• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Neoweee

Not sure on that one. He has an approval of 36-40%, and the original bill had an approval of 17%...He's going to have to do a lot of work convincing I think and the right is too split on this overall to unify a message outside of Paul Ryan and Trump.

Trump has a 42% approval rating, vs 52% disapproval. Don't cherry pick polls. He's unpopular, but not wildly so, not that far beyond where Obama was at various points of his presidency, at at the same fraction of people with opinions that he got during the election.

KoopaTheCasual

I called, tweeted and emailed him to vote no. He was in the "lean yes" category.

We can still fight this shit!
So are we just gonna ignore this?

Seems like a big fcking deal that even "lean yes" Representatives are declaring no.

Just a couple of them and undecided voters switch to no, and this thing doesn't even make it out of the House.

Trump has a 42% approval rating, vs 52% disapproval. Don't cherry pick polls. He's unpopular, but not wildly so, not that far beyond where Obama was at various points of his presidency, at at the same fraction of people with opinions that he got during the election.

But this early into the presidency is pretty bad and worse than most by quite a bit.

He is more unpopular in the first 100 days than any other president who had their popularity tracked through that period. Also his lowest point in popularity so far is lower than Obama hit at any point in all eight years.

But tell yourself whatever you want.

Eidan

Trump is wildly unpopular for a president whose 100th day in office just passed a week ago. It's still to be seen if his popularity will drop further as he goes further into his first year, as it inevitably does with all presidents.

It's abnormal for a president to be that low in approval this early in their presidency. Normally, they start high then roller coaster.

iammeiam

So are we just gonna ignore this?

Seems like a big fcking deal that even "lean yes" Representatives are declaring no.

Just a couple of them and undecided voters switch to no, and this thing doesn't even make it out of the House.

It's a reason to keep pushing, but it's also worth noting that if the Republicans can secure exactly enough Yes's to get it through, they can free people in riskier districts to do a meaningless No vote to not take the reputation hit.

Hopefully it's a good sign, and hopefully more will follow, but if they know the votes in advance it could just be them giving him a pass

Exile20

What are you talking about? This the honeymoon period. This is worst than any president ever at this time during presidency.

Neoweee

He is more unpopular in the first 100 days than any other president who had their popularity tracked through that period. Also his lowest point in popularity so far is lower than Obama hit at any point in all eight years.

But tell yourself whatever you want.

Yes, I will tell myself what reams of data actually show. Yes, he's less popular that Obama, or most presidents were at varying times. But historic precedent for approval #s is dodgy. We are in an unprecedented phase of partisanship in American history, and the norm is to have a wildly divisive president. Trump run by being about as popular as he is now, and Obama won in 2012 despite being the most reviled presidential candidate up until then. Looking at simple historic comparisons and trends of approval numbers is clearly missing a lot of big picture stuff.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/860155002895073280
Haley Byrd (@byrdinator)
Meadows says he thinks it would be "problematic" for the Senate to send AHCA back to the House without defunding Planned Parenthood

HFC is likely going to freak out at what comes back from the Senate. The guy talking now is literally on point about telling the Senate "Good luck with that" in fixing it.

Also where we stand moments to go:
C-_46GTXcAAQtSP.jpg

Can't wait to see what my insurance will cost me with my "pre-existing conditions" of depression X rheumatoid arthritis.

Taking a job offer in another country and jumping through hoops to get citizenship looks better and better depending on how 2018/20 shake out.

DR2K

Banned
So it passes in the house, gets rewritten in the Senate, sent back to the house to die a fabulous death. If it somehow passes in the house it still has a long way to go.

Tubie

I remember how Trump went on and on about all those "beautiful places" that were dealing with the Heroin epidemic and how he was going to fix it.

So many people fell for this bullshit.

Now we see that he's gonna fix it by cutting access to health care for patients with a history of mental illness and/or substance abuse.

Wonder how that will go.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/860179955711262720
David Dayen (@ddayen)
The last 15 minutes or so on the House floor has been all Democrats; Republicans uninterested in even trying to defend this thing
Just waiting the clock out.

https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/860178355165048832
Jeff Stein (@JStein_Vox)
.@SenatorCollins .@senatorburr (R-NC) says he thinks Senate can get Ryan's bill thru in ~4 weeks, should bypass committees that are "too politicized"

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

studyguy

I assume if Issa votes yes, he likely got bought out since his ass is probably getting bounced out no matter how he votes on the bill. Man's victory was razor thin.

Neoweee

Hoping Darrell Issa votes "No". He seems like a pretty reasonable guy.

New York and California are especially interesting, because they are fucked like no other states are by the AHCA.

Even without this bill, Orange County is one of the areas most likely to flip if if the trend of partisan identification continue along education lines, as has been the case recently.

Ithil

They just keep repeating the same lie over and over "This is gonna reduce costs and protect folk more and give more choice and liberty and freedom and America....somehow". Nothing about this bill supports anything they are claiming, it's downright fraudulent.

Rubenov

I really am going to try to take a break from this thread. It's just making me nervous. It most likely will not pass the Senate and this thread just is full of peope imagining the worst case scenarios.

It will pass the Senate, eventually. Twinkering will undoubtedly occur, but it will pass. The stakes are too high and they've got momentum. In 1 - 2 months it's over.

Alphahawk

According to New York Times there are 17 republicans who are definatly voting no and 25 listed as "Undecided or Unclear" if less six members switch this is this thing is dead.

Link

It will pass the Senate, eventually. Twinkering will undoubtedly occur, but it will pass. The stakes are too high and they've got momentum. In 1 - 2 months it's over.

If it gets passed, is only part of the story. It will, as you say, undoubtedly change, and those changes may be more favorable. Then it has to go get back to the house, where it again would have a difficult time. So this thing could be deadlocked to 2018, which could spell its death.

If by some miracle this passes both houses and gets signed into law...Democrats in 2018 and beyond "Restore and Repair Obamacare" needs to be a thing and a public option needs to be at the forefront of that conversation.

Elandyll

Banned
Is there still a chance they could delay or cancel the vote?
CNN reports the GOP House members are "giddy with anticipation", and were playing "Eye of the Tiger" earlier.

They have the votes locked, or they think so.
Doubtful some would turn back to no at the last second without a new element like a CBO scoring in the mix.

Ill say it again.

In a insurance system like this, both the insurance companies and the doctors/providers/ pharma/etc are trying to get a profit on you,

Get rid of the fucking insurance companies. Save money.

RDreamer

If anything like this becomes law, I'm going to have a hard time looking at all my Republican-voting relatives and in-laws in the face.

I already can't. One part of my family is boycotting my wedding because I told him to fuck off after celebrating Trump's win on Facebook.

Top Bottom