• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

SmokyDave

AniHawk said:
I'd say it's at least 30 hours long, but I spent a lot of time in skirmishes and doing all the extra levels. Story mode's probably 20-25 hours if you rush through it?
Thank you. I budgeted 30-35 hours so I don't need to rush it :)

Netto-kun

LOVE & TRUTH said:
Netto-kun, congratulations! I envy you, my copy is not shipped yet.

How are you liking the art book?
Loving it. :D

SSL22025.jpg

Giolon

You may want to edit that pic out of your post Netto-kun. It might count as a scan.

So, Valkyria Chronicles 2 is in Japan today (tomorrow). Anybody going to make an official thread?

I recently picked this game up and beat it. Even though its a Strategy RPG, its my first RPG since FF7. I absolutely loved this game. I don't know what made me want to play it so much, other then the art style.

I realized after you beat the game, you can go back and unlock bonus Chapters. Some are cut scenes only, and some are little skirmishes. The beach chapter really does add allot to story between Welkin, and Alicia. I recommend checking it out. But yeah, other then the overly hard battles towards the end, this game was incredible.

Durante

Chip N Chance said:
I recently picked this game up and beat it. Even though its a Strategy RPG, its my first RPG since FF7. I absolutely loved this game. I don't know what made me want to play it so much, other then the art style.

I realized after you beat the game, you can go back and unlock bonus Chapters. Some are cut scenes only, and some are little skirmishes. The beach chapter really does add allot to story between Welkin, and Alicia. I recommend checking it out. But yeah, other then the overly hard battles towards the end, this game was incredible.
I should have kept a list of all the posts of this kind. I've never seen anthing quite like it in a JRPG or SRPG thread.

Too bad Sega may squander much of this western sequel potential with a far more anime stereotyped game on a platform that is, at best, on life support :/

Durante said:
I should have kept a list of all the posts of this kind. I've never seen anthing quite like it in a JRPG or SRPG thread.

Too bad Sega may squander much of this western sequel potential with a far more anime stereotyped game on a platform that is, at best, on life support :/

haha, yeah admittedly im more of a Mario, Call of Duty, Action Adventure guy myself. But man, Valkyria Chronicles... I was waiting to beat this game until i downloaded the demo of 2 for PSP, but much to my surprise it was a whole new cast, and story. To be honest, i really disliked the characters. Like you said about the stereotyped cast, its really what i dont like about JRPG's, and is what kept me away for so long. The main guy seems to much like a rebel, unlike Welkin and Squad 7.

Finished Chapter 14, and also watched the Interlude sequences.

Game version of Godmode Alicia is fucking hot. She also didn't seem to have any problems kicking Selvaria's ass even though Alicia wasn't awake, just the Valkyrur.

Faldio is an interesting case. Nobody is more a patriot for his country than Faldio, and here we see an interesting facet of all patriotism. A patriot walks a very thin line in the service of his country, and on the other side of the thin line he sees a fascist. Faldio sacrificed his humanity for his country by purposely shooting Alicia, as seriously as possible but not enough to kill her. Had he failed and killed Alicia, he would have been a murderer. And even though he succeeded, what he pretty much did was awaken a living weapon of mass destruction. Therefore, Faldio crossed that line between a patriot and a fascist, but in doing so, he saved his country. Faldio is the Gallian equivalent of a leader like Francisco Franco or Josip Broz Tito.

Well, on to Ghirlandaio I suppose. It looks like Selvaria's supposed to die here.

radiantdreamer said:
I just love how since this thread's creation, someone posts something at least once within 24hrs. This game is amazing.
It's easy when people post post stuff that has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I keep thinking about replaying this on new game+, with Rosie equipped with Selvaria's Rhum gun. :D
I need more spare time...

Quixzlizx

Pandaman said:
2ilhb9d.jpg

you ever get the feeling something will be sold out by the time you can afford it?

I have a hard time paying more for an art book than I did for the game it was based on, but I am tempted.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Wow, those artbooks really came out well. I've got some for Phantasy Star that I ordered a while back, and if it's anything like those, it'll be worth the money.

In other news - Giant Gallian flag towel get!

4294054124_9863aa9fe4.jpg

Quixzlizx said:
I have a hard time paying more for an art book than I did for the game it was based on, but I am tempted.

Same here. I paid full price for the game though. If only I knew a bit of japanese it would be easier to justify the purchase. I never liked artbook but VC looks sure reminds me many of the 80's/90's anime look wich is so hard to find nowdays

My Play-Asia order for the Art Book has been "Preparing Order" status for 3 days now. Kinda worried since it should have shipped already according to them...

