• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Dr.Acula

Banned
Gallia has a population of 430.000 persons give or take a few thousands. In peace time they have a standing army of ~92.000 which is equivalent to 21.395% of the population. Seems like they missed a zero or Gallia is a heavily militarized kingdom bent on world domination.

Not really. Say they have mandatory service for 2 years with a 10 year reserve. 21% of the population doesn't seem that far-fetched.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/demo10a-eng.htm

Canada's population of 20-34 year olds is 21%.

Plus this game men and women serve, so that's only 10% of the male population, which isn't a lot.

Game is still challenging after 5 years of not playing it. I am getting through things much easier than my first time, but there is no auto-pilot. You have to be strategic. Although the difficulty sadly doesn't hold up later if I recall. Scouts become 1 man wrecking crews late game.

Chariot

Yes but 20% active military in peace time? If you look at this wikipedia list the highest of active military today is around 5% which is for North Korea (excluding Vatican City, they have 13%).
I guess they're very scared of the empire.
Plus, does the Milita count as standing army? If so, a lot of people just could have two jobs.

ShadiWulf

Ah poo. I had the crash after I went to the HQ the first time(after meticulously picking out my recruits) and the 2nd time through I just rushed through picking everybody. No idea if my guys/gals are any good.

You can go to the barracks any time while in the book like menu, so no worries.

KiraFA37

Not really. Say they have mandatory service, and during war time anyone from 18-40 and in good health must fight. 21% of the population fighting doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Plus this game men and women serve, so that's only 10% of the male population, which isn't a lot in war time.

Maybe I'm having a different context about what the glossary says. I'm reading it as having 20% of your population in the army at peace time doing whatever a soldier does in peace in his barracks and not as being able to call upon 20% of your population for war during peace.

Plus, does the Milita count as standing army? If so, a lot of people just could have two jobs.

So selling insurances from Monday till Thursday and hanging out in the militia barracks on Friday? That could work. I'm only considering the professional army in my thought process.

tim.mbp

1: Game's not detecting my nVidia graphics card so I had to force it in the control panel, did this happen to anyone else?

I game on a notebook and yeah that happened to me. Defaulted to the integrated Intel rather than the 755m. Just had to change the settings in the Nvidia Control Panel for both the game and config launcher.

McNum

Playing this game on PC feels so weird, and yet so right. The command map and a mouse is just awesome. Yes, you can skip from unit to unit, but mousing just feels right.

And man am I rusty at this. So many things I've forgotten how to do. Playing all cautious and wrong. Could have ended the last map two turns sooner if I had just rushed Alicia and Rosie into positions faster. Ah, well, I can pick up the spare EXP in a few Skimishes. And try out some characters I haven't used.

Sure seeing a lot of Marina love here, I just got her available, so maybe I should give her a go. I think I used O'Hara on PS3. No Vyse or Aika yet. I seem to remember in Scout power, there's Alicia, Aika and the rest...

When I get to one particular Skirmish, I wonder if I can pull off my old strategy for it. That was a funny one. The one where you have to activate a lift. Load Alicia up on Orders, make her loop half the map, and press the button that lets everyone else join the fight. Also featuring that one-in-a-million sniper shot through a cracked wall... as the standard opening shot.

Eyothrie

In GeDoSaTo, the Valkyria profile is blank except for this:

injectPSHash e5c4c013
injectDelayAfterDraw true
constrainInjectedRT true

Am I supposed to manually add the other settings? I simply want to downsample from 4K to 1080p. Can I manually add the Render res and Present res settings?

Seanspeed

Banned
You can go to the barracks any time while in the book like menu, so no worries.
Ah good. Thanks.

Playing this game on PC feels so weird, and yet so right. The command map and a mouse is just awesome. Yes, you can skip from unit to unit, but mousing just feels right.
Never played on PS3, but mouse/keyboard works just fine for me.

I am glad I have a DPI switch on my mouse, though. It needs a click higher for this game.

Moldiver

How do I see what the res is downscaling from? When FF13 starts it tells me on tthe top, tried the default subtract '-' and '+' but no mention of res just FPS

FINALLY! Fixed the Sound!!!

