• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Durante

AniHawk said:
I really hate that I came into this thread when the conversation was dead.
Well, you have no one to blame but yourself! Ever since the demo people tried their utmost to make this game's awesomeness (in multiple areas) known.

Menaged

Started the game a few days ago and I'm at Chapter 8.

So far, it's simply amazing.
I don't think I ever played a game from this genre, and I disliked the few JRPG's I played, but VC is so full of fun.

The only thing that bothers me is the "cutscenes" with all the blurbs. Tons of unintersting stuff (IMO) and I need to press X all the time. The true cutscenes on the other hand are awesome. I adore the artstyle.

Chapter 7 spoiler:

I really loved this battle but it was somewhat annoying. I completed it the 2nd time only because the game was "stuck". I destroyed all the turrets and tried destroying the radiators while closed. Since that Battomy didn't move an inch, I thought I was doing something wrong and many turns had passed. Just when I moved my tank a bit, the Battomy decided to move and the game told me about the ruin walls. I failed because 20 turns had passed.

Even on my 2nd attempt it was quite annoying because I'm dependent on the Battomy to move and do his thing while this bitch is killing my squad :(

Teknoman

Damn...I didnt think Selvaria would be that strong...

Either way, finally beat Chapter 7 as well...took me 3 tries and alot of scout-medic running.

Hannes cleaned up the reinforcements nicely though.

EDIT: They seemed to have nailed everyone english VA wise, and now im starting to wish more SRPGs played out like this...especially a new Shining Force using the same artstyle/engine.

AniHawk

Durante said:
Well, you have no one to blame but yourself! Ever since the demo people tried their utmost to make this game's awesomeness (in multiple areas) known.

I can blame Sony for making a stupidly expensive system that I wasn't going to pay for since it was stupidly expensive. I did buy VC over a year ago, just in case it would be hard to find by the time the system was at a level I was willing to buy it (two hundred and ninety nine US dollars).

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is frustrating, but not because it's again on a system I don't own, but because it looks so much more generic and less charming than VC. It looks like it's cashing in on the anime instead of the first game. The main game stuff looks normal, but the anime cutscenes look way out of place.

AniHawk

Lain said:
Am I the only one that simply loves Irene Ellet?
I found her English VA to be simply lovable!

I was surprised she was Kari Wahlgren or Fuu from Samurai Champloo.

I was really surprised that Rosie was Yuna from Final Fantasy X.

Koren

The thread is far from dead, though. There's still plently of people that'll like discussing about this game.

I must say I share some of your views about the scenario. But I loved the game despite its weaknesses.

AniHawk

Teknoman said:
Damn...I didnt think Selvaria would be that strong...

Either way, finally beat Chapter 7 as well...took me 3 tries and alot of scout-medic running.

Hannes cleaned up the reinforcements nicely though.

I parked the Edelweiss right where Selvaria comes down.

1. It makes slushies out of the charging enemy combatants.
2. It acts like a shield from Selvaria for anyone who needs medical treatment.
3. It's still in striking distance of the Batomys.

Koren

AniHawk said:
I parked the Edelweiss right where Selvaria comes down.

1. It makes slushies out of the charging enemy combatants.
2. It acts like a shield from Selvaria for anyone who needs medical treatment.
3. It's still in striking distance of the Batomys.
That's quite clever... I'll try this!

I managed to finish the mission on my first try during the first playthrough by playing hide'n seek with Selvaria, and I went in my second playthrough for a victory before Selvaria arrives, so I must say I haven't tried a lot of strategies on this mission.

Teknoman

Wish I could've moved it in that position. I was stuck on the other side of the map since I thought the lancers wouldnt be able to put a dent in its turrets. Found out different half way through the fight.

AniHawk

I did it by accident. Selvaria killed Cezary who was a sitting duck at that point as well as Vyse, who I sent out on a rescue mission for Cezary. So instead I ran Welkin up there to retrieve them both when the tank stopped moving.

