• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Lain

That delay email really hurt this morning. I wonder what the problem is, maybe a bad batch so they need to redo them?

ezekial45 said:
Yeah, i've read a few. I was hoping for some here too. The fact that a number of them said that it's WAY better than VC2 is very encouraging.

I also like that characters in game are more unique gameplay wise. While you can change them into any class, they have bonuses for particular ones. Which is great.
Nah. Making one person more suited to one class is just going to get people whining that they want them to be suited to some other class. Not that I mind of course.

My copy STILL hasn't arrived from ncsx.com

kiryogi

Banned
So for anyone that's picked up Senjou 3... anyone have trouble installing it? I keep getting media access errors. It's really pissing me off. Tried different memory sticks and deleting everything.

jae

kiryogi said:
So for anyone that's picked up Senjou 3... anyone have trouble installing it? I keep getting media access errors. It's really pissing me off. Tried different memory sticks and deleting everything.

You have to be at 100% charge, apparently.

In chapter 15 of 3 now, loving it. It fixes just about all the problems that 2 had. I'll post impressions once I finish.

jae said:
You have to be at 100% charge, apparently.

In chapter 15 of 3 now, loving it. It fixes just about all the problems that 2 had. I'll post impressions once I finish.

That is good news.

Dunno if I can suffer through the last half of 2. Might skip right to 3.

Davidion

Just started playing this game last night. The chapter presentation, including all the cutscenes and their sometimes piecemeal presentation, is annoying as all get out.

The gameplay and overall design, thankfully, is very enjoyable.

So I finally got my copy of VC3 in ye olde mailbox. Thanks ncsx. People were asking for impressions here, so here's what I've got so far:

Played through the first 3 tutorial missions. You can see the S rank conditions before the mission, which is a nice change. Reached 3rd tutorial and I was surprised to see our old friend Vasel farmstead/field map from VC2. Wonder why they decided to reuse it?

S rank turn counts for the tutorial seemed a bit on the tight side, with not a lot of CP to spare. For example, on tutorials 1 and 3, I finished on the last S rank turn on the last available CP. I don't see novice or average players stumbling into S ranks or high scores with no KO penalties. There's still the distinct possibility of overpowered DLC that significantly reduces the difficulty, but we'll see.

I don't know a lot of Japanese so I'll likely be missing out on some important new feature or another.

More impressions:

Interception fire is more damaging. Even scouts don't tickle anymore. Enemy shock interception feels like a lv 80 gunner from VC2.
Enemies begin firing faster, making it harder to glitch their aim or run past them unscathed.
Time limits on S ranks continue to be fairly tight if you want to get the highest possible score on the map. Seems like the devs actually paid attention this time. But we'll see how long that holds up.
Forest map from VC2 reused in one of the free battles.
Don't like how when you kill an enemy in combat mode you get a portrait of the characters face RIGHT on top of the minimap. Dunno if you can turn it off in the options, but it's very annoying.
That chicks lance gun is pretty fucking sweet.
There are now many overhead icons next to units in map mode stating whether a unit has low HP, low ammo, status effects, etc.
Wish I could read more Japanese.

Still no mid-battle saving.
You can have up to 9 units deployed at a time. Limit per area is still 5. So you could have 5 in area A, and 4 in area B.

jae

All the maps from VC2 show up at one point another, either in the story or the free/extra missions. There are quite a few new maps, and one or two from VC1.

I'm on the last chapter now, about 70 hours. Really like Calamity Raven. Dahau & Zig in particular.

The music buffs from the highest tier Engineers are ridiculous. One grenade from a buffed Scout can take out just about any non-tank enemy until way late in the game. With the better ace guns and the double movement potential, you can pretty much demolish entire maps with Riela.

jae said:
All the maps from VC2 show up at one point another, either in the story or the free/extra missions.

Worst part of the game to me, they reused too many maps, not only from VC2 but also you see the new maps a lot. After playing more than 300 hours to VC2, I'm sick of those maps.

The game is fantastic anyway, 2 chapters to finish for me.

I didn't realize there were so many import tactics gamers.

Did any of you play the latest Fire Emblem? Just wondering.

I figured there would be balance breaking stuff eventually, but right now things seem pretty smooth.

nny

Crap, I wasn't aware of the delay in the artbook. I ordered it through bookdepository and now the book just shows up on the site as "out of stock". Oh well.

LeoStenbuck said:
This reminds me, I still need to finish behind her blue flame.

Was at the part where Selvaria gets chemical warfared.
Excellent DLC, you won't regret it. Don't forget the Ex-Hard DLC. Even if you save/load excessively you're in for a fight.

Snaku

Banned
Got another update from Amazon on the artbook.

Sega "Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive"
Previous estimated arrival date: July 14 2011
New estimated arrival date: April 29 2011

Better than July! :)

Netto-kun

Yay @ the screenshot feature in VC3.