TSA said:
My Play-Asia order for the Art Book has been "Preparing Order" status for 3 days now. Kinda worried since it should have shipped already according to them...

Weird, it says "Not yet published or released" on their page.

I've ordered at least 20 times from Play-Asia, sometimes they just take their time. Maybe they ran out of stock. Only once they failed me with a game wich I ended buying localy after all.

cabottemp

Banned
just picked this up at gamestop for 20 bucks new.

they told me there might be a trophy patch for it....this true? I figured you guys would know better than anyone

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
No trophy patch, sorry. At this point, MGS4 is more likely to get one than VC, in my opinion.

They were "still a possibility" back in September but it's been a year and a couple months past release and the sequel is on it's way so I'd think that they're done with VC1.

cabot said:
just picked this up at gamestop for 20 bucks new.

they told me there might be a trophy patch for it....this true? I figured you guys would know better than anyone

I'll be honest, the probability of a trophy patch are nil. Don't let that stop you from playing it and being mad about the fact the sequel is on the psp

cabottemp

Banned
thanks for the info guys. i'm def still going to play it, but it is a bummer about no trophies. oh well.

looking forward to the weekend when I will sink my teeth into this :)

So, I got to the beginning of Chapter 17 today, with over 20 hours played.

So, the battle with Selvaria in Chapter 15 was pretty difficult. I kept using different strategies, for two days, until one worked today. I brought both tanks to the top level where she was, and captured all of the enemy bases, so that they couldn't spawn and screw up my flow. So, I got a tank in front of her, and then I got like three recruitments at the top middle base. It took two turns to beat her, and she didn't turn around and mess me up those two times which was a good thing. If she would have kept turning around before I pressed R1, I would have been pissed, haha.

After I defeated Selvaria, I felt bad for her. Then, of course she said her final words, that she loved Maximilian, and then used the blue flame which then killed her and a whole lot of other people. Like I said, I was kind of sad for her, but if she wouldn't have been stopped, she would have killed way more people anyways. So, it's kind of like, you care about her cause she's a person, but on the other hand you don't want to let her go cause she is going to reek havok anyways. The semi-battle in Chapter 16 was pretty straight forward and to the point. Pretty easy, just block the roads with the rocks, and get to the blinking flag.

Then, Alicia wanted to use all of her power and die, so that she could defeat the Mardot. The cutscene where Welkin gave Alicia a Lion's Paw ring, then they both kissed with the sparks were everywhere was pretty neat. I'm glad she didn't use all of her power, though, because yes it would have ended things quickly, but it's not like Squad 7 can't take out that big tank anyways. I'm just kind of scared to proceed. Cause the tank battle in I think Chapter 7 was pretty difficult for a while, and now there is a bigger tank so lord knows how tough this thing is going to be to beat.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Elysse>marmota, oh and you might want to back welkins radiator into a dead tank husk to block a one shot kill.

Finished Chapter 15.

Felt bad for Selvaria. Felt good that Selvaria took that worthless bastard Damon with her. Felt bad for Alicia, it's not every day that you find out that you can choose to release all your power to detonate yourself with the force of a nuclear weapon. Felt good that Selvaria intentionally set up the scenario where the Valkyria who defeated her, the squad she was with, and all of her captured Imperial soldiers would survive while the worthless bastard who was trying to steal the credit for everything the militia he looked down on had accomplished looked straight into the thermonuclear fire from Ground Zero and was instantly annihilated. God, watching Damon die felt so good, he was such a piece of shit. :lol Selvaria wasn't really an evil person, she was just raised to be a killing machine by Lelouch Maximilian and didn't know any other life but that of a weapon. :(

Question: Is the first part of Chapter 16 the part where you're supposed to
let a squad member die to earn a medal
?

AniHawk

Unknown Soldier said:
Finished Chapter 15.

God, watching Damon die felt so good, he was such a piece of shit. :lol

If there's one thing this crew does nicely, it's well-deserved deaths for absolute shitheels. Very satisfying stuff. All except for Selvaria of course. She got treated like shit and just took it. That still doesn't sit right with me.

Koren

Unknown Soldier said:
Question: Is the first part of Chapter 16 the part where you're supposed to
let a squad member die to earn a medal
?
I think you can do it whenever you want?

