• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Finished Chapter 8? (Battle of Barious Desert)

It was the first real mission I had to use all my forces/classes, not to mention use topography or die. Maximillian is a arrogant bitch, all I'm saying. So I'm rucking fules and Mortaring the crap outta people, blowing up the Bathomys's radiators with Largo/"Aunt" Yoko/Jann then backup arrives... seriously wtf is Selveria's range, 270 degrees? Plus she was throwing GODBEAMS at anything miles away! Only safe spot seemingly was when I ran Alicia to get bodies directly behind her at the foot of the ruins. I finally had a brainstorm to use the tank as cover and block Selveria (what kind of logic is it her attacks can't remotely damage a tank? REALLY?) I had my guys in the southernmost trench and had them finish off the tank for an A rank. Amazing since I had so many people almost "injured".

Angie Liu

Banned
For anyone who's picked up the Development Artworks book, can you confirm if it covers the first Valkyria Chronicles only, or does it feature pieces from the just-released sequel as well?

I had it figured that Enterbrain delayed the book to coincide with VC2's release...... but does that mean they were generous enough to include stuff from the new game? Or is that just wishful thinking? :)

Astery

Angie Liu said:
For anyone who's picked up the Development Artworks book, can you confirm if it covers the first Valkyria Chronicles only, or does it feature pieces from the just-released sequel as well?

I had it figured that Enterbrain delayed the book to coincide with VC2's release...... but does that mean they were generous enough to include stuff from the new game? Or is that just wishful thinking? :)

I've read half of the book including the characters section, and it's only VC1.

MotherFan

Got a PS3 for my birthday with uncharted + LBP and picked this up the next day ($20 new at GS). Game is great so far, just finished chapter 11. I think the story is pretty interesting with the odd collection of characters and the battles are awesome.

I somehow managed to beat ch7 Silvaria battle on the first try though she went through my squad like a hot knife through butter. Only Wilken was left but thankfully that was all that was needed. I thought for sure she would damage tanks but he was immune to it.

TTG

MotherFan said:
Got a PS3 for my birthday with uncharted + LBP and picked this up the next day ($20 new at GS). Game is great so far, just finished chapter 11. I think the story is pretty interesting with the odd collection of characters and the battles are awesome.

I somehow managed to beat ch7 Silvaria battle on the first try though she went through my squad like a hot knife through butter. Only Wilken was left but thankfully that was all that was needed. I thought for sure she would damage tanks but he was immune to it.

as soon as the reinforcements arrived(and killed my lonely shocktrooper on the high ground) I pulled everyone back except for one shocktrooper who was directly behind maximillians tank. Then it was just a matter of time before he had to fire of his cannon for the last time and then it was over in 1 turn. I think I still got a C there though.

That was the only real death I've had so far. Which isn't to say it's straightforward, these missions take a lot of time.

Borman

Chapter 7 was easy for me, I must have had it timed right or something because I had no one die, except at the beginning of the battle when I had no idea what was going on.

Chapter 8b:
Forest Encampment

This was strangely hard for me because in the beginning I tried to a) off the shocktrooper near the fence with a grenade, then run to the tank b) use Alicia to do the same c) waste all turns to get both people to the camp. Also, there were too many sandbags for the enemy to hunker down to. I wound up using only Welkin to as close as possible to the camp and using a Lancer to blow up the 2nd sandbag. After the Imperial Lancers/Shocktroopers milled around attacking the Edelweiss I got Welkin in the tank and mortared the Lancers, with anyone left getting sniped by Marina. After occupying 1st base I used Lancer to off the first tank and broke down the gate with the Edelweiss. Destroyed 2nd tank's radiator and ran Rosie to 2nd base for a B.

Chapter 9:
A Midsummer Incident

I pretty muich spammed Shocktroopers here. Initially I was going to block the strett with by tank but I had no idea if I could get it there/destroy the radiator, so I ran Rosie/Hannes/Alex to a spot and hoped Rosie didn't get run over. I Triple-shot with each member twice to blow the Armored Car. Got an A and the interaction with the Princess was nice. Really starting to dig the political overtones.

Hey guys, I'm currently playing the game and just wondering: Is it worth it to go for the "Aces"? Do any of them have really good weapons, or are they more hassle than they are worth?

robotzombie said:
Hey guys, I'm currently playing the game and just wondering: Is it worth it to go for the "Aces"? Do any of them have really good weapons, or are they more hassle than they are worth?

