• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

D i Z

Why do people think this will cause Republicans to lose seats? This is why people voted for them to begin with.

Once people got their heads out of their asses and saw separation from the labels of everything that irritant black guy did, they ran out and got themselves some of that health care. Perhaps for the first time in years. Now that the propaganda machines are turned off on the matter, it turns out they kind of like having coverage and don't want it taken away.

Miracle

Why are people more irritated by what the Dems are doing as opposed to what the Republicans have done?

Have we not established who the real enemy is or are we still too busy tearing down our own allies?

It's all we're good at at the moment. Thus the creation of Gamergate, Alt-right, etc.

This whole thing is just sickening. There are a group of people in power killing this country. Beyond frustrated.

I'm glad the Democrats think that allowing people to die is a political win for them.

Man, what a fucking garbage Hot Take.

Dems have no power to stop GOP if they want to indulge their sociopathy. Dems aren't "allowing" anything to happen. Why do you arm-chair generals not understand this? Is it willful ignorance, or just trolling?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Not sing like idiots and give right wing media something to latch on to, for start.

I think its time Democrats start giving zero shits about what right wing media thinks.

Dems have no power to stop GOP if they want to indulge their sociopathy. Dems aren't "allowing" anything to happen. Why do you arm-chair generals not understand this? Is it willful ignorance, or just trolling?

Maybe he thinks Dems should start fist figthing the GOP in the house lol ? I dont know

-griffy-

Banned
Dems getting mad at dems who all voted NO on the bill for taunting the reps. Meanwhile cases of beer are being rolled into the capitol so the reps who voted this through can literally party.

TyrantII

The party is more solidly behind a public option now. If they could get power it would be relatively "easy" to settle on a bill to pass.

Power meaning controlling of both houses and the executive. Probably 60 votes I'm the Senate since you need that.

The burn it down attitude never works in politics. History says that plan can terribly backfire.

History says coalition building is how you get thing done. You pressure and elected more and more people untill the wave crests.

Not sing like idiots and give right wing media something to latch on to, for start.

H6i99zW.png

let me know how many times more i'll need to post this

heart to heart if you're concerned with """"""class"""""" over a bill where rape victims have to pay more to stay alive you're a shitheel

Heart to heart, if you're concerned with class over a bill that returns us to this status quo:

https://twitter.com/SenSherrodBrown/status/860121515018379264

So what is a pre-existing condition? Let's put it like this - you may pay more for healthcare under their plan if you've been affected by:

AIDS/HIV, acid reflux, acne, ADD, addiction, Alzheimer's/dementia, anemia, aneurysm, angioplasty...
...anorexia, anxiety, arrhythmia, arthritis, asthma, atrial fibrillation, autism, bariatric surgery, basal cell carcinoma...
...bipolar disorder, blood clot, breast cancer, bulimia, bypass surgery, celiac disease, cerebral aneurysm, cerebral embolism...
...cerebral palsy, cerebral thrombosis, cervical cancer, colon cancer, colon polyps, congestive heart failure, COPD, Crohn's disease...
...cystic fibrosis, DMD, depression, diabetes, disabilities, Down syndrome, eating disorder, enlarged prostate, epilepsy, glaucoma...
…gout, heart disease, heart murmur, heartburn, hemophilia, hepatitis C, herpes, high cholesterol, hypertension, hysterectomy...
...kidney disease, kidney stones, kidney transplant, leukemia, lung cancer, lupus, lymphoma, mental health issues, migraines, MS...
...muscular dystrophy, narcolepsy, nasal polyps, obesity, OCD, organ transplant, osteoporosis, pacemaker, panic disorder, paralysis...
...paraplegia, Parkinson's disease, pregnancy, restless leg syndrome, schizophrenia, seasonal affective disorder, seizures...
...sickle cell disease, skin cancer, sleep apnea, sleep disorders, stent, stroke, thyroid issues, tooth disease, tuberculosis...
...and ulcers. To name a few. And chances are, you or someone you know has dealt with something (or multiple things) on this list.

Then you're a fucking moron.

Bsigg12

I'm glad the Democrats think that allowing people to die is a political win for them.

What else can they do at this point? They don't hold any majorities. They have stated the facts countless times and argued how the changes are significantly worse. There is nothing else they can do except let Republicans face the issues that arise from this bill.

Republicans are dead set on repealing and replacing regardless of how much worse off the country is.

zethren

Banned
It passed the House, but I doubt it would pass the Senate without changes. Let's not panic and act like the bill has already been signed to law because it's a long way from that still. I suspect we'll see a lot of pushback once it reaches the Senate.

I certainly wouldn't call this a victory for Trump, but I would call it a travesty in the House.

Or become a citizen of another country, because it will probably take that long to walk all this back if perchance this does get through the Senate without major revisions.

Yeah seriously. I'm glad by I am already a dual citizen and that luckily my wife by marriage is also. We'll always have way better healthcare than anyone here in the states but sad that this isn't an option for the vast majority of Americans.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Who cares if the Dems aren't being classy right now? FUCK YOUR PURITY TESTS!
This is war!