(that's the last medal I have to get, I can't decide myself letting someone die :( )

TTG

Got to chapter 6 today. After the initial shock of the talking heads cutscenes(haven't seen those in a while) I've hit a good rhythm. I do find myself restarting battles a little too often because I feel like I could do something more efficiently. A couple of questions.

1. Should I really be matching up my team according to their friends? Does it make a big difference?

2. How conservative should I be with the upgrades? At this point it I'm spreading everything around equally, but should I focus on any particular thing?

AniHawk

TTG said:
Got to chapter 6 today. After the initial shock of the talking heads cutscenes(haven't seen those in a while) I've hit a good rhythm. I do find myself restarting battles a little too often because I feel like I could do something more efficiently. A couple of questions.

1. Should I really be matching up my team according to their friends? Does it make a big difference?

2. How conservative should I be with the upgrades? At this point it I'm spreading everything around equally, but should I focus on any particular thing?

1. I never did, aside from Aika and Vyse and Largo and Rosie. Everyone was doing something else on the map on their own, and very rarely did they appear together for boosted defense/offense.

2. It pays to get scouts upgraded to elite first, since they become monsters. Shocktroopers are nice ones too. Later on, if you wind up taking down certain enemies, you'll get weapons that are better than most of the ones you can purchase anyway, so you don't need to worry about it too much. Just a warning/suggestion:
You might want to up the firepower of your lancers real soon, like, after chapter 6 for instance

Ikkarus

TSA said:

I've just checked my order on Play-Asia and it's finally been shipped. Like yours it was stuck on "Preparing Order" for a few days.

From the pictures I have seen of the artbook it looks like a worthy investment. All I have to do now is wait for it to arrive in the UK. Hopefully I will dodge a customs charge but I wont be too suprised to see a customs charge stuck on it.

Koren

TTG said:
It does, but you can as well play without it. Still, it make things easier (sometimes FAR easier). Don't bother too much for soldiers who will act on their own though.

One of the best example is the multiple fire. Take a powerful ennemy, that require a lot of shocktroopers attacks to die. Attack with one shock. Then bring a friendly shock, both will fire together. Then bring a third, and you'll have massive firepower (result is equivalent of 6 attacks in 3 turns, with only 3 counters).

I'm pretty sure it has an influence on potentials, too.

TTG said:
If you're talking about weapons, choose ONE branch of research and discard the others for each weapon. Don't care about status ailments weapons, they're not efficient enough (you'll prefer to kill rather than to disable). Precision or power is a matter of choice, it depends on your tactics.

I don't use tank except in very rare cases (not enough powerful for *two* CP, especially if you want to be quick and get A ranks), so I only upgraded defense/critical defense to avoid any tank defeats, and a couple of useful upgrades.

If you're talking about training, don't neglect any class, and train evenly. You can take some advance with your most-used class, especially to reach elite sooner (scouts and shocks, for example, which have interesting elites capabilities) but other than that, if a class lags behind, they'll end unusable, and you may be bothered by that.

Ikkarus said:
I've just checked my order on Play-Asia and it's finally been shipped. Like yours it was stuck on "Preparing Order" for a few days.
When did you preorder? I preordered just a week ago and it's still in the "Preparing order" status. I think Play-Asia doesn't have enough stock as the art book is now marked as "Usually ships within 5-15 days".

Aurelius

Pandaman said:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ilhb9d.jpg
you ever get the feeling something will be sold out by the time you can afford it?
I'm travelling to Japan this Summer. I hope to find it somewhere in Akihabara, together with the Persona 4 and Metal Gear Solid Art Books.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Aurelius said:
I'm travelling to Japan this Summer. I hope to find it somewhere in Akihabara, together with the Persona 4 and Metal Gear Solid Art Books.
my wallet does not need to know such things exist.

Ikkarus

LOVE & TRUTH said:
When did you preorder? I preordered just a week ago and it's still in the "Preparing order" status. I think Play-Asia doesn't have enough stock as the art book is now marked as "Usually ships within 5-15 days".

I preordered mine on the 7th on January. It does look like Play Asia have sold through thier initial stock and must be reordering to cater for more.

Still if they have taken payment from you surely they must have one allocated to you?
If not then it's the first online store I know that operates in this way.

Ikkarus said:
Still if they have taken payment from you surely they must have one allocated to you?
If not then it's the first online store I know that operates in this way.
Yeah, they took my money on January 13th, but haven't shipped anything yet. Oh well, must be my luck.

