• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

tauke

Are you running at more than 4k resolution? If so, I think these are adress space limitations. Try 4k.

Just curious Durante, it is possible to even play at higher than 4480x2520? Seems like anything higher than that just crash the game after trying to load the game haha.

Right now I'm putting on hold in playing the game until a borderless fullscreen option work. If not, I'll just play in window mode if no such option is available.

Fruitster

This is looking like a great PC port. Runs great, looks great and the game is as brilliant as it always was. Good guy Sega, they've done holy work in bringing this game to PC.

Durante

Just curious Durante, it is possible to even play at higher than 4480x2520? Seems like anything higher than that just crash the game after trying to load the game haha.
I got 5k to run, but with intermittent crashes. 4480x2520 is the highest which worked reliably.

Right now I'm putting on hold in playing the game until a borderless fullscreen option work. If not, I'll just play in window mode if no such option is available
Have you tried putting the game at windowed in the settings and using one of the existing borderless fullscreen tools to make the window fullscreen? That should work.

Lafazar

The music is fantastic so far. Man this game can be brutal. took me 4 times to beat the first tank mission. it seems moving people into position to attack while the enemy moves is pretty damn crucial. i also wish there were mission checkpoints. restarting the whole mission over is a bit much. hopefully there's no bullshit missions where you have to be perfect.

You know you can save in the middle of a mission from the map view, right?
Edit: Whoops, somehow I had an old version of the thread open. Sorry for the repetition.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I can't get DSR to work in this game. I select the resolution and click play but it never uses the resolution I choose. DSR works in all my other games.

You know what the most random thing I love is?

08877B176A9C3724485926FD7C9A4D8D40FBC314

The goddamn map resolution is higher, or the maps were high rez in the original to the point that 720 actually lost some detail. I love being able to read the maps clearly now. I hadn't picked up on the fact, for example, that the road to Welks' house is literally named after his dad.

I haven't had a game, let alone a port, bring a smile to my face like this in a long goddamn time. Based Sega, thank you for this.

Do we know which studio was responsible for the port?

Shiina

Force triple buffering and V-Sync from the driver control panel. It works for me.

Did that and it works great at 4K without tearing for me. Game is beautiful, much prettier than I remember it on PS3. Too bad I won't have time to play it until later tonight.

Arizato

The goddamn map resolution is higher, or the maps were high rez in the original to the point that 720 actually lost some detail. I love being able to read the maps clearly now. I hadn't picked up on the fact, for example, that the road to Welks' house is literally named after his dad.

I haven't had a game, let alone a port, bring a smile to my face like this in a long goddamn time. Based Sega, thank you for this.

Now I am not fully sure of this, so correct me if I am wrong. But aren't the maps just more or less a filtered overview of the regular battlefield that you see in 3rd person. I say the because the transition between the map and the character perspective are very seamless.

To me it just feels that when you stop using a charater the camera just moves to an overview point and throws a filter over the 3D world to create the illusion of a map.

Haven't played this in a year though, so I don't really know. Can't wait to get home from work to try this!

This port is SO. GOOD. :D

Didn't think I could downsample so much goodness when I got my GTX660, hahah. It's running flawlessly at almost 4k, 60FPS.

Loving the map details too, and just replaying the game is damn nice. I have my PS3 copy right there, but my 80GB PS3 is getting a bit old and long in the tooth, so I had been postponing my replay forever.

Based Sega. I can only dream of Vanquish and Bayonetta working like this some day ;_;

The map view is actually 3D rendered, that's why you see more detail.

That actually makes all the sense. Such a wonderful game man.

tauke

Have you tried putting the game at windowed in the settings and using one of the existing borderless fullscreen tools to make the window fullscreen? That should work.

Happy to say that Borderless Gaming actually works! Here's the link to the software: https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases

For those who need to run in borderless window, make sure to disable V-Sync and also run in Windowed mode in the settings.

Configure GeDoSaTo as usual but make sure to disable the borderless fullscreen in it.

CVoD6wG.png

Then run VC and when it is running, switch to Borderless Gaming and add Valkryia to the right side. It will automatically fit the window to your main monitor resolution!