Vyse and Aika wound up being a pretty fucking great part of my team.

Swag

Finally beat Chapter 7, god that fight was annoying. Lucked out with the reinforcements running into the Edelweiss / Rosie and just getting sprayed real bad, and Selvaria decided she was going to bug out and not kill people :lol.

On Chapter 8, really liking this game so far. Although I'm finding it better in 3-4 hour bursts cause after that the gameplay gets a bit too slow for me to handle.

Forgot to come and post what I accomplished today in the game, even though it isn't much.

Since yesterday, I have been on Chapter 10, and trying to pass the battle where you have to detonate the bridge so that the train collapses and goes bye bye. Yesterday I couldn't do it, and today it took me hours to finally be able to beat the section. When you beat a battle in this game, it's so relieving, especially when you are someone like me who sucks at the battles in this game. Seeing that train go in the water was so satisfying, haha. Took me 8 turns as well, which shocked me. It was almost easy whenever you realize they have an elevator right by the starting base, and you can go on the other side and activate it. It makes you feel so dumb when you move your camera around and notice a thing like that. Probably would have been done with the battle way earlier if I had noticed the obvious elevator there, haha.

Then, after the train goes into the water, the story continues, and it just gets sad. The Imperials set a place on fire where a lot of the Darcsens were staying at. Then, when they showed the little doll, that little girl had, that was just really sad. Rosie is finally, finally, starting to realize that the Darcsens aren't really bad people at all. I think Largo is already accepting of it, and it's just going to take more time for Rosie to come to terms with it. Like she said, she can't change over night. She is getting there, slowly but surely. Now that Mr. Zaka joined Squad 7, things will start to change. Especially if he keeps being nice to the rest in Squad 7. Also, it was very nice that Is gave Largo and Rosie those little dolls. She's so kind.

AniHawk

lastinline said:
Forgot to come and post what I accomplished today in the game, even though it isn't much.

Since yesterday, I have been on Chapter 10, and trying to pass the battle where you have to detonate the bridge so that the train collapses and goes bye bye. Yesterday I couldn't do it, and today it took me hours to finally be able to beat the section. When you beat a battle in this game, it's so relieving, especially when you are someone like me who sucks at the battles in this game. Seeing that train go in the water was so satisfying, haha. Took me 8 turns as well, which shocked me. It was almost easy whenever you realize they have an elevator right by the starting base, and you can go on the other side and activate it. It makes you feel so dumb when you move your camera around and notice a thing like that. Probably would have been done with the battle way earlier if I had noticed the obvious elevator there, haha.

Then, after the train goes into the water, the story continues, and it just gets sad. The Imperials set a place on fire where a lot of the Darcsens were staying at. Then, when they showed the little doll, that little girl had, that was just really sad. Rosie is finally, finally, starting to realize that the Darcsens aren't really bad people at all. I think Largo is already accepting of it, and it's just going to take more time for Rosie to come to terms with it. Like she said, she can't change over night. She is getting there, slowly but surely. Now that Mr. Zaka joined Squad 7, things will start to change. Especially if he keeps being nice to the rest in Squad 7. Also, it was very nice that Is gave Largo and Rosie those little dolls. She's so kind.

Yeah I really like Isara. Her character's been done before, but Laura Bailey did a good job at not making her sound like an anime character (which happens a fuckload if you've played any of NISA's games). The fact that Isara's logical and can pull her own weight (like when she grabbed the rifle to protect Martha at the beginning of the game) adds a lot too.

The Bridge battle itself was cool, but I loved the one before it too. I had Aika run out and take out every sniper, and then had her take out the tank and lancers at the end of the level all by herself. Bridge battle took a little while to figure out, but eventually I got the importance of the elevators too, which made things much easier.

robox

chapter 7: the roadblock

i stopped playing the game for a few months because of it. learned of of the tank blocking tactic and enjoyed the rest of the game all the way through.

the game is definitely a lot of trial and error. i mainly blame the lack of information at mission briefing. no terrain/map info, enemy units, and sometimes even the goal isn't clear until part way through. i'm not asking for all of that, just some info so i get a better idea of what i'm up against and prepare a load out to suit, as i usually just send out something generic to try to handle all situations. and the problem is exasperated since the ranking system and rewards demand speed.

