• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

It was explained to me a while back in this thread,

The senate has much less of a margin of error (23 need to vote no in the house vs 3 in the Senate) and Senate republicans are much more conservative.

In addition the budget report for the bill will be out by the time it reaches the Senate, which will most likely sway votes.

It's furthermore entirely possible that the senate will modify the bill, send it back to the House, who will then oppose the changes.

So... we're talking as if this bill is going through, huh? What makes us think this one will pass this time, guys?

Tubie

You need 60 Senators to break a filibuster and force a vote. Democrats will filibuster. Republicans have 52 seats.

They only need 50 for this one cause it's being done through budget reconciliation.

They only have a few days left to do it this way tho.

It's why they are in such a rush to ram it through.

Alphahawk

Also about the pre existing condition thing. It's my understanding that through this bill they can't outright ban people with such conditions from signing up, although they can charge higher prices. Furthermore they can only do this if people have don't have stable insurance. If you have insurance and sign up for another one, for instance, they can't charge you more.

Also about the pre existing condition thing. It's my understanding that through this bill they can't outright ban people with such conditions from signing up, although they can charge higher prices. Furthermore they can only do this if people have don't have stable insurance. If you have insurance and sign up for another one, for instance, they can't charge you more.

So basically, don't ever get laid off or fired.

Oh yay my diabetes ass is stuck at my current employer forever.

Tubie

"Congratulations sir, you have been approved for our senior health care plan!

For the low price of $1,000,000 a year you can have all of your pre-existing conditions 100% covered!"

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Still in reconciliation, so they can do with 50 until May's end.

This bill is not gonna fly under reconciliation. Unless they want to overrule the parliamentarian which, again, is like nuking the filibuster. And that idea does not have the support it needs among the republicans.

studyguy

They throw them into high risk pools which historically have been underfunded and lower their collective bargaining power. If the entire electorate is on the same playing field, they push around more influence when changes are made to the ACA. Pushing the gravely sick to high risk pools means they're sidelined in the same discussions. Nevermind the fact that the ONLY high risk pool that has worked in any measure is the one with unlimited funding through the government for kidney failures.

High risk pools are an underfunded joke, a side closet to shove the sick in so they can be ignored while they die.

Exile20

So... we're talking as if this bill is going through, huh? What makes us think this one will pass this time, guys?

Republicans are going for it even if they don't like it because they think it is going to change anyway at the senate. They want a win and they will get it any way they can.

Ithil

Republicans are going for it even if they don't like it because they think it is going to change anyway at the senate. They want a win and they will get it any way they can.

It's a win that may cause a massive loss in 2018. Every "Yes" vote needs to be branded to those congresspeople permanently.

Alphahawk

I think a lot of people just worry about the unknown. A blocked bill in the house is much more appealing to people with pre existing conditions than a bill that passed but will most likely be gutted.

Also I think a lot of people are panicking and playing "what if" scenarios.

darkwing

I think this is the general consensus , watch Trump trumpet this win during his campaigns

Zolo

Yeah. I expect this to pass the house if only for Republicans who don't want a recorded 'no' and figure it won't pass the Senate anyway.

Ponn

Banned

You are going to have a blast getting older.

studyguy

wut
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/860170830453628928
Bradd Jaffy (@BraddJaffy)
GOP leaders played ‘Rocky’ theme at a.m. meeting; congresswoman told colleagues “Let’s get this f--king thing done!”

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/860169198659653632
Phil Mattingly (@Phil_Mattingly)
.@GOPLeader to @DanaBashCNN: "We are giving people actual freedom."

Nothing is more free than the sweet release of death after your sickness claims your life.

Also it's worth waiting that all high risk pools mandate a minimum of 3 month waiting period to receive benefits iirc. So that's fun.

Skatterd

I think a lot of people just worry about the unknown. A blocked bill in the house is much more appealing to people with pre existing conditions than a bill that passed but will most likely be gutted.

Also I think a lot of people are panicking and playing "what if" scenarios.

No offense, but you've had a pretty healthy life I wager?

Still in reconciliation, so they can do with 50 until May's end.
That's not how reconciliation works. There are time components, but the primary requirement is that the provisions of the bill must only alter the budget, so, spending and taxing. Anything that introduces new regulations or anything of the sort is not doable through reconciliation. The EHB waiver definitely doesn't pass muster, so either they nuke the filibuster or alter the bill enough to fit under reconciliation and send it back to the House.

shiba5

That is their thinking. They need to atleast get a win.

A win for whom? A win for a President with a historically low approval rating? Why would you risk the backlash for that?? I mean the attack ads write themselves.
This is just insane on every level.

Today's Trump tweet:
"We're gonna take care of a lot of people, great great people."

He's going to take care of us like a mob boss takes care of people. Cement shoes for everyone in the high risk pool.
Maybe great, great people just means the great, great billionaires - the only ones who get a "win" out of this.

Top Bottom