• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Durante's article and OP have me interested. How challenging would you guys say the game is overall?
Durante weighted in on this as well:
I noticed a few things re-playing the game on PC:
  • It's really not that easy, even if you know exactly what you are doing rushing in stupidly can still kill you.
  • It has some surprising interactivity: an anti-tank shot missed my character and hit a nearby tree, and that actually blew off the tree at the trunk and removed it from the battle. I didn't remember the game having that feature. Eat your heart out Crysis!

Beyond that, I can tell you in... about 13 hours.

Wookieomg

iwc9ZhL.jpg

yeah... i think we're going to get a 3rd tank.

I would love to be a part of this 3rd tank. Got my copy pre-loaded and ready to go! Didn't get to play it when it came out originally so I am very excited to check it out now! :D

Dryk

I'm glad to see this is a good port and is doing well. More SEGA please. I'd be on the train but I've still got a lot of Defense Grid 2 and Hyrule Warriors to finish.

Durante's article had him running the game on an Intel HD4000 at ~45 FPS at 720P. The GPU is hardly ideal but it'll probably work and be playable -- this game might run on an actual toaster.
Well it was originally developed for a toaster so that makes sense

Paltros

I never finished it on PS3, but I still double dipped and already have it on pre-load. It's going to be a long day at work tomorrow.

Jawmuncher

Noticed out of the blue VC was downloading something on steam.
Thought maybe it had become playable....nope still preload.
Why must it toy with me.

JJD

Did anyone from Sega said anything about the possibility of a new Valkyrie Chronicles game?

I can't believe they would just drop this on Steam for no reason at all after all these years.

Hopefully it sells better than on the PS3 and we get a new game.

masterkajo

Oh yes, pre-loaded and hyped. Has been a long time since I played it last but it feels good to be coming back to it - kind of return home after a long trip.

epmode

Did anyone from Sega said anything about the possibility of a new Valkyrie Chronicles game?

I can't believe they would just drop this on Steam for no reason at all after all these years.

There was a reason. A few reasons:

Sega has found a lot of success with PC publishing over the last few years.

Sega paid attention to the PC port petition that started on GAF. The petition mentions Valkyria specifically.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I remember the game being quite hard on PS3

JJD

There was a reason. A few reasons:

Sega has found a lot of success with PC publishing over the last few years.

Sega paid attention to the PC port petition that started on GAF. The petition mentions Valkyria specifically.

I find the second reason very hard to believe.

Shinjica

I noticed a few things re-playing the game on PC:
  • It's really not that easy, even if you know exactly what you are doing rushing in stupidly can still kill you.
  • It has some surprising interactivity: an anti-tank shot missed my character and hit a nearby tree, and that actually blew off the tree at the trunk and removed it from the battle. I didn't remember the game having that feature. Eat your heart out Crysis!

Well, considering that you can rush most of the mission if you how to do that

Ponn

Banned
Hey, i have it pre-loaded but i'm not on a tank. Oh wait i know, i'm the drunk one so i'm driving - Watch out imps! *beepbeep*

epmode

I find the second reason very hard to believe.

People who have legit links will post soon, I'm sure. But it bears repeating that internet petitions have been responsible for great things in the past. For instance, Dark Souls PC wouldn't have happened otherwise.

edit: While a Sega rep hasn't explicitly said the petition was responsible for the port, GAF does have some people with inside information. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136192891&postcount=1696

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I remember the game being quite hard on PS3

It can be difficult at first, but once you figure out the system it's pretty easy to exploit. Especially when you get the right characters leveled up. And if you want the best mission ranks, you kinda need to do that anyway in many cases.

I wondered how I somehow missed this coming to Steam, considering it is by far my favorite PS3 game and probably my favorite SRPG ever.

Blocked in Japan.

SEGA PLS

Ziffles

I never owned a PS3, I don't watch anime much, and I haven't played a JRPG since FF7.

That said, I want to be a part of that table-breaking train.

JJD

People who have legit links will post soon, I'm sure. But it bears repeating that internet petitions have been responsible for great things in the past. For instance, Dark Souls PC wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I hope you're right, I just find it hard to believe because there has been a lot of petitions specifically for Sega games and usually nothing comes out of it. It would be amazing if they started listening to their fans now.

Anyway, I'm excited to play Valkyria again. I never got the DLC on the PS3.

Add me to the hype train as well. I always thought this would make a much better PC game than a console game, and I'm thrilled I finally get to play this on God's Platform.

Anyway, when is the game going up?

November 11 at 10 AM PST. That should be added to the OP.

lazyninjalt

Neo Member
This wonderful game is my first triple dip. I found my OG copy at my dad's while cleaning out my old room this year and found another copy at my mom's when I moved out two years ago. I really like this game, maybe this time I will actually beat it.
The last boss is a bitch and a half.

I hope this works in WINE but if it doesn't this is something I'd be willing to boot into Windows for. I hope I can find time this weekend.

epmode

I hope you're right, I just find it hard to believe because there has been a lot of petitions specifically for Sega games and usually nothing comes out of it. It would be amazing if they started listening to their fans now.

I edited my post with a link that clarifies things a bit.

Videoneon

Valkyria Chronicles HYPE

aw yissssssssss

I love this game. I love the battle system, the music, the weird tone duality (both dramatic and optimistic), the look.

Durante's article and OP have me interested. How challenging would you guys say the game is overall?

While it's difficult to screw up the early missions, the game can feel alienating and obtuse when you're just a few missions in if you don't start strategizing more and just generally soak up the system. Don't be afraid to replay the practice missions. While leveling up classes is partially the key to the godlike strategy it's a tool that has to be used in conjunction with other tools and in a certain way. That being said leveling up your troops and buying things at the armory or whatever is something you want to keep in mind, I would say, for first time players especially when the Elite enemies show up.

Also, be prepared for surprises and unorthodox missions. They are fun and keep the game progression fresh, but they may sometimes put people in uncomfortable situations. Don't be afraid!

lazyninjalt

Neo Member
Valkyria Chronicles HYPE

aw yissssssssss

I love this game. I love the battle system, the music, the weird tone duality (both dramatic and optimistic), the look.

While it's difficult to screw up the early missions, the game can feel alienating and obtuse when you're just a few missions in if you don't start strategizing more and just generally soak up the system. Don't be afraid to replay the practice missions. While leveling up classes is partially the key to the godlike strategy it's a tool that has to be used in conjunction with other tools and in a certain way. That being said leveling up your troops and buying things at the armory or whatever is something you want to keep in mind, I would say, for first time players especially when the Elite enemies show up.

Also, be prepared for surprises and unorthodox missions. They are fun and keep the game progression fresh, but they may sometimes put people in uncomfortable situations. Don't be afraid!

To go along with this
visit the cemetery after every mission with about 5K so you can afford new command orders.
If you forget it takes long time before the one you missed is offered again.

Top Bottom