Chapter 7 was what fueled my interest in the game even more. It felt hella hard at first, but after understanding what I was supposed to do, it was a breeze, but still incredibly nerve wracking. Wow, what an epic battle. Everything was just so intimidating!

AniHawk said:
Valkyria Chronicles 2 is frustrating, but not because it's again on a system I don't own, but because it looks so much more generic and less charming than VC. It looks like it's cashing in on the anime instead of the first game. The main game stuff looks normal, but the anime cutscenes look way out of place.

Wait, what? The entirety of VC is like an anime come to life. They have kept the distinctive watercolor-drawn motif in the anime anyways.

iammeiam said:
Here.

The problem I'm having is that their only shipping option to the US costs almost as much as the artbook itself.

Thanks. Yeah, US shipping does cost you. But I've ordered some books from Amazon Japan before and the shipping is excellent.

Durante said:

I bought the game a year ago and I don't own a PS3 yet, the price is still 480 USD in my country and as a student I just can't justify that. I managed to get to chapter 8 by borrowing a mates console but that was only for a few days.

Koren

r - b - x said:
the game is definitely a lot of trial and error.
I kinda disagree, I beat most of the missions on my first try, and nearly all of them were A, so I haven't been overly cautious. There's a couple of exceptions, of course (such as the battle before the last one). The only mission I felt was trial and error was the one in forest with Welkin and Alicia. Because you can't really use any interesting tactics.

But you need to really exploit fully the game possibilities. Which is not a problem of playing well or bad, but rather to have some experience in this kind of gameplay. I think even Sakura Taisen battles (quite different, but shares a couple of things and strategies) helped me a lot.

I really like the lack of information, such as the mission with two distant starting points and a lake inbetween. Intel is part of fight. I even think that briefing/enemy phases sometimes gives you too much information.

Spiegel

Looks like the game is already out somewhere

2010jan-vc2-gvg.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19318173&postcount=558

AniHawk

Unknown Soldier said:
Wait, what? The entirety of VC is like an anime come to life. They have kept the distinctive watercolor-drawn motif in the anime anyways.

There's a very big difference between seeing the in-game and cutscene stuff looking very much the same and what's going on in VC2- where the in-game stuff looks like it did in VC1, but there are actual anime cutscenes. It's more jarring, and more like any other sort of anime-inspired RPG you find these days. Also, the character designs are a marked step down. I guess it's to make it more accessible.

Maybe it was just for the trailers I saw or something, and it's completely absent in the actual game.

Well, I passed Chapter 11 today...

Didn't see the death of Isara coming at all. :( Definitely made me sad, cause she was so kind and she didn't deserve to go out like that. Rosie was talking to her too, and apologizing and stuff, then a stupid Imperial came from out of nowhere and shot Isara. Then, when Rosie sang by Isara's grave, that was just... man. This game really makes you feel for the characters, and I guess that's one of the many reasons why I like this game. Then, later Faldio goes to the place in the desert, and then he puts two and two together and realizes that Alicia might be a Valkyrur. Man, that scene when she opened that circular door just went right over my head. I found it kind of strange that she had opened the door, but I didn't pay any mind to it, cause I just thought it was a door defect or something, haha.

