• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Falk

that puzzling face
So here are some audio clips. The sampling rate issue seems to affect UI sounds, meaning stuff like when you select shit on the menus, or in the tutorial prompts in combat.

Here are three clips running the game at different sample rates. each one is the menu select sound followed by tutorial prompt

48kHz (This is the correct sample rate. Checked against PS3 version)
44.1kHz (This is slightly slowed down. Not so noticable on menu SFX, but very obvious on the ingame tutorial prompt since that stinger was made to blend in with the BGM and doesn't, here)
96kHz (Very different here, yet might not be noticable if you're not familiar with the original PS3 version's SFX)

* pre-disclaimer that I'm probably gonna take those clips off my dropbox folder at some point when this gets fixed or when we're sure there's no patch incoming or whatever.

you are already there been a while, see on the 1st tank?

also this is a updated version.

B7bZjgo.jpg

Permission to come aboard if they're still room. Been playing this for the last hour or so, very strong first impressions.

Can i join the hype-train too?!

I'll be at the station in a day or so as Steam for some reason is downloading at 50kb on my work gigabit connection :(

Can you all stop downloading your copies until i've got mine sorted? Thanks in advance!

Corgi

Banned
4k downsampled to 1440p. looks great. was a bit worried at the beginning until i realized that was just a prerender cutscene.

Anyone else find it hilarious that they didn't bother doing a new save screen and just pretty much ripped the ps3's? ;P

Alastor

Just started it and the one thing I don't like plot-wise is that the Empire soldiers are just killing unarmed civilians that are fleeing from them. Really? That's a great tactic for conquering a country.

Shengar

Just started it and the one thing I don't like plot-wise is that the Empire soldiers are just killing unarmed civilians that are fleeing from them. Really? That's a great tactic for conquering a country.

Do you want them to capture civilian and sent them to labor camp in Siberia instead?
It baffles me, but I guess the writer use the easy to portrait Imps as the evil empire

AkuMifune

Banned
Riding my mini hype_segway. Trying not to get carried away, it's going to be a long day at work.

Someone stream it, would love to see the PC version in action.

Just played the first tutorial mission and got a B rank.

Guess I won't be getting all of the achievements. =/
Oh well, putting this aside until I finish FF13 PC anyway. I need to free up some HDD space.

This is so bizarre. I set all my audio devices to 24bit 48000khz but the gun and UI sounds are still really low. Could it be it just doesn't play nice with my setup?

Nete

I've never played the game on PS3. I didn't even know how it really was besides "it's an sRPG", preordering it as soon as it went up solely by its genre and because I want Vanquish/Bayo (and Yakuza :( ) on PC.

I've only played the first mission for now, and all I can say is it looks fucking fantastic. The "live" action during each turn is a genius touch and it seems to be used properly. More tonight.

Port wise, I only miss windowed full screen as native option, time to check that Borderless Gaming program linked at #868 I guess. And not being able to use the mouse to move around the menus feels very weird.

Amir0x

Banned
I must not be good enough for the damn train. Wells I don't need no trains, I'm on a hype helicopter. This shit is AMAZING. Valkyria Chronicles PC is a dream come true that I never knew I wanted

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rank is determined entirely by beating a mission in as few turns as possible.

I don't know what I want to do. Normally I wouldn't care, but after chapter 10a special weapons are awarded for A ranks.

Conflicted...

The question is do you want to move at your own pace or do you want to scout rush every map?

Control Panel -> Sound -> right click your output device (the default one in most cases, which has a green checkmark) and select Properties -> Advanced tap -> Default Format dropdown, select 24bit/48000 Hz
Got it, thank you. It really sounds much better.

Dr Dogg

So I couldn't wait and dived home for lunch (and got back to work late) but my word does VC look spectacular just with a resolution bump. It was always a great looking game but now its really got its chance to shine. Oh yeah and a smoother framerate is nice too I guess :p

One thing that did crack me up in my 19 minute toy about was the Save and Load screens. I can't quite place it but they look awfully familiar...
I suppose enough has changed not to be issued with a lawsuit.

KiraFA37

Finished decrypting and just started the first mission. During the prologue explaining EW2 I'm reminded why I was attracted to this game. They took Belgium and some surrounding areas and stretched it all over Europe. Ostend, Terneuzen, St-Vith,.. all places in Belgium.

