• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

billsmugs

So, when should I best play the two DLCs of Edy and Selvaria? After the main game or sometime inbetween?

I'd say to play them after completing the game. You might get some spoilers (or possibly hints of later story events) because I think they are set part way through the campaign. You also get a ridiculously powerful gun for completing the Selvaria DLC that you can use in the main story, but it's basically cheating to use it on a first playthrough.

Edit: Both of those points are going off memory though, someone else might be able to better advise on spoiler content and unlocks.

Edit2: The Edy DLC definitely contains major spoilers, so don't play that one until you've finished the game.

I want to play this but I'm already addicted to Xcom Long War. I'm gonna have a strategy overload

I'm in the same boat. LW's the only thing I've been playing for weeks.

But it's nice to switch to a strategy game with an actual story and non-cookie-cutter, replaceable characters. Of course, on the other hand Xcom's missions are consistent enough that you can actually strategize while Valkyria is content to throw in a curveball every time, where most of the difficulty comes from just figuring out what to do.

Oh hey what's this? OH SHIT. There's goes my month.

After Valkyria of course. Ain't no hopping off this train.

It's so much better than vanilla Xcom. Consequently, it also takes a lot longer (it's in the name, I know) to complete a campaign.

Netto-kun

Pre-ordered the game when its Steam page went up and also gifted to two friends because region lock is a terrible thing.

Though I am a little bit bummed that my stationary is too crappy to run the game on graphic settings that are higher than 1280x720/60hz/30fps/Vsync off...which probably means I should invest in a gaming PC next summer.

(and showing off my Valkyria Chronicles stuffs just because. VC2 Japanese guide book and Project X Zone not included.).

Also for those who didn't know, this is the opening theme from the Japanese version.

Durante

I finally found something to complain about with this port: you only get 20 save slots. Of course, this being a PC game I can manually manage my saves and keep as many as I want, but still.

KB&M controls are soooo good. Granted the weird Space and Enter thing going on did confuse me at first but makes sense when put into gameplay. Also the prerender segments actually look a bit clearer than what I remember of my time on PS3. Then again my TV at the time was awful and I was still clinging to an analog monitor.

Really great to play through this again, even at the early stages.

Edit: Actually looking at some of my screenies now some of the assets scale up really nice. The engine and gun sound text effects were something I thought might stick out but they look good, even at 3840x2160.
Yeah, it shows someone actually put thought into the default mappingrather than going with what seems to make sense at first. It's really good.

joe2187

Banned

I love that theme.

And sweet collection. I've been meaning to track down a VC1 artbook someday.

And your collection is a shrine of broken dreams by SEGA.

Thanks for Sonic Boom SEGA, really appreciate all the hard work and effort. Who needs localizations when we got Sonic Boom?

I'm not getting any sound whatsoever :(, nothing in game or the main menu, even the Sega logo is silent.

just tried a few other games and they're fine, it's just this game that's screwed up for me.
I'm using onboard sound with stereo headphones, no other audio devices connected.
In the games Configure options under the audio tab, "Audio Adapter" is the only option, is it the same for you guys?

I've been reading about people having audio issues but I haven't seen anyone else with the same problem as me... makes it hard to find a fix.

EDIT: oh and yes I've verified the game cache, restarted steam/pc, no change

Acti

you are already there been a while, see on the 1st tank?

also this is a updated version.

B7bZjgo.jpg

That train needs some SLOWPOKE. (Let me in before it goes away.)

Avatar link (transparent background).

So what's the consensus on English Vs. Japanese voice acting for this game?

I played with English VO when I first played on PS3 years ago and I'm playing with Japanese VO now. They're both good (from what I can remember from the ENG VO) but I feel the English VO fits the characters better.

Zeth

Thank you thread, for alerting me to the existence of XCOM Long War.

Between these two games, I should be set for months.

Hasney

Just jumped on Steam and saw it hit number 2 here. I'm in the UK, so I doubt it'll topple Football Manager, BUT YAY! Also means it's a 1-2 for Sega.

AsfaeksBR

I think I'm in love.
I bought it last week because I wanted to help Sega and send a message for them to bring other games to PC, and I knew nothing about Valkyria Chronicles.
After playing a couple of hours of Unity today, I decided to fire up some VC to see what it's about. It's amazing!!!!!

Dr.Acula

Banned
I also have a 770, what options in GeDoSaTo should I fiddle with to get the best image without harming performance? AA, SSAO, AF, etc?

Durante

I also have a 770, what options in GeDoSaTo should I fiddle with to get the best image without harming performance? AA, SSAO, AF, etc?
None of those, for Valkyria. Just set the game to 4k and you're good to go. Perhaps you'll also want to configure a keybinding for taking hudless screenshots.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'd like to see Totalbiscut to do a WTF on this game....it needs the attention bad...

petran79

Banned
very good port with low system requirements! runs smoothly.
Also I dont mind the English dub. Fits the setting quite well

I prefer a controller though. I'll keep the kb/mouse for Western strategy titles

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Oh was the audio issue already fixed?
Not sure of how pervasive the fix/issue is as I haven't started playing yet, but they released this patch:

SEGA [developer]
Patch Update 11/11/2014
- Fix for quiet/off-pitch audio (SFX and VO) during battles.
- Fixed DLC not installing correctly.

Knurek

None of those, for Valkyria. Just set the game to 4k and you're good to go. Perhaps you'll also want to configure a keybinding for taking hudless screenshots.

You not recommending forcing AFx16? Who are you and what have you done with Durante?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
This is great. VC on the PC and people are buying it!

I've noticed some issues though. Reading posts here I decided to leave vsync off to avoid slowdown but it still happens occasionally. I'll try with vsync and see what happens. There's a glitch with the "talking head" cutscenes where the box around their heads freaks out. It's too distracting to ignore. Anyone else get that?

Top Bottom