So, yeah, I got to the battle in Chapter 12, and then I started to play the Skirmishes. I think I did four in total today. Me thinks I'm having way more trouble than I should in the battles cause I'm not leveling up my characters as much as I should. I was just basically going through the story and not playing the Skirmishes. I think there's around nine unlocked now, so I think I'm going to continue on with that tomorrow. I have been leveling up my characters and stuff, and also upgrading weapons, so I've been doing pretty good at that. I don't know if I will replay some of the Skirmishes, since they are really just story battles that I've already played before. Though, getting some more exp to level up, and some more dct to upgrade stuff would surely help me out a lot. :)

AniHawk

radiantdreamer said:
Valkyria Chronicles makes the top 25 PS3 games (of the forever).
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1060027p3.html

GTA IV getting rated so much higher than VC is some kind of bullshit. Actually, it's every kind of bullshit.

lastinline said:
Well, I passed Chapter 11 today...

Didn't see the death of Isara coming at all. :( Definitely made me sad, cause she was so kind and she didn't deserve to go out like that. Rosie was talking to her too, and apologizing and stuff, then a stupid Imperial came from out of nowhere and shot Isara. Then, when Rosie sang by Isara's grave, that was just... man. This game really makes you feel for the characters, and I guess that's one of the many reasons why I like this game. Then, later Faldio goes to the place in the desert, and then he puts two and two together and realizes that Alicia might be a Valkyrur. Man, that scene when she opened that circular door just went right over my head. I found it kind of strange that she had opened the door, but I didn't pay any mind to it, cause I just thought it was a door defect or something, haha.

Those were two twists I saw coming right away. There are a couple that actually did surprise me later in the game, but once Rosie was being a racist to Isara, I knew that it had to be Isara's death that would snap her out of it. Also, when Alicia opened the door, I figured she had to be some kind of special magic thing. They're cliches. But it's okay, because they were done well.

I thought Hedy Buress did a fantastic job at Rosie. Good singing voice too. That was very beautiful. Lyrics are typical Japanese-to-English cringeworthy, but the singing was great. It was even more surprising since I disliked her as Yuna so much.

Up to Chapter 6:

In The Battle of the Kloden Forest
I never moved my bottom squad, I had Cherry/Rosie/Wellville/Dallas storm the animal road up top and take the base in 4-5 turns. Wellville got injured but luckily was evacuated... got a B rank. So far Scouts + a Shocktrooper really is the way to go.

The Desert battle should be tough though...
GTA IV getting rated so much higher than VC is some kind of bullshit. Actually, it's every kind of bullshit.
Come on now, GTA IV rocked. :lol

Got through Chapter 10, and I was thinking that
I can't think of any World War II themed game which dealt directly with the Holocaust the way VC did, even with fictionalized Europeans
. I'm not sure if this is a failure of Western game development or not. Call of Duty had about 17 iterations where the player could have
liberated a Nazi concentration camp
. I guess they were too hogtied to their T ratings to even consider doing that even though it would have given some perspective, just look at the episode of Band of Brothers where they did that.

Encounter in The Desert - Chapter 7

surprisingly not hard, easy A. Scout and Shocktrooper used the 3rd trench and pushed north via east. THANK GOD for the freak sandstorm, Luckily Freesia just had enough health to grenade/shoot the ShockTrooper in the base

AniHawk

The Frankman said:
Encounter in The Desert - Chapter 7

surprisingly not hard, easy A. Scout and Shocktrooper used the 3rd trench and pushed north via east. THANK GOD for the freak sandstorm, Luckily Freesia just had enough health to grenade/shoot the ShockTrooper in the base

Yeah that one took forever with me because I tried moving everyone to the mid-map camp, then tried blowing up every tank. I was still getting Cs and Ds in the game at that point. Later on I was pulling off As and Bs more easily since I'd just capture a base with a scout and then call in reinforcements.

Got to Chapter 14 today, my total game hours so far is over 16 hours.

It was pretty interesting to know that Selveria had no real home, just like Alicia. That makes sense as to why they both are Valkyrurs. Hmm, though, I'm finding something weird about the way Alicia acted. She didn't act like Selveria at all when she has the blue flames around her. Like, instead of acting on her own, she was acting like she was controlled by someone else. Which leads me to believe that Isara might be the main cause of her change, and that would mean that Alicia isn't a real Valkyrur at all. Cause when I thought about it, it makes sense. Isara was shot, just like Alicia was. Selveria was shown stabbing herself, and that made her show her true power. Also, the Darcsens are supposedly good at using Ragnite, so that could be another reason why it could be Isara. But, things aren't as they seem sometimes.

