• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Soroc

Speaking of optics, the republicans are literally holding what looks like a New Years party for this vote passing.

This is equivalent to having a ticker tape parade for the first hand off in a relay race. This fucking government is infuriating

theWB27

It was a failure of DNC and the messaging as much as it was of the people choosing to vote for one of the other because of 'muh wall street cronies' or 'muh benghazi'.

It was the Republicans election to lose. And yet the DNC managed to fuck it up.

They should feel the fire under their asses IMO. Don't let them get comfortable with '2018 is going to be a breeze! We're gonna win cause the GOP did everything wrong!'. Singing a song to celebrate other house members 'losing' their seat in 2018 because of a shitty bill is shortsighted and part of the cockiness that lost them 2016.

Real talk.... get over yourself. The dems lose because of people like you when its damn if they do damn if they don't.

You're ire is seriously misguided.

It was a failure of DNC and the messaging as much as it was of the people choosing to vote for one of the other because of 'muh wall street cronies' or 'muh benghazi'.

They should feel the fire under their asses IMO. Don't let them get comfortable with '2018 is going to be a breeze! We're gonna win cause the GOP did everything wrong!'. Singing a song to celebrate other house members 'losing' their seat in 2018 because of a shitty bill is shortsighted and part of the cockiness that lost them 2016.

It was not the Republicans election to lose. It is infact very difficult for the same party to have control of the presidency for more than two terms.

also, probably shouldnt call out the Dems for being cocky when you're saying the election should have been easy. You might say that that's.. cocky

liquidtmd

Banned
Hearing Trump talk right now fills me with so much sadness.

What an arrogant little shit. So much power and yet still comes across as impotent

People are going to die. And suffer. In bigly numbers.

So, all of you people trumpeting "this will never pass the house" going to just move on to "this will never pass the senate" or are you going to open your fucking eyes?

This version of the bill won't pass the Senate. Something might. What that looks like, we can talk about down the line though. The democrats have enough votes to kill this, unless I'm misunderstanding things.

The CBO are going to put the price tag on this out of reach of budget reconciliation, so either it gets voted on and loses, or it gets sent back to the house vastly changed and we'll see if the house passes whatever version of the bill that is.

Speaking of optics, the republicans are literally holding what looks like a New Years party for this vote passing.

This is equivalent to having a ticker tape parade for the first hand off in a relay race. This fucking government is infuriating

Yes but did they sing?

Fuck everyone that helped pass this shit.
Fuck stupid-ass Democrats being idiots.

Fuck this whole thing and everyone that stays in that fucking "this won't pass" bubble every single time.

Let me tell you *again* what you've already been told.

Every single person singing that song, won in 2016.

And if you remember, the democrats gained seats in the house in 2016.

So what the hell are you talking about?

Can you actually be sure of that? At that point they wouldn't be killing a possible repeal/replace, they would be killing a law. I'm not sure their spine is that strong.
I can't be sure of anything other than getting this passed the house was supposed to be easy part. Im absolutely sure that whatever comes out of the senate will differ substantially from this bill. Especially if they are going to try and pass it using reconciliation quickly which doesn't appear to be the plan. If McConnell is waiting on a CBO score, he knows it'll be shit and will give senate Republicans cover to make
substantial changes to the bill.

Also forget the nuclear option. McConnell isn't going to die on this hill for this bill. He's an asshole but he isn't stupid.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Let me rephrase. They can't vote on this bill as is. They can basically do the following in the Senate on reconciliation:

-defund Medicaid expansion
-defund subsidies
-defund implementation funding
-repeal the Obamacare taxes
-increase funding to things that already exist

This is what the 2015 bill did.

What they most likely can't do:
-change essential health benefits
-issue waivers
-get rid of the insurance mandate and replace it with a new penalty
- establish new high risk pools

Without those bottom things this bill looks really awful to just about anyone.

The key definitely is what they can do to replace the mandate while keeping the pre existing conditions. I'm guessing there's a lot of work and discussion going on with the parliamentarian, and they might find something.

I agree only repealing taxes and benefits would look pretty bad without repealing the mandate, to the point that they probably would never do it, but maybe they would.

The bar is lowered so low that normal expected procedure is seen a overwhelming victory for a gang of incompetents. And CNN and co are glad to play along. This will be another Presidential moment, to be undercut by something stupid in a day or two. An infuriating cycle.

bionic77

Trump also won the Republican primaries despite the entire RNC being against him. He ran a explicitly racist and horrible campaign and that was enough to win the primary and the general.

This is strictly a L on the American people. Fuck anyone who voted for Trump.

We suck and I hope and pray that this is an crazy aberration instead of the new norm.

