• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

thcsquad

I did not know about the dpad aiming thing until reading the last page. That probably would have helped me in my first playthrough!

As for snipers, yes they can be tough to use in some maps where stuff is blocking your way. Or at least, tough to be useful for the entire battle. I remember them being useful for these things:

• Spending the early part of a battle getting to a position where they can snipe later enemies, so when the main crew gets there they are just cleaning up
  • Pick off the starting enemies so the main crew can just waltz through quicker
  • Battling other snipers
  • Spawn camping - get within good view of a camp that the enemy uses to bring in more units, and just kill them as they spawn. And, of course...
  • Tearing the living shit out of everybody's face on open-ended maps

Most maps have at least one of these tasks for snipers to do. None of these things usually require high AP, except for the first one but the point is if you accept that your snipers aren't going to be helping the first portion of the battle, you all of a sudden have eight turns to get to your sniping spot instead of two.

1stStrike

Banned
thcsquad said:
I did not know about the dpad aiming thing until reading the last page. That probably would have helped me in my first playthrough!

As for snipers, yes they can be tough to use in some maps where stuff is blocking your way. Or at least, tough to be useful for the entire battle. I remember them being useful for these things:

• Spending the early part of a battle getting to a position where they can snipe later enemies, so when the main crew gets there they are just cleaning up
  • Pick off the starting enemies so the main crew can just waltz through quicker
  • Battling other snipers
  • Spawn camping - get within good view of a camp that the enemy uses to bring in more units, and just kill them as they spawn. And, of course...
  • Tearing the living shit out of everybody's face on open-ended maps

Most maps have at least one of these tasks for snipers to do. None of these things usually require high AP, except for the first one but the point is if you accept that your snipers aren't going to be helping the first portion of the battle, you all of a sudden have eight turns to get to your sniping spot instead of two.

The problem is that at this point most of the enemy is behind sand bags or some sort of cover - and the snipers on the map are far out of range and not worth the turns I'd waste getting my sniper there. When I line up a shot with a sniper and it says "11" shots to kill, I just give up.

There were some maps earlier, like the desert one, where I was able to use snipers effectively, but for a while now they've been mostly useless. While they're a bit squishy, a team of scouts/engineers is much more mobile and when clumped together decimate most anyone that tries to run past them, so I'm going to mostly stick with them unless a situation specifically calls for something else.

I really enjoy this game and think it's something every gamer that's interested in RPGs or strategy should experience. Hell, maybe even action game fans or gamers overall should experience this game. It's unique, it's innovative, it's fun.

I simply feel like there wasn't enough here to carry the game. As I posted a little while ago, I was having trouble finding the motivation to continue. I did and made it further but I feel the same. The main characters have as much personality as a wall and the story isn't strong at all. The gameplay was exciting but it's gotten very repetitive.

I know a lot of people love this game and I like it a lot but it's really plateaued a little over halfway through imo. Shocking story developments, better characters, additions to the battle mechanics or abilities...some big changes to keep things fresh would be nice.
An additional battle order and Alicia learning that doctor nature loves nature and is her squad husband doesn't cut it. It seems I'm forever waiting for the story to really progress but it's simply full out slow and awkward conversations

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm stuck on the big tank... :/

Got my butt kicked three times in a row after winning all the previous encounters. I even did some grinding for a couple hours and still lost. So I haven't gone back to it in months.

Any advice? I actually enjoy the story in a campy, fun kind of way, would like to move on...

1stStrike

Banned
recklessmind said:

Got my butt kicked three times in a row after winning all the previous encounters. I even did some grinding for a couple hours and still lost. So I haven't gone back to it in months.

Any advice? I actually enjoy the story in a campy, fun kind of way, would like to move on...

Har har, it only took me two tries to do the big tank :D

Get 4 or so lancers, and get ahead of the tank, knock down all the rubble, etc. Every time the big tank shoots, have a lancer run up and shoot his 3 rocks at the radiator cells, and then finish it off with a grenade.

Once the cells are destroyed you can actually damage the tank. Just boost up a lancers attack and keep engineer near him to restock his ammo and then have him hammer it for an entire turn. Should be able to finish the tank off in 2 turns.

When the Valkyria enters the battle I just used my tank to block her to protect my soldiers.

1stStrike said:
Get 4 or so lancers, and get ahead of the tank, knock down all the rubble, etc. Every time the big tank shoots, have a lancer run up and shoot his 3 rocks at the radiator cells, and then finish it off with a grenade.
Why so complicated? When the Batomys shoots and its radiator grills open up, simply have a scout climb the ladder near that radiator and throw a grenade in the opening. That will be enough.