However, it could definitely be Varrot who was controlling Alicia during battle. She likes Squad 7 a lot, and she didn't want them to get into any harm at all. So, it would make sense that she was the one who sniped Alicia, and then brought her the weapon and shield which brought her power. Though, just is all speculation on my part, I have no clue as to what's going on, and I'm pissed at myself for even trying to guess who sniped Alicia. All I know is that it looked like a female, but who knows, it could have been a skinny man as well. One thing I know for sure is that I can't wait till the story unravels more. Hehe, I'm so glad I bought this game, because even though I get frustrated at the battles, I'm having a really good time playing this game.

AniHawk

lastinline said:
Got to Chapter 14 today, my total game hours so far is over 16 hours.

It was pretty interesting to know that Selveria had no real home, just like Alicia. That makes sense as to why they both are Valkyrurs. Hmm, though, I'm finding something weird about the way Alicia acted. She didn't act like Selveria at all when she has the blue flames around her. Like, instead of acting on her own, she was acting like she was controlled by someone else. Which leads me to believe that Isara might be the main cause of her change, and that would mean that Alicia isn't a real Valkyrur at all. Cause when I thought about it, it makes sense. Isara was shot, just like Alicia was. Selveria was shown stabbing herself, and that made her show her true power. Also, the Darcsens are supposedly good at using Ragnite, so that could be another reason why it could be Isara. But, things aren't as they seem sometimes.

However, it could definitely be Varrot who was controlling Alicia during battle. She likes Squad 7 a lot, and she didn't want them to get into any harm at all. So, it would make sense that she was the one who sniped Alicia, and then brought her the weapon and shield which brought her power. Though, just is all speculation on my part, I have no clue as to what's going on, and I'm pissed at myself for even trying to guess who sniped Alicia. All I know is that it looked like a female, but who knows, it could have been a skinny man as well. One thing I know for sure is that I can't wait till the story unravels more. Hehe, I'm so glad I bought this game, because even though I get frustrated at the battles, I'm having a really good time playing this game.

I think it's some sort of default mode or something since she was sleeping when she was given the shield and lance. If she was awake for that she'd probably know what she was doing, like Selvaria.

The way she was walking made it look like she was sleepwalking.

Finished Chapter 11.

Fucking game designers killed Isara. I should have seen that coming, they always kill the sweet innocent kawaii character for maximum emotional impact. Fuckers. :*(

AniHawk

Unknown Soldier said:
Finished Chapter 11.

Fucking game designers killed Isara. I should have seen that coming, they always kill the sweet innocent kawaii character for maximum emotional impact. Fuckers. :*(

I think it actually makes sense that they killed her first among the rest of her squad since she was a Darcsen. Yeah, she was the enemy, but I also think it was racially motivated.

Anyway, the moment she gave Rosie the doll, she might as well have had a target on her back.

AniHawk said:
I think it actually makes sense that they killed her first among the rest of her squad since she was a Darcsen. Yeah, she was the enemy, but I also think it was racially motivated.

Anyway, the moment she gave Rosie the doll, she might as well have had a target on her back.

Chapter 11 spoiler:
Dunno man, I think it seemed "forced" in there for the sake of it. It didn't feel properly written, and the event looked artificial, and predictable. I mean sure, something like that can definitely happen on the battlefield, but I was expecting more drama.

Got to Chapter 15, with over 18 game hours played...

