• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

d+pad

Chris Evert on why Roger Federer is unlikely to win the US Open

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/25/tennis/evert-federer-us-open/index.html

I'm also sceptical. :-(

I'm mostly skeptical about his back. Everyone who is injured and comes back from it surprisingly quickly *always* says the injury has healed--until they lose, of course, at which point they admit it wasn't actually healed.

I'm not sure about Evert's other points, though. The heat? I can't really see that being what does him in. A lot of five-set matches in a row? That could bother him if he doesn't win his early matches in straight sets, but if he does, I'm not sure I can see that bringing him down either.

For me, I think either the back or a big hitter is likely to beat him, if he's beaten. I also could see him winning the whole thing, though.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Yeah the only thing preventing Fed from being an overwhelming favourite is his back.

d+pad

Yeah the only thing preventing Fed from being an overwhelming favourite is his back.

Definitely. In a way, it makes for a far more interesting tournament on the men's side. I could see a whole host of guys as potential winners if Fed's back doesn't hold up.

Kokkinakis had his washing mixed up in his locker...

https://twitter.com/TKokkinakis/status/901882652717969408

DIQhfUrVoAEKjEv.jpg

Dommo

The heat? Federer just won the Australian Open in the peak of aussie summer. Not sure that'll be a factor...

3 Nadal picks and no Federer picks.

ESPN pls.

Nadal hasn't won shit on HC since January 2014 (Qatar 250) and he has played bad in the two warm up tournaments. last reached the USO QFs in 2013 . i'd take BadBackerer over Claydal anyday.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
peak Ferrer could have made it to the finals on his half of the draw but he would still lose to Fed/Nadal in the final

Peak Ferrer would AO '11 Nadal into his first slam win, for sure. We just live in a weak era.

Ricker

Krunic played a great match against Konta,slowly getting her unbalanced with all kinds of shots,including her awesome drop shots...she ran to her team after the match like she won the Open lol...

Meanwhile in Canada,on TSN,they are showing the Shapovalov match but with no commentary...feels so weird on TV but at least we get to see it live...he is up 4 0 in the second set after taking the first.

Tough luck for Claire Liu who lost 7-6, 7-6 today. Just like I saw when she played her first tour match at Stanford, she just doesn't have the mentality to win tiebreaks

sam12

Krunic played a great match against Konta,slowly getting her unbalanced with all kinds of shots,including her awesome drop shots...she ran to her team after the match like she won the Open lol...

All the bottled emotions came out at the end lol

Venus, another potential #1, is going to a 3rd set against a player playing in her first major

Also, I haven't been watching the Tomic match. Does he look bored out there?

Damn I gotta drive somewhere in a few minutes so I'm gonna miss Marsha vs. Halep. Is there any radio option for commentary? I have the app but I don't know what kind of commentary they do, it seems like they're just jumping around.

MIMIC

Banned
Hilarious that Sharapova and Halep meet in the 1st round. And isn't Sharapova 6-0 or something?

In a while, it'll start to feel like Halep is turning into a Safina (without even reaching No. 1)

Ricker

Best she is playing since her comeback for sure...her outfit does look great,especially compared to whatever Halep is wearing ;)

Ricker

They finally got that closer,low angle camera right when they use it now,unless the action goes way wide...

Top Bottom