• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

thefro

Money potential wise, you may be right. But, as far as "What sport do parents look to start their daughter in", Tennis is probably 5th or 6th in popularity. Soccer is #1 followed by softball. Then volleyball followed by basketball (if the parents think their kid is going to be tall). Tennis is in a tie with golf, swimming, and running.
So, it's not like the US is consistently putting their best female athletes in tennis as you were implying with your response to the poster you were responding too.

The problem with women's tennis in the US is it doesn't feed into the aau/collegiate sports system which gets tons of money from college football/basketball revenue.

The best players are already at academies and doing the junior tournaments all over the country and turning pro as teenagers. Seems like it's too late if you don't start really young.
The competition at the college level is way less than the WTA.

Your better athletes are going to be pushed into the team sports, track, or swimming as opposed to tennis/golf (which require more of a $$$ investment in rackets or clubs) at the high school level.

Where did i blame Nadal?

Well you saying it's unfair. Nadal can only play whoever he is drawn against. He is afterall ranked number 1. Not Nadals fault Rublev beat Dimitrov and Goffin. Also there have been a lot more experienced and better players than Rublev who have been blown away by Nadal. People need to stop giving the guy stick. He's 19 and was bound to be nervous.

Kensuke

Federer's block return is awful today. Just putting it in the middle of the court all the time. He can't read Delpo's serve at all it seems. Also, not very clutch today. I'd still be ok with Delpo winning, but I want to see a good match at least.

TeamFed here, hoping he can be the oldest #1 player on the record books again. Also seeing Nadal v Fed is a spectacle. Slow start from DelPo, monster second set from Fed so far.

Top Bottom