• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Hhby1l0.jpg

3rd.

I'll jump aboard!

Fou-Lu

As someone who loves old school SRPGs (especially FF tactics and Shining Force) but hasn't played anything newer than Disgaea I want this right?

From a page or two back:

Wonder what we're looking at here exactly... Sales numbers that would have justified an HD sequel rather than portable back in the day? I can only hope so.

There's a lot more that went into this decision, though. Even setting aside possible lack of justification for a second console release, making VC2 and 3 for the PSP made sense in Japan. The PSP had, and still has, comically higher penetration than the PS3 did and does. A PSP Valkyria was always going to reach more consumers in Japan than a PS3 game ever would. The fact that a PSP game requires a lower budget anyway is just icing on the cake.

This same decision, however, made it a terrible fit for the American market which simply doesn't care about handhelds as much. It's a problem the industry has been wrestling with for over half a decade now.

Grief.exe

Time for me to head off to bed, see you guys on the other side of release!

This has been a long time coming. I'm glad that it is both a success for Sega, going off the potential sales numbers, and for consumers, all accounts seem to point to a very solid port.

Vanquish
Bayonetta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue
Otogi
Resonance of Fate

Anything can happen.

Meanwhile, for sales hype: VC is still 4th... but it overtook Binding of Issac Rebirth. The only reason it's still in 4th is because Five Nights at Freddy's swooped in today to take the #2 spot.

So it reiterate: VC is currently holding its own against Call of Duty, tomorrow's Assassin's Creed release, and the sequel to the most memetically famous comedy-horror game in recent memory. It has beaten every other comer, including the best-selling version of Football Manager ever, a hugely anticipated update to a beloved indie darling roguelike, and a goddamn Civilization game.

Not too bad for a six-year-old strategy title with the occasional dose of desu.

And yes, I can reaffirm that it's revenue-based. Just looking at these charts, I have some idea of how it must be selling. Sega is going to be, at the very least, Satisfied with these results. I look forward to what the future holds.

TaroYamada

People who have legit links will post soon, I'm sure. But it bears repeating that internet petitions have been responsible for great things in the past. For instance, Dark Souls PC wouldn't have happened otherwise.

edit: While a Sega rep hasn't explicitly said the petition was responsible for the port, GAF does have some people with inside information. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136192891&postcount=1696

Due to my original source being slightly misinformed; the campaign has played a smaller role as regards Valkyria Chronicles' port than originally believed. I've since verified with multiple sources from within SEGA. I may write up a more complete post within the petition thread... but I need to see what I can and cannot say.

I hope you're right, I just find it hard to believe because there has been a lot of petitions specifically for Sega games and usually nothing comes out of it. It would be amazing if they started listening to their fans now.

Anyway, I'm excited to play Valkyria again. I never got the DLC on the PS3.

Actually the VF5 FS port petition played a role in that game coming to consoles

Videoneon

Meanwhile, for sales hype: VC is still 4th... but it overtook Binding of Issac Rebirth. The only reason it's still in 4th is because Five Nights at Freddy's swooped in today to take the #2 spot.

So it reiterate: VC is currently holding its own against Call of Duty, tomorrow's Assassin's Creed release, and the sequel to the most memetically famous comedy-horror game in recent memory. It has beaten every other comer, including the best-selling version of Football Manager ever, a hugely anticipated update to a beloved indie darling roguelike, and a goddamn Civilization game.

Not too bad for a six-year-old strategy title with the occasional dose of desu.

And yes, I can reaffirm that it's revenue-based. Just looking at these charts, I have some idea of how it must be selling. Sega is going to be, at the very least, Satisfied with these results. I look forward to what the future holds.

Indeed. =) Edited the third line because....Because.

I am pleasantly surprised at how strong this game's performance seems to be. It's contending respectably with titles that I otherwise wouldn't have guessed. Everyone really is stepping it up. Since the word of mouth was so positive, I knew that there were a handful of people who had always been on the fence and would bite with some pushing, but this is remarkable.

Shiokazu

7j7YJVN.jpg

ok im retiring for tonight, but if anyone else wants to come in, just tell me and i'll add you as soon as i get up

dont tell anyone. im skipping college classes tomorrow because of this game.

Videoneon

Due to my original source being slightly misinformed; the campaign has played a smaller role as regards Valkyria Chronicles' port than originally believed. I've since verified with multiple sources from within SEGA. I may write up a more complete post within the petition thread... but I need to see what I can and cannot say.

Actually the VF5 FS port petition played a role in that game coming to consoles

That first part of your post is a bit shocking, from my point of view. But I understand your position and need to wait.

Hastati

Maaaaan, I was so looking forward to this, and then realized I was region-locked-out....is this thing coming to Steam Japan!? I want to play it so bad ;__;

7j7YJVN.jpg

ok im retiring for tonight, but if anyone else wants to come in, just tell me and i'll add you as soon as i get up

dont tell anyone. im skipping college classes tomorrow because of this game.

Hehe, given my profile picture, I knew exactly where I will end up. You have pleased me greatly dear Shiokazu.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So who is this Selvaria character and why does she have a shit ton of fanart and take a huge amount of box art real estate?

the evil lady with giant lasers from all the trailers

It definitely won't stay this high up on the charts after a week, but, if it sits in the bottom half for that amount of time, then wow.

44 minutes til the 11th. The wait is too far away.

I already have this game on ps3, and have it preloaded on Steam. And I listened to the soundtrack all day. Am I doing it right?

It definitely won't stay this high up on the charts after a week, but, if it sits in the bottom half for that amount of time, then wow.

Let me put it this way: if it can remain in the top 10 all week, then it is guaranteed to blow its PS3 debut period out of the water, both in terms of copies sold & revenue generated. It sold 33k in North America back in 2008 when it debuted; I already feel confident in saying it's outdone that in volume, and is probably already on its way to outdoing the PS3 release window period in volume.

Top Bottom