It was a Direct X problem, I was just going through the Games Directory, saw DXSETUP.exe, ran it because why not and it worked!

Now off to play :D

I am glad I have a DPI switch on my mouse, though. It needs a click higher for this game.

I think this is my biggest problem with the game right now, even with mouse sensitivity at max. The command screen is just to slow to move around in with the mouse. Its disappointing, because it feels so natural to use it, but I don't want to since its much faster to scroll around with wasd and snap to the nearest unit with the arrow keys.

Gibbo

Hey guys, im at my wits snd trying to make the game launch. When i launch the game from steam, it says preparing to launch for a split second, and then the window closes.

Ive tried
-redownloading from steam
-running as admin from the exe files
-disabling firewall. I use MSE for my antivirus - dont think that cam be disabled?
-rebooting my comp
-starting steam in offline mode.

No luck on all fronts. Help :(

Corpekata

Banned
Having mouse issues suddenly. Worked earlier but now it launches with my windows mouse cursor showing up and it won't take mouse commands (like aiming, using left click to confirm).

Well shit, the game runs smoothly in 720p on my old ass laptop (Core2Duo T7100 1.80ghz, 8600M GT, 4go RAM). I'm on Chapter 2 at the moment.

I'm impressed that everything's so great (so far), I expected it would run like shit.

Baust

Didn't notice these before: Dat 1080p in action?

8bbc0a95d0.jpg
02ffb78581.jpg

Save Bread: You saves the country!

Lol, I just noticed this myself!

Went through the barracks stage first time and no crash, but I did drop down into windowed and reduced the rez just in case.

I got fairly lucky with my choices, Aika,Vyse,Jane,Jann,Fresia and Melville (because I like that knucklehead) but missed out on Marina unfortunately. I may go back and try my luck again just in case I hit the jackpot.

Kumubou

Sound seems weird, like I'm with the wrong setup, since voices during combat seem muted
There's a known issue with the audio where certain sounds come in at a much lower volume than they should. I'm running into the same issue myself. :\ That and the mouse sensitivity are my two big issues here -- I pretty much need to double the DPI of my mouse to get the cursor to respond well, even at max sensitivity. Hopefully they get these issues fixed soon, as the port really does seem super clean otherwise.

Hey guys, im at my wits snd trying to make the game launch. When i launch the game from steam, it says preparing to launch for a split second, and then the window closes.

Ive tried
-redownloading from steam
-running as admin from the exe files
-disabling firewall. I use MSE for my antivirus - dont think that cam be disabled?
-rebooting my comp
-starting steam in offline mode.

No luck on all fronts. Help :(

same exact problems here.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well people having crashes at launch try going into the local files and delete: system_config.xml

My computer crashed when I was messing around with some stuff and VC saved it so it would break when I would launch it, but after wiping that and redoing the settings it worked just fine again.

Also: If you're using GeDoSaTo and using something like OBS to capture it seems to crash the game too. So stop using GeDoSaTo if you're streaming.

Well people having crashes at launch try going into the local files and delete: system_config.xml

My computer crashed when I was messing around with some stuff and VC saved it so it would break when I would launch it, but after wiping that and redoing the settings it worked just fine again.

Also: If you're using GeDoSaTo and using something like OBS to capture it seems to crash the game too. So stop using GeDoSaTo if you're streaming.

where exactly is this file located?

Shengar

Not really. Say they have mandatory service for 2 years with a 10 year reserve. 21% of the population doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Plus this game men and women serve, so that's only 10% of the male population, which isn't a lot.
If you pay closely to Welkins initial conversation, you'll notice that it seems every university graduate went through not just regular training, but commander one as well.

Don't forget that another giant on their western border, Atlantic Federation also exist. With two giants at the border, being heavily militarized like that seems not far fetched.

FINALLY! Fixed the Sound!!!

It was a Direct X problem, I was just going through the Games Directory, saw DXSETUP.exe, ran it because why not and it worked!

