• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Dead said:
Pre-ordered and got the art book

only 32 pages or so, but its very nice.

The short length is why I am wondering if Sega will release an official art book.

They could easily make money if they released an official art book in Japan that had more production sketches, explained more about the game world, and had more character portraits.

zurra

Sallokin said:
I was wondering about this as well actually.
It means it ships when the game ships and you'll get the two of them together. They do it all the time. Unfortunately, a few of the ones that are bigger than the game's case have a bent edge or a crease somewhere because of terrible handling. I'm willing to take my chances since I've never been skimped when I order online!

*prepares to not receive a Valkyria Chronicles artbook*

Vito

Banned
Well, the official release date is October 31st for Europe right? Since local retailers suck for any non-mainstream release ( shooter / WoW ), I never expected them to get the game early, so I thought I'd go check today if someone might have it... yeah right, national holiday. Tomorrow? National holiday, everything closed. I could go drive over to Austria and get the ugly cover... or maybe I'll do what I should have done in the first place, order from UK, shipped for 40 euros instead of the local 60+ EUR price.

I guess I'll go play the demo or the jp. copy, or if I feel insane drive over to Italy :(

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
How long does it take to finish a chapter? And how many are there?

kiryogi

Banned
Kingsora said:
How long does it take to finish a chapter? And how many are there?

Usually like 1-2 hours depending. Like any other strategy game out there. Well wait, you mean the entire section or one battle?

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
kiryogi said:
Usually like 1-2 hours depending. Like any other strategy game out there. Well wait, you mean the entire section or one battle?
No, the game is divided in chapters out of book, right? That was I referring to

And is it true that there are sometimes 50 VS 50 battles?

Facism

just picked this up.

I'm not sure what was more surprising of Gamestation: The fact i got the copy shrink-wrapped and untouched, or that i was served by someone friendly, polite and competent.

Hcoregamer00

Facism said:
just picked this up.

I'm not sure what was more surprising of Gamestation: The fact i got the copy shrink-wrapped and untouched, or that i was served by someone friendly, polite and competent.

Oh boy, customer service has gone downhill if this was considered a surprise.

At the very minimum they should be doing that.

RpgN

Vito said:
Well, the official release date is October 31st for Europe right? Since local retailers suck for any non-mainstream release ( shooter / WoW ), I never expected them to get the game early, so I thought I'd go check today if someone might have it... yeah right, national holiday. Tomorrow? National holiday, everything closed. I could go drive over to Austria and get the ugly cover... or maybe I'll do what I should have done in the first place, order from UK, shipped for 40 euros instead of the local 60+ EUR price.

(

Today I called my shop where I pre-ordered the game, he said the game is still not here. Then he said they got new packages today, so they might call me soon. I said the packages were there since yesterday and today was the official day. Then he suddenly said, that there was one worker sick and the unpacking works slowly now. Great, just my luck. I pre-ordered a game for once, I might not get it on release day >_<

Facism

Hcoregamer00 said:

At the very minimum they should be doing that.

I agree.

I don't know if the work is complete shyte or they just employ complete tossers.

Vorador

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

It is :p

A few days ago i picked up Lost Oddisey (i bought recently a 360). In a well known chain of videogame stores they tried to sell me a opened and battered copy at brand new price (65€) "it's not used!" they told me when i saw the copy opened and with stickers and shit on the cover.

I said i didn't wanted it and bought it sealed somewhere else.

PD:

RpgN said:
Today I called my shop where I pre-ordered the game, he said the game is still not here. Then he said they got new packages today, so they might call me soon. I said the packages were there since yesterday and today was the official day. Then he suddenly said, that there was one worker sick and the unpacking works slowly now. Great, just my luck. I pre-ordered a game for once, I might not get it on release day >_<

Considering most stores haven't respected the release date, it seems you're getting the short end of the stick :lol

Durante

This game is not easy. Except for the very first battles, it punishes you hard for all mistakes. If you keep any infantry unit out in the open at the end of your turn you can be sure that it will be snipered from somewhere, and if you expose the radiator of your tank the AI will do its utmost to kill it.
I just thought I could do a battle quickly and advanced with only a very small force, and one of the enemy tanks got a (lucky) hit on my radiator from halfway across the map. My first Game Over.

jsrv

Hive said:
Awesome thread!! I'm letting everyone here know that I'm picking up the game, even though I don't own a PS3 (yet!)

VC2 will happen, but a localization is not certain. So it has to sell~
If that's the case, I'd just play the Japanese version.

Volcynika

Durante said:
This game is not easy. Except for the very first battles, it punishes you hard for all mistakes. If you keep any infantry unit out in the open at the end of your turn you can be sure that it will be snipered from somewhere, and if you expose the radiator of your tank the AI will do its utmost to kill it.
I just thought I could do a battle quickly and advanced with only a very small force, and one of the enemy tanks got a (lucky) hit on my radiator from halfway across the map. My first Game Over.

