fiscal conservatism. He admits he wasn't informed since he had to work all day keeping us afloat. But now that he has time to read and be more knowledgeable he believes that the Republican Party is indefensible and regrets his past loyalty.

Guys like this guy can be saved and were saved. The rest are too far gone. Baby steps.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareins...-would-be-dead?utm_term=.vnYrRE77e#.koga4e112

Swass

The worst thing is the House GOP made themselves exempt from the preexisiting conditions thing, right?

No, they passed a bill closing that loophole earlier.. a dem called them out on it though saying they only closed it because they got caught.

darkwing

The worst thing is the House GOP made themselves exempt from the preexisiting conditions thing, right?

yup, too bad, people supporting them are giving irrational reasons why they are still supporting them

damn you, got mine mentality

LiK

No, they passed a bill closing that loophole earlier.. a dem called them out on it though saying they only closed it because they got caught.

Ah, good. Didn't know that happened. Man, I still hope this bill dies again.

Neoweee

Jill Stein man, it was all about sending a message voting for Jill Stein.

If you can't get universal healthcare right now, it is better to kill thousands of people to teach people a lesson and eventually, maybe, possibly, be in a marginally better bargaining position in 4-8 years.

Literally the logic of a bunch of busters.

If you can't get universal healthcare right now, it is better to kill thousands of people to teach people a lesson and eventually, maybe, possibly, be in a marginally better bargaining position.

Literally the logic of a bunch of busters.

Oh don't worry, Susan Sarandon will still have her healthcare though. That's all that matters.

Rosario Dawson too.

epmode

Can you explain this? Isn't the Senate also held by a Republican majority?

A Senator is beholden to the will of an entire state, not a single gerrymandered district. This results in more moderate views across the board.

Of course, Republicans are good at blindly voting with the party if it's important enough so who knows.

KingV

The cases they pick don't even make any fucking sense either though. Oh this person you know had to change their doctor? That sucks, but at least they can't get denied healthcare due to pre-existing condition and be charged out the fucking ass because of that. Their healthcare costs more than it did? No fucking duh you dipshits, it's going to keep going up. That's what it did pre-Obamacare. That's what it'll keep doing, but at a blunted rate. No one said it wouldn't.

That's sort of the Achilles heel of Obamacare. It blunted the cost curve, but had a one time pretty significant hike, and it didn't blunt it enough.

This is the wrong way to "fix" it and will make the problem worse, but the biggest reason Obamacare has remained unpopular is that it didn't really fix health care's impact on the pocket book for like 80% of Americans and it's greater than inflation growth rate.

Obamacare sucks, it's just better than the even suckier pre-Obamacare status quo.

Edit: I say this as someone with pretty ok healthcare that maxes their out of pocket every year, and sees 5-10% premium increases annually and a 2-3% pay raise. Health care just continues to take up more of my paycheck every year.

Oh Lord, Pelosi is so incredible in some ways, so goddamn frustrating in others.

Making an enemy of the insurance lobby as this bill goes to the Senate is a bad idea. We're not in campaign season anyway, now is not the time to discuss that sort of thing. The only priority is doing everything possible to defeat this bill. Having the various healthcare lobbies on the side of Democrats and moderate Republicans is the best hope we have right now.

Ogodei

The Senate will not rubber stamp stuff that comes out of the House. That rarely happens and certainly doesn't happen on something as monumental as this.

More to the point that the Senate can't hide in gerrymandered districts. Ted Cruz has to face every Texan, Jeff Flake every Arizonan, Dean Heller every Nevadian.

It's not the so-called moderates like Graham and McCain who will fight this, it's people up in 2018 who's asses are going to be on the line.

Alphahawk

Can you explain this? Isn't the Senate also held by a Republican majority?

It was explained to me a while back in this thread,

The senate has much less of a margin of error (23 need to vote no in the house vs 3 in the Senate) and Senate republicans are much more conservative.

In addition the budget report for the bill will be out by the time it reaches the Senate, which will most likely sway votes.

It's furthermore entirely possible that the senate will modify the bill, send it back to the House, who will then oppose the changes.

Top Bottom