Now off to play :D

I was late to inform you, but that's SEGA's thing with directx and sound. In other SEGA games, no sound is one of the most common problem that people encountered. Updating the directx will fix it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you pay closely to Welkins initial conversation, you'll notice that it seems every university graduate went through not just regular training, but commander one as well.

Shouldn't be surprising that they'd want university grads to go through officer training.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Started the prologue.

So the Soviet Union is invading Western Europe, and wants Switzerland-Estonia's resources. And I've been arrested by a waifu.

Thanks, fish.

I started this game an hour ago and really enjoying it so far. I'm now at chapter 3 and just did the headquarters introductions. Could I get some help with a few questions I'm having so far? My only points of reference for this genre are the recent XCOM and Fire Emblem games, and those games have made me a little paranoid for screwing up badly with xp distribution and having to use squadmembers I don't like because they are the only ones I leveled.

-As far as I understand, all soldiers of a class level up and gain equipment equally, regardless of you taking them into battles or having them kill enemy soldiers. Is that true? I don't have to worry about soldiers getting left behind in experience or equipment?

-Is the rank you get at the end of a mission only based on turns taken? Do enemy soldiers killed, allied soldiers died, damage done or taken, etc. not affect the ranking at all?

-I look forward to building my own handpicked squad, but are there any particularly awesome/significant recruits I should know about? For example, I'm thinking of picking Edy as her name seems to be on the dlc that is included. Please try not to spoil anything with your answer, I only just started the game!

XiaNaphryz

Started the prologue.

So the Soviet Union is invading Western Europe, and wants Switzerland-Estonia's resources. And I've been arrested by a waifu.

Thanks, fish.

You'll have a whole batch of waifu recruits to choose from soon enough!

Chariot

Started the prologue.

Thanks, fish.
I think the empire is more of a Third Reich ersatz. Andgiven the position on the map and the windmills, Gallia feels more like the Netherlands. imo

I started this game an hour ago and really enjoying it so far. I'm now at chapter 3 and just did the headquarters introductions. Could I get some help with a few questions I'm having so far? My only points of reference for this genre are the recent XCOM and Fire Emblem games, and those games have made me a little paranoid for screwing up badly with xp distribution and having to use squadmembers I don't like because they are the only ones I leveled.

-As far as I understand, all soldiers of a class level up and gain equipment equally, regardless of you taking them into battles or having them kill enemy soldiers. Is that true? I don't have to worry about soldiers getting left behind in experience or equipment?

-Is the rank you get at the end of a mission only based on turns taken? Do enemy soldiers killed, allied soldiers died, damage done or taken, etc. not affect the ranking at all?

-I look forward to building my own handpicked squad, but are there any particularly awesome/significant recruits I should know about? For example, I'm thinking of picking Edy as her name seems to be on the dlc that is included. Please try not to spoil anything with your answer, I only just started the game!
- yes
- yes
- important characters are automatically in your rooster, everything else is to your own taste. Coose your best waifus.

Yes, leveling affects all soldiers of a class equally. Rank is based only on turns, but you really shouldn't worry about it on your first playthrough. As for recruits, Jann. Always Jann.

jett

D-Member
Whoa I finished the Scout Challenge in the Skirmish tab and got an ungodly amount of XP and money. I have to say, saving and reloading in the middle of a battle seems like an unbalanced inclusion. :p

XiaNaphryz

Just pick who you think you'd like. Just realize certain people will like to be paired with certain others and will get a boost if you do have them in your active squad. The opposite can also happen, they can get a stat decrease when with certain others as well. Also, many characters will be good/bad with certain terrain types, which may influence who you use on a particular map. Potentials are unlocked as you level the classes up, and everyone in that class will benefit and get one as they unlock. Also note that certain potentials will need to be unlocked in other ways, you'll figure it out as you progress through the story.

Peff

Whoa I finished the Scout Challenge in the Skirmish tab and got an ungodly amount of XP and money. I have to say, saving and reloading in the middle of a battle seems like an unbalanced inclusion. :p

It was sort of balanced on PS3 because it took a disgusting amount of time both to save and load, like 40-45 seconds each, but it's absurdly fast now. Still, it's gone from the sequels, if they get around to porting them as well.

Top Bottom