Ah, I always love a nice challenge. Keeps you on your toes, and makes you really consider how you handle your units!

Ha, I just got access to the team building bits, and looking through the recruits there's a guy with both the 'Fancies Men' and 'Fancies Women' potentials. The first bisexual JRPG character ever?

I made sure to put Vyse in my team straight away.

Durante

Die Squirrel Die said:
Ha, I just got access to the team building bits, and looking through the recruits there's a guy with both the 'Fancies Men' and 'Fancies Women' potentials. The first bisexual JRPG character ever?
Yeah, there's also a gay guy and a lesbian (complete with the "Hates Men" potential). It's a very progressive game in more than just gameplay! :lol

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Hey guys, which audio option should I pick? I usually prefer Japanese unless the English dub is very good (for example Atlus or NIS localizations). What kind of a job did Sega do on this game?

read Gaf hype in full and shrugged. Downloaded demo last night and um...er..wow. Real time action with turn based flavor made just right. This game will be mine

zoku88

Sage00 said:
Hey guys, which audio option should I pick? I usually prefer Japanese unless the English dub is very good (for example Atlus or NIS localizations). What kind of a job did Sega do on this game?
Can't you just switch at any time? You could just judge for yourself.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
zoku88 said:
Can't you just switch at any time? You could just judge for yourself.
Ah really? That's great then. I was afraid I'd have to start over if I didn't like the dub.

Durante

I just had my first night battle. Between that and the various environmental conditions I encountered already there's more strategical variety in terrain/setting of the battles than I expected.

Sage00 said:
Try it yourself. IMO, the English dub is not all that bad, at least for the main characters -- but the Japanese VA is exceptional and clearly superior.

Urban Scholar said:
read Gaf hype in full and shrugged. Downloaded demo last night and um...er..wow. Real time action with turn based flavor made just right. This game will be mine
There you have it :D

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
Yeah, there's also a gay guy and a lesbian (complete with the "Hates Men" potential). It's a very progressive game in more than just gameplay! :lol

:lol

I am loving this game more and more.

Personality up the wazoo

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Just finished playing though the demo and WOW. This game is so damn refreshing. It has so many elements that (to my knowledge) have never been done in a SRPG. Will be picking it up fucking day one for sure. Gogo Sega!

Hcoregamer00

Oh yeah, I got my Gamestop problem resolved.

I got the artbook and the gamestop employees have a red mark on their names (I didn't get them fired, but it will be harder for them to keep their seasonal jobs when the holidays are over.)

Storybook ending as far as I am concerned.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hcoregamer00 said:
Oh yeah, I got my Gamestop problem resolved.

I got the artbook and the gamestop employees have a red mark on their names (I didn't get them fired, but it will be harder for them to keep their seasonal jobs when the holidays are over.)

Storybook ending as far as I am concerned.
Red mark? Like as in they were naughty?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hcoregamer00 said:
They were, so they deserved it.

:p
It is BS that they do those kinds of things though. Now obviously a lot of people won't really care for the bonuses but they should still hold enough for at least the pre-orders.

RpgN

Vorador said:
Considering most stores haven't respected the release date, it seems you're getting the short end of the stick :lol

Oh, tell me about it. I'm not even sure they'll call me tomorrow...Luckily I have Heavenly Sword to spend time with :D

Hcoregamer, good job! That will teach them.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Excellent game so far. Right up my alley. Bumping this thread because it deserves to be on the first page.

Has more things than I thought it would have, like weapon research, levelling up classes, etc.

Presentation is really nice, and I like all the different characters. The story does have its share of cliches and unlikely moments, but I forgive it :p (
Are the Darscens supposed to be the Jews of this game?
)

Youngest character so far is 12, while the oldest is 65. Most characters seem to fall between 17-25.

A few minor issues/questions:

* Is there a particular (better) way to spot enemies hidden in the grass?
* Currently I have like 36 selectable characters to put in my squad of 20. Finished chapter 4 and was only allowed to use 9 at a time. Hopefully missions will ramp up and require you to use 20 units out. (Those 20+ battles in Fire Emblem are always awesome)
* Would've liked a bit more micro-managing your characters - i.e. levelling per character rather than the whole class. (With bonus xp to distribute amongst the other soldiers like in the last few Fire Emblems).
* Old guy at the cemetery offered to teach me an order, but I didn't have enough exp. The next time I went there (a chapter later) I had enough exp, but he didn't have any orders to offer. Did I miss my window of opportunity?
* Kinda wish that pairing characters together had a more cumulative effect throughout the campaign (like Fire Emblem) rather than just mission-only.
* Wish you could get a crouch indicator behind more objects than the sandbags. Your character seems to crouch behind objects which seem like cover (and should be cover), but I think that's more of an evade mechanic rather than the cover mechanic.
* So when are we getting that Skies of Arcadia sequel using this engine?

I think the Scouts are better at spotting enemies, but I think the one in the grass are meant to be a bit of a suprise.

