• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

dani_dc

Friend told me he bought VC because "I was sure you'd get it for me during christmas, and I rather be surprised". How did he know? <.<

Durante

I'm really bummed about my DLC issue. I guess the easiest way to go is to get Valve to remove the game from my account and then buy it again.

And judging from my earlier interactions with Valve support, that's not particularly easy either.

Looks like the game has good modding potential. Files are easily accessible (it doesn't have files in massive container files which is fairly common for other games). There's individual scripts for every mission. They seem to contain control over dialogue, but maybe they have all info related to missions (scripted events, and maybe enemy placements). If that's the case, and if someone's crazy enough to reverse engineer that format, we might get powerful control over mission design.

Textures are in DDS format (they are uncompressed in what looks like a very simple container format).
So format difficulties aside, no compression or anything that would increase the difficulty of hacking this version. Excellent. I await the day I can play as Radi!

Sucks about the DLC, mang. I hope Valve can wisen up, or maybe SEGA of America could help if they know who you are.

ArjanN

I've got no DLC :(

I have a press copy and apparently that doesn't include the DLC. I've also got 4 bought copies sitting in my Steam inventory, but I can't activate those of course since I already own the game.

So basically, there is no way for me to get the DLC. Sega, help!

SEGA [developer]
Patch Update 11/11/2014
- Fix for quiet/off-pitch audio (SFX and VO) during battles.
- Fixed DLC not installing correctly.

Maybe the update just now fixed it?

wKnELx5.jpg
BORDERING THE 4TH
(you're still welcome to hop aboard.)

NOW IM OUT!

RgAEOYO.jpg

Somebody please put me on this beautiful train.

Falk

that puzzling face
I can't wait for when all you new people get to like ~Chapter 14.

Mind was so blown all those years ago.

edit:
SEGA [developer]
Patch Update 11/11/2014
- Fix for quiet/off-pitch audio (SFX and VO) during battles.
- Fixed DLC not installing correctly.

SEGA delivers!

Shahadan

I love this game. I should have listened to myself years ago and bought a ps3 for it.

Some of the sound effects and text stuff remind me of Fire Emblem, my heart likes this.

Grief.exe

You know what the most random thing I love is?

08877B176A9C3724485926FD7C9A4D8D40FBC314

The goddamn map resolution is higher, or the maps were high rez in the original to the point that 720 actually lost some detail. I love being able to read the maps clearly now. I hadn't picked up on the fact, for example, that the road to Welks' house is literally named after his dad.

I haven't had a game, let alone a port, bring a smile to my face like this in a long goddamn time. Based Sega, thank you for this.

Do we know which studio was responsible for the port?

The canvas engine really is impressing me. Glad they didn't make this a 2D element.

Kieli

I can't wait for when all you new people get to like ~Chapter 14.

Mind was so blown all those years ago.

edit:

SEGA delivers!

Don't do this... You're just going to lead people on and have their expectations warped when they should really just be enjoying the game.

maguskain

Was on the fence, but a day off with nothing to do and too much browsing off this topic convinced me to take the plunge. Now I just have to wait forever for it to download

In my steam library it's got "Update queued" against Valkyria.

I'm not in game at the moment, does the game update itself the next time I fire it up or do I have to do something manually for the update to apply?

Sectus

Hmm. Apparently my savegame is gone. I don't care much since I was only a few missions in, but if this might happen again that's a potential serious issue.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I have the savegame open in a hex editor. Game probably failed to open it for reading.

Durante

If I had to guess, it's probably a Steam Cloud issue. It seems like it always is :p

Anyway, your saves should be in steamapps/common/Valkyria Chronicles/savedata/[UID]/

Edit:
lol

Locuza

GAF and the Petition got me hyped.
Without the Petition, the hope and the great advertisement from GAF for the Game, i wouldn't bought it.

So i pray with everybody else, that one day we will see Vanquish and other titles too.

jb1234

GAF and the Petition got me hyped.
Without the Petition, the hope and the great advertisement from GAF for the Game, i wouldn't bought it.

So i pray with everybody else, that one day we will see Vanquish and other titles too.

I'm just hoping we get the other two games in this series. I haven't played them (not that many have played the third).

