• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

This quote cracked me up. But exactly how I feel when watching some of these matches where the women are trading breaks the entire set.

From article about serving deficiencies in the wta.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/03/sports/tennis/us-open-wta-tour-serving.html

Great article.

What it didn't say: Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Davenport, Capriati, Graf, Seles, and even Sharapova were big women. All 5'9 or more. The bold names in particular possess(ed) more muscle mass than the average woman, too. Justine Henin is the outlier.

Basically, Anna K. is still the ideal, the Williams sisters are the "exceptions," which I interpret that to mean the same thing as when commentators call black QBs "athletic" rather than calling them accurate or intelligent like a Brees, Manning, Brady, or Rogers.

Money potential wise, you may be right. But, as far as "What sport do parents look to start their daughter in", Tennis is probably 5th or 6th in popularity. Soccer is #1 followed by softball. Then volleyball followed by basketball (if the parents think their kid is going to be tall). Tennis is in a tie with golf, swimming, and running.
So, it's not like the US is consistently putting their best female athletes in tennis as you were implying with your response to the poster you were responding too.

Tennis clubs are expensive. Here in Michigan, we pay something like $700 just to be members, and you still have to pay ~$300 for each class per person, and I have a family of five. My wife and two sons play. My daughter isn't interested. Tennis is in my wife's blood. I've never played but I'd like to learn (whenever I hit the ball, it flies out of the court like a baseball).

Tennis is arguably the most expensive sport for such a simple setup: racket and court. Good luck getting lessons though. That's why folks like Tiger Woods' dad or the Williams sisters' dad are legends in their own right.

There are a few JDP fans but tbh it pisses me off when the Fed fans cheer when JDP does a double fault that shit annoys me. And the majority of the crowd is clearly supporting Fed.

Yeah we've been making the same observations. No arguments there.

The crowd should not be a variable in a game of tennis. This umpire has no control.

New York is to Tennis what Corpus Christi is to WWE

Not trying to be racist, but aren't there any super athletic male black American players?

I would think a Lebron James type guy would destroy tennis lol

Federer is honorary Murican.

Who are they going to root for, Querrey? lol

When I was there last night cheering for Anderson (mostly as a joke but I also think Querrey is bad) people were trying to use the "but how can you root against an American you traitor" argument on me and I was like ?????? Querrey though ?????? lmao

Money potential wise, you may be right. But, as far as "What sport do parents look to start their daughter in", Tennis is probably 5th or 6th in popularity. Soccer is #1 followed by softball. Then volleyball followed by basketball (if the parents think their kid is going to be tall). Tennis is in a tie with golf, swimming, and running.
So, it's not like the US is consistently putting their best female athletes in tennis as you were implying with your response to the poster you were responding too.

The point was why is American women's tennis doing better than men's. Not what sport parents get the kids into. It's soccer for both men and women. Yet more male athletes move to sports other than Tennis. There is clearly a higher percentage of American women moving to Tennis than men. You don't get more competitive women in Tennis by luck, it's by quantity. More players in, more successes out.

And it makes sense when you still have the Williams sisters so prominent. They are inspiring.

Kensuke

Is Federer not going to switch gears in terms of tactics? Running to the net like that on weak approach shots is basically him begging to get lucky. This serve-dependent serve and volley shit is not what won him his titles this year.

He must have zero confidence in his groundstrokes right now. Can't even properly rally with Del Potro...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Guess good thing Delpo didn't go for that at all

WHY DO YOU ALWAYS SMASH IT RIGHT TO HIM

Don't know why Fed is serve and volleying on critical points so much this match when he's been great from the baseline this whole year.

What a return by Del po.

Controversial but I don't think Fed has played as well as he did in the first three months of the season since his break.

I know he won Wimbledon. But all his main challengers went out. Then Cillic got injured in the final. It was probably his easiest Wimbledon. Now he hasn't looked right maybe due to his back in his last two tournaments.

Top Bottom