• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Vorador

Banned
LOL

5349fee7.jpg

Some stores are already selling the game. I didn't bought it since my copy shipped yesterday, but i found it funny :lol

Durante

The store I'll buy it from tomorrow already sold the German version today, but I just found out about it in the evening and it has a HUGE age rating sticker so I'm still happy I pre-ordered the UK one.

They actually had to move Alicia so that she's not covered by the age rating :lol

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Yup, it was Valkyria Chronicles... my girlfriend told me it was Bridget Jones' Diary. I think she's messed up in the head.

kiryogi said:
radiantdreamer: you want cynism, thats what my posts in this thread are. to deflate this inane hyperbole this topic has into something realistic.

It's good to have a cynic in the group to keep everyone grounded. Though you may end up being the brunt of defensive fanboys, I do appreciate that there is someone saying "but wait!"

mind you though, this game really IS quite good, so the fanboyism is justified.

Vorador said:
LOL

5349fee7.jpg

Some stores are already selling the game. I didn't bought it since my copy shipped yesterday, but i found it funny :lol

LOL!

MUST GET! MUST GET! MUST GET!!!

Lain

Man, it sucks, i'm not gonna be able to buy it tomorrow.
I'll have to wait a couple more days, like November 1st or 2nd.

RpgN

Vorador said:
LOL

5349fee7.jpg

AAAHH!!! You're the winner.

I'll barge into my shop tomorrow even if they don't call! I've got money to spend yo :lol

kay

Durante said:
The store I'll buy it from tomorrow already sold the German version today, but I just found out about it in the evening and it has a HUGE age rating sticker so I'm still happy I pre-ordered the UK one.

They actually had to move Alicia so that she's not covered by the age rating :lol
The rating system is really dumb, games for all ages shouldn't need a huge indicator like that.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
kay said:
The rating system is really dumb, games for all ages shouldn't need a huge indicator like that.

Nah dude, the game has guns, therefore it is worthy of the 16+ rating.

Are they offended because the game is about an aggressive invading empire? Heck, the Villains of this game are not even Germanic. They are a conglomeration of Russian, Roman, Ottoman, Austrian, and German empires, mixed into a blender into something that doesn't even match Europe (aside from the setting).

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
I thought the side you play on is (very loosely) based on the German Empire.

I was over in the English Website (which just updated the Wallpapers) and here is what it is says.

IMPERIAL ALLIANCE
A conglomerate of nations united under the rule of an emperor. These nations retain customs and practices from medieval times, and its people are known to harbor conservative views including a strong hatred towards the Darcesen race.

(Sounds like a mix of the empires of Austria, Germany, Rome, etc)

ATLANTIC FEDERATION
Nations that seek republican form of alliance to preserve mutual security. The Federation is ahead of the Empire in terms of national power, yet it often takes more time to consolidate their treaties due to its political infrastructure.

(Sounds very similar to America, France)

THE PRINCIPALITY OF GALLIA
A small nation geographically surrounded by the Empire and the Federation. The nation is a constitutional monarchy, characterized by policies of armed neutrality and universal conscription. All citizens 15 years old and above are eligible to be drafted into service in times of war.

(Sounds kind of like England, especially the constitutional monarchy and armed neutrality)

kay

Hcoregamer00 said:
Nah dude, the game has guns, therefore it is worthy of the 16+ rating.

Are they offended because the game is about an aggressive invading empire? Heck, the Villains of this game are not even Germanic. They are a conglomeration of Russian, Roman, Ottoman, Austrian, and German empires, mixed into a blender into something that doesn't even match Europe (aside from the setting).

I meant in general, this is unnecessary
61g4EXmtOnL._SS400_.jpg

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
Damn you Europeans D:

Don't worry, we are getting it on the 5th (because we all know that stuff never arrives on Tuesday).

If it makes you guys feel better, I haven't received a response from my Gamestop DM. So I will be artbook-less, unless Sega decides to release a full artbook in Japan.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hcoregamer00 said:
Don't worry, we are getting it on the 5th (because we all know that stuff never arrives on Tuesday).

If it makes you guys feel better, I haven't received a response from my Gamestop DM. So I will be artbook-less, unless Sega decides to release a full artbook in Japan.

