• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RurouniZel said:
That is all kinds of hot. XD

You think she looks great like that, it was far better in person :)

It also helps that she is really nice and lots of fun to talk to.

Ellis Kim said:
Certainly, one of America's best, what with winning at the MGS cosplay camp last year.

She also made this outfit, she is really talented.

He won a bunch of awards at Anime Conji's masquerade.

Netto-kun

Wow, the VC postboard art is at $780, while the VC Limited Box Set is $600. o_O (now I regret not buying the latter for cheap when I had the chance :lol)

RPGCrazied said:
I just got this today, heard very good things about it. I'm really not into military settings, but this seems to have a mix a fantasy kinda in it. Kinda bummed I can't play II or III, well II is on PSP.. have the announced III yet? I'm guessing it'll be on PSP too.

Dear son, I have bad news for you
)Or just scroll up 15-20 posts from the previous page :p)

Hcoregamer00 said:
Hey guys, I just came back from Anime Conji over at San Diego. There was only one cosplayer from Valkyria Chronicles in there and it was the one that mattered, a Selvaria Cosplayer.

It was the same cosplayer I met at Anime Expo 2010, but this time she decided to do the swimsuit cosplay for Selvaria. Completely understandable because doing something like that at a massive con like Anime Expo would get way too much attention.
Wow, that cosplay is all kind of awesome and hot.

Speaking of Selveria, she is a playable character in the VC3 DLC mission that was released this Thursday. After beating the mission she'll become a permanent member in Squad 442 along with Maximillian. A new mission will also be unlocked, where you can get her Ruhm weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxxs6l9hqAc

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Hey guys, I just came back from Anime Conji over at San Diego. There was only one cosplayer from Valkyria Chronicles in there and it was the one that mattered, a Selvaria Cosplayer.

It was the same cosplayer I met at Anime Expo 2010, but this time she decided to do the swimsuit cosplay for Selvaria. Completely understandable because doing something like that at a massive con like Anime Expo would get way too much attention.

Very cool pic. I remember her saying she was planning on doing Swimsuit Selvaria as a possibility. I don't know that this would necessarily cause much of a scene at Anime Expo compared to some of the outfits I saw last year. Especially given that Selvaria isn't a hugely known character. I have some photos of a Halibel cosplayer that were...o_0 to say the least.

I hope to have something awesome for you guys related to this lovely lady in the very near future. Just have to work out some minor details...

BTW for anyone getting any ideas, Solid Snake is her husband.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
Very cool pic. I remember her saying she was planning on doing Swimsuit Selvaria as a possibility. I don't know that this would necessarily cause much of a scene at Anime Expo compared to some of the outfits I saw last year. Especially given that Selvaria isn't a hugely known character. I have some photos of a Halibel cosplayer that were...o_0 to say the least.

I hope to have something awesome for you guys related to this lovely lady in the very near future. Just have to work out some minor details...

BTW for anyone getting any ideas, Solid Snake is her husband.

They are both great to talk to, Todd and Crystal are a great couple. His reaction was funny when I asked him why doesn't he cosplay with his wife from the same series this time around.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I've been slowly working my way through this game for the past couple of weeks. I think I'm at Chapter 15 or something right now. Basically just finished the mission where
Alicia becomes a Valkyria.

I know I'm getting pretty close to the end now. I guess if I had any complaints about the game, the biggest one would be that the difficulty curve seems to be a bit uneven. The game starts off easy, gets progressively harder, than gets easier again, and now it seems like it may go back to being hard again.

Is there anything I should know before I push through the last few missions? Are there any major class ups beyond Elite status?

Jarmel

Banned
ZealousD said:
So I've been slowly working my way through this game for the past couple of weeks. I think I'm at Chapter 15 or something right now. Basically just finished the mission where
Alicia becomes a Valkyria.

I know I'm getting pretty close to the end now. I guess if I had any complaints about the game, the biggest one would be that the difficulty seems to be a bit uneven. The game starts off easy, gets progressively harder, than gets easier again, and now it seems like it may go back to being hard again.

