• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

epmode

First crash the instant I finished the first mission. I'm using GeDoSaTo to downsample from 5120x3200@60 (twice my resolution). Screen turned black like it was loading, nothing happened for 10 seconds, Windows desktop.

edit: Wait, that's over 4K and I think Durante said >4K causes crashing. Guess I'll screw around with my resolution some more.

edit edit: 360 controller analog sensitivity seems poor. It's not easy to make small adjustments without switching to the d-pad.

Peff

The Sniper class was always very interchangeable to me. I liked using Marina but it really didn't make much of a difference.

They're probably the least useful to me after Engineers.

Marina's aiming reticle during endgame is literally a red dot.

ShadiWulf

I ran into the crash issue after leaving the barracks for the first time, too.

1080p resolution, 60 FPS, nothing special setting wise. So i don't think its related to how high your resolution is.

Sucked though! Oh well, not the end of the world. Good thing you can skip cutscenes. Got my squad built now.

Ultimadrago

The Sniper class was always very interchangeable to me. I liked using Marina but it really didn't make much of a difference.

They're probably the least useful to me after Engineers.

I agree with you in the start of the game, but I was given numerous reasons to be grateful for Marina in mid-to-endgame. Ridiculous utility.

That said, the best class (sans "Alicia Class") are Shocktroopers. Rosie, Vyse and Jane tangoing those front lines all day.

Videoneon

Snipers are super situational and then when the situation calls for them they are godlike. Sometimes not having them really sucks. To say nothing of Marina though, but to speak generally. Marina is ridiculous.

I like Engineers too. If you're starting out they can be a complement for snipers and depending on positioning of enemies can turn your tank into uber-tank. They have shockingly good mobility, decent enough guns. Then there's the whole de-mining thing of course. Not the stars of the show by any means but still love them.

edit edit: 360 controller analog sensitivity seems poor. It's not easy to make small adjustments without switching to the d-pad.
I remember that's how it was in the original, where the PS3 d-pad was meant for minute adjustments.

When HP reaches 0, most units fall to the ground and must be physically touched (hitbox) by another unit in three turns; if that period lapses or an enemy unit reaches him/her first, bye-bye. Hero units can't die this way, and Welkin dying means Game Over.

Videoneon

BTW when people die...do they die permanently? Leaders too?

The main characters like Alicia, Largo, Rosie will never die in the sense that they'll cease to be a unit option in the future. You'll always want them around as they boost your command points.

Other characters are a different story. If a field unit that isn't one of those three loses their HP and is picked up by an enemy unit or three turns lapse then they are dead.

edit for wrongness

Peff

BTW when people die...do they die permanently? Leaders too?

If you leave them out there for three full turns (as in all the little medals three times) or an enemy soldier gets to them, yes. If it's a leader, they only retreat, which means you lose the extra movement per turn you get when they're deployed.

Did RAITA do the char. design in this game or was it just the artwork?
As soon as I saw this I googled his name for involvement to confirm that familiar artstyle

Looking for info about it, Raita Honjou and Hirotaka Kanazawa appear as the artists of the game so it's highly probably that he was involved in the character design.

aravuus

It's been so long since I last played the game, did leveling up actually do anything when it doesn't go "somethingsomething potential/order/whatever unlocked"?

tim.mbp

Downloading now. Will eat dinner first, but I can feel an all night play session coming on since I've got nothing going on tomorrow.

Durante

Good heavens it's every bit as good as I remember.
It really is, isn't it? Just finished up the desert. Marina already wrecking.

It's been so long since I last played the game, did leveling up actually do anything when it doesn't go "somethingsomething potential/order/whatever unlocked"?
Yes, AFAIK it still increases various stats.

Wait, finishing a battle saves downed guys.
Yeah, characters only perma-die after 3 turns or if an enemy reaches them. (I actually had the latter happen in the Wildwood mission. I suck)

Ultimadrago

If you leave them out there for three full turns (as in all the little medals three times) or an enemy soldier gets to them, yes. If it's a leader, they only retreat, which means you lose the extra movement per turn you get when they're deployed.

Do enemy foot soldiers ever deliberately try to kill off one of your soldiers? I've only ever had tanks do that when in a path of destruction. I found enemy soldiers usually ignoring downed soldiers.

Looking for info about it, Raita Honjou and Hirotaka Kanazawa appear as the artists of the game so it's highly probably that he was involved in the character design.
Raita's the main character designer according to the art-book, though he really didn't come up with much, just the most recognizable characters and stylings. Kanazawa worked on CANVAS and fine-tuned the military-based art.

Do enemy foot soldiers ever deliberately try to kill off one of your soldiers? I've only ever had tanks do that when in a path of destruction. I found enemy soldiers usually ignoring downed soldiers.
Wouldn't be surprised about either; doesn't matter to a foot soldier who gets incapacitated once the battle's won or about to be.

Game crashed in my first run in the HQ. No Marina there.

2nd loadup and I find Marina in the recruit list.

