• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Protein

Banned
People need to stop fucking saying "but my state is red, no use calling.." Some of these Senators have seats that are up for grabs in 2018. Ted Cruz (R-TX) is being challenged by a Democrat.

Red state, yes, but Hillary did better in Texas than most people expected.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm stuck with Toomey. Out of all of the Republican Party, he's one of the most spineless Trump stooges (100% Yes record on everything Trump passed to him).

He's a disgusting human being, & we're stuck with him & his non-presence until 2022.

Call him so you can vent at least

Voting no isn't enough. Every single Republican rep needs to know they are held responsible for this passing. Flipping them to elect a democrat to help fix this mess should be a main priority.

Alucrid

Banned
Schattenjäger;235734217 said:
Here's my take:

While the ACA was flawed from the beginning, it still benefited lots of people
Instead of trying to repeal at first, why not work with Democrats to try to fix the things that are broken? Even if you sure you won't make progress, make the attempt.. start small
this country is too divided right now

is that a rhetorical question or what?

And I'm disappointed that the GOP is more worried about "winning" than actually improving the law

ok i guess that wasn't a rhetorical question. how are you just coming around to this fact now?

If it wasn't clear before, conservativism and the GOP is not an alternative form of government, it is unacceptable in any form. The goal is clear that it must be defeated in every form.

Republicans: *literally pass a piece of massively unpopular legislation that will result in thousands of deaths if it becomes law*
Some of y'all, for some reason: Um... the Dems should act more respectable.

Dems getting mad at dems who all voted NO on the bill for taunting the reps. Meanwhile cases of beer are being rolled into the capitol so the reps who voted this through can literally party.

democratic-party-convention-simpsons.png
Both the right and the left endure so much self-hatred, but the left tears itself apart over it.

Eidan

I think right-wing media will literally latch onto the tiniest scrap of non-information to poison the mind's of their viewership, yes.

Then why give a shit? Right-wing media needs NOTHING to lose its mind, so stop beating up representatives out of fear for what Rush Limbaugh will say.

BriGuy

So let's say this does get through the Senate

Is that just fucking it then? If we ever want decent healthcare, are we going to have to start from square one like the ACA never happened? And go through the same bullshit Obama did to even have to force Democrats to get on board with it?

I am so pissed off right now
I guess we're going to see if there's any merit behind this "accelerationism" bullshit so many otherwise left-leaning folks used as justification to not vote or cast a protest ballot.

necrosis

True, but after the previous nuclear option went the way it did, I'm less confident on the Senate holding fast.

mcconnel has previously stated that he won't go nuclear on legislation (probably realising that democrats will more than happily return the favor in a few years)

i guess we'll see, though

Gallbaro

Banned
Republicans: *literally pass a piece of massively unpopular legislation that will result in thousands of deaths if it becomes law*

Dems need to grow some fucking balls. Get fucking populist nasty.

We have a long way until Reps are bashing each other in the head again.

Is there a list of all the voters yet? Need to see if my "moderate" R voted yes despite me trying to call multiple times and him getting shit on in the one town hall he's held since Trump was elected.

IronRinn

Call him so you can vent at least
He would need to have someone to pick up. Or have a voicemail. I have never been able to get through to any of his eight offices when I have tried to call. Toomey gives no fucks about even pretending to care what his constituents have to say.

Xe4

Banned
Here's my take:

Instead of trying to repeal at first, why not work with Democrats to try to fix the things that are broken? Even if you sure you won't make progress, make the attempt.. start small

And I'm disappointed that the GOP is more worried about "winning" than actually improving the law

Doesn't seem to matter though, the Senate won't approve and this initial bill is just a starting point for a whole new round of negotiations
If democrats were in power, because people like you had decided to vote for them, I'm sure they'd love to improve the ACA. God knows it needs improvements.

When does Senate vote?
A few days at the least. It has to go through committees and stuff. If they go as fast as humanly possible, Monday. Likely Wednesday or even next Friday.

Iksenpets

Banned
Voting no isn't enough. Every single Republican rep needs to know they are held responsible for this passing. Flipping them to elect a democrat to help fix this mess should be a main priority.

Yep. Republicans voted to kill people. Anyone who still calls themselves Republican after that deserves what's coming to them, 'no' vote or not.

Seeing plenty of tweets come through my timeline of people I know are liberals complaining about the singing.

They may be liberal but they're not truly a democrat. You can't truly be when you are complaining about shit like that instead of being in solidarity with the party that just unanimously voted no on this shit.

Tain

actually I'd be much, much happier if they chanted "murderers" or something instead

Alucrid

Banned
I'm stuck with Toomey. Out of all of the Republican Party, he's one of the most spineless Trump stooges (100% Yes record on everything Trump passed to him).

He's a disgusting human being, & we're stuck with him & his non-presence until 2022.

just imagine the world in which you were represented by mcginty. feels good doesn't it

Dierce

The senate republicans will pass this. They don't give a fuck if people die as long as the rich get their tax cuts which this healthcare law will help pave the path for. They are a bunch of lowlife excuse for human beings. They don't have an ounce of humanity left in them.

Ogodei

The no voters will be held responsible. Voters don't care about the particulars in the cases like this. Some Democrats got caught in the same thing, "safe" no votes to try and save their districts didn't save a single one of them in 2010.

The no voters have a target on their backs, but it's from the center and left, not the hard right.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
There's a very good possibility.

Senators are even more open to being thrown out for a vote on this. But on the flip side Turtle has a iron grip on his whip.

Collins, Lisa Murkowski are a sure no

i can see Rand Paul voting No because of the 8 Billion going to pre existent conditions
Flake?
Portman?

Buckle

How is this a win at all though when it kills their own base.
An idiot like Trump who ran an absolutely toxic campaign winning makes them believe they're untouchable.

As long as theres no significant backlash, they feel like they have the greenlight to continue and they do, the american people aren't doing shit to stop them.

Here's my take:

Doesn't seem to matter though, the Senate won't approve and this initial bill is just a starting point for a whole new round of negotiations

This is never going to happen. We're never going to be not divided. The GOP doesn't care about anything except lining their pockets and their lobbyists' pockets no matter how much "Make America great again!" rhetoric they love to spit about "country first."

Jimothy

The senate republicans will pass this. They don't give a fuck if people die as long as the rich get their tax cuts which this healthcare law will help pave the path for. They are a bunch of lowlife excuse for human beings. They don't have an ounce of humanity left in them.

The Dems can still block it in the Senate by filibuster, correct?

Iksenpets

Banned
If democrats were in power, because people like you had decided to vote for them, I'm sure they'd love to improve the ACA. God knows it needs improvements.

Right. Like, hmm, yes, if only there had been some candidate running on a platform of sensible changes to the ACA instead of repealing it....

Xe4

Banned
Question: Can the GOP senate go nuclear on this?

They may not need to. Depends if it gets through as budget reconciliation. They can go nuclear, but I'm not convinced they will. Going nuclear on a bill this shitty is just a waste, and they know it.

Here's my take:

Welcome to 2011? Dozens of full obamacare repeals were passed while republicans held Congress. Obama just vetoed any that made it through bothhouses. They didnt just adopt this attitude today.

Once again, liberals celebrated too early.

But, seriously, the f are you doing, America?

You know the GOP are having an actual party about this? Like about to start any minute.

And you know it's far from being passed into law?

People need to stop reflexively blaming the dems for something no matter what.

Top Bottom