• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

d+pad

Stephens > Venus, Keys, Kanepi >>>>>>>>>> Vandeweghe

Yay! Someone else is rooting for Sloane to win it all!

Why do you hate Coco so much, though? Not that I like her, mind you. In some weird way, though, I prefer her to Keys. Keys is just waaaaaaaaay too messy for me :|

John Dunbar

correct about everything
just add another youngster to the ever-growing pile of players who might one day win something but will always know that their success depended on the decline of better players.

oti

Banned
just add another youngster to the ever-growing pile of players who might one day win something but will always know that their success depended on the decline of better players.

If they at least played like Dustin Brown or something. They're all Djokovic but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse.

Slaythe

This was insanely bad.

Like I know we've been joking a bit, but this was absolutely embarrassing.

I felt second hand shame. And I don't even like the guy.

sam777

Nice win for Rafa, now prepare for the semi final.

I think you guys are being a bit harsh on Rublev considering his age. I mean everyone hypes up Zverev but the guy has never made it this far in a slam.

Rublev had a good tournament but in the end he had run his course and against one of the greatest ever it was too much for him.

Stop dogging Rublev guys. He already has an ATP tour level title to his name, which is more than just about every other "Next Gen" player can say for themselves other than Zverev of course.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Del Potro = Anderson > Carreno Busta > Nadal > Federer

RedAssedApe

Banned
Why is US women's tennis doing so, so well, but American men have been bad for like ten years?

I'd argue they are actually still about the same in terms of results as no American woman has broken through on the women's side either (not named Serena or Venus but they don't count as they are GOATs). That might change here. Unless of course Venus slaps them all which she has a decent chance of doing.

The men's side is just way tougher because the top players are at a league above everyone else. You have 4 dominant players that have a strangle hold on the Grand Slams opposed to basically just Serena. Most of the top players on the WTA tour have been frauds with no consistency.

Why is US women's tennis doing so, so well, but American men have been bad for like ten years?

Tennis is the most high profile sport for women athletes in the US(one could argue Football, I guess).

Basketball, Baseball, American Football and Hockey (maybe?) are all much more likely to attract male athletes over Tennis.

Tennis is the most high profile sport for women athletes in the US(one could argue Football, I guess).

Basketball, Baseball, American Football and Hockey (maybe?) are all much more likely to attract male athletes over Tennis.

lol I wish.

Anyways, first all-American semi final at a slam since 1985. Awesome!

lol I wish.

Please argue otherwise. WNBA is growing but no one could name an athlete. Football makes the news around World Cup time, but no one cares about american leagues. Then you have the Olympic sports, but once again that's not an annual thing. We've seen Danica Patrick in Nascar, I guess.

If a female athlete wants a chance at fame, fortune, and glory, her best bet will be Tennis.

It's pretty interesting how far men's tennis has fallen in the US. Unlike soccer or other non popular sports (like rugby or team handball), there has always been money to be made in tennis. The fallen on the men's side for US tennis has been sad and fascinating to watch. I don't know the reason why it's fallen so badly.

It has been 15 years since Roddick won a major for the US. We have a bunch of Jack Socks in the pipeline, but no Andy Roddicks, let alone a Federer or Nadal. It's gonna be a rough few years ahead for USA men's tennis, I believe.

USA being in the finals of Fed Cup seems justified now

Bulgaria to sweep the US confirmed.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This quote cracked me up. But exactly how I feel when watching some of these matches where the women are trading breaks the entire set.

”It is appalling to me, so often, to go watch these ladies serve," Davenport said. ”They spend very little time on it. They don't take pride in it, and it's the one shot you have complete control of."
Davenport said she believed many top women had become too blasé about their service weaknesses.

”Why are you fine with getting broken?" she said. ”You should take pride in holding your serve."

From article about serving deficiencies in the wta.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/03/sports/tennis/us-open-wta-tour-serving.html

Please argue otherwise. WNBA is growing but no one could name an athlete. Football makes the news around World Cup time, but no one cares about american leagues. Then you have the Olympic sports, but once again that's not an annual thing. We've seen Danica Patrick in Nascar, I guess.

If a female athlete wants a chance at fame, fortune, and glory, her best bet will be Tennis.

Money potential wise, you may be right. But, as far as "What sport do parents look to start their daughter in", Tennis is probably 5th or 6th in popularity. Soccer is #1 followed by softball. Then volleyball followed by basketball (if the parents think their kid is going to be tall). Tennis is in a tie with golf, swimming, and running.
So, it's not like the US is consistently putting their best female athletes in tennis as you were implying with your response to the poster you were responding too.

clemenx

Banned
Federer should be banned from using colors other than black at USO night matches.

It seems hes going to have to respect Delpo forehand tonight.

Is it just me or this US Open lacks excitement?

It feels like it's just meh all around.

Really? What were you expecting with 6 of the top 10 players missing?

All the slams beside Aussie open have been boring. Mainly down to Djokovic and Murray not being competitive to challenge the other two.

Top Bottom