Spenny

How short sighted all those CA Republicans are. All of their districts voted Hillary in the election. How do they think this is going to to go well for them 2018?

Also, what's the best way to get into politics? Volunteering for campaigns? I'm sick of this shit. I have a lot of free time on my hands and want to put it to good use.

mcfrank

"The fantastic folks at ActBlue have created something called “nominee funds” that you can donate to immediately. These funds are organized on a district-by-district basis: You contribute now, and all money is held in escrow until after each state’s primary. At that point, the cash is transferred in one fell swoop to the Democratic nominee, who can then start using the money for his or her general election campaign pronto.

We’ve identified the following 24 “yes” votes as among the most endangered Republicans up for re-election next year, so we’re adding all of these districts to our new slate of nominee funds:

"
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/5/4/1658882/-Want-to-take-immediate-revenge-on-House-Republicans-who-voted-to-destroy-health-care-Here-s-how

Donate here if you are mad

The bar is lowered so low that normal expected procedure is seen a overwhelming victory for a gang of incompetents. And CNN and co are glad to play along. This will be another Presidential moment, to be undercut by something stupid in a day or two. An infuriating cycle.

I expect more leaks from the Russia/Trump investigation to drop on Friday.

What a non-stop fucking shitshow.

Real talk.... get over yourself. The dems lose because of people like you when its damn if they do damn if they don't.

You're ire is seriously misguided.

I voted all dems in 2016. I will continue voting all dems unless one of them is horrendously awful. I don't care about purity.

But you have to realize that there are people who DO care about purity. And they make up a sizable amount. And you cannot convince these people that purity doesn't matter.

I'm talking about the people who refused to vote because 'muh candidate isn't a pure democrat'. I'm talking about those bernie sanders purists. Those people will continue existing, and unfortunately, we are in the predicament where we have to cater to their purists because otherwise dems will continue being fractured.

So yes, optics matter when part of your party wants the most pure candidate.

IrishNinja

fuck curbelo & fuck mario diaz-ballart, i want to see both of them gone from my state in 2018 - gonna do what i can to support their opponents, they need to feel this

and every time one of the pragmatics in here says this won't hurt them in 2018, i wanna respond with watch the AARP & others swarm in on their efforts to cut medicaid/etc...but then, that wasn't enough to keep this shit most folks didn't want from squeaking through.

also let's be real here, pelosi's quote shows the dems are perfectly content to do sweet fuckall & hope the GOP finally does something bad enough to make losing their vote a default

Kurdel

Banned

Yep, all this so they can sell more ads for dick pills and new cars.

How short sighted all those CA Republicans are. All of their districts voted Hillary in the election. How do they think this is going to to go well for them 2018?

Also, what's the best way to get into politics? Volunteering for campaigns? I'm sick of this shit. I have a lot of free time on my hands and want to put it to good use.

Look up you local DNC, start going to town halls for your local government.

Kin5290

Saw on political reporter Twitter that Dems chanting "Hey hey goodbye!" is apparently a direct reference to the Republican reaction to the passage of the 1993 Tax Reform Act signed into law by President Clinton, which raise taxes and created higher tax brackets for the wealthy.

This preceded a massive conservative wave in the 1994 midterms, which was directly responsible for all of the things that Berniebros and leftists slagged the Clinton's for last year, such as DOMA and welfare reform.

Given how unpopular the AHCA is, it's up to we the people to make this threat a reality.

theWB27

I voted all dems in 2016. I will continue voting all dems unless one of them is horrendously awful. I don't care about purity.

But you have to realize that there are people who DO care about purity. And they make up a sizable amount. And you cannot convince these people.

I'm talking about the people who refused to vote because 'muh candidate isn't a pure democrat'. I'm talking about those bernie sanders purists. Those people will continue existing, and unfortunately, we are in the predicament where we have to cater to their purists because otherwise dems will continue being fractured.

So yes, optics matter when part of your party wants the most pure candidate.

And if pointing out to them that their purity test hurts more than helping then how much better are they then a republican?

They fail their own purity test everytime they let a republican win.

Allard

I expect more leaks from the Russia/Trump investigation to drop on Friday.

What a non-stop fucking shitshow.

Unless the leaks show Russia wanted the ACHA to pass and they bought off republicans to kill healthcare I actually think that shit would be a distraction. I want the news cycle for the next 2-3 weeks to be only on healthcare and just what these bastards voted on. I want it to be on the news blasting till reconciliation period for the 2017 runs out.

Mesoian

"We will be voting on the health care votes tomorrow. Because we have enough votes. It'll pass. It's a good bill," McCarthy, R-California, told reporters.
"We're gonna pass it. We're gonna pass it," he added. "Let's be optimistic about life."

Irony.

Top Bottom