• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

wait

just hearing that the house dems started singing when the bill got passed to the senate?

l o l

this kinda shit is why nobody likes dem representatives

they were singing mocking the GOP telling them to GTFO.

christ

Again bitching about the Dems while the GOP just voted to fuck tens of millions of people.

Alucrid

Banned
this twitter image captures the moment perfectly:

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/860202745193783297

C_AQVD3XkAEwUFi.jpg

the next one should be trump's kids posing next to the dead animal

TyrantII

The CBO is going to be worse than the last one and McConnel was on the record as not liking the last bill.

Doesn't matter. Perception is reality and the teaparty elected the house and president.

They'll make some minor changes to provide some optic cover with the terrible press and pass it essentially unchanged. They need it so they can pass tax cuts for the rich through reconciliation in the next budget. They need the revenue.

Well, even my rep broke ranks to vote no.

Good fucking bye to any rep who voted yay in a deep blue state though

They deliberately planned votes to give reps in danger the freedom to hide their support.that's why it passed by 1 vote. You should really assume he supports the bill in private and continue campaigning against him

Ithil

wait

just hearing that the house dems started singing when the bill got passed to the senate?

l o l

GOP passes an abhorrent bill intended to destroy health care for tens of millions and this is your concern, a few seconds of mocking singing.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Probably the only thing they can do is to decrease the Medicaid eligibility. Basically everything else probably requires 60 votes.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot more they can do than that. They even passed a proof of concept of it in 2015.

JZA

I'm in California and called my Congressman whose staffer reassured me that he is most certainly voting against the AHCA. This was encouraging.

Messaged my friends in Florida about the AHCA vote to let them know, little to no response. Got one "I'm covered through my job."

Boke1879

wait

l o l

Why are you even worried about that? This isn't even going to be a thing tomorrow. Focus on what the GOP just did.

Y'all worry about shit that doesn't matter simply to make little quips like "this is why no one likes dem representatives" like that's even the issue.

this twitter image captures the moment perfectly:

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/860202745193783297

C_AQVD3XkAEwUFi.jpg
No it doesn't.

This will not hurt the Republicans very much or for very long. Their base is stupid/ignorant.

The Dems/left just refusing to participate in anything outside of presidential elections is what needs the most attention. And I don't see that happening right now. Too many purity tests from the Bernie fanatics.

Allard

don't know what to tell you, people were saying this won't get voted upon again but here we are

now where is that picture of the man that was nervous about Trump

People thought they wouldn't vote on it again because we thought someone in the GOP on the house side had a brain, safe to say that was wrong. They are not going to nuke the filibuster for legislative practices in the senate for this turd of a bill, the pre-existing condition clause that went into this bill likely won't survive reconciliation, there has been zero plan set out by the GOP in the senate on what they want to see in the bill which means it still has to pass senate majority under reconciliation rules before there has even been a plan for it and once again still has to pass the house again. Hurray the house managed to do the most minimal of minimal steps necessary to kick the can down the road, it still has to go back to them eventually if it isn't permanently shelved in the senate, and now all these assholes have a clear record on it for 2018 election cycle.

Skatterd

wait

l o l

Yeah the GOP literally voted to kill people but fuck them elitist dems for singing right? What are they thinking?

wait

l o l

What should I be more concerned about

That dems started singing or that if I will die if I lose health insurance

Take a step back and realize your priorities are completely and utterly backwards

Berordn

I'm in California and called my Congressman whose staffer reassured me that he is most certainly voting against the AHCA. This was encouraging.

Messaged my friends in Florida about this to let them know, no responses.

Our senators are Marco Rubio and Bill Nelson, one of whom is already committed to voting against this, and the other is Marco Rubio.

Ithil

No it doesn't.

This will not hurt the Republicans very much or for very long. Their base is stupid/ignorant.

The Dems/left just refusing to participate in anything outside of presidential elections is what needs the most attention. And I don't see that happening right now. Too many purity tests from the Bernie fanatics.

Every single Yes vote is a ready made attack ad. It will hurt them.

Afrikan

Why are people more irritated by what the Dems are doing as opposed to what the Republicans have done?

Have we not established who the real enemy is or are we still too busy tearing down our own allies?

because it's the same thing with other aspects of life.

People will be harder on people they expect better from......than the ones who they don't respect at all.

Happens in the work place... family.... etc.