I agree with the individual levelling. Also is there anyway to improve accuracy with a weapon?

Durante

Tempy said:
Excellent game so far. Right up my alley. Bumping this thread because it deserves to be on the first page.

Has more things than I thought it would have, like weapon research, levelling up classes, etc.
Yes, I feel the same way, I didn't expect so many options in this one.

Tempy said:
* Is there a particular way to spot enemies hidden in the grass?
Scouts are much better at spotting them than other classes (this is kind of obvious ;)). Beyond that I don't know of any method.
Tempy said:
* Would've liked a bit more micro-managing your characters - i.e. levelling per character rather than the whole class. (With bonus xp to distribute amongst the other soldiers like in the last few Fire Emblems).
Well, you can (and have to) equip looted weapons per-character. I just spent half an hour retrying a specific part of a mission in chapter 7 to kill an (optional) enemy ace and get his weapon. Also, remember:
idemtv.jpg

Tempy said:
* Old guy at the cemetery offered to teach me an order, but I didn't have enough exp. The next time I went there (a chapter later) I had enough exp, but he didn't have any orders to offer. Did I miss my window of opportunity?
Hmm, I got the first one 2 or 3 chapters after he first offered it. you should be fine, try again later.
Tempy said:
* Wish you could get a crouch indicator behind more objects than the sandbags. Your character seems to crouch behind objects which seem like cover (and should be cover), but I think that's more of an evade mechanic rather than the cover mechanic.
You can. Just continue playing - for example, in the dessert battles you can crouch in furrows in the ground.

Edit - I missed this earlier:
Tempy said:
Are the Darscens supposed to be the Jews of this game?
Obviously, yes. Really, the allusions to European history are very obvious. Especially if you read the glossary - apparently the first Europa War was started when some noble was killed. If you're at all familar with world history it's hard not to see the parallels :lol

Durante

I'm looking forward to when more of you get a little further into the game.

The first battlefield encounter with
Selvaria
was fun. Basically,
she's immune to damage and sprays half of the battlefield with almost-instant-kill magical bullets.
I think I lost 3 units in one turn in that battle, but I still won.

Durante

rykomatsu said:
is the twin-tailed silver haired girl still called Eadie in the western release? (Edie? Eeady?)
I'm in chapter 8, haven't seen her yet. Why are you asking about her specifically?

rykomatsu

Durante said:
I'm in chapter 8, haven't seen her yet. Why are you asking about her specifically?

she's only the best character in the game :p
(actually, she was also the main character in the first JPN DLC as well)

btw, was posted on the official valkyria JPN blog but...supposedly in that miku game...

ss2402.jpg

:p

Durante

rykomatsu said:
she's only the best character in the game :p
(actually, she was also the main character in the first JPN DLC as well)
So was she already in the base game or was she added by DLC? If the former, any particular reason why she wouldn't be in the western release?

rykomatsu said:
:lol

Takuhi

The way the Aged Gentleman works is that every chapter the game randomly selects order or memory lapse, and if you get an order, it's one chosen randomly from the pool of orders you have not yet bought. New orders are added to the pool on Chapters 9 and 14, I think? So visit him every chapter, and the order you missed will eventually come back around again, but it's totally possible that you will not get offered all of the possible orders over the course of a single game.

rykomatsu

Durante said:
So was she already in the base game or was she added by DLC? If the former, any particular reason why she wouldn't be in the western release?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just wondering if she was still named Edie/Eady/Eadie or w/e...it sounded like an odd first name in the JPN release (yes she was in the base game) :p I didn't mean to imply that she might be taken out of the western release.

Durante

rykomatsu said:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just wondering if she was still named Edie/Eady/Eadie or w/e...it sounded like an odd first name in the JPN release (yes she was in the base game) :p I didn't mean to imply that she might be taken out of the western release.
Ah, I see. Which chapter does she show up in?

rykomatsu

Durante said:
Ah, I see. Which chapter does she show up in?

one of the random 50 troops :p you may or may not get her your first play through...
i repeated the first missions a couple of times from scratch so I'd have her in my battalion on my first playthrough :p (and Aika)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
rykomatsu said:
is the twin-tailed silver haired girl still called Eadie in the western release? (Edie? Eeady?)

"Edy" is in the game. She's in the initial batch of soldiers you can choose from once you get past the Bruhl missions.

EDIT: Oh it's random? I could choose Aika initially, but not Vyse.

Durante

rykomatsu said:
one of the random 50 troops :p you may or may not get her your first play through...
i repeated the first missions a couple of times from scratch so I'd have her in my battalion on my first playthrough :p (and Aika)
Noooooooo!
... is what I wanted to say since I hadn't got her. But I just now reached the 9th chapter and she was one of my 2 new recruits :D
She's called "Edy Nelson".

Btw, I just re-read your initial post and you were abundantly clear in what you meant. I just skipped through it too quickly. Having GAF on my right screen and playing Valkyria on my left is certainly not improving my reading comprehension.

Top Bottom