Is there anything I should know before I push through the last few missions? Are there any major class ups beyond Elite status?

The difficulty varies pretty drastically in the game. Chapter 7, one of the harder chapters, is followed by chapter 8, one of the easier chapters.

Acquiesc3

Banned
Q2 is fine for me, don't want to juggle VC3 with the console big hitters in Q3 and Q4 though.

Listening to the VC3 OST now and hearing Kokon Horay (from Dragon Quarter) in a number of the tracks got me all excited. NA release date announcement now please.

Hcoregamer00

Still no sign of Valkyria Chronicles 3, and word that has been spreading around about Sega dropping the PSP is not good. I may have to start saving some money to import the game. If there is no announcement at E3 then all chances for a USA release will be little to none.

Oh yeah, I also did a short write up on Selvaria Bles on my blog.

laika09

Hcoregamer00 said:
Still no sign of Valkyria Chronicles 3, and word that has been spreading around about Sega dropping the PSP is not good. I may have to start saving some money to import the game. If there is no announcement at E3 then all chances for a USA release will be little to none.

Disappointing :(

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i started playing this game a little bit, i'm only about 2 or 3 pages in.

about how many stages does this game have? from the looks of it it seems like around 20 just judging from the pages, but there's probably something i'm missing as far as content goes

ezekial45

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

Very disappointing if true. Has anyone here played it? I'd really like to hear some impressions on it.

iavi

It's pretty funny that this thread popped back up, I've owned the game since its release, but am just getting into now, haha. I just reached chapter 12-
just past the part where Isara dies, which was just fucking swell cause she was quite possibly the most developed character in the whole fucking game
It's been great otherwise..

Really interested to play the other ones now. I'm gonna wait till I pick the NGP up though. My psp broke, and I don't see the sense in investing in one now.

flyover

Miri said:
Really interested to play the other ones now. I'm gonna wait till I pick the NGP up though. My psp broke, and I don't see the sense in investing in one now.
The good news is that VC1 has a lot of replay value -- what with the skirmishes and, if you're wiling to shell out a few bucks, the DLC.

I just realized this morning -- two years after first playing the game -- that I'd never done one of the Hard missions (Upper Fouzen). So much fun. And, if things get too easy, you can set ad-hoc rules for yourself (e.g., no scouts, only troopers, crappy guns etc.). Have fun finishing the main storyline!

Hcoregamer00

flyover said:
The good news is that VC1 has a lot of replay value -- what with the skirmishes and, if you're wiling to shell out a few bucks, the DLC.

I just realized this morning -- two years after first playing the game -- that I'd never done one of the Hard missions (Upper Fouzen). So much fun. And, if things get too easy, you can set ad-hoc rules for yourself (e.g., no scouts, only troopers, crappy guns etc.). Have fun finishing the main storyline!

The second game also has a ton of replay value, especially if you can do co-op with another person.

I can't speak for the third game since I don't own it, but I did hear that they put more emphasis on the single player aspect.

Hcoregamer00 said:

Well this is rather depressing to hear, I hope Sega can deliver the goods but i'm not too optimistic.
Nice article as well by the way.

Hcoregamer00

Nocturnowl said:
Well this is rather depressing to hear, I hope Sega can deliver the goods but i'm not too optimistic.
Nice article as well by the way.

Same here, I am expecting the worst, but hoping for some good news. At least it will temper my inevitable rage that will happen after a lack of news arises.

Thanks for the compliment, I tried to explain her past the whole "eye candy" thing to show that she is actually a very well developed and nuanced character.

Quixzlizx said:
RubyEclipse is going to run out of reasons to show up here if E3 goes by without a VC3 announcement.

Mr. RubyEclipse wont be popular among the Valkyria faithful if E3 comes to pass with nary a word from Sega.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hcoregamer00 said:

It is precisely for this reason that I bought it last week while in Japan visiting friends. I've been playing it virtually non-stop and I think I'm about half-way through. It's WORLDS better than VC2 if you prefer the single player experience like I do. If you know anyone in Japan who can pick it up for you, it can be had used for anywhere between 3240-3640 yen.