I completed Valkyria Chronicles today, with a bit over 22 hours played. I definitely consider this game to be a fantastic RPG, and I also consider it to be a part of the best Role Playing Games I've played in my lifetime. The only other two RPGs that I consider my favorites of all time are Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX; Valkyria Chronicles has just joined both. I have to thank you all NeoGAF for opening my eyes to this game. I always saw hype for the game around here, and that made me want to look into the game. If it weren't for the constant talk about how this game is good, I probably wouldn't have given it a chance. Luckily, I did, and I had an amazing time with the game. I would have taken my time with the game, but with MAG out Tuesday I wouldn't have had as much time to dedicate to it. I will surely replay the game in the future, though.

I think the battle in Chapter 17 with Jaegar's tank was probably the easiest battle amongst the last battles. Once you figure out how to do it quickly, it's easy as pie. Defeating the Mardot in Chapter 18 was also easier than I thought it would have been as well. I thought it was going to be horribly frustrating, and really time consuming. It almost would have been too, because the enemies were trying to take over the one base during the battle. They were very close to doing so, but my tank kept them at bay luckily. Then, the final showdown with Maximilian was a breeze too, once you find out how to attack him in the right way. Having your Lancers hit the electrical thingy-ma-jiggys that power Maximilian, and also having a Sniper snipe the farthest one definitely helps time wise. It's all about trail and error. Figuring out what works. Then, just having up to four Shocktroopers go up to him and shoot him in the head defeats him in no time. You also have to make sure you Order all of your Squad to have their Defenses up as well.

Finding out that Princess Cordelia is a Darcsen shocked me quite a bit. I'm bad at reading between the lines and stuff, and if there was ever a hint that she was who she really was, then I totally missed it. I loved how she found her voice, and stood up to Maximilian. It showed that she surely did take Welkin's advice, and she grew stronger due to what he told her. Then, when the Mardot crashed into Randgriz and then it broke the tall structure apart to reveal a huge lance, I was like whoa. That was a very nice hiding spot. Well, not the best since Maximilian found it, but I didn't have a clue that anything like that resided there. There's also one great thing I like about this game, and that's how it tells you about how the characters got to where they were. For instance, in the battle with Maximilian, he tells you how his mother was lowly, and his father was a higher up. Then, his mother got killed in a blast, and he survived and suffered. It was quite sad to hear that, but it didn't excuse his actions. Didn't expect Faldio to come to the rescue like he did either. He took Maximilian down with him, because he betrayed Welkin's trust. That was a sad moment, amongst the other sad moments in this game.

The way Leon swooped in and saved both Welkin and Alicia in the end was pretty neato. Especially since Leon and another squad finished what Isara started. Definitely would have made Isara happy to see her creation that she couldn't finish come to life and save her closest friends. Then, after the credits when it goes back to the city of Bruhl and Welkin is shown and Irene talks about how he has become what he wanted to become a teacher. Then, how Alicia became a baker and started her own bakery shop called "Alicia's Bakery" with the help of Welkin. It was just nice to see them both get to the place where they both wanted to be. Also, whenever their little girl came running out of the bakery, man, that was just adorable. The fact that they named her Isara as well was definitely heart warming.

So, yeah, from beginning to end, this game was just purely enjoyable. The only thing I regret is that I didn't pick this game up when it was 60 bucks, because it's a game that is totally worth full price. Hopefully, Sega releases another Valkyria Chronicles on the Playstation 3. If so, I'm there day one. I might even want Valkyria Chronicles 2 on the PSP, but it's just the controls on the PSP bother me. :/

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RubyEclipse said:
Wow, those artbooks really came out well. I've got some for Phantasy Star that I ordered a while back, and if it's anything like those, it'll be worth the money.

In other news - Giant Gallian flag towel get!

4294054124_9863aa9fe4.jpg

Wow :O I want that.

I sent you a PM btw <_<

TTG

lastinline said:
I have to thank you all NeoGAF for opening my eyes to this game. I always saw hype for the game around here, and that made me want to look into the game.

Yea, same here. This is my first strategy RPG and if it wasn't for 2 very good reasons I would never have given it a try.

1. Like you said, GAF creating a positive buzz and letting me on that it was 20$.

2. It's from the team that made Skies of Arcadia.

I'm up to chapter 8 now and it's a very nice change of pace. Laid back, charming and clever.

I don't think there will be another VC for the PS3. I don't think it sold too well. The bestbuys, future shops, and EBs in my area don't even carry it anymore. I had to actually order it from amazon.

TTG said:
Yea, same here. This is my first strategy RPG and if it wasn't for 2 very good reasons I would never have given it a try.