Well, this game totally caught me off guard. I was expecting the person who sniped Alicia to be Isara risen from the grave, or Varrot, but nope, it was Faldio. I didn't think it was him at all, especially since the skinny legs threw me off. He was taking a big chance sniping Alicia, because it couldn't have worked, and she just could have bled to death. Though, I mean, after her opening that circular door, it was apparent that something was strange with her. Alicia is indeed a Valkyrur, and she wasn't being controlled by anyone. Man, I was way off in my prediction. I'm glad I was way off, though, it wouldn't have been cool if I had predicted it right, then things would have been way predictable.

Selvaria finally saw Maximilian's true colors, that he was just using her for war, and nothing else. Kind of felt bad for her at that point in time, when Maximilian told her to use the blue flame to the greatest extent, which would thus kill her if she did. When she started crying I was like, aww, because I know she wants to protect him, but she doesn't want to go that far. Then, in the battle that I got to today, she doesn't have her lance and shield, which I thought was cool of her to do. Instead of just using the blue flame to win and not her own strength, she uses the strength she has. Well, really, she just uses her super powerful gun that can take out a lot of HP from the characters that get in it's way, haha.

Apparently she might use the blue flame after the battle that is happening, due to the images in the book. Though, the images in the book really don't show what's really going to happen. The big explosion might be from Squad 7, or maybe Selvaria herself. I will just have to pass the battle to see. I'm going to make another prediction as well. I'm thinking Selvaria is most likely going to take out Maximilian, instead of Squad 7. I mean, really, the only harm Squad 7 did to her was go against her, but she did the same thing to them too. What Maximilian did to Selvaria is far more worse, in my opinion. Gaining her trust, then just saying that she must kill herself in order to win the war, and saying that without any sympathy. Most likely wrong about her going against him, but I just love speculating.

Netto-kun

Only reached chapter 10 so far, good thing I don't mind spoilers (plus I watched the crappy anime adaption before playing the game).

SSL22023.jpg

SmokyDave

I bought this at launch and I've only played one or two chapters. I keep deferring it to play other things but with GoW3 and GT5 on the horizon I really need to work on my backlog. I also want to get it done before the sequel hits the PSP.

Approximately how long is this game? I don't want to rush it but I'd like to have it finished before GoW3.

AniHawk

I'd say it's at least 30 hours long, but I spent a lot of time in skirmishes and doing all the extra levels. Story mode's probably 20-25 hours if you rush through it?

AniHawk

lastinline said:
Got to Chapter 15, with over 18 game hours played...

Well, this game totally caught me off guard. I was expecting the person who sniped Alicia to be Isara risen from the grave, or Varrot, but nope, it was Faldio. I didn't think it was him at all, especially since the skinny legs threw me off. He was taking a big chance sniping Alicia, because it couldn't have worked, and she just could have bled to death. Though, I mean, after her opening that circular door, it was apparent that something was strange with her. Alicia is indeed a Valkyrur, and she wasn't being controlled by anyone. Man, I was way off in my prediction. I'm glad I was way off, though, it wouldn't have been cool if I had predicted it right, then things would have been way predictable.

Isara from the grave- wha? Nothing in this game supports the dead rising from the grave theory, and it's completely out of Isara's character to do something like that. Plus, Faldio was the only one who uncovered the truth about Alicia since Welkin and Alicia didn't put it together in the desert. Making it Varrot was a real stretch since she doesn't know Squad 7 that well, and making it Isara's an even bigger stretch. I thought the game gave it away that it was Faldio pretty easily

Koren

AniHawk said:
Don't use those... ;) But rather things like psmk2. It used to be ranked as best PS3 game (now it's ranking behind both uncharted games, LBP and Demon's Soul, but still remains one of the six S-games on PS3)

I prefer players reviews (at least when they have to write a review) to sites tops. Especially IGN's.

AniHawk said:
I'd say it's at least 30 hours long, but I spent a lot of time in skirmishes and doing all the extra levels. Story mode's probably 20-25 hours if you rush through it?
I think I finished it in 22h on the clock or so (probably ~25 real) without skirmishes. Spent much more time after that to unlock and play everything, though, and fight for best completion times. I must be far over 100h now.

Top Bottom