I'll post some general thoughts so far, but I'll try to stay away from spoilers.

- Story is a lot better, and the characters are much more interesting. Kurt is nowhere near as annoying as Avan was.
- The music is much better this time. Judging only by the new tracks, I think this is Hitoshi Sakamoto's best score yet. There are a few pieces in VC1 that are better, but the overall soundtrack is much more solid.
- The artwork is amazingly lovely and awesome. Worlds better than VC2's... whatever those were.
- Same with cinematics. Much better animation and artwork.
- Voice acting is top notch.
- Battles are only for story progression, no stupid credits here. There are free missions that are labeled on the map for those who want to grind.
- 9 units total on the battlefield instead of 6, but still a max of 5 per area.
- Tanks only require 1 CP to use now, but start with less firepower.
- At certain points in the story, Kurt, Reia and Imca will gain special abilities that use 1 CP and a new point called SP. This must be activated *before* their turn by pressing Triangle on their icon and selecting the 2nd option.
- There's FAR less time to pick up a fallen ally in battle. Basically, you've got one turn after they're killed to get them out of there.
- But Engineers can revive fallen allies. Additionally when you pick up an ally who's fallen ("MEDIC, COME QUICKLY!"), you can use that ally the very next phase.
- There are occasional divergent battle paths. There will be an A or B battle you need to beat to move on in the story, but once you pick one battle, you cannot attempt the other.
- Scouts aren't as powerful as before, and are now not as useful in battle as before because...
- ... the crossfire WILL kill you. It's actually a tad unfair, the cross/retaliatory fire is a lot more powerful from the enemies, but not so for your team. Maybe they just have better armor? :/
- There are maps drawn directly from VC2, quite a few of them.
- Maybe due to the increase number of units, but there is some amount of slowdown between enemy movements and actions, like it's having trouble thinking of what it wants to do.
- Armor Techs now deactivate mines and repair bunkers.
- I still can't figure out how to create a Fencer. Then again I never figured this out in VC2 either... managed to beat the game without them so I guess okay.

Overall, I'm loving this. SEGA not bringing this to America is an absolute crime. I don't care if they have to port it to the 3DS or NGP to get it here, just get it here goddamn it!! >_<

Duffyside

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Neener Neener
When someone says they are playing a Japanese game, I always wonder: do you speak Japanese? Or are you just somehow getting past it? Or does this game have English subs? Cuz if it has an English menu/sub option, what the hell are you people waiting for?

VC3 may be better than VC2 but still it doesn't even come close to the original. I have VC3 - couldn't say no to a friend, who thought I was a rabid VC fan and made me a present. ^_^; I've invested 4 or 5 hours into it but don't have the will to move on. I'm replaying VC1 instead!

RurouniZel

duffyside said:
When someone says they are playing a Japanese game, I always wonder: do you speak Japanese? Or are you just somehow getting past it? Or does this game have English subs? Cuz if it has an English menu/sub option, what the hell are you people waiting for?

I'm studying Japanese. I don't understand 100% of the information, but I understand enough to follow the story and play the game.

Duffyside

Banned
RurouniZel said:
I'm studying Japanese. I don't understand 100% of the information, but I understand enough to follow the story and play the game.
Well laa dee daa, Mr. Fancy Pants... I'm totally jealous. Yes, jealous of people who like to learn new things. I like to forget old ones and never try. Ever.

But I like to try and think of ways to not learn, and not work hard, so how's this: I put an iPhone in front of a PSP, use that magic app that translates signs from one language to another, and then use the iPhone screen to play Valkyria 3? Huh!? HUH!? Pretty good idea, right?

RurouniZel

duffyside said:
Well laa dee daa, Mr. Fancy Pants... I'm totally jealous. Yes, jealous of people who like to learn new things. I like to forget old ones and never try. Ever.

But I like to try and think of ways to not learn, and not work hard, so how's this: I put an iPhone in front of a PSP, use that magic app that translates signs from one language to another, and then use the iPhone screen to play Valkyria 3? Huh!? HUH!? Pretty good idea, right?

