• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Couldn't disagree with you guys more. I think this is the time for me to leave here. This is getting ugly.

If someone is waving around a gun in a crowded room, everyone is trying to tell that person how dangerous it is, is it wrong to hope that if a bullet is fired, it hits the person waving it?

I hope this doesn't pass but if it does, I hope it affects the people who put us in this mess and not the ones who tried to stop it.

oh also while we're shitpiling on trump voters, let us not forget that by electing a climate change denier from a party of climate change deniers they're helping to literally destroy the world

so

Beartruck

If something like this does pass is there any hope if you live in a strong blue state?
No. Even if blue states work against it this bill basically guts healthcare and tosses the entrails to rich billionaires. The healthcare market will explode and everyone's rates will go up.

oh also i've called my R rep several times since november and he hasn't returned or answered my calls once

not to discourage people from contacting their reps or senators, absolutely do so

just a personal anecdote about how cowardly these fuckers are

Can they really pass this with a Senate majority? I thought the reconciliation thing was over?

It will absolutely not pass in the Senate. The Senate will likely have to make changes that alienates the House when they send it back, and it'll probably just end up as Diet Obamacare when that happens.

GOP Governors have already spoke out against the medicaid cuts. It doesn't get passed the senate.

RPGCrazied

Glad I had my surgery in 2009, had a gallbladder removal. Then it was like 140k(don't even ask how I got that dismissed), it was a lot of work.

I bet if I had it done after this bill passing would probably be triple. :/

kirblar

Howard Dean on politics and the naivete of youth: https://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/4/12/15259402/howard-dean-obamacare-opioid

I think young people don’t quite understand that politics is a substitute for war and it’s a rough game. You don’t find nice people because the stakes are enormous, and people will do a lot of bad things to each other. Four hundred years ago, if we had a question on the succession of power, lots of people would’ve lost their lives. Instead, we essentially had a revolution in this country, and people didn’t lose their lives because we use elections instead. Politics is a substitute for war, and therefore you have to be tough, unyielding, and uncompromising in battle. That’s why the Republicans generally, with the exception of the two Obama campaigns, have run campaigns better.

Glad I had my surgery in 2009, had a gallbladder removal. Then it was like 140k(don't even ask how I got that dismissed), it was a lot of work.

I bet if I had it done after this bill passing would probably be triple. :/

I'm on liver transplant rejection medication and multiple anti-depression and anxiety meds along with medicine for crohn's. If I didn't have health insurance I'd die or be in debt I could never repay by the end of the week.

Hell if I was born 50 years ago I'd already be long gone. And I'm 20.

commedieu

Banned
oh also while we're shitpiling on trump voters, let us not forget that by electing a climate change denier from a party of climate change deniers they're helping to literally destroy the world

so

Squash that noise. No one is shitpiling for the sake of it, or exaggerating their responsibility. Let's be specific. Fuck every single one of them for voting against the health of Americans because they voted for the dude from apprentice. He ran on "Fuck over your neighbor, but you'll get your coal job back." And people voted for it. All the whole knowing he is literally a conman.

They have responsibility here. Just like protest votes, and bernies. It has consequences. Folks will die if this passes.

When you phrase it like that, you're going to get nothing but redknights changing the discussion to how their one racist aunt isn't racist but she voted for Trump and that she makes a mean fritopie.

Paul Ryan whipped the votes needed I'm guessing just saying that now because this is not filibuster proof, to just pass it and blame it's failure on Dems and that they "Tried". So they at least look somewhat like a governing party.

But if they have it in the budget saying they'll let it be and then go back on it like a week later and try to get rid of it why was it even approved in the budget in the first place?

I mean I get why they want to get rid of it, I just don't get why they're doing this again after they already agreed to leave it alone.
Because they're in a trap of their own making.

They spent years hounding Obamacare as The Great Satan and vowing to fix it. Now that they have the power they have to do something about it, they can't not ignore this.

The problem comes that the Republican politicians issued with Obamacare are not the flaws the American people have issue with.

The Republicans want to "fix" Obamacare by getting rid of it. Because the part they hate is how rich people now have to pay for everybody else's healthcare.

But the American people love getting Healthcare on billionaires dimes. They want to pay even less then they do now.

In short, fixing Obamacare in the way that makes sense involves moving it further left. Buy Republicans can't do that.

