• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

e_i

I like to think my little 10 year second cousin (my cousin's daughter), who has Type 1 Diabetes, changed Chris Smith's mind. She met with him months ago to talk about the importance of health funding.

Kevinroc

State-line insurance sales are the issue. If they mandate that insurance plans can be sold nationally, then there is no hiding in a blue state because all the insurance companies will locate in and only offer plans in the loosest state.

That needs 60 votes in the Senate. It is not in this current bill.

Beartruck

To clarify, pre-existing conditions are considered exempt from health insurance? (Apologies, I'm from the UK and am very ignorant on the subject)
They can deny you or jack up your costs for having pre-existing conditions. Literally anything wrong with you can be a pre-existing condition. Pregnant once, high blood pressure, went to the doctor to treat a sinus infection? All apply! Basically, unless you're a perfect adonis this fucks you.

Kireek

Tried calling my rep (who is currently leaning towards voting for the bill) but the voice mail box is full. Feeling restless now, not sure what else to do.

mj1108

The GOP is so fucking stupid.

The AMA is has one of the most powerful lobbying arms in Washington. So is the AARP. Both against this. Constituents will feel the heat, it's shocking they want to go through with this.

Seems as though they keep on just so it's a "win" for Trump.

shiba5

They can deny you or jack up your costs for having pre-existing conditions. Literally anything wronv with you can be a pre-existing condition. Pregnant once, high blood pressure, went to the doctor to treat a sinus infection? All apply! Basically, unless you're a perfect adonis this fucks you.

"Should have lived a better life!" (Should have been born rich.)

I wish I believed in Hell because I'd like to believe they will all be burning in it.

Ithil

They can deny you or jack up your costs for having pre-existing conditions. Literally anything wronv with you can be a pre-existing condition. Pregnant once, high blood pressure, went to the doctor to treat a sinus infection? All apply! Basically, unless you're a perfect adonis this fucks you.

I would say that this normally would include the high blood pressure overweight congressmen trying to pass this, but of course, they made sure to say that congresspeople are exempt from this pre-existing condition rule.

slit

I said it would pass if it was brought to a vote and it's going to pass

You said the Senate was going to make major changes to it but didn't know what or how that would effect the bill when it goes back to the House. The fact that it will pass the House initially isn't what I asked about.

Kirye

So i thought that the bill had to be passed back in early April otherwise it would need 60 votes due to the budget or something like that. What happened to that?

My rep. straight up said he doesn't go to town hall meetings anymore because it's just Democrats shouting at him.

My rep has had one town hall meeting since Trump was elected and he was condescending as fuck after it. Basically "yeah a lot of people had concerns, I hope I did a good job answering questions :)"

I said it would pass if it was brought to a vote and it's going to pass

Have you called your congressperson and told them to vote "no" on the AHCA? If they have already commited to a "no" vote, have you called to thank them and encourage them to convince other Representatives in your state?

Nista

My rep. straight up said he doesn't go to town hall meetings anymore because it's just Democrats shouting at him.

Our rep hides behind phone "town halls" where she doesn't have to look any actual constituents in the face, or give any answers to non canned questions. Such a spineless twat. Hope this comes back to haunt her.

Foffy

Banned

You and I know it's just an attempt to normalize dissent as "fringe."

In a fake news era, this might actually slide for those in power...

Jazzem

The ACA, colloquially known as Obamacare, barred pre-existing conditions to deny health insurance.

The new Republican bill would reinstate pre-existing conditions (at the individual state's discretion).

Yeah that's...beyond barbaric

Thanks for the clarification guys, god it makes me numb to think of the damage this will cause if it passes :(

Tried the local offices?

I called that one first.

He did vote no on the last one and said he would vote no on any bills that got rid of the pre-existing conditions part. Buuuuut I'm in a deep blue state so he has to pander to the moderates and it's not like a politician has never lied before.

State-line insurance sales are the issue. If they mandate that insurance plans can be sold nationally, then there is no hiding in a blue state because all the insurance companies will locate in and only offer plans in the loosest state.

Ironically, this is the worst thing insurance companies could do. It would force blue states that actually care about their people to offer publicly funded insurance. California will lead the way.

Nafai1123

Banned

Insurance companies aren't going to just stop offering insurance in blue states, especially if they are invested in the entire infrastructure like Kaiser.

Mrbob

The Republicans are going to burn it they pass this. The state waiver program will gut pre existing conditions for states to get more federal funding? Sounds awful.

Ogodei

Insurance companies aren't going to just stop offering insurance in blue states, especially if they are invested in the entire infrastructure like Kaiser.

I don't mean that they would stop, i mean that they would locate there and only offer plans there, so you would buy a South Dakota healthcare plan from anywhere in the country.

If this were to ever pass, which I don't think it will, I feel like this will be the tipping point that finally gets the pitchforks and torches heading to D.C. Those GOP reps will be hunted for the rest of their lives or until it gets overturned, and there won't be enough personal security in the world to keep them safe. This shit is pure evil, and they're actively voting towards killing everyone except themselves.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I like to think my little 10 year second cousin (my cousin's daughter), who has Type 1 Diabetes, changed Chris Smith's mind. She met with him months ago to talk about the importance of health funding.

The fact that he had to be convinced that people need healthcare says alot.

slit

It's not that simple. They have to negotiate with individual hospital systems and physician practices to offer insurance in each state. They can't just open a field office and say, "Hey, come buy my insurance!"

Kensation

If this were to ever pass, which I don't think it will, I feel like this will be the tipping point that finally gets the pitchforks and torches heading to D.C. Those GOP reps will be hunted for the rest of their lives or until it gets overturned, and there won't be enough personal security in the world to keep them safe. This shit is pure evil, and they're actively voting towards killing everyone except themselves.
I dunno, the sad fact is that a majority of the country just wants to be told what to do by those in charge.

Zolo

I dunno, the sad fact is that a majority of the country just wants to be told what to do by those in charge.

I think this could be said about a lot of societies, both current and historically. Not excusing it, but just musing.

is it finally time for a W for Trump?
If this ended up a W, it will hit both house members and him hard in the next election. This isn't something that goes away or doesn't affect a lot of people.

No, I haven't directly called my representative

Based on your evasive posts, I'm going to infer that you want it to pass. And you have, on multiple occasions, congratulated yourself for predicting that it would pass.

So your sole purpose in this thread is to gloat while the millions of people have to worry about whether they will be able to get health insurance, let alone pay the premiums.

Congratulations, you win at life. Your prize: you're a complete sociopath.

Nafai1123

Banned
It's an interesting point, but I think the federal law stating that companies could offer insurance from any state would take precedent over that.

They can offer insurance...they just have to offer plans that comply with state requirements.

Federal min wage doesn't supercede state or municipal min wage. States regularly enforce their own regulations in numerous industries.

Top Bottom