• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Gibbo

Argh. Cant seem to launch the game at all. Verified game cache, tried running as admim from the exe file as well. No luck

Levyne

Banned
Sound card driver default sample rate... ultimately doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Most applications will swap the sample rate to whatever it requires if the driver isn't already being used for something. (This is why it's called the default sample rate, and why the VC bug/oversight is kinda annoying because all the game needs to do is request 48kHz :| )

44.1kHz<->48kHz resamplings generally sound awful in most real-time conversion algorithms, so people tend to set drivers to 96kHz but the truth of the matter is, if the first program you start up already locks your driver to 44.1 or 48kHz in the first place, it doesn't matter what your default was.

Thanks, Falk :)

Sectus

Whoo, I can play the game!

But, um, this might have been mentioned earlier in thread, has anyone had sound volume issues in the game? It sounds fine during cutscenes (I'm guessing that's just one pre-mixed sound track), but in combat the audio balance is a bit off. Music, for instance, is a lot louder than it should be. Anyone experienced this and know a fix? I'm fairly certain it's off since I played the PS3 version some days ago.

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/app/294860/discussions/0/620696934084404491/#p1 - Looks like it's a widespread problem. Is this affecting everyone?

Yuterald

Played the first couple of missions again and I'm instantly reminded why this was and still is my favorite PS3 title. This is such a fucking classic.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fuck it. Choo choo bitches.

You did the right thing, bro!

(I forgot how much "Leon" says Bro, bro!)

I also forgot when you unlock skrimishes. Up to Chapter 3 and need to boost my Scouts for DOS S-RANKS.

KiraFA37

Sounds seems to be a little jiffy, guns sound way more quiet than in the PS3 version. I'm going to have the turn down the BGM and turn up the sound on my headset.

Thanks, I was wondering why Alicia was speaking with a pipsqueak voice before attacking.

jb1234

Still having frustrating and completely random FPS drops in battle. It slows down so much for a period of time (up to ten seconds so far) that it makes the game unplayable until it gets back to normal. It's a problem noted in the Steam forums as well. Going to try disabling V-sync.

Menome

Ah, so no difficulty option. Means I'll reach a point where I have to switch to Let's Play videos as I'm uniformly crap at strategy, but I'll enjoy the ride until then.

wKnELx5.jpg
BORDERING THE 4TH
(you're still welcome to hop aboard.)

NOW IM OUT!

RgAEOYO.jpg

Yay! I shall perform my duty as lookout on tank unit 3 with great honour!

Seanspeed

Banned
Man, just went through the entire command/training initial sequence, picked all my squad meticulously, upgraded my classes, researched weapons and tank stuff.

Finally go to get back to Book mode and it crashes on me.

Fuck me.

Are the gun shots supposed to sound pretty flat and quite?

Somewhat. The rifles never had super-"cracky" gunshot sounds to start with, and the machineguns were always very rat-a-tat-tat. If you're looking for BOOMING GUN NOISES, this isn't your game.

The only real sound issue I'm having is still vocalizations on the attack; it still sounds like sound position isn't being calculated properly, and most tellingly, some speech off-camera also sounds a little "echoey" and not exactly correct. I am set for 48k and Stereo, so I do think the software mixing on the sound is a little off still.

It's another thing that should be eminently patchable, though, and it's a very minor thing and only affects voice. 95% of the time, everything is cool. Still loving this port and playing this game the way it was always meant to be played.

Ah, so no difficulty option. Means I'll reach a point where I have to switch to Let's Play videos as I'm uniformly crap at strategy, but I'll enjoy the ride until then.

The basic difficulty for the story missions is generally not high, especially if you aren't chasing after an A rank for every single story mission. I wouldn't worry too much.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The game is unplayable for me. I have it at max resolution, and I have a GeForce GTX 760. Stutters every five seconds and lags like crazy.

Edit: Same problem on lowest graphical settings.

Zafir

The basic difficulty for the story missions is generally not high, especially if you aren't chasing after an A rank for every single story mission. I wouldn't worry too much.

I wouldn't even recommend people go for A ranks on missions. I went for them on the PS3 version and it meant I was sick of the game by the half way point. It's pretty much just a lot of reloading to get a perfect shot off on targets and stuff.

SykoTech

Such an awesome game. Easily one of the best from last gen. It's great that more people can play it, and others who already played it on PS3 can do so again.

Still holding out a little hope that this does well enough to revive the franchise. Just a little. :(

Corgi

Banned
huh just noticed you can move the cursor quicker using WASD in command mode.

Thats pretty neat because i felt the mouse controls kinda suck for that screen.

Burt

It's so gorgeous.

Yeah the game looks great, but those 720p cutscenes are murder. I was afraid I was doing something wrong until I got 'in-game' in-game and was kinda upset. Not being able to switch resolution and mouse/keyboard controls on the fly is a small bummer as well. Maybe you can, I just haven't found out how yet.

Ultimadrago

The game is unplayable for me. I have it at max resolution, and I have a GeForce GTX 760. Stutters every five seconds and lags like crazy.

Edit: Same problem on lowest graphical settings.

Do you have a weaker, secondary card as well? For my Optimus switch, I had to force my dedicated graphics card onto it in the NVIDIA settings before it played for real. Before, when I tried default, it went in slow-mo due to auto-targeting my Intel HD.

And downloading! :D Three hours to go, I should have bought it last week and preloaded I know I know but eh... :p I'm curious to see how much Durante Awesomeness my 7970 can handle, hoping for 3k @ 75fps!

Looks like the texture_replace folder in the game's files has all the original PS3 prompts there for some reason.

Wait, does that mean we could easily replace the 360 textures? :eek: I will probably play with keyboard and mouse on my PC but if I ever play I on my laptop I would use my DS3 so I'm curious.

Aside from the sound issues that should be patched fairly soon, the port sounds like it's working for most on the Hype Trains. Of course they would unlock while I was asleep, lol. Hope y'all enjoy the game!

Never mind the interface textures, how about battlefield textures?

Burt

Alt-tab hasn't caused any problems for me yet, although it does take a while longer to come back up than I would like.

Ultimadrago

Alt-tab has worked for me swell thus far, but I've only played 45 min. In fact, it has worked much smoother for me than most full-screen games do. I was really impressed. Still have more time to see if it will get the "Full-Screen-itis" though

Top Bottom