If it's anything like Google Translate, it'll be right some times, and hilariously off and just plain weird the rest of the time. :/

RurouniZel

luka said:
I'm still waiting for my original Japanese copy to get patched with XMB support.

>_>

The Japanese copy of the 1st game doesn't have XMB support? That's surprising.

The Frankman said:
How does this thread gets bumped when people don't even talk about the game anymore? It's all artbooks/VC2/VC3 every time I look here. :p

That's not a problem, and it's better than starting a brand new thread saying "No VC3 yet. I am disappoint."

gokieks

Got an e-mail from Amazon today telling me they cancelled my order for the Design Archive artbook. It's not on the UDON website's release schedule either, but but someone who hopefully is the real COO of UDON posted this on the Amazon discussion post for it:

Hello everyone, Erik from UDON here! First of all, thank you very much for your support on our artbooks! Just wanna drop by to let everyone know that after some unforeseeable approval delay, the Valkyria book will be shipping out from our printer in Hong Kong this coming week! That means they shall be in stores and available to ship by Amazon in about 6 weeks from now!

Hopefully that actually does happen because I'd really like this in English to go along with my Japanese copy, but I'm skeptical after this has been delayed like 3 times already.

Makoto

The art book is back in stock. Now, I think I may contact customer service and get the price it was at when I had it pre-ordered.

Edit: Talked to them and got that priced adjusted.

matmanx1

Yeah my order got cancelled today also. I promptly went and re-ordered since Amazon still has it up. I don't mind waiting but I do think it's abit silly for Amazon to just cancel the order on you if the publisher is saying that the book is still coming.

Ellis Kim

Banned
That's weird, mine wasn't cancelled, so I still have it waiting at $26.30

Although, it hasn't updated its shipping estimate, either.

Giolon

Mine got canceled last night and I thought "Well, since VC3 is obviously not coming out here maybe they just decided to cancel the art book too." It's fortunate to see that it's still coming.

SEGA has been nothing but a bag of disappointment lately. It's nice to see UDON still has some faith in us.

Dunan

Juct checked my own Amazon account and they've still got my order up at $31.24. That's with a $18.75 discount (three-eighths; 38%). Did other people get bigger discounts than that?

I already have the Japanese original and it really is a beautiful book. I hope the interviews in the latter sections get translated!

The VC2 artbook is decent enough but not quite as great as the first one. I hope they make one for VC3 also!

matmanx1

Dunan said:
Juct checked my own Amazon account and they've still got my order up at $31.24. That's with a $18.75 discount (three-eighths; 38%). Did other people get bigger discounts than that?

I already have the Japanese original and it really is a beautiful book. I hope the interviews in the latter sections get translated!

The VC2 artbook is decent enough but not quite as great as the first one. I hope they make one for VC3 also!

I honestly can't remember what price my original order was at since it's been so long ago. Mine is in at the $31.24 also but if it was originally at a lower price then the cancellation order email indicated I would be eligible to receive the lower price.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'd only gotten my PS3 last month, so I never thought to get the original VC back when it was easily found for $20 with free shipping. In the past month I'd never seen it dip particularly below $26, so I finally caved and ordered it along with FF 13 which happened to be on sale. I feel I'm going to love the game even though I've pretty much had every event in the game spoiled all to hell by playing thoroughly through VC2.

deim0s

They cancelled mine as well... previously the price I got is at $29. Will sort it out with Amazon to get that price back.

Snaku

Banned
matmanx1 said:
Yeah my order got cancelled today also. I promptly went and re-ordered since Amazon still has it up. I don't mind waiting but I do think it's abit silly for Amazon to just cancel the order on you if the publisher is saying that the book is still coming.

Pissed me off how they handled this. They've adjusted the release date of this thing a half dozen times at least, and now they just straight up cancel the orders hours before putting it up for pre-order again? So I lost the $26 pre-order with Prime shipping for what? Incompetence?

Top Bottom