RPGCrazied

I'm on liver transplant rejection medication and multiple anti-depression and anxiety meds along with medicine for crohn's. If I didn't have health insurance I'd die or be in debt I could never repay by the end of the week.

Sorry. I'm right there with you. As of now I don't have healthcare, I better not get sick.

I don't give a shit if your Uncle Joe is a decent guy, aside from the voting for a lunatic racist birther who wants to strip me of my health coverage so the richest people in this country can buy a 10th vacation home.

I've already let my own mother have it for hopping on board with it and thinking it's okay to do this to me, or even worse so to my low functioning autistic younger brother who relies on these kind of programs to be able to survive.

Skatterd

Couldn't disagree with you guys more. I think this is the time for me to leave here. This is getting ugly.

My wife has a pre-existing condition that prevents her from much physical activity anymore. Luckily I have a decent job and insurance that lets me provide for her, but this would ruin her life if anything ever happened to me.
So fuck the GOP.

But please go on.

Squash that noise. No one is shitpiling for the sake of it, or exaggerating their responsibility. Let's be specific. Fuck every single one of them for voting against the health of Americans because they voted for the dude from apprentice. He ran on "Fuck over your neighbor, but you'll get your coal job back." And people voted for it. All the whole knowing he is literally a conman.

They have responsibility here. Just like protest votes, and bernies. It has consequences. Folks will die if this passes.

When you phrase it like that, you're going to get nothing but redknights changing the discussion to how their one racist aunt isn't racist but she voted for Trump and that she makes a mean fritopie.

I wasn't using shitpiling in a negative/concern trolling way.

rjinaz

They're trying to get people killed. The responses are pretty measured all things considered.

People are going to die and posters wonder why we're so upset. Must be nice to be able to always be above all this all the time that it doesn't effect you personally enough to feel an emotional response.

And what is more crazy is the GOP is going against the lobbyists too...ALL of them....

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/03/obamacare-repeal-health-care-237948

Everyone hated the pro-insurance-company aspect of the ACA, but perhaps now people can see the benefits of creating a healthcare bill that healthcare companies don't want dismantled?

Huh. Why are they trying to pass this then? I'm guessing someone else is lining their pockets.

Because they campaigned on repealing the ACA for years and if they don't end up passing it tomorrow then that means two things:

- A more moderate version would never pass because of the HFC

- The bill is already too conservative to get enough moderate votes.

Like this is their only chance to thread the needle. The McArthur amendment was literally as moderate as they could go without losing HFC votes.

If they fail tomorrow, then the ACA is never getting repealed, which means they have to deal with backlash from the HFC fanbase.

kirblar

elty

But when you think about it, it "only" takes away coverage from 24 million people, less than 10% of the population. Of those 24 million, a lot of them is not in a life and death situation where insurance is critical to their surviva in the next 2 yearsl. When facing the choice of making the top 1% richer or the bottom 1% dead, this is a easy choice for Trump and co.

Not to mention by the time 2018 comes, people will forget about all these and worry about some baby organ trafficking ring fake news.

Wow, my Rep, Chris Smith, who is a Republican, is voting 'No.' No need to call then. My Senators are Dems, so no worries here.

there's still a need to call him, he's still a human that can change his mind and his colleagues are going to twist his arm until the vote.

Swass

Wow, my Rep, Chris Smith, who is a Republican, is voting 'No.' No need to call then. My Senators are Dems, so no worries here.

They are going to try and twist arms on the "No" votes, so they are going to need to know their constituents are on their side.. call and thank them.

If something like this does pass is there any hope if you live in a strong blue state?

No.

The only way this works is if somehow no states opt out, even the red ones. If red states opt out then prices will go up so much that even if the blue states mandate pre-existing condition coverage, it'll be so expensive that it'll be essentially unaffordable by the people who need it most.

The only hope will pretty much be if you have a good job that provides the coverage for a reasonable cost (unlikely) or coverage from another country due to dual citizenship.

If you have a pre-existing condition, it's unlikely you would be as seriously affected if you live in a deep blue state. Even then, there is still a chance you could get some of the money going into the pools designated for that occurrence.

There isn't nearly enough money in there for everyone, though. That's why Upton adding $8 bn to it and calling it ok for moderates now is such a sham.

I am by no means an expert, so please, look this stuff up and verify it for yourself.

shiba5

Apparently domestic violence and sexual assault are considered pre-existing conditions according to this shitty bill.

Top Bottom