Saved with Marina, Vyse, Aika on the first go. That crash was beneficial for me lol.

Shiina

Game crashed in my first run in the HQ. No Marina there.

2nd loadup and I find Marina in the recruit list.

Saved with Marina, Vyse, Aika on the first go. That crash was beneficial for me lol.

Good thing mine didn't crash when I got Aika, Vyse, Edy, Jane, Jann, Nadine and Marina in my recruit list.

Peff

Yeah, the AI is usually rather lenient, as long as there aren't soldiers in their line of sight they don't do all that much during their turns in standard missions. Not so in EX-Hard, though!

Videoneon

I have had some strange experiences with enemy AI. The enemy never seemed to bother to pick up my downed soldiers, and would occasionally do strange things like wasting a CP walking backwards and forwards or run past my unit. Those instances have mostly been rare though.

Almighty

Well I figured out that it was me having my DS3 plugged in that was blocking the achievements. I had a hunch that was it as I had the same problem with Batman Arkham Asylum. Probably a sign I should look into updating or replacing the wrapper I use, but I am lazy.

KiraFA37

screenshot_2014-11-11lur49.jpg

Took 4 reloads, but so worth it.

Huh, she that special? Got her right after liberating the Great Vasel Bridge
and instantly added her to my roster!
Also had the pleasure of meeting this fine chap in HD.

To bad you can't take him into combat
and let him die.
I never got to the mission on PS3 where he did that.
He dies right? In the anime he did.
Some other thing I noticed while reading through the glossary. Gallia has a population of 430.000 persons give or take a few thousands. In peace time they have a standing army of ~92.000 which is equivalent to 21.395% of the population. Seems like they missed a zero or Gallia is a heavily militarized kingdom bent on world domination.

I only played 2 hours but the game is really good and the added sharpness from running the game at high resolution really justifies the art style. Good port, just annoyed that everything looks so big in regards to other games I play on PC, looking at you Victoria 2.

Almighty

Some other thing I noticed while reading through the glossary. Gallia has a population of 430.000 persons give or take a few thousands. In peace time they have a standing army of ~92.000 which is equivalent to 21.395% of the population. Seems like they missed a zero or Gallia is a heavily militarized kingdom bent on world domination.

I noticed that as well. I assume it has to do with them being between two super powers that want their resources. Or a typo.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Also had the pleasure of meeting this fine chap in HD.

and let him die.

In the first few chapters all the characters talk about various military related classes they took in school, so I think they really are heavily militarized.

Videoneon

and let him die.

She is very special.Best sniper.

As for the guy I haven't watched the anime though I'm well aware it took a bunch of liberties in comparison to the game, as for that guy in the game
he's a douche and dies in a very important way even though he's a minor character. His name is Georg

In the first few chapters all the characters talk about various military related classes they took in school, so I think they really are heavily militarized.
Not really militarized (that's the Empire) so much as they're combat-ready at any moment. I seem to read different figures on Gallia's population by census every site I visit, so not sure to what degree the military comprises the total citizenry.

GWX

Loving this delicious game. The only bad thing so far is the low cutscene resolution, but it's forgivable. Game runs at 60 fps locked at 1080p on my ancient Q6600/9800GTX+ rig! Even thought about messing with supersampling seeing the delicious performance, but I gotta keep my expectations in check :lol

Ludovico

For someone about to attempt playing this on a T-100 tablet: would I be able to use gedesato to improve performance or JUST appearance?

GeoGonzo

Just started playing, had no previous experience. Still in the tutorials but I'm intrigued! My only complain is incredibly silly but... isn't it weird how quiet gunfire is in this game?

Chariot

Yes. At one point they are stating that every year in school there is a military class. And given that we have children in the troops...

Not really militarized (that's the Empire) so much as they're combat-ready at any moment. I seem to read different figures on Gallia's population by census every site I visit, so not sure to what degree the military comprises the total citizenry.
They're pretty much militarized. Military education is not an option, everyone could possible be drafted. We are talking about a nation that lets 12 year olds into the army even in times of peace. And she is not the only very young one in the troops. Not even the empire uses child soldiers. Granted, the empire is much bigger and don't need desperately troops. But that is what it is. Gallia is a militarized country because it needs to be next to the empire.

KiraFA37

I noticed that as well. I assume it has to do with them being between two super powers that want their resources. Or a typo.

Probably, but the thing is if you look at the size of the big cities like Randgridz, Fouzen and Vasel a population of 430k seems doable.

Yes but 20% active military in peace time? If you look at this wikipedia list the highest of active military today is around 5% which is for North Korea (excluding Vatican City, they have 13%).

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes. they all have their own potentials, friends(having soliders next to their friends can give you an advantage/bonuses on the battlefield), and other stats like HP.
Ah poo. I had the crash after I went to the HQ the first time(after meticulously picking out my recruits) and the 2nd time through I just rushed through picking everybody. No idea if my guys/gals are any good.

Top Bottom