• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Durante

Here's a decent downsampling comparison:

Native 1080p:
ss_254139d7516b678177ca4a162066617d05545d77.jpg

4k downsampled:
screenshot_2014-11-08hwsym.jpg

Lord Phol

One of the best games ever made, great story, gameplay, visuals, music and cast of characters. Can't wait to replay it! (something I very rarely do with games) :D

Durante

The music is fantastic so far. Man this game can be brutal. took me 4 times to beat the first tank mission. it seems moving people into position to attack while the enemy moves is pretty damn crucial. i also wish there were mission checkpoints. restarting the whole mission over is a bit much. hopefully there's no bullshit missions where you have to be perfect.
You can save during battles.

I only realized this on PS3 after chapter 10 or so.

jrcbandit

Looks great downsampled from 5k resolution! Is the game limited to 60 Hz? When I wasn't downsampling, it didn't let me use 96 Hz which I have my monitor overclocked to.

Stupid Origin still hasn't unlocked AC: Unity ;p.

The music is fantastic so far. Man this game can be brutal. took me 4 times to beat the first tank mission. it seems moving people into position to attack while the enemy moves is pretty damn crucial. i also wish there were mission checkpoints. restarting the whole mission over is a bit much. hopefully there's no bullshit missions where you have to be perfect.

There is ONE mission later on that might... frustrate you, although a lot of the missions after the intro missions are actually less frustrating on that front, because you have an actual squad to work with, rather than just Alicia, Welks, Isara and a few random Bruhl guard shmoes and can actually provide your armor some cover.

Woo-Fu

Banned
i also wish there were mission checkpoints. restarting the whole mission over is a bit much. hopefully there's no bullshit missions where you have to be perfect.

You're playing on PC, save whenever you want. It's the infinite power of the no-wall garden.

Peff

what? this is a game changer news. did i miss this in a tutorial somehow?

Nope, they just assumed you'd pause and see it :p In fact, it's a little broken now that it doesn't take 40/50 seconds to save and another bunch to reload, but hey, it's up to personal preference how much to use it!

tauke

valkyria_2014_11_11_16csl0.png

valkyria_2014_11_11_1g2s0l.png

Downsampled from 4K and the average GPU usage for default clock speed on GTX 780 is around 50% while VRAM usage hovers around 1.3GB.

Only problem is I can't get borderless fullscreen to work.

TaroYamada

You finish chapter 9 without interim save?
a34qsag.gif

I beat the entire game with no saves, only had to retry 2 times throughout the entire game IIRC. Didn't realize I could save. In the later parts of the game though I spent hours analyzing my moves so I wouldn't die. I would plan turns in advance on graph paper.

No, I'm not kidding.

Durante

I beat the entire game with no saves, only had to retry 2 times throughout the entire game IIRC. Didn't realize I could save. In the later parts of the game though I spent hours analyzing my moves so I wouldn't die. I would plan turns in advance on graph paper.

No, I'm not kidding.
The real man's way to play the game!

Fixed my sound issues, had to set it back to 5.1 (had to switch it to stereo for headphone use in ArmA) then to fix the quality of I had to go into my driver and force a 48000Hz sample rate.

TaroYamada

The real man's way to play the game!

My friend played through after me and I was over at his place, he went and saved in the middle of a match and I just sighed thinking about how long it took me to beat missions via over-analysis. I should check my PS3 save to see how long it took me vs. the average (which is 30-40 hours IIRC).

Shengar

No, I'm not kidding.

Does one of those retries came from chapter 9?
I haven't used any interim saves actually, up to that point when shit hits the fan.

Durante

Fixed my sound issues, had to set it back to 5.1 (had to switch it to stereo for headphone use in ArmA) then to fix the quality of I had to go into my driver and force a 48000Hz sample rate.
Makes sense I didn't notice anything then, I have it at 48k.

TaroYamada

Does one of those retries came from chapter 9?
I haven't used any interim saves actually, up to that point when shit hits the fan.

I don't remember when they came I just know I only failed 2-3 times throughout the entire game. I played around launch time so it's been a few years.

I'm almost positive I may not be able to play the game on my laptop, but I'm downloading the files regardless.
If if turns out I can't play, at least I'll back them up for when I have another solution.
If I can play fine though...oh man it's gonna be great.

That reminds me, don't forget that you can scroll down the list of weapon upgrades, first time I played through I didn't realize the list went down 4 more tiers of new weaponry.

I have to get ready for morning classes but I'm unpacking the game right now before I go.

How does pre-loading work anyway? Are you downloading an encrypted version of the game?

TaroYamada

That reminds me, don't forget that you can scroll down the list of weapon upgrades, first time I played through I didn't realize the list went down 4 more tiers of new weaponry.

I'm quickly realizing why we have overbearing tutorials via this thread..... I am to blame as well.

baterism

Run swimmingly on laptop i5, geforce 630m, 8gb ram. 1368x768, Vsync off.

Almost constant 60fps, 45fps sometimes during explosion in cutscene.

Pretty interesting so far. Can't wait to play more.

Durante

The scalability of the port is really quite something.

Shengar

My i3 with HD Intel and 2GB laptop can also run it, but then it got hot like a toaster.
Still amazed that it can started at all. Is it the Canvas engine or just a good optimization?

Shiina

My game has tearing issues, what's the best way to go about fixing them? In game v-sync, driver v-sync, adaptive driver v-sync or something else?

tauke

I was wondering why there is no voice over sound. Turn out I need to revert back to Stereo from 5.1 channel.

Same problem with XCOM Enemy Unknown lol.

Also I think there is no way to run borderless fullscreen for now. The game keep crashing if I forced borderless fullscreen through GeDoSaTo.

Game wont run for me. Just crashes whenever I try to start it.

Edit: Gedosato was running lol.

Ensure that you disable borderless fullscreen in you global settings in GeDoSaTo. It keep crashing until I disable it.

My game has tearing issues, what's the best way to go about fixing them? In game v-sync, driver v-sync, adaptive driver v-sync or something else?

Force triple buffering and V-Sync from the driver control panel. It works for me.

Wow, my maxwell gtx 850m Laptop would be able to run this .

Already own the PS3 version. Hmm.

Marche90

Holy fuck! Game runs like a champ! constant 30 FPS (I was getting 60 in the book menu and during the explanations) during battles on my very lowly Celeron 2955U & Haswell HD graphics at 1280x720. I'm very, very impressed with the quality of the port.

The only issue I had so far is that I had to limit the framerate to 30, since the the game was running at half-speed with the unlocked framerate (According to fraps I was getting 35+ fps but the game was running at half-speed. Limiting the framerate fixed that)

I'm getting random crashes when proceeding through to and from book mode. Just closes instantly. Kind of annoying to lose a bunch of progress that way....

Durante

I'm getting random crashes when proceeding through to and from book mode. Just closes instantly. Kind of annoying to lose a bunch of progress that way....
Are you running at more than 4k resolution? If so, I think these are adress space limitations. Try 4k.

Top Bottom