• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

jmdajr

How is budget reconciliation decided? Who holds the key?

source.gif

Democrats didn't allow shit. Get your head out your ass. Fucking purity tests and blaming Democrats while the fucking GOP are the ones who actually championed this and passed it.

I know exactly who is to blame here. And I can also see Democrats acting giddy on the other side.

https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/860166603446652928 said:
Nancy Pelosi: "Someone asked me, 'Why dont you stop them?' Because we want them to define themselves ...They will walk this plank for nothing"

Democratic party leaders think they can continue to run weak tea candidates and rely on Republicans to shoot themselves in the foot. It didn't work in November and they're ready to double down.

It's not a purity test to ask for the party to put forward an actual positive vision for the country instead of rubbing their hands together waiting for the other side to do something stupid.

studyguy

All CA Republican reps voted for the bill. Clinton won in 7 of those districts in 2016. They really are jumping off a cliff.

Toxi

Banned
The senate republicans will pass this. They don't give a fuck if people die as long as the rich get their tax cuts which this healthcare law will help pave the path for. They are a bunch of lowlife excuse for human beings. They don't have an ounce of humanity left in them.
They do care about getting reelected though.

Seeing plenty of tweets come through my timeline of people I know are liberals complaining about the singing.

Are they also the type of liberals calling for the rise of a new party?

Because I'd imagine there are lefties looking for any excuse to shit on the Dems because they are almost as invested in seeing that party die as they are opposing the right wing

I know exactly who is to blame here. And I can also see Democrats acting giddy on the other side.

Democratic party leaders think they can continue to run weak tea candidates and rely on Republicans to shoot themselves in the foot. It didn't work in November and they're ready to double down.

It's not a purity test to ask for the party to put forward an actual positive vision for the country instead of rubbing their hands together waiting for the other side to do something stupid.

Are you saying that's what they did in November? Or 2014? Or 2012? Because that's bullshit.

pigeon

Banned

A majority of House Dems have cosponsored a Medicare for All bill.

Tall4Life

Negative ads work way better than positive ones

I'm wondering if there is a path to this getting through the Senate without nuking the filibuster even with reconciliation

I don't think that's correct, this is not the same as nuking the filibuster for the Supreme Court nominee

There is no filibuster possible for Reconciliation.

Jeffrey

Always interesting to see how different the house and senate in terms of districts.

Cuts to medicaid are gonna hurt some big gop territories and those senators are already wary the first time around.

But making it more moderate will piss the house off.

Getting pass the house was the easy part lol. Now the real challenge begins.

This is bullshit. Democrats had plans and actual policies. To say they just waited around hoping for the best is bullshit.

Democratic voters certainly did, though. Not exciting enough candidates! Not perfect enough! Going to stay home, then!

Alucrid

Banned

and yet right above that tweet is (schumer)vows Senate will defeat House health bill. "We will use every procedural tool we can find."

Called my Rep but it was too late. Didn't realize the vote was so early in the day. He voted along party lines with a yes of course. I'll definitely be voting against him next election but this whole debacle is so frustrating.

It feels like there's no point in calling a Republican representative when you know damn well they'll never not vote party lines.

Piggus

I'm in the district of that shitstain Greg Walden. That motherfucker is feeling the heat on Twitter right now and all his phone lines are busy. Can't wait to vote that fucker out of office.

oti

Banned
Not yet, it isn't.

For judicial appointments, yes. For legislation, it still exists. For now.

Not true, the legislative filibuster is still there

Congressional procedure rules are complicated. The filibuster is nuked for judicial nominees, not bills.

No, this is false. The legislative filibuster is still a thing, and McConnell probably won't ditch it for this pile of garbage.

You're wrong. Filibuster was only abolished for SC nominees.

I see.

Your system is super weird.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What would you have them do? They all voted against it. There's literally no other legal recourse for them at this stage. They're not allowing anyone to die. The Republicans are going to murder people.

All I ask is they get in the headset of a average person that don't care about partisan politics but does care a whole lot about how this bill will affect them.

The correct emotion is being pissed off, not cocky.

Both sides shit is the Democrats biggest problem, but ignoring it isn't going to make it go away, and I hate how often they walk right into it by being absolutely clueless.

How is budget reconciliation decided? Who holds the key?

source.gif

The key is the bill itself.

-The AHCA would have to show it LOWERS the total budget deficit in order to pass for a simple 51 majority vote. Aka, the Byrd Rule - you can't pass a bill on a simple majority unless it lowers the budget deficit at the same time. But that is almost impossible without chopping it up even further, especially since they just added millions to the bill last night in order to keep some preexisting condition exemptions.

You could try looking at the party platform along with policy goals of all of the candidates to start off instead of spreading misinformation.

Alucrid

Banned
All I ask is they get in the headset of a average person that don't care about partisan politics but does care a whole lot about how this bill will affect them.

The correct emotion is pissed off, not cocky.

yeah i'm sure they're super not pissed off at this passing the house

Last year - literally, last year - there were two high profile Democrats running around the country, doing just that.

They're not giddy they'are being fucking sarcastic and scathing... Jesus christ.

They're literally saying this bill is so bad y'all just voted yourselves out...

This is bullshit. Democrats had plans and actual policies. To say they just waited around hoping for the best is bullshit.

Democratic voters certainly did, though. Not exciting enough candidates! Not perfect enough! Going to stay home, then!

Yeah seriously the fuck is wrong with people. The left can't see the forest for the trees especially with Hillary and either didn't vote or voted 3rd party, both a vote for Trump. Use this as an instance to grow the fuck up and realize that not having your dreamboat candidate but having someone who is on platform that is much farther left than the other major party is better than shrugging and hoping for the best. So fucking stupid and childish.

Top Bottom