• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hive

Banned
Awesome thread!! I'm letting everyone here know that I'm picking up the game, even though I don't own a PS3 (yet!)

VC2 will happen, but a localization is not certain. So it has to sell~

Ricker

Comparing the artwork/graphic style of this to Operation Darkness is like comparing the Mona Lisa to a stickman,jesus.

Pre-ordered this a long time ago,not sure i will be able to jump into all of it next week but definetly will at some point(once I finish Fable 2 and Fallout 3)this game will get my full attention over anything else.

RpgN

SiegfriedFM said:
It's divided between battles, story sequences and town actions. You follow a book which is filled with "episodes" (battles or story), and you can also go to town at (mostly) any time to regroup, train and build more weapons.

:( I was so wrong! Glad there are towns and such :D

McBradders said:
This is torture as I won't have time to play this until Saturday.

:mad: You know how I would kill to play your copy now? That means I'll play it earlier though, muhahaha!

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
SiegfriedFM said:
It's divided between battles, story sequences and town actions. You follow a book which is filled with "episodes" (battles or story), and you can also go to town at (mostly) any time to regroup, train and build more weapons.
But does going to town also means walking around in the town and explore a little or is the town only a sort of menu?

And how many towns, villages, roads, etc. can you visit? Only one or more?

klee123

Hive said:
Awesome thread!! I'm letting everyone here know that I'm picking up the game, even though I don't own a PS3 (yet!)

Spill it!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hive said:

Don't talk as if you have some kind of insider information

HK-47 said:
Maybe he doesnt like grindfest SRPGs like Disgaea but more along the lines of Tactics or FE. Plus VC is a graphical showpiece and is a take on the genre we havent really seen before

you're right...oblivion scored higher than ffxii...holy shit

Anyway, I might have to pick this up...its really reviewing excellently

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
nelsonroyale said:

I hope you do pick it up!

Hcoregamer00

nelsonroyale said:

I am not shocked at all that it is reviewing well.

Since there seems to be no buzz outside of gaming forums, the question is whether these reviews will translate to sales from the casual gamers that make up the masses of sales for Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy.

Even if they got 1/10th of that market, then Valkyria would be a huge success.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
I am not shocked at all that it is reviewing well.

Since there seems to be no buzz outside of gaming forums, the question is whether these reviews will translate to sales from the casual gamers that make up the masses of sales for Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy.

Even if they got 1/10th of that market, then Valkyria would be a huge success.

Well, I've already managed to convince 2 other people to buy it through word-of-mouth, but they are both closer to hardcore gamers. I wouldn't know how to begin selling this to a casual unless he's an anime/manga lover.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:

I don't think that's what he meant :lol :lol

I would assume he just thinks it's obvious that that is going to happen (much like how a lot of ppl assume taht ToV PS3 will happen.)

Hcoregamer00

zoku88 said:
I don't think that's what he meant :lol :lol

I would assume he just thinks it's obvious that that is going to happen (much like how a lot of ppl assume taht ToV PS3 will happen.)

Yeah, well we could assume many things.

For example, I could assume that Tales of Vesperia sold better than Valkyria, therefore Sega will make Valkyria 2 mutiplatform.

Sure it may be "obvious" that Valkyria 2 will be made, to assume that it wont be localized or something to that effect is a little reaching. Especially when you consider that it MAY actually sell better in the USA than in Japan (especially in the long term).

Quixzlizx said:
Well, I've already managed to convince 2 other people to buy it through word-of-mouth, but they are both closer to hardcore gamers. I wouldn't know how to begin selling this to a casual unless he's an anime/manga lover.

I got two of my friends to buy this game, and I do know that I got lots of forumers in here to buy it.

That is a small amount, and it really doesn't mean anything in the long run especially if they can't break through to the casual market that gets Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

As I said, if Valkyria got even 1/10th of this market, it would be a huge success for Sega.

Durante

Quixzlizx said:
Well, I've already managed to convince 2 other people to buy it through word-of-mouth, but they are both closer to hardcore gamers.
I also did my part, I just came back from picking up 3 copies together with 2 guys I convinced to get it. (Well, actually the demo did most of the convincing, I just pointed it out to them. Sega really deserves props for the demo)

29fvyaf.jpg

It could happen that I'll be unable to post much for the next few days :D

DunpealD

Durante said:
I also did my part, I just came back from picking up 3 copies together with 2 guys I convinced to get it. (Well, actually the demo did most of the convincing, I just pointed it out to them. Sega really deserves props for the demo)

29fvyaf.jpg

Oh good god, you have my condolences for buying the ugly German cover version with the huge ass rating sign disgracing the cover art.

Anyway at least it's not going to hamper the gameplay. Have fun and take it easy.

Durante

DunpealD said:
Oh good god, you have my condolences for buying the ugly German cover version with the huge ass rating sign disgracing the cover art.
8ze63d.jpg

:D
(I guess they use the same disc for all of Europe)

Durante

Even the installation screen is well made in this game. It starts from a rough sketch drawing and develops into a final picture as the inatallation progresses (it's the picture at the start of the intro video).

Before someone who hasn't read the OP complains about having to install: it's completely optional.

Nisa65

I'm thinking of picking this up tommorow, is there a Japanese language option for cut scenes? The demo only had an English dub option.

DunpealD

Nisa65 said:
I'm thinking of picking this up tommorow, is there a Japanese language option for cut scenes? The demo only had an English dub option.

I dunno how many times this has been answered. Yes, it has Japanese language as an option.

Durante

Nisa65 said:
Durante said:
  • Dual audio option (choose between English and Japanese voice acting).

I just finished the Prologue. The end got me all misty-eyed. Really well made.

