• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Durante

What's with the random slowdown's in some missions? Some other missions run fine, but others slow down to like 25-30FPS? Is it because I have it set to "Variable Framerate" for Vsync? I can't really see anything (like the surprise water tank mission) being taxing for the game/system to where it does that. :/
Don't use the in-game V-sync option. Disable both the game's frame lock and the in-game V-sync, and force v-sync (or even better adaptive v-sync) with the driver.

What's with the random slowdown's in some missions? Some other missions run fine, but others slow down to like 25-30FPS? Is it because I have it set to "Variable Framerate" for Vsync? I can't really see anything (like the surprise water tank mission) being taxing for the game/system to where it does that. :/
Seems like internal V-sync has issues, could you force it externally? Yes, beaten of course.

Dr Dogg

I've got no DLC :(

I have a press copy and apparently that doesn't include the DLC. I've also got 4 bought copies sitting in my Steam inventory, but I can't activate those of course since I already own the game.

So basically, there is no way for me to get the DLC. Sega, help!

What would happen if someone gifted you a copy or you tried to redeem a key from a reseller like GMG? I'm wondering if it would add the other packages to your account as they would be on a different sub. Sounds like a JaseC question to be fair.

Durante

What would happen if someone gifted you a copy or you tried to redeem a key from a reseller like GMG? I'm wondering if it would add the other packages to your account as they would be on a different sub. Sounds like a JaseC question to be fair.
I tried it (I have 4 gift copies sitting in my inventory) and it tells me I already own the game :(

Fixed audio issues and DLC.
(The latter for everyone but me :p)

Sectus

DDS format IS compressed, normally using DXT5 and it should also contain mipmaps too. It's just very common and so fairly trivial to write a DDS <-> PNG converter, I've done it myself.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553839(v=vs.85).aspx

I know how the DDS format works, I mean that the DDS files themselves are in an uncompressed and unencrypted state. It's common for games to store assets in container files which have their own layer of compression and/or encryption.

Dr Dogg

Ha! Joke's on Ubisoft, Unity doesn't even show on the store for me and VC is duking it out with Footy Manager for the top spot.
More to do with the buggers not wanting to sell it to the UK atm but swings and roundabouts.

I tried it (I have 4 gift copies sitting in my inventory) and it tells me I already own the game :(

Damn dude sorry to hea...

HOLY CRAP!

Someone from Sega (or Valve) must have heard me!
They added the DLC to the review package: https://steamdb.info/sub/41919/

AWESOME

Oh nevermind :p

It is a bit odd for ports to have DLC added as separate entities but a few have done it recent. Anyway great to see the problem solved itself!

Valkyria Chronicles has a really good artstyle, wow. I don't actually think I can distinguish still images from rendered models.

It's all very impressive.
Don't run higher than 4k resolution.
I can't, so that's unlikely to be the issue. I'm running at 1080p, my monitor's native resolution. I'm not sure what caused it - though skipping through all of the dialog and cutscenes got me through it just fine, even while upgrading/recruiting as normal.

And you were right about the quick saving time. I totally thought that was an exaggeration.
same thing mayne
gotta do the gate defense all over again

can't help it i guess, i'll go play a bit of isaac a come back later
Happened to me too. Had to replay the a mission, ehh. Been saving like a mad man since.
Bingo. You know how it is.

Unless the game autosaves at new chapters, I somehow lucked out and saved at the beginning of that chapter... very fortunate, either way.
That really sucks. Don't the squadmate selections randomize when you get a new batch of recruits? Going back in you may see a different list to choose from.
Yeah, the recruit lists are randomized when you first open it.

The second time I got through it in ten minutes, and managed to get a neat sniper and VYSE, both of whom weren't there before. So I guess it worked out.
So much custom, so much things to do, man this game reminds me final fantasy tactics, i love it, thanks gaf for recommend this game and sega for porting this game.

Fire Emblem runs through this game's veins. It's fantastic. The way it reconciles turn-based gameplay and real-time combat is phenomenal - it pulls it off without compromising either aspect. sogood.jpg

The only problem thus far has been some worky cover detection. Though because obstacles block shots anyways I suppose "taking cover" isn't necessary most of the time, even if it feels like it should be.

cdViking

Been almost completely divorced from games and games coverage this year (only 2014 games I've played are Wolfenstein and South Park), and didn't even know this was coming. I only learned about the port today after looking into buying a PSP solely for this game and 2... so awesome to hear the port is quite good, and that sales are looking awesome. Sega deserves major, major props.