If you really want to stick it to them, call the customer support line and demand to speak to someone from corporate and they might be able to send you one directly. If not, then they suck. I don't work there anymore so yeah... I'll say it.

Zyzyxxz

too bad there are way too many games for me to care about this one.

Got Fallout 3 and by the time I'm done with that I think Left 4 Dead will take most of my time.

I may wait until Christmas to pick this up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kay said:
9.1 from IGN AU

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/925/925384p1.html

JRPG? Yeah, easily :lol

Not RPG as Oblivion will probably never be topped until maybe ff13.

No RPG has gotten near Oblivion this gen, though its sad to see VC and the far superior Mass Effect below TES IV: 3 Voice Actors and Bloom

And its doubtful FFXIII will get there, since FF tend to stick to low 90s and thats it.

Great to see it getting a score it deserves. This game was a masterpiece in my opinion. I think I might buy the DLC depending on when Fallout 3 ships. I have been itching to play the game because of all the hype in this thread! :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Quixzlizx said:
I'm a bit perplexed, since this is the guy who gave Disgaea 3 a 6.7. Oh well, I would've bought both games even if they had both received 2.0s.

Maybe he doesnt like grindfest SRPGs like Disgaea but more along the lines of Tactics or FE. Plus VC is a graphical showpiece and is a take on the genre we havent really seen before

Hcoregamer00

Man, after the guy in the IGN review sounded so bored.

This is why Gametrailers is still the best when it comes to video reviews.

Here is hoping that they review it as well as IGN did.

klee123

PantherAttacks said:
This game looks pretty cool, I'll probably pick it up. Not sure about the "genre-redefining gameplay" bit though - it looks like a prettier version of (the poorly received) Operation Darkness.

Valk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ZWi72H-Pg

OD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h0sk0-1aTo

There are substantial differences to the gameplay between the two. OD also loses massive points due to the fact that you can't select who to move first. Not to mention the horrible camera.

kay

PantherAttacks said:
This game looks pretty cool, I'll probably pick it up. Not sure about the "genre-redefining gameplay" bit though - it looks like a prettier version of (the poorly received) Operation Darkness.

Valk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ZWi72H-Pg

OD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h0sk0-1aTo
I would definitely not say that although I probably wouldn't say the line in the thread title either. Like I said before, the game is indeed similar to OD but in that game the combat is basically done the same as say Pokemon games, you select an attack and it turns into a cinema of you using that attack. It's very old school SRPG even though it's in 3D. The way you move on the battlefield, party characteristics and even the setting is kinda similar though. I think the biggest gameplay difference is that there is a lot more freedom in Valkyria.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
9,5 from EvilgamerZ (it's a dutch website)

The only thing they didn't like were the loading times ^^ Better than Fable 2 confirmed ^^

RpgN

Durante said:
I added some quotes from the IGN reviews to the OP.

My store has not yet recieved the game :(

Same here.

I was so pissed. I waited before the stores opened at 10am. Then I waited for an hour and asked if they got the game. They said it might come today, but they don't have any copies in the back. A whole truck of boxes came to their store. I said, can you look there for me? He said no, they are busy and the game might not be there anyway :( I went to 4 others stores, and none had it. Though in the mediamarkt they said, stores are actually not allowed to sell games before the release date. If that happens, they will be fined. Is this true?

Since I was so pissed, I got Mega Man Powered Up on the psp (good choice) and grabbed myself a romantic movie for tonight. It's going to be a great day, even though I wanted Valkyria Chronicles next to me :D

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Question: How does the game actually plays? Is it always Battle, cutscene, battle, cutscene or can you also walk in towns, to buy items or just to explore and talk with NPCs?

RpgN

Kingsora said:
Question: How does the game actually plays? Is it always Battle, cutscene, battle, cutscene or can you also walk in towns, to buy items or just to explore and talk with NPCs?

Well, there is a demo you can try out on the EU store. Definitely try it, if you can.

As for you last question, I still haven't got the full game myself, hopefully someone else will answer your question. Though if I had to make a guess, you buy armor from the campaign menu and don't talk to NPCs (since there are no towns you walk to freely). Am I close?

It's divided between battles, story sequences and town actions. You follow a book which is filled with "episodes" (battles or story), and you can also go to town at (mostly) any time to regroup, train and build more weapons.

Top Bottom