Oh, and it's lip-synched well for the Japanese audio (unlike, say, LO, which had Japanese audio but no lipsynching for it).

Nisa65

Durante said:
I just finished the Prologue. The end got me all misty-eyed. Really well made.

Oh, and it's lip-synched well for the Japanese audio (unlike, say, LO, which had Japanese audio but no lipsynching for it).

+1 Sale

I'm not a big fan of SRPGs or RTSs but I loved the demo, it also helps that it's hands down one of the best looking games this gen.

KTallguy

Banned
What does the intro video look like, what kind of music and such?

The JP version has J-pop and is framed as a love story really...

Takuhi

KTallguy said:

The JP version has J-pop and is framed as a love story really...

It's a new piece of instrumental music. Sort of somber and sad.

Durante

KTallguy said:
The opening video seems to be the same as in the demo (nice instrumental music). The intro vdeo that is shown when you start a new game mostly explains the large-scale political/strategical situation.

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
The opening video seems to be the same as in the demo (nice instrumental music). The intro vdeo that is shown when you start a new game mostly explains the large-scale political/strategical situation.

What a shocker, taking out a Japanese pop song to appeal to the USA.

Some of the Japanophiles may like it it, but many westerners would hate having JPOP play in the intro.

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
What a shocker, taking out a Japanese pop song to appeal to the USA.

Some of the Japanophiles may like it, but many westerners would hate having JPOP play in the intro.
I watched both versions, and even though I'm a subtitled-anime-watching nerd that screams bloody murder when a Japanese game doesn't offer dual audio I think the instrumental version is actually better in this case. So no complaints from me.

This is very different from something like Disgaea 3, where it would have been completely impossible to replace the opening song with another one that fits the game equally well or better.

Volcynika

Durante said:
I watched both versions, and even though I'm a subtitled-anime-watching nerd that screams bloody murder when a Japanese game doesn't offer dual audio I think the instrumental version is actually better in this case. So no complaints from me.

This is very different from something like Disgaea 3, where it would have been completely impossible to replace the opening song with another one that fits the game equally well or better.

The first time I ever saw the Disgaea 3 opening, all I could say was "What just happened?"

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Just picked it up today!

Amusingly enough most of the cities seem to be existing Dutch cities, although some of them misspelt (Derft instead of Delft, Tereschelling instead of Terschelling).

Farnack

Banned
When can I expect this in Canada?... that's not in EBgames.

Futureshop and Bestbuy have no clue and it's not even on their site. (It is on the American site...)

Durante

Tempy said:
Amusingly enough most of the cities seem to be existing Dutch cities, although some of them misspelt (Derft instead of Delft, Tereschelling instead of Terschelling).
I like the "Edelweiss". Most of the time when Japanese media uses German words it's laughable for a native speaker since the context is completely wrong, but I could see a special tank being called Edelweiss. (Edelweiss -- actually Edelweiß -- is a flower here in the alps that's particularly persevering. The individual words mean "noble" and "white")

@Farnack:
Peruse the OP!

Baha

Farnack said:
When can I expect this in Canada?... that's not in EBgames.

Futureshop and Bestbuy have no clue and it's not even on their site. (It is on the American site...)

Didn't someone say that Zellers broke the street date in Canada?

Farnack

Banned
Durante said:
@Farnack:
Peruse the OP!
US dates don't apply to Canada XD
We get stuff like 5 months later.
Baha said:
I'll check that. They aren't so friendly with phone calls like the other stores.

Hive

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

I'll think about it ;p

There was a developer interview not long ago, and they talked about looking at the PSP seriously after the fan reaction of the leaked bogus PSP screen shot.

However, they couldn't decide if that's where the sequel should go (if indeed there is one, Hentaicore)~

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Durante said:

29fvyaf.jpg

Very nice that it has reversable sleeve. More 3rd parties need to do this.

Just picked up my artbook yesterdat and will pay this off tomorrow. EXCITED but will not get to play this day 1 since I will have R2 the same day.

Durante

I really love the presentation of this game. The story chapters and battles are laid out in book form, and each individual scene is selectable again if you've already seen it. Like I said in the TWEWY thread, every RPG (every game that is somewhat story-driven, actually) should have something like this.

Here are 2 pics I took (cellphone camera, it looks much better in person of course):
n1e0y0.jpg

wclkee.jpg

Farnack said:
US dates don't apply to Canada XD
We get stuff like 5 months later.

I'll check that. They aren't so friendly with phone calls like the other stores.

5 months?! don't exaggerate! People will think that it's true!!

I do hope this shows up at any other stores other than EB. NOT buying from EB thanks.

Durante

Well, I'm done for the day, now in Chapter 6. I'd write about how amazing the game is, but you all know that. (And it's 3 am and I'm tired)

Just one thing: someone back in the demo thread said that he thought the skirmish there seemed a bit simplistic: don't worry, it doesn't even scratch the surface of the options in the full game. Perhaps I'll write a bit more about this tomorrow.

Also, HCoregamer, look who showed up
ixwn49.jpg

Hcoregamer00

Durante said:
Well, I'm done for the day, now in Chapter 6. I'd write about how amazing the game is, but you all know that. (And it's 3 am and I'm tired)

Just one thing: someone back in the demo thread said that he thought the skirmish there seemed a bit simplistic: don't worry, it doesn't even scratch the surface of the options in the full game. Perhaps I'll write a bit more about this tomorrow.

Also, HCoregamer, look who showed up
ixwn49.jpg

Meh, don't care until I play it myself.

Baha said:

I don't see how, this game doesn't actually ship until the 4th.

FYI, I preordered mine at EB and they seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

Top Bottom