• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Grief.exe

I hope this game sales gang busters. Here we have a beloved classic with a quality port to the PC resulting in a community rallying behind it with praise. Everything has been done well and avoided the frequent shit storms surrounding so many other releases as of late. Let's get this to #1 on Steam.

The only issue is Valkyria is launching in the midst of some of the most popular PC games of the year. Civilization, Binding of Isaac, and Football Manager are all top five for the entire year.
On top of games such as Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty with marketing budgets numbering in the hundreds of millions, it's a very competitive time.

I'm impressed with the top 5 on Steam and holding the top spot on GMG for weeks.

I just realized something on the background of one of the screenshoot

I can tell, this is deliberate :p

I assumed Durante was highlighting the lack of aliasing on the chain-link. Objects with transparency are difficult to handle using certain AA solutions. Fortunately, we have downsampling.

Durante

I assumed Durante was highlighting the lack of aliasing on the chain-link. Objects with transparency are difficult to handle using certain AA solutions. Fortunately, we have downsampling.
Actually, in this case I was neither doing that nor pointing out that Edy is lying dead in the background.
Though she deserves it :p

I just selected shots I thought look neat.

They should have released this at 11 AM EST. 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
I have that game on GOG, don't know if it's better or worse than The 12th Guest.

Interesting to hear off-Steam key sales don't contribute to the Steam Top Sellers, since that implies VC's doing well everywhere.

studyguy

Actually, in this case I was neither doing that nor pointing out that Edy is lying dead in the background.

Marina or bust.
marina.jpg

No, sorry, we have to read into this. It's okay to hate Edy, Jann should have gotten his own DLC expansion instead. Even Herbert's more deserving!

I have decided to screw my backlog and forget it exists. Just taking games I really want to play one at a time now. Feels a lot better. VC is now on deck.

Damn you! It is now pre-loading. :D

That kill is made better by the fact it occurred during the enemy phase. I love the "uhhh, wrong turn, I'm gonna go now" reaction that occurred just a little too late.

Oh man, the dumb AI was part of the charm.

Also love the fact the tanks have a massive exposed, glowing weak spot for no reason. Screw lancers, get a shocktrooper in there at millimeter range and spam the shit out of it.

will buy when steam sales

It is already 30% off at GMG!

The only issue is Valkyria is launching in the midst of some of the most popular PC games of the year. Civilization, Binding of Isaac, and Football Manager are all top five for the entire year.
On top of games such as Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty with marketing budgets numbering in the hundreds of millions, it's a very competitive time.

I'm impressed with the top 5 on Steam and holding the top spot on GMG for weeks.

Yeah, you are probably right. November is stacked with releases. Regardless, the game seems to be doing well and by all accounts should be successful. Just hoping it does really well to encourage other pubs to keep it up and be an example for other ports to follow.

oh man, I know that I need to earn
10 medals
to get
Audrey
and a quick way involves having
a squadmate die
, any recommendations this time around?

Pre-ordered, pre-loaded, pre-avatared, pre-thirsting.

This was one of those armful of sleeper greats I just missed; either from not owning the system (Phantom Dust), such bounty letting some slip by (Shadow Hearts 1&2), or hadn't had the system yet (this one and Folklore).

It's time. It's been time.

Oooh boy. I've seen pictures of the character models ripped from the game, outside of their native rendering environment and thrown into Gmod and god they were UGLY. Hah, with that in mind I can't help but feel that I want to see just what VC1 looks like without all of the shaders and filters.

Huh. Well, good art direction is always the best defense against graphics aging out!

oh man, I know that I need to earn
10 medals
to get
Audrey
and a quick way involves having
a squadmate die
, any recommendations this time around?
Good 'ol Splintered Horn. This is always a fun one to attain.

Character models in the old CANVAS engine (before it had cross-hatching and refined lighting/shading) didn't look hot either, you can see them in the art-book.

I've never played this, MickeyKnox here gifted me a copy, saying it's one of the best games I've never played. Looked it up and holy hell, it looks bad ass. Looks like xcom and a rts almost had a baby. Is that the right impression?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I can't pass this up. Great price for a great game and a great port to boot. I hope it does well so more games get ported to PC and dare I hope it does well enough to bring the VC series back to life?

Durante

Wonder how this plays with kb/m
It plays well, once you get used to the keyboard-only navigation in menus and set the mouse sensitivity to 100.

Map screen is keyboard/gamepad only, but you can aim with kb/m when controlling units. Durante says it's quite easy to play this way after some getting used to it.
No, you can use the mouse on the map screen. The menus (book and base) are keyboard-only.

TaroYamada

I've never played this, MickeyKnox here gifted me a copy, saying it's one of the best games I've never played. Looked it up and holy hell, it looks bad ass. Looks like xcom and a rts almost had a baby. Is that the right impression?

The new xcom was actually, in part, inspired by Valk, the devs listed it as an influence in an interview with EuroGamer IIRC.

Well, damn, Top #4, it is now on top of CS:GO. Someone screenshot that. It toppled DayZ, toppled CS:GO, what else is needed? Number one of course but still, fantastic!

I noticed a few things re-playing the game on PC:
  • It's really not that easy, even if you know exactly what you are doing rushing in stupidly can still kill you.
  • It has some surprising interactivity: an anti-tank shot missed my character and hit a nearby tree, and that actually blew off the tree at the trunk and removed it from the battle. I didn't remember the game having that feature. Eat your heart out Crysis!

You know what's crazy? I just realized Crysis came out a year before this game, and Warhead was a month prior. Holy hell.

Top Bottom