• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

I don't understand the language of the bill. Sorry for being dumb but can someone explain:

That effectively means no more mandate?

Right, they are removing the mandate and replacing it with hugely increased premiums on people with gaps in insurance. So if you lose your job, or change jobs, the first year of insurance under your new plan will cost you hugely more.

KingV

I'm pretty sure there's a lot more they can do than that. They even passed a proof of concept of it in 2015.

Let me rephrase. They can't vote on this bill as is. They can basically do the following in the Senate on reconciliation:

-defund Medicaid expansion
-defund subsidies
-defund implementation funding
-repeal the Obamacare taxes
-increase funding to things that already exist

This is what the 2015 bill did.

What they most likely can't do:
-change essential health benefits
-issue waivers
-get rid of the insurance mandate and replace it with a new penalty
- establish new high risk pools

Without those bottom things this bill looks really awful to just about anyone.

ultron87

I don't understand the language of the bill. Sorry for being dumb but can someone explain:

That effectively means no more mandate?

Yes, the mandate to have coverage is gone in this bill. It is replaced by a provision where you can be charged up to 30 percent more for a year if you get insurance again after a gap in coverage.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
C7oWNoTVwAAE_51.jpg

Every time.

I'm in California and called my Congressman whose staffer reassured me that he is most certainly voting against the AHCA. This was encouraging.

Messaged my friends in Florida about the AHCA vote to let them know, little to no response. Got one "I'm covered through my job."

I promise some of us in Florida do care and have called. But of course it doesn't make much of a difference with my Republican representative. He has already voted for it of course.

studyguy

The people bedwetting in this thread over the dems singing are right...

The house dems should have just followed the example of the Lecompton Constitution decision of 1858 and engaged in a 30 man free for all melee on the house floor.

No

Is singing dominating some of the discussion when it shouldn't fucking matter? Yes

Democratic politicians have a serious issue of seeming out of touch. Singing because they won some political points after the house voted for a bill that will seriously hurt millions of Americans is more of the same bullshit.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, all of you people trumpeting "this will never pass the house" going to just move on to "this will never pass the senate" or are you going to open your fucking eyes?

Ithil

I mean

The bill is a horrible thing. Dems are getting right up their ass if they start singing, even if meant to be mocking to the GOP.

It's not some great protest. It is a matter of optics. Singing after a shitty thing was passed is a joke, and optics do matter. Re: the 2016 election. Did we forget already?

And lol accusing me of being a trump supporter, pretty boy.

You know what are some bad optics?

Bringing in cases of beer to the Capitol to celebrate your abhorrent bill passing by a hair, and being brought on a big bus to the WH to party with Trump over passing a bill that destroys millions of lives.

That's bad optics.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Watching Fox News now and that republican group standing on the lawn is whiter than snow flakes. So much diversity.

bionic77

I'm mad at the dems losing what should have been an easy election in 2016.

So yeah, I put some of the blame on what we're going through on them just as I put a major blame on the GOP.
Put the blame on Americans not the DNC.

It was not a tough choice. Trump was racist, sexist and pretty much just plain evil with non-stop coverage for his year long campaign.

And yet most people decided either not to vote or to vote for him.

We had an election and the crazies won. Things generally don't get better when you elect evil and crazy people.

You know what are some bad optics?

Bringing in cases of beer to the Capitol to celebrate your abhorrent bill passing by a hair, and being brought on a big bus to the WH to party with Trump over passing a bill that destroys millions of lives.

That's bad optics.

$10 he didn't even know about that lmao

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
To all those who will lose healthcare and loved ones because of this, for what it's worth, you have my condolences.

I miss the real America :(

Democratic politicians have a serious issue of seeming out of touch. Singing because they won some political points after the house voted for a bill that will seriously hurt millions of Americans is more of the same bullshit.

no one cares

You want to talk about """""bad optics"""""? The Republicans are literally throwing a party at the White House to celebrate their vote.

But nah, more important to talk about singing that was referencing when the GOP did the same thing in 1993.

Only if you literally interpret in the most sociopathic way possible.

Toxi

Banned
Bitching about Democrat optics after House Republicans celebrated voting for a bill that will hurt millions of people by opening a kegger.

Do you think rallying for future elections is more out of touch than passing a massively unpopular bill that is actually, literally, going to result in deaths?

TVexperto

Wow .... why do americans even have "insurance" in the first place if they have to pay for everything themselves? thats not how insurance works here in europe

Put the blame on Americans not the DNC.

It was not a tough choice. Trump was racist, sexist and pretty much just plain evil with non-stop coverage for his year long campaign.

And yet most people decided either not to vote or to vote for him.

We had an election and the crazies won. Things generally don't get better when you elect evil and crazy people.

It was a failure of DNC and the messaging as much as it was of the people choosing to vote for one of the other because of 'muh wall street cronies' or 'muh benghazi'.

It was the Republicans election to lose. And yet the DNC managed to fuck it up.

They should feel the fire under their asses IMO. Don't let them get comfortable with '2018 is going to be a breeze! We're gonna win cause the GOP did everything wrong!'. Singing a song to celebrate other house members 'losing' their seat in 2018 because of a shitty bill is shortsighted and part of the cockiness that lost them 2016.

If this does end up dead in the Senate,
I'm not sure it will have the massive political costs people expect in the house. The average voter won't know how bad it could have been.

I mean

The bill is a horrible thing. Dems are getting right up their ass if they start singing, even if meant to be mocking to the GOP.

It's not some great protest. It is a matter of optics. Singing after a shitty thing was passed is a joke, and optics do matter. Re: the 2016 election. Did we forget already?

And lol accusing me of being a trump supporter, pretty boy.

Sorry you didn't get the memo. Any suggestion that Democrats behave differently is a purity test by Bernie fanatics.

Miracle

So people should stop trying and just lie down and take it?

I think he's calling out the people that say things like "Trump won't the Rep nomination, election, this won't pass the House, Senate, etc" being the ones that just lie down and take it.

There should be a panic right now. That panic should drive people to no longer make assumptions and not take everything for granted.

I think he's calling out the people that say things like "Trump won't the Rep nomination, election, this won't pass the House, Senate, etc" being the ones that just lie down and take it.

There should be a panic right now. That panic should drive people to no longer make assumptions and not take everything for granted.

Panicking never solves anything.

Organization, anger, and action does.

Top Bottom