Their weapons are usually less accurate with less range, but more powerful. I don't think they are worth the hassle unless you want to get the medal. Although, you just might want to kill certain aces because you hate them...cough...Ty the Immortal...cough.

robotzombie said:
Actually it's not bad to take them down if possible. Aces have Command Point badges so taking down an Ace helps reduce the options per turn the enemy have. Plus certain named Aces do have good weapons... From checking a FAQ it seems there are
really only 2 great weapons.

robotzombie said:

There is one tank ace worth getting. There is also one ace that coughs up an incredibly powerful flame thrower. Can't remember what chapters those were on. Outside of that, none of the other aces are worth the effort imo.

Just wanted to say how much I love this game. I'm stuck on Chapter 7 though. I'm ok with the first part of the battle its just that the second part of the battle is killing me. I've tried 5 times each ending in failure. I'm really frustrated, so I'm taking a little break from the game. I do want to return to it soon.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Chrono Helix said:
How did you get that?
I ordered it from HobbyLinkJapan last year, though production started only recently. For now I'm thinking up ways to hang it from the office here at SEGA so that everyone on the floor will see it.

Fanboydestroyer said:
Just wanted to say how much I love this game. I'm stuck on Chapter 7 though. I'm ok with the first part of the battle its just that the second part of the battle is killing me. I've tried 5 times each ending in failure. I'm really frustrated, so I'm taking a little break from the game. I do want to return to it soon.
It sounds like the
Reinforcements part is killing you. First of you need to have already disabled the machinegun turrets on the Bathomys's right side already, makes the battle simpler. Two, you need to slow down the tank by hitting ruin walls in its path so it has to fire; this slows it down and exposes the 3 radiators. DO NOT DESTROY THE RADIATORS ONE BY ONE, whittle one down and move to the next so they can be one-shot by a Tank/Lancer later.

Ok, when Selveria comes out her range is about 270-300 degrees and she attacks everything in her range. You tank mortar ability will be key here since her attacks don't seem to hurt the Edelweiss (lawl). Mortar any enemy groups that come down the path after Selveria, and if you put a sniper in the north use it to one-shot fools.

The biggest key is if you moved you other forces to the Southernmost trench behind structures. At some point move your Tank directly in front of Selveria's face between your forces so she can't see/hit them, that gives your Lancers a chance to finish off the Bathomys w/o any fear of Selveria's GODBEAMS.

Quixzlizx

The Frankman said:
It sounds like the
Reinforcements part is killing you. First of you need to have already disabled the machinegun turrets on the Bathomys's right side already, makes the battle simpler. Two, you need to slow down the tank by hitting ruin walls in its path so it has to fire; this slows it down and exposes the 3 radiators. DO NOT DESTROY THE RADIATORS ONE BY ONE, whittle one down and move to the next so they can be one-shot by a Tank/Lancer later.

Ok, when Selveria comes out her range is about 270-300 degrees and she attacks everything in her range. You tank mortar ability will be key here since her attacks don't seem to hurt the Edelweiss (lawl). Mortar any enemy groups that come down the path after Selveria, and if you put a sniper in the north use it to one-shot fools.

The biggest key is if you moved you other forces to the Southernmost trench behind structures. At some point move your Tank directly in front of Selveria's face between your forces so she can't see/hit them, that gives your Lancers a chance to finish off the Bathomys w/o any fear of Selveria's GODBEAMS.

Unless I'm thinking of something else, you do realize you can one-shot a radiator by chucking a grenade into it, right? No lancer needed.

Seda said:
Everytime I do chapter seven, Selvaria doesn't move....at all.I just have a sniper take out the ace in her group but she otherwise ignores everything. My lancers are left alone to take out Batomys

I think she moved for me. I don't remember. But I'll try your advice out too. I just hate being stuck in games. I'm not only stuck in this game but Persona 3 and 4 as well. And I've been stuck in all three of these games for quite a long time now.

Quixzlizx

Seda said:
Thats true, but then you are left scouts/shocktroopers/engineers to take out the tank after the radiators.

I didn't mean you didn't need lancers at all during the mission, but you don't have to waste them climbing up the sides of the tank and firing away. I A-ranked the mission, and I can't even imagine beating the mission in 7 turns without grenading the radiators.

Chapter 10a
: Infiltration of Fouzen

Another interesting map. I did my usual "bring 2-3 guys" strategy and had Alicia go high and Tank/Nadine (Engineer) go low. Alicia was boss taking out all the Snipers/scouts up high, and Tank/Nadine made good time to... until the other tank spotted Nadine and blew her fiddy feet in the air... I wasted 3 CP getting Homer there to save her and continued on, avoiding mortar (considering I have played the Resident Evil series it boggles my mind how I can't drive the friggin' tank well). After blasting the first tank and crossing the bridge I caught the camp to stop reinforcements, then ran Homer/Alicia near the 2nd bridge. I was promptly met with a light tank, 2 Lancers, and 3 snipers. Suddenlt I wasn't worried about an A rank as much as not dying, after my turn the Edelweiss had 210 HP left. Fixed it up and ran Alicia to the goal... then remembered the tank has to get there, not a player. I was like "F it" and had Alicia grenade a Lancer, and run the tank to the goal. 9 turns, C rank.