1stStrike said:
When the Valkyria enters the battle I just used my tank to block her to protect my soldiers.
Yes, this.

1stStrike

Banned
LOVE & TRUTH said:
Why so complicated? When the Batomys shoots and its radiator grills open up, simply have a scout climb the ladder near that radiator and throw a grenade in the opening. That will be enough.

Yes, this.

lol i always thought i'd need the lancers to take them out, so that's the way i ended up doing it. it worked for me, but yeah it probably wasn't the most efficient way to do it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hey, thanks guys... I don't know why I never thought of that.

I was prioritizing the thing's cannons as targets... since most of the time they OHK my people. As far as using my tank as cover, I've done that in most encounters, but the giant tank smokes mine in one shot! So I've been trying to hide it. :lol

I'll get back to this soon. I was really enjoying it until I hit a difficulty wall... apparently my own fault for being dumb.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
recklessmind said:
Hey, thanks guys... I don't know why I never thought of that.

I was prioritizing the thing's cannons as targets... since most of the time they OHK my people. As far as using my tank as cover, I've done that in most encounters, but the giant tank smokes mine in one shot! So I've been trying to hide it. :lol

I'll get back to this soon. I was really enjoying it until I hit a difficulty wall... apparently my own fault for being dumb.

Yeah, they don't make that part the most obvious. Took me a couple tries to get what they wanted me to do. ^^

MechaX

recklessmind said:

I just cleared that stage today. You can make due by knocking down all of the walls set around the area with a lancer (I had Largo in the north sector and another Lancer in the southern sector; Largo mostly takes care of the turrets near the ladders on the tank, the southern lancer destroys walls in the south and can hide behind some walls where no one ever comes to mess with him and he can take potshots at more turrets). The Edelweiss was just there; far enough to not get taken out in one shot (even though the Batomys rarely ever went for Welkin), but close enough to take some potshots at turrets.

Mostly had Shocktroopers and Scouts in the south to easily dispatch troops (Vyse alone was able to take care of the group of shocktroopers and the lancer on the ridge), and a few scouts in the north to make sure they could get to the Batomys when the radiator opens. As mentioned, a grenade will take care of any radiator in one shot (however, there is one radiator that is abnormally close to the ladder and there is a good shot that the soldier will actually miss. I think it's the very rear radiator, so save before taking that one out.

Also, don't do what I did when I destroyed the last radiator before I got every one into some kind of cover. Selvaria will come in on the next turn and start fucking your entire squad up if your positioning is off. You'll have to finish off the Batomys but it's so damn big that no lancer or the Edelweiss should be missing at any range. You can probably get by just selecting the tank or your lancers for each action and take it out in a single turn (or two).

Wool

I just beat that mission yesterday, I'm glad to see there's a few of you on here that are around the same part of the game! I've beaten a few more since that part, now I'm on the mission where
the princess gets kidnapped and you have to stop them from escaping

I've got a question though. How much and for how long do those orders Welkin can do work? If I do the "raise attack" order on Vyse for example, how much more damage will he do and is it for the rest of the battle or just for a turn? Is there a set amount his attack will improve, or is it a percentage of his current attack?

rdelaney said:
I just beat that mission yesterday, I'm glad to see there's a few of you on here that are around the same part of the game! I've beaten a few more since that part, now I'm on the mission where
the princess gets kidnapped and you have to stop them from escaping

I've got a question though. How much and for how long do those orders Welkin can do work? If I do the "raise attack" order on Vyse for example, how much more damage will he do and is it for the rest of the battle or just for a turn? Is there a set amount his attack will improve, or is it a percentage of his current attack?

If I recall, orders last for 1 turn.

I found that mission super darn easy if you're able to give a shocktrooper an armor piercing order. They can just run up to the radiator on the back and blast the crap out of it in one turn.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got this on Christmas and have been having a blast so far, up to the end of chapter 8 currently. I saw a lot of talk about how hard that battle in 7 was but managed to fairly easily beat it on my first shot, though I wish I knew scouts could take the radiators out with one grenade. :lol

I actually had way more trouble on the forest level in chapter 6 IIRC, I got slaughtered there.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hey guys, I was over at Anime Los Angeles 2011 this weekend and saw four Valkyria Chronicles cosplay. Here are the two cosplayers:
Picture 1
Picture 2

They were both great, I am hoping to see much more at Fanime 2011 and Anime Expo 2011.