VALKYRIA3_0001.jpg

Snaku said:
Got another update from Amazon on the artbook.

Sega "Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive"
Previous estimated arrival date: July 14 2011
New estimated arrival date: April 29 2011

Better than July! :)

sweet. been a while since i've bought an artbook, but that one will be mine.

daoster said:
Regarding VC3:
Is it true there are multiple paths?
Answer :
yes, multiple paths in each chapter where you can choose which mission you want, and the other one gets locked out after that.
And there are multiple endings. Highlight below to know the number of endings :

Second part of answer (only after having highlighted the first part and read it) :

mjemirzian said:
More impressions:

Interception fire is more damaging. Even scouts don't tickle anymore. Enemy shock interception feels like a lv 80 gunner from VC2.
Enemies begin firing faster, making it harder to glitch their aim or run past them unscathed.
Time limits on S ranks continue to be fairly tight if you want to get the highest possible score on the map. Seems like the devs actually paid attention this time. But we'll see how long that holds up.
Forest map from VC2 reused in one of the free battles.
Don't like how when you kill an enemy in combat mode you get a portrait of the characters face RIGHT on top of the minimap. Dunno if you can turn it off in the options, but it's very annoying.
That chicks lance gun is pretty fucking sweet.
There are now many overhead icons next to units in map mode stating whether a unit has low HP, low ammo, status effects, etc.
Wish I could read more Japanese.

Still no mid-battle saving.
You can have up to 9 units deployed at a time. Limit per area is still 5. So you could have 5 in area A, and 4 in area B.

I'm all giddy with anticipation! I can't wait to play this game now!

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
So, I finally got a PS3 this weekend. And while it won't be my primary gaming machine, I was finally motivated to pick one up because of the praise being given to two games here - Demon's Souls, and Valkyria Chronicles. Being an RPG fan, and a Skies of Arcadia fan in particular, there didn't seem to be any choice for me.

For once, the hype here seems justified.

Valkyria is proving to be impressive so far, even though I'm super-early in the game. What I think I'm going to like about this game is, I just reached the first cutscene featuring characters from the Empire. And as far as I can tell, they aren't acting "OMG EVIL!". I hope that holds up, and the bad guys have as much depth as the militia characters seem to.

And while I know I should read through this thread to find answers to some questions I have (and I will), I also know from past lurking experience that when a game has been out for awhile, spoilers become intermittent at best. So my first, simple question is: Are the weapon drops worth equipping - once i figure out how to equip? I've been opting instead to level up the weapons that the squad is already equipped with, but i wasn't sure if there was a positive or negative to equipping what's been dropped on the field.

Peff

You can equip individual units in the first tab of Headquarters. As for which weapons to use, well, just equip the ones you think suit your playstyle best. As long as you keep upgrading them, the standard weapons remain a viable option the entire game, but at some points maybe you'll have a stronger enemy weapon for a couple of fights, or you'll start obtaining the Royal Weapons in the second half of the game (by getting A ranks) which are really powerful. Just remember, don't bother with upgrades to added effects, which aren't really worth the loss of strength/accuracy and that every time you upgrade a weapon, it will be equipped to everyone who doesn't carry a custom weapon, so if you have too much money and start upgrading everything just because, change the weapons back to your original choice.

SykoTech

You can also see what effects equipping/moving dropped weapons will have on your squad members' stats while making your decision. So it's easy to way the pros and cons to the choices. And make sure to keep your tank's firepower and accuracy upgraded as well. You'll really need it the latter half of the game.

As for your characterization hopes, I think you'll be quite pleased.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
Thanks for the tips, SykoTech and Peff.

I just completed the Chapter 7 desert battle by the absolute skin of my teeth - the Batomys was right at the doorstep of my main base camp, 2/3rds of my squad was dead and Yuko was the only lancer left standing. I know that battle shouldn't have been as hard or as long as it was - which means it's now time for me to delve deeper into the upgrade/skirmish/stat mechanics.

My main criticism so far, so painfully obvious in this battle, is the inaccuracy of the Lancers. Sometimes, it seemed as if distance and pinpoint crosshairs played a factor, except for the times when it didn't. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to when a shot would connect or not.

Aasir Osu said:
Thanks for the tips, SykoTech and Peff.

I just completed the Chapter 7 desert battle by the absolute skin of my teeth - the Batomys was right at the doorstep of my main base camp, 2/3rds of my squad was dead and Yuko was the only lancer left standing. I know that battle shouldn't have been as hard or as long as it was - which means it's now time for me to delve deeper into the upgrade/skirmish/stat mechanics.

My main criticism so far, so painfully obvious in this battle, is the inaccuracy of the Lancers. Sometimes, it seemed as if distance and pinpoint crosshairs played a factor, except for the times when it didn't. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to when a shot would connect or not.