Agreed. I'm tired of being the party that has to politely take it in the ass. It's well past time for Democrats to get down and dirty. We have to start slinging mud at these GOP House members. This vote needs to hurt them and democrats need to pull every dirty trick in the book to make sure it does.

Jimothy

As someone who is losing health coverage at work at the end of May because I didn't make the required hours and was expecting on getting subsidized insurance through the exchange, this is an absolute joy to read. We are so fucked.

Gallbaro

Banned
Based on what information? This is the ass opposite of what has been times before.

Well when the quality of the service provided (which most do not use, nature of insurance) goes down and the limited size pool is no longer required to subsidize preexisting conditions, the median cost will go down.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
From CNBC:

It all comes down to whether or not they can use budget reconciliation or not.

It's not like the Senate can't change the bill to make it pass reconciliation rules, but what the bill looks like in the final form does depend a lot on what the parliamentarian agrees with.

It's possible the freedom caucus won't accept the changes, but I wouldn't count on it when they're all that's standing in the way of it reaching trump's desk, and they know sending it back to the senate drastically changed won't accomplish anything.

gazele

Banned
The CBO needs to put out numbers ASAP. Before this goes through the Senate, people need to know that tens of millions will be loosing healthcare.

The chances of this getting a senate vote before a CBO score are approximately 0

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Here's my take:

While the ACA was flawed from the beginning, it still benefited lots of people
Instead of trying to repeal at first, why not work with Democrats to try to fix the things that are broken? Even if you sure you won't make progress, make the attempt.. start small
this country is too divided right now

And I'm disappointed that the GOP is more worried about "winning" than actually improving the law

Doesn't seem to matter though, the Senate won't approve and this initial bill is just a starting point for a whole new round of negotiations

kirblar

The party is more solidly behind a public option now. If they could get power it would be relatively "easy" to settle on a bill to pass.
Yup. It passed the House in '08 and the Senate composition is different now. (Also, the fillibuster would almost certainly be killed off.)
Surprised Barbara Comstock was a no

Wise move. Very wise.
Dems ran a bad campaign in her district and Clinton won her district. She knows she's in trouble going forward.

Kreed

Yea. No republican or republican leaning voter is going to stay home because of this. This is what they wanted.

I just hope this wakes centrist, apathetic and younger voters up and gets them in the polls in 18 and 20.

The bold is the general idea/why people think they will lose seats over this in "purple" states.

Zubz

Banned
This.
Call your senators. Tell them to vote no.

I'm stuck with Toomey. Out of all of the Republican Party, he's one of the most spineless Trump stooges (100% Yes record on everything Trump passed to him).

He's a disgusting human being, & we're stuck with him & his non-presence until 2022.

It passed the House, but I doubt it would pass the Senate without changes. Let's not panic and act like the bill has already been signed to law because it's a long way from that still. I suspect we'll see a lot of pushback once it reaches the Senate.

I certainly wouldn't call this a victory for Trump, but I would call it a travesty in the House.

Let's not panic, no.

Let's organize.

Let's call our senators, whether they are already a firm yes or a firm no.

Jimothy

Schattenjäger;235734217 said:
Here's my take:

While the ACA was flawed from the beginning, it still benefited lots of people
Instead of trying to repeal at first, why not work with Democrats to try to fix the things that are broken? Even if you sure you won't make progress, make the attempt.. start small
this country is too divided right now

And I'm disappointed that the GOP is more worried about "winning" than actually improving the law

Doesn't seem to matter though, the Senate won't approve and this initial bill is just a starting point for a whole new round of negotiations

You're still under the illusion that the GOP is a party that wants to actually govern in a functioning democracy.

Wallach

is this gonna pass the senate

I don't think so without changes. Senate's not going to fall on this sword, they'll likely prefer to play more political football and punt back to the House after making changes that likely gridlock the House putting the amended version to a vote. Easier for them to try and blame bureaucracy or Democrats as to why it didn't happen.

Neoweee

Democrats didn't allow shit. Get your head out your ass. Fucking purity tests and blaming Democrats while the fucking GOP are the ones who actually championed this and passed it.

Yup. My Green Party friends, and the mythical Paul->Sanders swing voters that I know, are insufferably smug about this shit. "If only the DNC hadn't fucked Bernie!"

Man, are there really some motherfuckers in here trying to put something on DEMS? They all voted against it, they did their fucking jobs, you save that shit trolling and both sides bullshit for another time, this isn't the time for that. Not now.

Presumably the "Upton Amendment" which added 8 billion in funds for this purpose. It does exist as part of the bill, but by all accounts is a drop in the bucket for the funding that it would actually require to properly support those people.

Yep.

The studies of what it'd take for a high risk pool like this to work put the government subsidies required at roughly 20 billion dollars a year.

The money allocated in this bill is 8 billion dollars total to cover a period of 5 years.

Top Bottom