Quixzlizx

The Frankman said:
This is the Bathomys... no way one grenade takes it out when a Lancer with Tank Killer needs 2 dead-on shots to kill it.

Think of throwing a grenade into the radiator as the steampunk equivalent of Luke Skywalker firing a torpedo into the exhaust port of the Death Star... it works.

The tank controls kinda blow. It's pretty boring to watch "shuffle shuffle shuffle" while some dude wanders around in a seemingly completely random fashion, although otherwise watching the enemy take turns is surprisingly intense. I kinda suck because the best grade I've gotten thus far is B, even on the skirmishes; although the difficulty is actually pretty much perfect, because it doesn't feel too easy even though I've never failed a mission thus far.

Giolon

I just got word from SF Kinokuniya that my copy of the artbook has arrived at the store and is ready for pick up. $63.68 is what they charged me, so all in all, not much cheaper than getting it from an online importer, though I must say they were pretty speedy!

I'll probably wait and pick it up on Saturday. Heading into the city on a weekday evening during commute traffic blows.

Cday

Banned
Went to Gamestop Monday specifically to get this game. Looking at the other PS3 games on the shelves I noticed that this is one of the cheapest games you can get which is pretty messed up considering it's also one of the best. My Mass Effect 2 play through has halted.

Cday said:
Went to Gamestop Monday specifically to get this game. Looking at the other PS3 games on the shelves I noticed that this is one of the cheapest games you can get which is pretty messed up considering it's also one of the best. My Mass Effect 2 play through has halted.
stewiedz0.gif

Just wanted to chime in my thoughts on this game since I am quite new to this site. I have beaten the game 2 times already and have about 60 hours on it. I am missing 2 Medals and I haven't touched much of the DLC stuff yet even though I bought it all. I did A Rank every Skirmish/Scenario map in the game on all difficulties (besides the ridiculous EX Hard Mode skirmishes)

Before I played Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles was my favorite PS3 game and one of the best RPGs/Games I've played this generation. It is STILL one of the best games/RPGs I've played this generation and now holds second place, next to Demon's Souls :D

Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles tap into what I loved so much about the Playstation 1 and 2 era. These feel like polished, complete RPGs overflowing with personality. I've played every Japanese RPG on 360 and nothing even comes close to the throne these two games have claimed.

Basically, if you own a PS3 and enjoy playing games you MUST own and experience this classic.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Seda said:
Everytime I do chapter seven, Selvaria doesn't move....at all.I just have a sniper take out the ace in her group but she otherwise ignores everything. My lancers are left alone to take out Batomys
In my playthrough she moved. She was practically standing on poor Kevin when she blasted him.

TTG

The Frankman said:
Chapter 8b:
Forest Encampment

This was strangely hard for me because in the beginning I tried to a) off the shocktrooper near the fence with a grenade, then run to the tank b) use Alicia to do the same c) waste all turns to get both people to the camp. Also, there were too many sandbags for the enemy to hunker down to. I wound up using only Welkin to as close as possible to the camp and using a Lancer to blow up the 2nd sandbag. After the Imperial Lancers/Shocktroopers milled around attacking the Edelweiss I got Welkin in the tank and mortared the Lancers, with anyone left getting sniped by Marina. After occupying 1st base I used Lancer to off the first tank and broke down the gate with the Edelweiss. Destroyed 2nd tank's radiator and ran Rosie to 2nd base for a B.

first thing I did was running largo to where the snipers are to take out the mortar and then up on that tower. So with his first 3 shots it was the mortar, the radiator of the first tank which destroyed it completely and the tracks for the second tank(radiator wasn't visible from the tower) so it wouldn't advance. Straightforward from there on. I was watching the youtube video afterwards and it's a little strange to see the guy just brute force his way past everyone on the first turn to capture the base.

Chapter 10b
: Liberation of Fouzen

Goddamn Elite Soldiers...

I played this similarly to 10a in the sense I ran Alicia, but with one difference... I only went with half a squad (Tank, Alicia, Rosie, Largo, Marina) since I never needed most of the people in 10a. I brought the tank onto the mines and tried using it as a long-distance mortar weapon against foes while running Alicia to the trolley. Activated the elevator (but didn't ride it, learned the hard way) and used the high ground to grenade a shocktrooper near the bridge, offing him. Used Marina on the other dude then did a Mad Dash past the Tank's machine guns to the bridge, blowing it up then taking the northwestern base camp.