It's not right, but damn if it's not true for many people.

they voted no. BFD if they sang.

the republicans just voted to kill people.

get some clarity.

they were singing mocking the GOP telling them to GTFO.

christ

Again bitching about the Dems while the GOP just voted to fuck tens of millions of people.

you must be a trump supporter my good dude, you clearly haven't thought this through~

GOP passes an abhorrent bill intended to destroy health care for tens of millions and this is your concern, a few seconds of mocking singing.

I mean

The bill is a horrible thing. Dems are getting right up their ass if they start singing, even if meant to be mocking to the GOP.

It's not some great protest. It is a matter of optics. Singing after a shitty thing was passed is a joke, and optics do matter. Re: the 2016 election. Did we forget already?

And lol accusing me of being a trump supporter, pretty boy.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't understand the language of the bill. Sorry for being dumb but can someone explain:

SEC. 205. INDIVIDUAL MANDATE.
14 (a) IN GENERAL.—Section 5000A(c) of the Internal
15 Revenue Code of 1986 is amended—
16 (1) in paragraph (2)(B)(iii), by striking ‘‘2.5
17 percent’’ and inserting ‘‘Zero percent’’, and

That effectively means no more mandate?

I mean

The bill is a horrible thing. Dems are getting right up their ass if they start singing, even if meant to be mocking to the GOP.

It's not some great protest. It is a matter of optics. Singing after a shitty thing was passed is a joke, and optics do matter. Re: the 2016 election. Did we forget already?

They are singing at the GOP... as in singing your bill is fucking stupid and you are all stupid for voting for it.... Christ this is an act of defiance and you dedicated one sentence to the bill and the rest to getting mad at the Dems.

When sports metaphors go wrong

@mollyhooper
.@Reince exiting gop cloakroom tells me: "The president stepped up and helped punt the ball into the end zone."

I'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread - what comes out of the senate will be a demonstrably different bill which will invariably kill it once again when it goes back to the house since the freedom caucus will have a shitfit at anything remotely moderate in the senate bill.

Toxi

Banned
Is anyone saying the singing is worse than voting for the bill?
That they're whining about the singing at all shows the absurdity of this situation.

The Democrats voted against the bill. They voted to have people keep their health insurance. BUT OH THEY WERE SINGING SO THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO WILL BE AFFECTED BY THIS

They are singing at the GOP... as in singing your bill is fucking stupid and you are all stupid for voting for it.... Christ this is an act of defiance and you dedicated one sentence to the bill and the rest to getting mad at the Dems.

I'm mad at the dems losing what should have been an easy election in 2016.

So yeah, I put some of the blame on what we're going through on them just as I put a major blame on the GOP.

No it doesn't.

They won't ignore the extra zeroes they'll be seeing on their bills that won't get covered.

No, as the subsequent debate over the AHCA has made clear, people voted for the GOP's unicorn healthcare proposal, i.e., the one that would offer "something great for everyone", in Trump's words.

Once the GOP had to actually produce this proposal, the magnitude of their deceit became apparent. The GOP's policies do the exact opposite of what their rhetoric called for.

Everything the GOP does is in contradiction to what a lot of their constituents want. They don't care. They just want to stick it to the party that welcomes thugs and jihadists. You guys try to apply logic to these issues and it's pointless. Apply a hateful racist spin and that's what's going to happen.

The 2018 election is not the 2016 election. In fact the midterms always reflect what has happened in the 2 years since the Presisential election. So to somehow say 2018 is going to turn out like 2016 is completely ignoring all precedent.

Right now the Dems are fired up. We have seen it in the marches and special elections. I seriously doubt that fire will be extinguished. It could flare up or dim depending on how the Democratic party gets along though.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm mad at the dems losing what should have been an easy election in 2016.

So yeah, I put some of the blame on what we're going through on them just as I put a major blame on the GOP.

cool, stay being pissy about something you can't change while seemingly not giving a fuck about the things that you can.

I mean

Is anyone saying the singing is worse than voting for the bill?

Because every time people such as yourselves bring it up you distract from the vitriol rightfully directed towards the Republicans and feed into the right wing media spin.

Please stop being part of the problem.

I'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread - what comes out of the senate will be a demonstrably different bill which will invariably kill it once again when it goes back to the house since the freedom caucus will have a shitfit at anything remotely moderate in the senate bill.

Can you actually be sure of that? At that point they wouldn't be killing a possible repeal/replace, they would be killing a law. I'm not sure their spine is that strong.

Top Bottom