• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Attempted to call my congressman several times today and got a message that the call couldn't be completed and that the lines were inundated so either he turned his phones off or people are calling a lot.

Ponn

Banned
CNN reports the GOP House members are "giddy with anticipation", and were playing "Eye of the Tiger" earlier.

They have the votes locked, or they think so.
Doubtful some would turn back to no at the last second without a new element like a CBO scoring in the mix.

This literally makes me nauseous. The complete disregard of being decent human beings to one another and the debate of saving lives and all of our health as nothing more than a commodity just burns me to the core. My life and health, the life and health of my family and friends is not a fucking political pawn nor should it ever be. The fact that this is even a debate or discussion just makes me have no hope in humanity.

I already can't. One part of my family is boycotting my wedding because I told him to fuck off after celebrating Trump's win on Facebook.

I'm considering taking whatever presents I can get from them and then burning some fucking bridges to the ground and tell them all off.

Most of them don't know I'm an atheist either so maybe I'll just rip that bandaid off while telling them off.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

I haven't been following this as closely as I should be... but let me get this straight... these changes apply to the entire health care market, right? This isn't just about plans that are subsidized and bought through the exchange?

Like, when Obamacare banned insurers from discriminating against customers with pre-existing conditions, it applied to everyone in the Nation... and now we're going back against that?

Shouldn't the entire country be upset about this?? This seems like it affects everyone. What if you get sick and lose your job and insurance? No more buying new insurance?

kirblar

C/Ping from PoliGAF:

Lisa Desjardins‏@LisaDNews
SPOTTED: buses outside US House. THEORY (mine + a source): to take GOP members for as-yet-unannounced event at WH after AHCA passage.

C-_8RbRUMAQ6B8M.jpg
They're quadrupling down on this, huh?

Ithil

I haven't been following this as closely as I should be... but let me get this straight... these changes apply to the entire health care market, right? This isn't just about plans that are subsidized and bought through the exchange?

Like, when Obamacare banned insurers from discriminating against customers with pre-existing conditions, it applied to everyone in the Nation... and now we're going back against that?

Shouldn't the entire country be upset about this?? This seems like it affects everyone. What if you get sick and lose your job and insurance? No more buying new insurance?

The GOP are trying to rush this bill through before there's enough time for a backlash. There's no CBO report on it, almost none of them even got to read the bill before last night, etc, it's a scam.

KingV

I'm considering taking whatever presents I can get from them and then burning some fucking bridges to the ground and tell them all off.

Most of them don't know I'm an atheist either so maybe I'll just rip that bandaid off while telling them off.

"Y'all would got to hell IF IT EVEN EXISTED!"
Drop the mic
First dance to Get Low by lil John

darkwing

from what I understand, you can still get insurance but higher premiums?

Welp, here comes closing arguments. Almost show time. Tonight is going to be lit, regardless of the outcome. I hope everyone protests the shit out of them.

And if they fail again? Another big laughing stock spree.

AndyD

aka andydumi
from what I understand, you can still get insurance but higher premiums?

Of note, there is no requirement to create plans to cover everything that was covered before, even if better/worse ones exist. So in some markets you may end up with nothing but cheaper but crappier plans.

smisk

Love how these guys are so happy about taking insurance away from millions of people. Though I believe the Medicaid expansion doesn't go away until 2020 so there's some time.

In theory, if this new law passes, how long will it take to go into effect?

How long would it be before states stop receiving medicaid funding and people lose their coverage?

Pastry

Banned
In theory, if this new law passes, how long will it take to go into effect?

How long would it be before states stop receiving medicaid funding and people lose their coverage?

This still has to go to the Senate. Several weeks of public outrage and a CBO score might doom this there, but who fucking knows. There need to be protests this weekend though

At this point, they are using the same strategy that Trump is using: try as much as the want in the hopes that the public gets tired of it. Mother fuckers that they are.

gspec

It is not going to pass through the senate because they will need 60 votes to break filabuster and the budget reconciliation deadline has passed already.

Top Bottom