• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Giolon

My artbook finally showed up today. It's great and holds up well against the Japanese version. The only difference I've noticed is that there is no slip cover like the Japanese version, where the slip cover had the artwork you see here on the outside, and then the actual book cover was the blueprint look (if I remember correctly) that you now find on the inside of the US cover. I'll have to double check when I get home.

In short though, if you like VC, you'll love this art book. It's one of the best out there. I'll try to post some direct comparisons between the two editions later tonight.

Makoto

I gotta give tons praise for the art book. This is pretty much my first art book but if art books from Udon or in general are anything like this one then my first impressions are beyond positive. I have to agree with the assertion I read on CAG that this is more of an encyclopedia than an art book. It's so detailed and reading about it's origins through the developer interviews at the end are interesting.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I must admit some surprise at how it's bound compared to the Japanese version w/ the jacket sleeve.

Can't wait to have some time to dig into it, though. I've wanted to read what the hell the text says in the Japanese version for so long :x Finally its in English :D

Lazlo

Also got my artbook recently and I'm really looking forward to reading through it. SO much detail went into everything, even something small like the licence plates on the tanks!

I'd really like to order the Design Archive, but Amazon currently has the item under review. I hope it goes back in stock soon. : (

Anyway, I've made it to chapter 14 now. The combat is so darn addicting, though I wish there were more side missions and unique skirmish maps to compliment the main scenario because I feel like I'm already closing in on the ending. I'll have to check out the DLC for sure.

mkenyon

Banned
Are there any good guides to min/maxing, and what you get from different upgrade paths? I hate it when story based games require you to make blind choices, especially in a game this long.

Finally got my artbook (I was out of town when it arrived). Okay packaging, but it still arrived in perfect condition (Yay!). Gorgeous book, and so heavy and thick. Great purchase. I also got Amazon to refund me the difference between what I paid and what I should have paid if they didn't cancel it on me.

I also see that Valkyria Chronicles 2 book is now up, listed for Janaury. Is this ever really going to happen? Maybe next August?

Zafir

Well, looking at how much text is in the VC Design Works. It's no wonder it got delayed so much. It's more like an encyclopedia than an artbook, which is awesome.

Lain

SerArthurDayne said:
I also see that Valkyria Chronicles 2 book is now up, listed for Janaury. Is this ever really going to happen? Maybe next August?
I hope not, and considering they have put out that GUST artbook and are also going to release the Soejima artbook, I'm guessing (hoping really) they solved their problem and will stick to the announced release dates.

mkenyon said:
Are there any good guides to min/maxing, and what you get from different upgrade paths? I hate it when story based games require you to make blind choices, especially in a game this long.
Doesn't really matter, you'll max everything out eventually.

Makoto

Looking at the related stories, I did not know there was a Valkyria Chronicles 3 anime. I'm assuming they just skipped over 2 (since Google isn't bringing up results of such a thing)?

Rarutos

vidal said:
Looking at the related stories, I did not know there was a Valkyria Chronicles 3 anime. I'm assuming they just skipped over 2 (since Google isn't bringing up results of such a thing)?
Indeed, they never made a II anime. Shame too, I think it would have fit really well as one!

Giolon

vidal said:
It's just a 2 episode OVA.

Regarding the news, I bet it's about VITA.

Makoto

Rarutos said:
Indeed, they never made a II anime. Shame too, I think it would have fit really well as one!
Yeah, I don't have a PSP so I would have liked to see what the story was about in its full animation.

Giolon said:
Faaaaack and I was really eager to see 3's story in anime form too.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Giolon said:

I REALLY hope its VITA/PS3. PS3 VC2+3 HD Collection. I would pay $60 for that. Seriously.

VC2 would need some mission rebalancing, though. The grind is a chore in the later months, and obviously meant for portable play.

Hell, I'd buy a standalone VC3 HD version for PS3 :x Just release it! Argh!

Also, I never knew about the anime.

Giolon said:

Does it spoil VC3? I'm tempted to watch it, I'm so starved for content :S

Suzuki Yu

i think the announcement is only related to VCIII
and i am afraid that it could be just a DLC content or something...

i don't consider something like VCIII re-mastered for PS3/Vita as a "small Announcement"
i hope i am wrong

daoster

VC3 to get a US release........to be announced at a Japanese show...is that a small enough announcement for you?

BELIEVEEEEEEEEEEEE

deim0s

@anihawk
Play it on the PSP. God I don't want to hear Avan's laugh again on the PS3.

@daoster
I hope so too. SEGA PURUEEEEEEEEESE!!!!!!!!!!

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
For people that can read and understand Chinese, and wanted to import VC3.

Someone released a Chinese translation patch for PSP. I did not try it myself since I don't feel like playing another turn based strategy game, but it is from a reliable translation group.

Google or baidu it yourself.

Makoto

A question I've forgotten to ask: Were the mouths/flaps rerendered for the English dub? I recall watching the English VA and the Japanese VA for the "Farewells" cutscene on YouTube and remembering some subtle differences in the mouths.

kiunchbb said:
For people that can read and understand Chinese, and wanted to import VC3.

Someone released a Chinese translation patch for PSP. I did not try it myself since I don't feel like playing another turn based strategy game, but it is from a reliable translation group.

Google or baidu it yourself.

If a Chinese translation patch is out already, then it shouldn't be difficult for an English patch, right?

Dunan

radiantdreamer said:
If a Chinese translation patch is out already, then it shouldn't be difficult for an English patch, right?

It might actually be harder because English looks better with variable-width characters, and at the very least has to have characters that are taller than they are wide. With square characters, a huge amount of information is lost because there just aren't enough bytes to work with. A 3-kanji word might need 8 letters in English, but would probably still be 3 kanji in Chinese.

so2ships2.jpg

VC3 has many variable-width Roman characters in it, but it's entirely possible that it might be difficult to tell the game to stop using square kanji that are all the same width and start using something else. Chinese wouldn't have this problem and could be pasted in just like Japanese text.

radiantdreamer said:
I have a friend you knows Chinese and really liked VC1. Maybe I'll play it with him looking over my shoulder as a middle man!

Like most achievements/trophies, the collectable awards in any VC game have little to do with skill and strategy and much to do with grinding, save/load spamming, and collecting.

mjemirzian said:
Like most achievements/trophies, the collectable awards in any VC game have little to do with skill and strategy and much to do with grinding, save/load spamming, and collecting.

Specially in VC2, the amount of hours you need to play to get all the medals is insane. You need some skill to get some medals but in general VC games are easy, you don't need to be a genius to get any medal, only time.

Cathcart

I've had this game since it came out and it's always been number one on my games to play list but somehow kept getting bumped. But I'm installing it right now and I've got nothing to do tomorrow so I'm pretty psyched about finally trying it out.

Is there a consensus on which language to play it with? How's the English voice acting?

Top Bottom