Basically, the orange circle is the area in which the lancer will end up shooting. Where that ends up being is a roll of the dice, with some factors. It's not 100% random. The higher the accuracy stat of the weapon, the smaller that orange circle will be. If your target fills the circle entirely, then it's pretty much 100% guaranteed to hit. This applies to all weapons, all classes. It is sort of an RPG after all.

You need to use grenades in the vents for the tank. Three grenades and the tank is toast.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So after being late to the party on the PS3, it seems I'm late to the party in this game. I have a very complicated relationship with JRPGs, and this seems to be one of the few games in the genre I can get into. That is very high praise.

I've done a few chapters so far. Just got a quick question. Is there any good reason to give the reporter chick my money?

Giolon

ZealousD said:
So after being late to the party on the PS3, it seems I'm late to the party in this game. I have a very complicated relationship with JRPGs, and this seems to be one of the few games in the genre I can get into. That is very high praise.

I've done a few chapters so far. Just got a quick question. Is there any good reason to give the reporter chick my money?

Yes.

Slight Spoiler Reason:
Some of them have bonus missions
Meta-gaming Spoiler Reason:
The bonus missions unlock Potentials for the main cast

Netto-kun

Thanks to the encouragement of VC3, I beated VC1 two weeks ago, after being stucked on chapter 17 for several months. Then I beated VC3
(Imca ending)
right after that, both games are so good.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Well, after catching back up from our Tokyo trip (we happened to be there right as the quake hit - thankfully, we're all unharmed), we've just set up some charity auctions to help donate money to Japan, and there are two pieces of Valkyria Chronicles stuff that I think you guys should see. :)

The first is a copy of Valkyria Chronicles for PS3, signed by two members of the dev team, including Ryutaro Nonaka. This was part of my personal collection of awesome, rare swag, but we're auctioning it now for a good cause.

The second is one of the huge matted posterboard pieces of artwork that we take around with us when showing off games. This was one of three pieces used to promote the original Valkyria Chronicles, and is in fact the only piece remaining at SEGA. It's huge, it's awesome, and it's already going for over $100.

100% of all the proceeds from the auctions are going to the red cross, and people all throughout SEGA have helped by donating items to auction off.

For those interested, full list of items here.

Squad 7, move out - for a good cause!

RPGCrazied

I just got this today, heard very good things about it. I'm really not into military settings, but this seems to have a mix a fantasy kinda in it. Kinda bummed I can't play II or III, well II is on PSP.. have the announced III yet? I'm guessing it'll be on PSP too.

RubyEclipse said:
Well, after catching back up from our Tokyo trip (we happened to be there right as the quake hit - thankfully, we're all unharmed), we've just set up some charity auctions to help donate money to Japan, and there are two pieces of Valkyria Chronicles stuff that I think you guys should see. :)

The first is a copy of Valkyria Chronicles for PS3, signed by two members of the dev team, including Ryutaro Nonaka. This was part of my personal collection of awesome, rare swag, but we're auctioning it now for a good cause.

The second is one of the huge matted posterboard pieces of artwork that we take around with us when showing off games. This was one of three pieces used to promote the original Valkyria Chronicles, and is in fact the only piece remaining at SEGA. It's huge, it's awesome, and it's already going for over $100.

100% of all the proceeds from the auctions are going to the red cross, and people all throughout SEGA have helped by donating items to auction off.

For those interested, full list of items here.

Squad 7, move out - for a good cause!

Nice, I'd want that stuff. Hope you guys can sell it!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Riskbreaker23 said:
was hoping VC3 would be announced for US release by now. E3 is pretty much the last chance for it to come out outside Japan.

Yeah, the silence is deafening, too bad.

RPGCrazied said:
I just got this today, heard very good things about it. I'm really not into military settings, but this seems to have a mix a fantasy kinda in it. Kinda bummed I can't play II or III, well II is on PSP.. have the announced III yet? I'm guessing it'll be on PSP too.

I am guessing PSP2 if they are developing a Valkyria Chronicles IV.

wow, over 500 dollars. I just cant do it. Im sorry VC, i've let you down T_T

EDIT: My amazon.ca is showing the art book as july. Hope it gets changed.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hey guys, I just came back from Anime Conji over at San Diego. There was only one cosplayer from Valkyria Chronicles in there and it was the one that mattered, a Selvaria Cosplayer.

It was the same cosplayer I met at Anime Expo 2010, but this time she decided to do the swimsuit cosplay for Selvaria. Completely understandable because doing something like that at a massive con like Anime Expo would get way too much attention.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hcoregamer00 said:
Hey guys, I just came back from Anime Conji over at San Diego. There was only one cosplayer from Valkyria Chronicles in there and it was the one that mattered, a Selvaria Cosplayer.

It was the same cosplayer I met at Anime Expo 2010, but this time she decided to do the swimsuit cosplay for Selvaria. Completely understandable because doing something like that at a massive con like Anime Expo would get way too much attention.

That is all kinds of hot. XD

tiff

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

Very nice.

Top Bottom