• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Exile20

C-_uZ6SXYAAIB37.jpg:large

Rep. Mike Coffman‏Verified account @RepMikeCoffman 16m16 minutes ago
Coffman on his ‘No' Vote on AHCA: pic.twitter.com/jcsYqLmVid

A win for whom? A win for a President with a historically low approval rating? Why would you risk the backlash for that?? I mean the attack ads write themselves.
This is just insane on every level.

Today's Trump tweet:
"We're gonna take care of a lot of people, great great people."

He's going to take care of us like a mob boss takes care of people. Cement shoes for everyone in the high risk pool.
It was a campaign promise that Trump made. Many people still want it repealed and replaced.

Neoweee

So... we're talking as if this bill is going through, huh? What makes us think this one will pass this time, guys?

They wouldn't put it to the vote if they didn't think it had the support to pass. This has gotten substantially farther than the previous attempt.

RoKKeR

I guess I don't know why the moderates are now on board with this? Or is it just that the Freedom Caucas is now on board that it doesn't matter?

elty

A win for whom? A win for a President with a historically low approval rating? Why would you risk the backlash for that?? I mean the attack ads write themselves.
This is just insane on every level.

Today's Trump tweet:
"We're gonna take care of a lot of people, great great people."

He's going to take care of us like a mob boss takes care of people. Cement shoes for everyone in the high risk pool.
Maybe great, great people just means the great, great billionaires - the only ones who get a "win" out of this.

top 1% = 3 million = a lot

wealthy people = great people

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I guess I don't know why the moderates are now on board with this? Or is it just that the Freedom Caucas is now on board that it doesn't matter?

Moderates always were on board. They made the bill worse bit by bit until they got enough far righters that the handful of moderates they lost was outweighed.

Alphahawk

I really am going to try to take a break from this thread. It's just making me nervous. It most likely will not pass the Senate and this thread just is full of peope imagining the worst case scenarios.

jmdajr

C-_uZ6SXYAAIB37.jpg:large

Rep. Mike Coffman‏Verified account @RepMikeCoffman 16m16 minutes ago
Coffman on his ‘No’ Vote on AHCA: pic.twitter.com/jcsYqLmVid

It was a campaign promise that Trump made. Many people still want it repealed and replaced.

Be an adult. "You kids don't know what you want. I'm not replacing it for your own good."

But that's not remotely close to how any of this works.

So basically, don't ever get laid off or fired.

Interesting thing is that you are only allowed lapses of 63 days but normally insurance doesn't kick in at a new job for 90 days so even if you had a new job the next day you would lapse unless you continued to pay COBRA while unemployed. 180 day gaps should be the minimum if the coverage was due to job loss.

tuxfool

Banned
Moderates always were on board. They made the bill worse bit by bit until they got enough far righters that the handful of moderates they lost was outweighed.

This is the gist of it. The only real reason they had to fear was because of losing their elections, not because they found the bill particularly objectionable.

hawk2025

I really am going to try to take a break from this thread. It's just making me nervous. It most likely will not pass the Senate and this thread just is full of peope imagining the worst case scenarios.

You told people who just lost their jobs to go buy something expensive.

A break sounds like a pretty fucking good idea.

Exile20

And they critisized how the ACA got through and they are ramming this without a CBO and without anyone reading it until 8pm last night?

These republicans have no shame. They don't give a fuck.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member

Well... worst case scenario has really shown up over and over again in 2017, so you can't blame people for reacting this way.

And they critisized how the ACA got through and they are ramming this without a CBO and without anyone reading it until 8pm last night?

These republicans have no shame. They don't give a fuck.

They know their supporters will never hold them accountable for hypocrisy.

Neoweee

You're really optimistic with no real reason.

Never assume that being on a plan at some point will protect you. Lapses can and will happen, and insurance companies can do a bunch of things to get high-risk people back into the market.

Tubie

Trump will claim this as a massive victory and his supporters will believe him, even right until the day they die due to lack of healthcare.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, no, not really? This isn't true.

We'll agree to disagree on that.

Ain't no truth or untruth on this one - worst case scenario from a healthcare standpoint is right in front of us as a possibility. If you have a loved one, or are directly effected by a "pre-existing condition" this is a horrible reality to face. This is worst case scenario.

And in terms of other shit set up by executive order, this has certainly been a time of dark portents.

NewFresh

Trump will claim this as a massive victory and his supporters will believe him, even right until the day they die due to lack of healthcare.

Yeah. This is going to burn me up inside along with any health problems I develop in the future.

I'm done losing sleep over the people who believe Trump is great no matter what.

Because no matter he does those people are going to believe Trump is great. We don't need their votes to win in 2018 and we don't need their votes to win in 2020.

Yes, I think there are a bunch of people who voted for Trump who would go 'I never noticed before, but he's right!' if Trump went on TV and said the sky was green, but there isn't really anything we can do about people like that but pull our hair out and slam our heads into a wall.

So I'm beyond worrying about them. Maybe one day they'll realize the emperor isn't wearing clothes. But the 'protest' voter, or the person who held their nose and voted Trump, or the person who stayed home because they thought Clinton had it in the bag?

Yeah. We can still reach those people if we're smart about things.

Not sure on that one. He has an approval of 36-40%, and the original bill had an approval of 17%...He's going to have to do a lot of work convincing I think and the right is too split on this overall to unify a message outside of Paul Ryan and Trump.

when this doesn't pass. who will they blame. is paul ryan still around?

omg Louisiana support this? but then again this is a red state. i'm not surprise the outcome.

_woLf

@NatalieBrandK5

#Breaking @davereichert tells @KING5Seattle he will be a NO on healthcare bill. "This bill although a good attempt falls short."

I called, tweeted and emailed him to vote no. He was in the "lean yes" category.

We can still fight this shit!

Ithil

Every time they mention how this will gut Medicare and Medicaid

Donald J. Trump‏@realDonaldTrump
I was the first & only potential GOP candidate to state there will be no cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid. Huckabee copied me.
7 May 2015

Top Bottom