• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

Damn I wasn't actually watching the match (Leffen salty stream and then Salmon Run) but this is taking a while, huh? Only the second set! If they went to five that would honestly beat the record for latest match, if I recall the time is something like 2:30?

Peru

Really rough for Halep. Slam gods are not being too kind to her. She's definitely gonna have to earn it like never before.

Also, that was a very nice reception for Sharapova. I'm still disappointed that she fucking doped, but I've always admired her conviction. Even when Serena is blasting her off the court, she fights tooth and nail. It's nice to have her back.

EDIT: Not to absolve her of her crimes though. I like seeing her, but at the same time, I'll probably never look at her the same.

Not that anyone will think me unbiased, but in this case the CAS court ruling is pretty damn clear : She had no significant fault in her crime and was explicitly labeled "not an intentional doper", punished (rightly of course, as it's the athlete's responsibility) for negligence in unwittingly consuming a recently banned substance that there's still no evidence suggesting helps performance.

I think Zverev's strategy involves winning this match while expending as little energy as possible to save himself for later rounds? Perhaps his team concluded the reason why Zverev hasn't made it past the 4th round in a major is due to him expending too much energy in the early rounds.

Funny thing is that Halep can still become no.1

IF Halep loses 1R she is #1 UNLESS one or more of these occur:
Muguruza makes 4R
Svitolina makes the SF
Pliskova makes the Final
Wozniacki Wins
Konta Wins
Kuznetsova Wins
Venus Wins

Muguruza never made the 4th round of the USO 🤔

d+pad

Funny thing is that Halep can still become no.1

Muguruza never made the 4th round of the USO 🤔

I'm getting the feeling she'll do it this year, esp. after her first-round win. Will she win the whole thing? I'd love that, but I'm not as sure about that happening as I am about her getting to the fourth round.

oti

Banned
#TheKerbs about to start her US Open campaign to defend the crown!

Just don't lose in the first round, ok?

d+pad

The world number 1 just played in front of like 50 people.

Are you talking about Muguruza? Doesn't surprise me terribly, if so. And that's not a rip on Garbine; rather, it's a comment on how few people tend to turn out to watch first-round matches at any tournament, even those played at Grand Slams, especially if we're talking about women's first-round matches.

Are you talking about Muguruza? Doesn't surprise me terribly, if so. And that's not a rip on Garbine; rather, it's a comment on how few people tend to turn out to watch first-round matches at any tournament, even those played at Grand Slams, especially if we're talking about women's first-round matches.

No the actual world number 1. What's her name just played. Wonder why they scheduled her match so early.

Osaka is my new fave WTA player behind Bencic. I always root for the japanese players, anime thaught me that they are the best athletes in the world.

d+pad

No the actual world number 1. What's her name just played. Wonder why they scheduled her match so early.

Oh, duh. I totally forgot Pliskova is #1 now. Shows you what a beautiful mess the women's game is right now XD

Anyway, no one turning up for her first match surprises me even less than Muguruza's first match drawing a small crowd. She hasn't really won anything yet and so probably isn't well known by the masses. Hopefully she'll start to change that this USO...

d+pad

Osaka is my new fave WTA player behind Bencic. I always root for the japanese players, anime thaught me that they are the best athletes in the world.

I like Osaka and think she has a lot of potential, but she's got a good bit of maturing to do before she can really and consistently compete with the best, IMO. At the moment, she's similar to Cirstea, Lucic-Baroni, etc..--i.e., she's capable of good wins here and there, but also horrible, error-filled losses.

Last year at the US Open she choked HARD against Keys. Lets hope she finishes the job against Kerber today.

Also, Osaka has lived in the US almost all her life and doesn't speak Japanese.

d+pad

Last year at the US Open she choked HARD against Keys. Lets hope she finishes the job against Kerber today.

I won't be surprised if she pulls out the win against Angie. Angie just looks so average these days :|

No, what would surprise me would be if Osaka could follow-up a win here with two or three more. That's where she and others like her usually struggle.

gsx302

YDTU9eXl.jpg

I'm here!

Top Bottom