I have to ask, when unlocking a pre-loaded game, why does it take up the same space as the original game twice to unlock it before it's back to normal? On an already full or mostly full SSD, it can really suck.

epmode

Rank is determined entirely by beating a mission in as few turns as possible

Easily the worst aspect of the game. It has the unfortunate side effect of getting players to break the system by exploiting the higher scout ranks. I'd love to see some kind of rebalance mod.

Just played the first two missions. Im really liking it although I still need to get the hang of being shoot while trying to think what i do next.

I was really surprised that in one of the first cutscenes the
kid
was the first to be shot without mercy. Thats real war for you, damn.

So someone here said you could repeat missions, tried with the first one and couldnt find a way to repat it. Does it unlock further in the game?

wKnELx5.jpg
BORDERING THE 4TH
(you're still welcome to hop aboard.)

NOW IM OUT!

RgAEOYO.jpg

As a new player time to hop in one of this tanks, please!

Falk

that puzzling face
Are the gun shots supposed to sound pretty flat and quite?

Me too. lol

Music seems to be a little louder by default relative to VA/SFX if you take the original PS3 version as a base. That being said, forcing stereo/48000kHz for this game seems to fix some issues with audio.

Uploaded another 1080p60 vid. (I made the previous one unlisted since my OCD is bugging me about the audio glitches in that one)

Just played the first two missions. Im really liking it although I still need to get the hang of being shoot while trying to think what i do next.

So someone here said you could repeat missions, tried with the first one and couldnt find a way to repat it. Does it unlock further in the game?

You can only repeat Skirmish missions.

Gibbo

anyone having trouble launching the game? I tried launching the game from steam but nothing happens. There's a window which says 'Preparing to launch' for a split second, nothing happens after that though

Knurek

Worked for both Nazi and Soviet forces during WWII...

old

Just bought it. Already own it on PS3 and already beat it. But I'm hoping if steam sales are strong enough Sega might bring VC2 and 3 to steam as well.

Garteal

Keep playing for a bit. And save often :p
I had played around 30-40 minutes when I posted first. I managed my squad for the first time and saw a couple of episodes in there. And now, after exactly one hour of play, I still haven't crashed. This time I've done the first skirmish and a whole story operation alongside some episodes, etc and I've done some saving here and there.

Now to actually comment about the game; I'm really enjoying it so far. I've played the demo a few times on the PS3 and while the game itself was good, I just didn't bother looking more into it for some reason. Until now.

Levyne

Banned
96 and 192kHz are screwed over here as well. Actual audio clips so you know exactly what I'm talking about incoming.

edit@Above:

Control Panel -> Sound -> right click your output device (the default one in most cases, which has a green checkmark) and select Properties -> Advanced tap -> Default Format dropdown, select 24bit/48000 Hz

So am I going to want to set this back when not playing VC?

Music seems to be a little louder by default relative to VA/SFX if you take the original PS3 version as a base. That being said, forcing stereo/48000kHz for this game seems to fix some issues with audio.

I already set it to 48kHz. Will try switching from 5.1 to stereo now.

On the game: Damn, I knew I can't get warm with anime style in games.
I find it unintentinally funny as well. First the game feels so kitschy and innocent like a kid's cartoon and then suddenly *BOOM* dead people, explosions. lol

Ah, so there are story missions and side story and the only ones you can repeat are those. That explains it.

So is this like fire emblem where important characters can die and are not part of the ending?

Story important characters become unusable for the remainder of the current mission but are back the next mission, unless there are failure conditions tied to their survival. For others, IIRC yes they become permanently unselectable.

Falk

that puzzling face
So am I going to want to set this back when not playing VC?

Sound card driver default sample rate... ultimately doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Most applications will swap the sample rate to whatever it requires if the driver isn't already being used for something. (This is why it's called the default sample rate, and why the VC bug/oversight is kinda annoying because all the game needs to do is request 48kHz :| )

44.1kHz<->48kHz resamplings generally sound awful in most real-time conversion algorithms, so people tend to set drivers to 96kHz but the truth of the matter is, if the first program you start up already locks your driver to 44.1 or 48kHz in the first place, it doesn't matter what your default was.

Guys, I was able to configure the game in WINE. I have faith that Sega didn't fuck this one up. I can't wait to actually play this when I get home later.

Top Bottom