• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

leakey

How I like to imagine the bill arriving in the Senate.
giphy.gif

I've been told repeatedly, for years, to never underestimate the stupidity of House Republicans but it still shocks me sometimes.

Well you need to redefine where that stupidity lies.
When someone tells you for 7 years that they are going to do something
When people elect them into office after them telling what they plan to do.

Why do we still act surprised that they actually follow through and likely will pay no price for it.

Trickster

I dont understand that voting screen at all. I mean there's obviously no way that democrats have over 100 people voting yes

edit - this is not the actual bill?

RaidenZR

When they arrive in their town hall, yeah, they'll care.

There's been an influx of stories that expose the fact that LOTS of reps haven't been bothering to show up to town halls. They don't care anymore and don't want to get yelled at by liberals. Yet, in lots of districts it doesn't seem to matter. Republican voters still, despite things being done in their worst interests, usually vote for the party.

So what is going on in Iowa with healthcare right now?
Their most prolific provider is threatening to pull out out of the exchanges. The reason? Because of the uncertainty surrounding the continuing payments to insurers for insuring low income customers. You know, the very payments that Trump and Mulvaney have been using as leverage and threatening to hold hostage during the spending bill negotiations (hence creating the very uncertainty causing Medica to want to bail out!)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I dont understand that voting screen at all. I mean there's obviously no way that democrats have over 100 people voting yes

edit - this is not the actual bill?

They aren't voting on the bill itself. They're voting on whether congressmen should be exempt. Yes means they are not exempt.

muu

What's the upshot for these guys voting yes other than having a victory? Wouldn't it be political suicide considering the opposition, or do they expect to be punished more by the GOP for not going along w/ the party?

Swiggins

Assuming it passes the house, what are its chances in the Senate?

Depends on how the Republicans package it. If they need 60 votes it'll never pass.

If they package it as budget reconciliation they only need a simple majority and it will likely pass the Senate.

However, the Senate will UNDOUBTEDLY make changes that might make it less appealing to House Republicans, which would mean they need to vote again.

The short answer is...it's complicated.

Mathieran

Banned
So this bill would only benefit shareholders and CEOs of health insurance companies, so maybe a couple thousand people, while hurting millions of people in the process, and republicans are giddy about it? Sounds about right.

The first vote is for the amendment that made it were Congressman will not be protected from pre-exisiting condition being cut, and be under the same rules as everyone else, I'm pretty sure.

Trickster

They aren't voting on the bill itself. They're voting on whether congressmen should be exempt. Yes means they are not exempt.

Aha, so the NV, which I'm guessing stands for no vote, is basically those who want to be exempt, but know it's political suicide more or less.

sangreal

Why would you want hundreds of Dems on record as voting for something so blatantly corrupt?

They dont have to vote at all for starters. But they're also not voting to add that to the bill, they're voting to let the GOP remove it without rewriting the bill. It's a provision owned by the GOP on a bill owned by the GOP. Let them deal with it

Swass

This is intentional. Theyre doing the bare minimum of yes' s to hurt the moderates less.

Yeah, telling that they know this bill is so bad that they want the least fallout as possible.. still would be great if just 1 member got their vote wrong.

Riddler

So this bill would only benefit shareholders and CEOs of health insurance companies, so maybe a couple thousand people, while hurting millions of people in the process, and republicans are giddy about it? Sounds about right.

Choice bro it's about choice
/s

iammeiam

Why are Democrats voting for this amendment? Let it pass with the exemption in place

Strategically refusing to remove the exemption is only a good tactic if it accomplishes something; it doesn't really. Republicans will certainly have the votes for it, nobody's overall position on the bill itself is going to change if the exemption were left in. Literally the only thing a no vote would do is serve as fodder for future attack ads.

When he was listing vote timeframes, did he say they'd have 15 minutes to vote on this and then 5 minutes for subsequent votes? so 3x the time for an exemption vote as the actual health care bill itself?

Top Bottom