• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Uthred

Slightly tangential question, to downsample it do you just crank up the in-game resolution and let your GPU DS it to your monitor size or do you need to have Gedosato running for that to work?

yuraya

It's out now. Restart Steam if it's still encrypted.

Its unpacking!!!

startrekguy.gif

Durante

Slightly tangential question, to downsample it do you just crank up the in-game resolution and let your GPU DS it to your monitor size or do you need to have Gedosato running for that to work?
You have three options now:
  1. GeDoSaTo
  2. Nvidia DSR (if you use an Nvidia GPU)
  3. Driver-level downsampling
Of these, the first has the most options for customization and possibilities, but also more potential for something to go wrong. DSR has some options, and is very straightforward to use. Finally, driver-level downsampling is comparatively low quality, complex to set up and limited by hardware. You should really only use it if you are on AMD and can't use GeDoSaTo.

TaroYamada

Got word on sales, I can say this: sales are positive, sega's very happy with unit sales and community/fan/critic reaction.

A certain somebody's article got a mention ;)

gngf123

"Steam has finished downloading Valkyria Chronicles"

Brilliant. If only I didn't have to see the doctor in an hour. Might open it now just to see how it runs.

Knurek

People who want to listen to game's music without having to run it (or for portable playback):

The music is in this file

stream\vlbgm.afs

Use hcs' lafs on this file, it should split up a bunch of ADX files, which are playable with VGMStream plugin (Winamp version/standalone wavewriter, or Foobar version)

If you need the music data from the movies for some reason, SFD files in the movie folder are plain MPEG2 streams with ADX for sound - just demux them with any movie splitter tool and once again, play with VGMStream.

Enjoy Hitoshi Sakimoto's goodness!

It really is a great looking game.

Very impressed with the port based on early going.

Those tanks and the weak points though. Forgot about that and can't help but shake my head.

Dr.Acula

Banned
You have three options now:
  1. GeDoSaTo
  2. Nvidia DSR (if you use an Nvidia GPU)
  3. Driver-level downsampling
Of these, the first has the most options for customization and possibilities, but also more potential for something to go wrong. DSR has some options, and is very straightforward to use. Finally, driver-level downsampling is comparatively low quality, complex to set up and limited by hardware. You should really only use it if you are on AMD and can't use GeDoSaTo.

So why is GeDoSaTo better than just regular downsampling?

Downscaling from 4K, the aliasing is still bad. Why doesn't it look clean like yours Durante?

Edit: Lol I'm an idiot, the cutscenes are prerendered, actually gameplay is sharp as when downsampled.

aember

Steam popped up that it finished downloading AKA unlocked the game right as I was pouring some cold coke into a glass.

The most beautiful "oh my god no way!" moment in my life.

Romir

At 5120x3200 DSR I'm seeing 2.4gb VRAM usage and 66% gpu usage on a 970 @ 1564mhz.

It looks great with no aliasing. On the PS3 version I found the jaggies to be very distracting.

Durante

Downscaling from 4K, the aliasing is still bad. Why doesn't it look clean like yours Durante?
No idea? Most screenshots I posted in the OP are downsampled from 4k with GeDoSaTo using a bicubic filter. (a few are slightly above 4k, 4480xsomething)

I don't know why but the game freezes for a while when I take a screenshot with Fraps..
I don't know either. Use GeDoSaTo?

So why is GeDoSaTo better than just regular downsampling?
Lots of reasons, let me quote the Readme:
Code:
Advantages:
- Essentially no resolution limits (beyond those of the GPU)
- Downsampling from more than 4x the resolution is useful (multi-stage downsampling)
- Selection of downsampling methods, including bicubic and lanczos (not just linear sampling)
- Downsampling in linear color space
- Support downsampling to high-frequency (e.g. 120 Hz or 144 Hz) target modes
- Not limited by display hardware
- Downsampling in borderless windowed fullscreen mode

jb1234

At the first mission, I had like ten seconds where the game ran slow as molasses. After that, it ran perfectly. Not sure what that was about. It never had to unpack for me either, which was great so I could jump right in.

God, I forgot how great Sakimoto's music is. One of his best works.

peakish

Game seems fun and looks lovely. I'm having performance problems on the title screen for whatever reason, downsampling from 3200x1800 on a GTX660. The in-game performance seems flawless so that's throwing me off a bit. Anyone else seeing this? Specifically, GeDoSaTo reports the FPS going down from 60 to ~50 there (for whatever reason it feels a bit more sluggish than that, too).

Durante

Edit: Lol I'm an idiot, the cutscenes are prerendered, actually gameplay is sharp as when downsampled.
Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, especially around the beginning of the game there are sadly a lot of pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes.

Momentary

Banned

Yeah, that was fooling me too. I thought the game was locked at 30 and that something was terribly wrong with the aliasing or it didn't lock on to the resolution I set it at.

Knurek

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, especially around the beginning of the game there are sadly a lot of pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes.

15 GB of them, sheesh...
I'm getting crashes on exit in gameoverlayrenderer.dll, anyone else getting them?
Game works with x360ce, very happy that I can use my DualShock 2 with the game...

Anyone else getting annoying flickering in the bottom of the screen? I'm getting flashes of my taskbar contents, rather annoying. :\

Romir

Game seems fun and looks lovely. I'm having performance problems on the title screen for whatever reason, downsampling from 3200x1800 on a GTX660. The in-game performance seems flawless so that's throwing me off a bit. Anyone else seeing this? Specifically, GeDoSaTo reports the FPS going down from 60 to ~50 there (for whatever reason it feels a bit more sluggish than that, too).

That happens to me with DSR too. It stutters and drops to 30 fps (VSYNC).

Uthred

I might be missing something but using the games configuration the highest I can set the resolution is 1920x1200?

Top Bottom