1. Like you said, GAF creating a positive buzz and letting me on that it was 20$.

2. It's from the team that made Skies of Arcadia.

I'm up to chapter 8 now and it's a very nice change of pace. Laid back, charming and clever.

Yeah it was nice to see Vyse and Aika making it to the game :)

All finished. Final completion time: 39 hours, 55 minutes.

Faldio is one crazy motherfucker. He's also totally awesome. I take back what I said about him before, nobody fucks with Faldio. Maximilian found that out the hard way. :lol

Finally got to watch the ending, even though I've seen the anime. The ending of the game was way, way better. Welkin and Alicia have a cute daughter, moto moto kawaii desu~ :lol

I see the game unlocks the whole soundtrack for you to listen to when you start your New Game+. How thoughtful. Hitoshi Sakimoto is an amazing composer and this game had a great soundtrack. Honestly I think VC's soundtrack is superior to FFXII's soundtrack, mainly because Sakimoto had to compose a lot more music for FFXII and I think his style wears thin when you stretch it out too much in one project.

Speaking of games composed by Sakimoto, Uber-Maximilian at the end seemed awfully familiar to me, since I have played through FFXII and fought Vayne's final form at the end. The Sakimoto music completed the feeling of been-there and done-that. It was a fucking annoying battle too since you had to blow up 3 towers every round and also Uber-Lelouch heals each round.

So you never actually get to control Godmode Alicia. What a fucking cocktease, making you watch her pwn noobs from the over-the-shoulder view just that once and then she goes back to being a scout for the rest of the game. Also, what the hell is up with the Valkyria potential which doesn't acutally seem to do anything? Mysterious Body is great and actually ties in with Alicia's ability to heal super-fast, but Valkyria doesn't do a fucking thing. We got fucking robbed, the Valkyria potential should make her glow blue and then she pulls out the lance and shield and starts fucking up some Imperial shit.

For some reason I didn't luck out and get the Awaken All Potentials order during my playthrough. Oh well.

Princess Cordelia and all the line of Rangriz is Darcsen. That was something that I don't think anybody playing the game the first time would have guessed at all, the game doesn't give a single hint until the big reveal. I wonder how this connects with the story of VC2, which is about a civil war in Gallia where the rebel side is strongly anti-Darcsen.

Overall, I would regard this game as one of the best RPGs I have ever played. It combines a completely unique and innovative gameplay system with a beautiful anime style and a compelling (yet stereotypically Japanese) story and a great cast of characters. The amount of effort put into developing the 50 optional squad members is commendable, not to mention the hefty amount of development all the main cast are given. The missions you purchase for
Largo, Rosie, Eleanor, Welkin, and Alicia
all flesh them out more (as if Welkin and Alicia needed any fleshing out to begin with). There's even a fanservice beach volleyball scene featuring Alicia in a bikini.
VALKYRIA
IN A BIKINI RAWR :lol

I wish the game would have had fewer talking heads in boxes and more fully-animated cutscenes. A number of crucial events occurred in boxed talking heads mode where it would have seemed more appropriate to have gone with fully animated. Also, I still don't understand the point of going back to
Irene Ellet (Koller)'s
book after one cutscene just to make you pick the next one to keep watching the story.
That was actually pretty fucking awesome, finding out in the middle of the story that the book you are "reading" was written by the reporter in the game.
Just play the cutscenes in sequence, it's not as if anyone is going to be skipping them the first time through.

I hope VC2 lives up to the standard this game has set.

Where can I get that towel?! I WANT!

Quixzlizx

BomberMouse said:
Same here. I paid full price for the game though. If only I knew a bit of japanese it would be easier to justify the purchase. I never liked artbook but VC looks sure reminds me many of the 80's/90's anime look wich is so hard to find nowdays

I'm one of the few that paid full-price, too. I'm probably going to end up breaking down.

DemiMatt

Man I love how this thread is still going strong. I was sad to see this for 20 bucks at gamestop, I'm glad that more people will buy, however I wish the game had better sales #s.

I've had this game since release and I still think its the best PS3 game. Right now I'm watching the Anime on episode 15, I'm glad it has its own story, but I wish the animation wasn't as limited, still great though.

Cannot wait for VC2, also if I see the art book anywhere in SF for cheap I'll let any gaf people know and I can get copies shipped and stuff.

DemiMatt said:
Cannot wait for VC2, also if I see the art book anywhere in SF for cheap I'll let any gaf people know and I can get copies shipped and stuff.

Oh dude that would be so awesome of you. I'd love to jump on that.

Top Bottom