My Alicia figure turned out to be a lot better than I expected! IE Better than the prototype!
collection2011_01_29.jpg

collection2011_01_30.jpg

Source:
http://radiantdreamer.net/2011/01/12/the-big-move-current-collection-2011-january/

gokieks

radiantdreamer said:
My Alicia figure turned out to be a lot better than I expected

I really had the opposite reaction - maybe it's just seeing it being styled after the anime instead of the game in person rather than as an image, but I was kind of disappointed.

Giolon

gokieks said:
I really had the opposite reaction - maybe it's just seeing it being styled after the anime instead of the game in person rather than as an image, but I was kind of disappointed.

Ditto. It's very simplistic and bland, but I picked it up anyways. She's now on my desk at work next to the superb Alter Selvaria (my ebCraft Selvaria is at home). However, RadiantDreamer, your photos are superb!

For those looking to pick Alicia up, AmiAmi still has some in stock.

@HCoregamer: Wow those are both awesome VC cosplayers!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
@HCoregamer: Wow those are both awesome VC cosplayers!

The Alicia one was especially good, it made me sad that she got into this cosplay much later in the day and wore another cosplay the whole morning and afternoon of Anime LA. The harsh hotel lighting makes it really hard to do great shots, it would have been impossible to take pictures had I not had a Canon 50mm f1.2L lens.

So far I got an Alicia, Isara, Wavy, Welkin, Selvaria, and Jaeger.

No Maximillian, Rosie, Gregor, Largo, and Zaka cosplayers yet, maybe one day.

tiff

Banned
Giolon said:
Ditto. It's very simplistic and bland, but I picked it up anyways. She's now on my desk at work next to the superb Alter Selvaria (my ebCraft Selvaria is at home). However, RadiantDreamer, your photos are superb!

For those looking to pick Alicia up, AmiAmi still has some in stock.
Thanks for the link! Just ordered one : )

tiff

Banned
Quixzlizx said:
It's been up on Amazon for months, unless there's a second VC artbook and I'm mixing up the two.
I'm pretty sure I just heard about it a few days ago. It's not even released yet.

Related topic: ugh why does all this cool VC stuff keep coming out, I'm supposed to be saving money now!

CO_Andy

chris-013 said:
Great game, I'm just at the beginning of the chapter 3 !
Is the story better than the anime ?
Uh, it's the same story. Some of the characters have slightly different personalities though, like Alicia and Faldio.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Wow, your review is better than my review of the Selvaria figure.

Nah, your review is good too. You talk more about Selveria herself, which I didn't detail very much of.

Hcoregamer00 said:

I totally forgot about this! I guess I should preorder, even though I already have the Japanese version. Oh yeah, looks like there are other artbooks getting localized too, including Tony Aka, and Atelier Rorona, and Monster Hunter!

Netto-kun

adversesolutions said:
Is there a VC3 thread anywhere?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still on VC2 lol but just wanted to peek at people's impressions.
I'll get my copy of VC3 next week (hopefully). But I am still stucked on chapter 17 in VC1 and April month in VC2, so I should at least try to finish VC1 before I try out VC3. :p

syoaran

radiantdreamer said:
Thanks guys!

I do agree that she's a bit on the simplistic side, especially compared to the awesome detail of the Selvaria figure.

But I was surprised that she looked better than the prototype. The lines are cleaner, and there's a tad bit more detail, so overall, I appreciate it for what it's worth.

Oh yeah, and if I had forgotten, my Selvaria figure and review:
http://radiantdreamer.net/2010/11/24/temptations-of-a-witch/

05.jpg

Your website is awesome - one day ill have to bug you on how you made the top banner ^^

I'm glad so many people enjoyed this game. I was part of the team back on the PS3 version, and it, frankly was an awesome experience. Glad after all this time it's still getting its due.

So guys, while I'm a small cog in the chain in these games - I thank you all for your support. This title more than any other helped me find work in other fields, so it was in small part to you guys. /cheers

Peff

Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Sega "Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive"
Estimated arrival date: July 16 2011 - July 21 2011

Fuck. Is it still coming next week in the US?

ezekial45

Banned
mjemirzian said:
There are lots of impressions on gamefaqs.
I've ordered it from ncsx but it hasn't arrived yet.

Yeah, i've read a few. I was hoping for some here too. The fact that a number of them said that it's WAY better than VC2 is very encouraging.

I also like that characters in game are more unique gameplay wise. While you can change them into any class, they have bonuses for particular ones. Which is great.

Top Bottom