Kirye

Alright, this is starting to frustrate me. I preloaded the game yesterday and finished installing it today, wouldn't start up at all. So I deleted all the local content, downloaded the entire game again and tried to run it, again it won't even load.

Anyone else having this issue? This is the first time i've had any issue running a game off of Steam.

Durante

For the people getting crashes, are you running the game at >4k resolution? Because I only ever got crashes at 5k and above.

Yea, I had the same problem. Thankfully, you can breeze through it all again in just a few minutes, but yea, that was pretty annoying.
Just did the same thing. Picked a bunch of randoms and did the upgrades. Worked fine the second time. Vyse and Marina were suddenly available after the crash so I'm happy about that I guess.

For the people getting crashes, are you running the game at >4k resolution? Because I only ever got crashes at 5k and above.
Running @ 1680x1050 going from headquarters > book mode for the first time (chpt 3 I think).

tauke

I only crash to desktop when playing at 5k or higher. 8k option just outright crash after choosing to load a game while 5k crash when loading a mission. This is on GTX 780 3GB.

Just did the same thing. Picked a bunch of randoms and did the upgrades. Worked fine the second time. Vyse and Marina were suddenly available after the crash so I'm happy about that I guess.

Running @ 1680x1050 going from headquarters > book mode for the first time (chpt 3 I think).
Try disabling the steam overlay.

ArjanN

Alright, this is starting to frustrate me. I preloaded the game yesterday and finished installing it today, wouldn't start up at all. So I deleted all the local content, downloaded the entire game again and tried to run it, again it won't even load.

Anyone else having this issue? This is the first time i've had any issue running a game off of Steam.

Deleting local content is almost never the answer, you can pretty much always just verify integrity of the files without re-downloading everything. Also try restarting Steam.

Kirye

Deleting local content is almost never the answer, you can pretty much always just verify integrity of the files without re-downloading everything. Also try restarting Steam.

Did both of those already, still nada. I don't even see the game open in Task manager when I try to open it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was at 4k.

And the problems all seem to be at that very same point, getting back to the Book mode after configuring your squad for the first time. Its not a massive issue, since it seems to work fine re-doing it, but its a minor irritant.

Anyways, how does the card market usually shape up? I was greedy when I saw I was the first to put a card up for sale and put it up for $2.00, cuz what the hell, ya know? But now the prices are plummeting and I relisted for $1.40. Do they actually sell at these prices or this is all just posturing til it comes down to a reasonable price? Whatever the case, don't look at me when card prices are shit. I tried to keep the value high! :p

Randdalf

Looks like the game has good modding potential. Files are easily accessible (it doesn't have files in massive container files which is fairly common for other games). There's individual scripts for every mission. They seem to contain control over dialogue, but maybe they have all info related to missions (scripted events, and maybe enemy placements). If that's the case, and if someone's crazy enough to reverse engineer that format, we might get powerful control over mission design.

Textures are in DDS format (they are uncompressed in what looks like a very simple container format).

Savegame format is similar to PS3 version. But instead of having numerous files as part of one savegame, it's all combined into one file. I don't know if the actual save data is in the same format. If endian is the same, it might be doable to create a PS3->PC savegame convertor.

DDS format IS compressed, normally using DXT5 and it should also contain mipmaps too. It's just very common and so fairly trivial to write a DDS <-> PNG converter, I've done it myself.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553839(v=vs.85).aspx

Okay umm what's going on with Steam here? o.o I already had 7gb downloaded and clicked on pause for a moment so my PS4 could download 2.02 real quick. Now I resumed and my download is back at 200mb... don't tell me Steam can't pause progress of a individual file while downloading? :/

Did both of those already, still nada. I don't even see the game open in Task manager when I try to open it.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Okay umm what's going on with Steam here? o.o I already had 7gb downloaded and clicked on pause for a moment so my PS4 could download 2.02 real quick. Now I resumed and my download is back at 200mb... don't tell me Steam can't pause progress of a individual file while downloading? :/

There was an update of around that size pushed recently.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's with the random slowdown's in some missions? Some other missions run fine, but others slow down to like 25-30FPS? Is it because I have it set to "Variable Framerate" for Vsync? I can't really see anything (like the surprise water tank mission) being taxing for the game/system to where it does that. :/

Top Bottom