Unfortunately, I had no engineer and didn't want to call for one, and the tanks started teeing off on the Edelweiss.. did I mention it couldn't move because its treads were blown? Around turn 3 I ran Alicia on the bridge past the 2nd tank and she survived only due to having Evade Boost/Defense Boost/full health. I got her to the elevator (dodging the hidden Elite Shocktrooper) and ran her near the Lancer/Scouts. After alternating between moving/healing/grenading their post to expose them/dodging fire on turn 4-5 I made it to the shooting point and prayed Alicia didn't miss. She didn't... aftermath cutscenes were handled well. 5 turns (I think), A rank.

I don't see myself playing Chapter 11 soon, I have two skirmish battles to do first.

mclem

radiantdreamer said:
EVERYONE talks about chapter 7. Man, what an evil evil chapter that is. So awesome!

What impressed me about it was that it's the first time I've ever seen an interesting boss in a strategy RPG; generally, a 'boss' in such a game is just a strong version of a normal unit, maybe with some special abilities. Having instead to think about everything; the environment, the physical layout of the boss tank, the positioning of Selvaria - it was so much more interesting.

I meant to play through New Game+ but Mass Effect 2 totally came out and ruined those plans. I still have to do Edy's Detachment and Selvaria's DLCs. But, no time for that, I've got to go save the galaxy! Again! :lol

Unknown Soldier said:
I meant to play through New Game+ but Mass Effect 2 totally came out and ruined those plans. I still have to do Edy's Detachment and Selvaria's DLCs. But, no time for that, I've got to go save the galaxy! Again! :lol

But but but this!

Cday said:

I actually found the second part of the chapter 7 battle pretty easy.
I hid everyone behind my tank and mortared the re-enforcements to death. Selveria didn't seem that interested in killing me once I got away from Max's baby.

I'm on chapter 9 right now, left it to stew for a couple months after continuously getting my base captured on that mission,
I kept getting captured before my shock troops could destroy the car's engine. grrr.

McNum

Chapter 7 is fun. I remember getting a "Wait a second, am I doing what I think I just did?!" What did I do?
When Selvaria showed up, I had the rest of the squad take cover behind... Bathomys. That's right, I hid behind one boss to avoid getting shot by the other. That's was stupidly awesome to do. That and I had a few extra mortar rounds. I gave them to Selvaria. She parried, but lost a turn.

This is just one of those games that just works. I don't know why, it really shouldn't be this accessible to play, but somehow, everything just fits together and becomes great.

I hear people complaining on the Assassin's Creed II forum about how totally not worth it the DLC was (even though it's only $4).

Did you guys find the DLC for VC to be reasonable?

When it first came out, I paid $11 for the Selveria and Edy pack, and the price seemed "just right, if not a tiny bit too expensive." for me.

Giolon

The only one that I think isn't worth the value is the Edy Detachment mission pack. It's only 1 mission. I don't care how many endings it has based on performance, I can't justify spending $5 on a single mission.

The EX Hard mode arguably provides the best value, essentially offering 10 new missions, but masochistic difficulty "challenges" that practically require exploiting obscure, one-off game mechanics to succeed is not my idea of fun.

Behind Her Blue Flame, Selvaria's DLC, is the only one I actually bought. At 3 missions, with an additional super awesome bonus mission, and a story that helped to humanize the Empire a little better, I thought it was great. $5 for 4 missions is a fair enough value.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
okay damn it all, im getting the artbook. It'll max out my allotted weeaboo points for the quarter, but it'll be worth it.

playasia has it to ship within 5-15 days, does anyone know other import sites i could check out?

Regarding the VC DLC, as good as this game is with MLB '10: The Show and Resident Evil 5 DLC on the way I have no cares about Enter The Edy Detachment (whiny bitch). Also with all the Skirmishes/lack of trophies I have no real reason to want the EX mode. Now Selveria's DLC I may wind of getting since it fleshes out her and the Empire's stance, which so far up to
Chapter 10 has been "LOL WE GOTZ MILITARY WE GUNNA OVERRUN YOU N00BS"
. I'm very practical with DLC, if it's something I a) don't really think I need b) felt should've been in the game I don't get it.

Interestingly enough, most of the RE5 DLC was supposed to be in the game. :p

CrankyJay

Banned
Finished the game this morning. Loved it from start to finish. Started playing the DLC. Jann is an awesome character. I wish I knew about him sooner so he could have been in my squad. :lol

Top Bottom