• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

Kensuke

Oof, Zverev's poor slam record continues. He couldn't seem hit hit a winner today and his serve was weak. That half is up for grabs now.

AoM

And so does Babos! And Venus. And Serena. And Halep. And Muguruza. And Azarenka. And more than half of the women and men out there.

Get over it.

I just think it's disingenuous to term some of these noises grunts. Because I'm pretty sure if half the tour was "grunting" like those at the extreme end, you'd see a drop in engagement.

Sorry for expressing an opinion.

I just think it's disingenuous to term some of these noises grunts. Because I'm pretty sure if half the tour was "grunting" like those at the extreme end, you'd see a drop in engagement.

I couldn't stand it the first couple years. Just like micro-transactions in video games though... i've just become numb to it.

Kensuke

Dennis already bringing the magic shots. If this dude manages to rise to the top he'll get a bigger following that the other talents in his gen.

d+pad

I don't call them "grunts," personally. Call them what you want, I say. Regardless, very few men or women who make noise while hitting "grunt." In reality, they emit some form of a scream.

As for these screams/grunts/whatever causing a drop in engagement, sorry, but you must be new to the sport. Tennis pros have been making noises like this since Monica Seles hit the circuit in the late *1980s*. Hell, Seles screamed louder than Sharapova or Babos, if you ask me.

I'm sorry you're annoyed by it, and I'm sorry if my initial response seemed snippy, but people have complained about this since 1989. It's not going away, so folks who hate it should either not watch matches featuring screamers or turn down their TVs/computers/phones. That's all there is to it.

Personally, I find it hilarious. I can't imagine making that kind of sound over and over and over again while hitting the ball, but then again, I'm just a guy playing on a shitty public court, not a pro making millions of dollars a year...

clemenx

Banned
I haven't seen Tsonga in about a year or more but he seems like a pusher now ?????

or is Shapovalov annoying him lol.

Diprosalic said:
These late 90s kids are the real deal compared to the guys 89-95

I fucking hope so.

AoM

I don't call them "grunts," personally. Call them what you want, I say. Regardless, very few men or women who make noise while hitting "grunt." In reality, they emit some form of a scream.

As for these screams/grunts/whatever causing a drop in engagement, sorry, but you must be new to the sport. Tennis pros have been making noises like this since Monica Seles hit the circuit in the late *1980s*. Hell, Seles screamed louder than Sharapova or Babos, if you ask me.

I'm sorry you're annoyed by it, and I'm sorry if my initial response seemed snippy, but people have complained about this since 1989. It's not going away, so folks who hate it should either not watch matches featuring screamers or turn down their TVs/computers/phones. That's all there is to it.

Personally, I find it hilarious. I can't imagine making that kind of sound over and over and over again while hitting the ball, but then again, I'm just a guy playing on a shitty public court, not a pro making millions of dollars a year...

Yeah, Seles was the first major one.

My issue is the WTA seemed to be planning on doing something about it (measuring decibels?), and that seems to have disappeared. You say it's not going away, but for those up-and-coming, aren't tennis coaches nowadays explicitly trying to teach them not to "grunt"? Also, the complacency and defense force around it is what baffles me. It could easily be reduced in severity if the WTA took the necessary steps (though I'm not sure how that would work at grand slams).

d+pad

Yeah, Seles was the first major one.

My issue is the WTA seemed to be planning on doing something about it (measuring decibels?), and that seems to have disappeared. You say it's not going away, but for those up-and-coming, aren't tennis coaches nowadays explicitly trying to teach them not to "grunt"? Also, the complacency and defense force around it is what baffles me. It could easily be reduced in severity if the WTA took the necessary steps (though I'm not sure how that would work at grand slams).

First of all, it's not just the women. A lot of men--Nadal and Djokovic among them--make a lot of noise, too.

Second, the WTA supposedly is trying to get younger players to not make so much noise. How well do you expect that to work, though, when they'll never do anything to stop the top-ranked women? And believe me, they won't. Do you really think the WTA is going to piss off Serena, Venus, Maria, Vika, Garbine, Simona, etc.? They're not going to, and so the screaming will continue.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous. But I've also just come to terms with it--to the point it now makes me shake my head and laugh.

It helps, though, that I don't believe it harms anyone. I know a few non-screaming players like to complain about it now and then, but the fact is they're all well used to it now, so anyone who tries to say it impacts their play is lying, if you ask me.

AoM

First of all, it's not just the women. A lot of men--Nadal and Djokovic among them--make a lot of noise, too.

Second, the WTA supposedly is trying to get younger players to not make so much noise. How well do you expect that to work, though, when they'll never do anything to stop the top-ranked women? And believe me, they won't. Do you really think the WTA is going to piss off Serena, Venus, Maria, Vika, Garbine, Simona, etc.? They're not going to, and so the screaming will continue.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous. But I've also just come to terms with it--to the point it now makes me shake my head and laugh.

It helps, though, that I don't believe it harms anyone. I know a few non-screaming players like to complain about it now and then, but the fact is they're all well used to it now, so anyone who tries to say it impacts their play is lying, if you ask me.
I'm not saying stopping them entirely, just reducing the severity.

And as for those who complain: they would be completely right in doing so. Especially when the noise lasts multiple seconds after the ball's been hit.

It's too bad Jo was never able to win a slam. He has been fun to watch over the years with his high energy
I watched the French Davis Cup team practice when they came to Canada a few years back. The trick shots they can pull off with full swings was amazing. Tsonga was so fun to watch having fun.

EDIT: Uh-oh. the moment is getting to Shapovalov.

Tiebreak time. Let's see what this kid is made of.

EDIT: Aaaand he is going onwards. Wow. I'm very impressed with his mettle. Very Nadal-like.

Top Bottom