Almighty

Well just woke up and I see the game is ready to go. I am so happy right now as I still can't believe that Valkyria Chronicles was ported to the PC. It was always at the top of my wish list, but one I was 100 percent positive would never happen. I am also glad it is now number two on Steam and has a pretty good player count.

Been almost completely divorced from games and games coverage this year (only 2014 games I've played are Wolfenstein and South Park), and didn't even know this was coming. I only learned about the port today after looking into buying a PSP solely for this game and 2... so awesome to hear the port is quite good, and that sales are looking awesome. Sega deserves major, major props.

I'm not sure why you were looking for a PSP to play the first Valkyria, since it was formerly a PS3 exclusive.

Still hoping this sells enough to justify an up-port for 2 and 3. Could even bundle them together (since they share a few maps anyway .-.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Uh... this was never on PSP. You mean PS3 yes?

VC2 AND 3 were PSP, meanwhile.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Finally got it working!

It's pretty much the same as I remember it being. Which is to say; great. I'm actually going to be playing this concurrently with VC3, to get the full Second Europan War experience. :D

Game works great. Saving works so fast I'm not even sure it saves when it does.

Only thing is that it crashes upon exiting the game. Small thing.
Yep, I experienced both of these things too. Super smooth saving. And it's not a big deal when it crashes when you're exiting the game anyway.

Edgeward

Game works great. Saving works so fast I'm not even sure it saves when it does.

Only thing is that it crashes upon exiting the game. Small thing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I still haven't got Marina on my current playthrough.

Will I have to reverse engineer the save format just to get her? ;)

You could always save right before a new batch of recruits are available, and if you don't see her in the list reload the save and try again.

Hikami

Alright just got home and about to start this (first time playing it).
Just wondering if I should use keyboard/mouse or gamepad?

I don't mind either, just wondering if one has any advantages over the other.

xMrSunshine

Neo Member
Anyone else having an issue where the menus keep autoscrolling? It's the same shit that happens when you've got an axis active on a racing wheel or something while starting a game so the highlited menu option keeps changing. Only controller I have connected is a wireless 360 pad but the game does the same stuff with it on, off and completely disconnected. I have a flightstick and a raching wheel but the last time either of those was connected was to the PC was weeks and weeks ago but maybe their profiles or drivers or something are doing weird things?

Tried reinstalling, restarting, veryfying game cache, running as admin.

UPDATE EDIT: I had Vjoy installed because some part of the headtracking software I use for flight sims uses it for something. VC options config recognized it as a viable input option and automatically assigned everything to d-pad up. Unistalled it and it disappeared from the options and shit seems to be working.

Durante

Alright just got home and about to start this (first time playing it).
Just wondering if I should use keyboard/mouse or gamepad?

I don't mind either, just wondering if one has any advantages over the other.
Personally, I find that I can play the game faster with KB/mouse than a gamepad. Both work well though - I'd say use kb/m at a desk and gamepad for a couch/large screen experience.

You could always save right before a new batch of recruits are available, and if you don't see her in the list reload the save and try again.
I might actually do that.
Marina <3

Ultimadrago

Rosie and Jaaaaaane~ I'm coming, ladies!

2010-05-02-274362cru0y.jpeg

cdViking

Uh... this was never on PSP. You mean PS3 yes?

VC2 AND 3 were PSP, meanwhile.
Ah, see, I'm oblivious enough to the series (and Sony exclusive properties) that I didn't get far enough in figuring out what systems to get to be able to play. I re-fired up Fire Emblem Awakening and got to trying to find good SRPG games, and came across VC.

In any case, this is super exciting, and I'm thrilled that I can spend $20 on what seems like a great port instead of having to buy old hardware to in addition software. It almost feels gratifying to support a game company for doing something so awesome... glad to see Sega getting their due (in positive consumer response and bottom line dollars). Hopefully this is the start of more stuff coming to the PC!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Sadly VC seems to crash when I have OBS open with GeDa running and it appears not to capture at all when I have monitor capture set instead so I'm going to have to downsample the old fashioned way.

Durante

Don't turn this into a waifu thread already, otherwise we might find ourselves in the community graveyard before our time ;)

That said, I don't get this general fascination with Edy in a game that has both Marina and Jane. Where's my Marina DLC?

In any case, this is super exciting, and I'm thrilled that I can spend $20 on what seems like a great port instead of having to buy old hardware to in addition software. It almost feels gratifying to support a game company for doing something so awesome... glad to see Sega getting their due (in positive consumer response and bottom line dollars). Hopefully this is the start of more stuff coming to the PC!
Damn right!

Top Bottom