2San

Holy fuck, I just started this game up and it has resolution and refresh rate options! It's kinda sad I'm getting exited by basic features, but hey Japanese devs have been lackluster with their ports.

The map view is actually 3D rendered, that's why you see more detail.

Even the text, though? Like the text is far, far sharper and more legible than it was on the PS3, that's why I comment. I knew about the map filter, but the text caught me off-guard.

Or is the text using the same font as the rest of the "fancy" script stuff? If it's all pulled from the same texture file in memory, that would explain it!

Either way it's fancy as hell and makes me grin.

Marow

I turned it on to try it out and the intro made me so glad. Can't believe I can finally play Valkyria Chronicles.

Do you recommend English or Japanese dub?

Durante

Are you guys GeDoSato-downsampling(or maybe using DSR?) And does 4k mess the UI up bad?
The UI is entirely resolution-independent.

I turned it on to try it out and the intro made me so glad. Can't believe I can finally play Valkyria Chronicles.

Do you recommend English or Japanese dub?
I recommend the Japanese one, though the English one isn't too bad.

TaroYamada

08877B176A9C3724485926FD7C9A4D8D40FBC314

They are called little stone software. Ex-devils details folk.

7j7YJVN.jpg

ok im retiring for tonight, but if anyone else wants to come in, just tell me and i'll add you as soon as i get up

dont tell anyone. im skipping college classes tomorrow because of this game.

If I'm not too late throw some Fujisaki on the train! Can't wait to play this after my huge history exam, unpacking as we speak.

jett

D-Member
Man lotsa cutscenes, too bad they are all FMV. I like their anime stylings, though. Time to 4K it up with GDST.

They are called little stone software. Ex-devils details folk.

Well I need to buy them a beer or something. They've done great work here.

So did they forget to release the DLC?

The DLC situation is curious; if you go to Properties->DLC in the Steam interface, you'll see that the DLC is registered to your account... it just hasn't been downloaded. And I see no entries for it in the store as of yet.

Once Sega America starts waking up, it's something to ask about.

And Europe gets out of work and school. It really is a strange time.

Technically it's a federal holiday in the States, too, but a lot of employers outside of the government don't give time off for it.

Free day in Poland, our version of Independence Day. :D

Yeah, I would imagine the commemoration of the end of World War I is just a little meaningful for Poles.
emot-v.gif
A fitting game for the day, to boot, in a lot of ways.

Echoplx

The DLC situation is curious; if you go to Properties->DLC in the Steam interface, you'll see that the DLC is registered to your account... it just hasn't been downloaded. And I see no entries for it in the store as of yet.

Once Sega America starts waking up, it's something to ask about.

It seems like they've just forgotten to add the depots to the store sub.

It only has the main content right now

https://steamdb.info/app/294860/depots/ (All the depots are here)
https://steamdb.info/sub/41920/depots/ (Only one is attached to the store sub)

I wonder why they even made separate subs for the DLC.

It does seem a little strange that it isn't just integrated into the client. Perhaps they thought about charging separately for the DLC then changed plans.

Either way, probably just need to ask Sega what's up once business hours start.

My i3 with HD Intel and 2GB laptop can also run it, but then it got hot like a toaster.
Still amazed that it can started at all. Is it the Canvas engine or just a good optimization?
Sweeeeeeeet. I think I'll dive in with my i5-4440 desktop that only has onboard. Anything merely on par with the PS3 version would be entirely sufficient. I just reeeeeeeally want to play the game again. Anything for my waifu Edy!
You finish chapter 9 without interim save?
I went the entire goddamn game not knowing you could do this. And, you know, I don't really mind. Even some miserable defeats were fine; The game is so damn good. I legitimately felt sad last year after playing The Last Of Us because it meant I couldn't justify Valkyria as my GOTG anymore.

Edit: Oh, it has Hard EX included? I forgot that was DLC. It took... much insane effort to beat all of those. Of course much of that is my fault since I refuse to use YouTube guides.

Top Bottom