• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

I suppose this is one of those things that's a "well of course it does" to PC players but not console players, but- you can save in mid-combat in this game. I know people who played the console version never realized this until after a lot of frustration, especially with the tank level.

Jackpot

Banned
FF13 was ball-achingly boring. How does this compare for someone naturally averse to standard JRPG mechanics of stats and turn-based gameplay?

Or a train with a cannon? A combination of tank + train?

5dora.jpg

Or just go with a train loaded with tanks...

pictures%5C60420%5CIMGP3360%203%206%202007%20WS%20MILITARY%20TANK%20TRAIN.jpg

/thread

Now we are cooking with fire! That's the spirit! :)

Shiokazu

I've been proposing a Hype Tank to match the theme of the game but no support for that :( A train is fine too.

Hype Tank is more likely considering
trains don't have a good track record in this series.

Or a train with a cannon? A combination of tank + train?

5dora.jpg

Or just go with a train loaded with tanks...

pictures%5C60420%5CIMGP3360%203%206%202007%20WS%20MILITARY%20TANK%20TRAIN.jpg

isnt there a huge tank thing that goes on rails in this game? if i am not mistaken;

i just dont remember if it was federation or empire.

we could make just like the wallpaper of everyone posing for a photo sitting on the eldeweiss.

The new xcom was actually, in part, inspired by Valk, the devs listed it as an influence in an interview with EuroGamer IIRC.
Awesome. That is good to know. I loved X-Com
FF13 was ball-achingly boring. How does this compare for someone naturally averse to standard JRPG mechanics of stats and turn-based gameplay?

And this. I bought FF13 used, played it for an hour and just returned it. I couldn't stand the game. Just boring, and unfun with amazing graphics. I'd hate to have something similar to that. Though, by most impressions here, it's nothing like it. At least I hope so.

Battle system's well beyond XIII's level of complexity, and there's a good amount of management to do in-between missions. It's closer to JA2, so to speak.

Skux

Fantastic game. Brings up themes that many games don't dare to touch. Great cast of characters with a suprisingly low cheese factor given its anime-style presentation.

isnt there a huge tank thing that goes on rails in this game? if i am not mistaken;

i just dont remember if it was federation or empire.

we could make just like the wallpaper of everyone posing for a photo sitting on the eldeweiss.

The Equus built by Empire
practically invincible until Welkin and the gang blew up the tracks underneath it, causing it to fall into the canyon river.

Marina or bust.

BROTHER

4386364417_ec11b53450.jpg

You know what's crazy? I just realized Crysis came out a year before this game, and Warhead was a month prior. Holy hell.

Valkyria Chronicles released in a really prime era of gaming back then. Came out the same month as GTA IV, and the same year as Persona 4, MGS4, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3, LittleBigPlanet, Left 4 Dead, and Tales of Vesperia. I remember that 2007-2008 early PS3-360-Wii era being fucking INSANE for game releases

Well, damn, Top #4, it is now on top of CS:GO. Someone screenshot that. It toppled DayZ, toppled CS:GO, what else is needed? Number one of course but still, fantastic!

Top #3 as of now!

valkyriawinsslq9n.png

Good PC ports sell well. Who knew! This is the result when the good words of a solid PC release do the rounds. Almost sells itself.

Why are people using FFXIII as a barometer for how much we're supposed to know they'll like Valkyria? Literally nothing in common other than that they are Japanese. FFXIII isn't even turn based.

Why are people using FFXIII as a barometer for how much we're supposed to know they'll like Valkyria? Literally nothing in common other than that they are Japanese. FFXIII isn't even turn based.

We aren't. Someone unfamiliar with the game was just asking a question because their assumption was that it was similar. Thread straightened that out.

It's a weird sort of hybrid between turn-based strategy and a third-person shooter.

The battle system in a nutshell is:

-You alternate between "player" and "enemly" phases.
-Each phase you get a certain quantity of action points ("medals") that you can spend on moving or buffing your units. You can "pool" medals to an extent by ending your turn without spending all of them.
-When you select a character to move, the game zooms in to play somewhat like a third-person shooter in that most enemies will shoot at you while you move if you enter their line of sight, though you still only get to attack once per action. This works for you when enemies move as well.
-Characters can be moved multiple times in a single turn, but their range decreases each time (so you can't just blow all your medals on rushing one unit to the other side of the map.)

I'm not sure how well that came across, you should probably just watch a video of an early battle.

You still have leveling and equipment, but experience all goes into one pool and is then "spent" on leveling up classes rather than characters (so every scout will be the exact same level, same for shocktroopers/snipers/lancers,) and equipment upgrades are also purchased per class. It's not a game where you're going to spend forever in the menus upgrading/leveling/customizing your characters- the idea is that you upgrade each of the four classes evenly and choose your team based on which characters you like.

Skux

Accuracy is everything IMO. My scouts turned into legendary snipers by mid game and could soften up the front lines before my troopers and lancers even got to the battle.

subwilde

Ok I just bought this. Don't know much about it besides a quick few minutes of someone playing it. All signs show I'm in for a treat :)

Sentenza

The Hype Tank Train is strong here! I guess word is spreading around indeed.
Maybe, but it's mostly that the game is getting closer to release.
It will probably go straight on the top of the Steam top sellers tomorrow.

Preorders rarely set charts on fire on digital distribution services, because people are a lot more incline to spend money into something they will be able to play as soon as the download is completed.

Jimrpg

Thanks for the reminder - almost forgot to preorder and get 10% off!

Its $11 here in Malaysia!

Looking forward to finishing this game finally, though I am a bit sad I probably won't go back to the PS3 version now.

VC is nothing like FF13 in nearly every conceivable way.

It's in the Final Fantasy tactics and Fire emblem zone. Except more fun!

Usobuko

Banned
Thanks for the reminder - almost forgot to preorder and get 10% off!

Its $11 here in Malaysia!

Looking forward to finishing this game finally, though I am a bit sad I probably won't go back to the PS3 version now.

You meant us dollar after conversion?

One of the best thing in steam was the addition / acceptance of other country currency. Make some things noticeably cheaper.

Jimrpg

VC is completely different. The only similarities is that its turn based. Here you have to position your troops around the battlefield, planning where and who you want to attack. In FF13 you have to think of what type of attack to hit the enemy and which one to hit first.

Added bonus is that the art style is really nice on VC.

I like both, though I like VC a lot more. I certainly understand the gripes about the corridor gaming of FF13.

Just look at it...I mean damn. It's gorgeous. Easily one of the greatest games of all time. Everything about it is just right. Good pacing, notable and memorable villains, an eclectic cast of relatable heroes, nostalgia, a competent and well told love story, tragedy, etc... It has everything and you owe it to the betterment of yourself as a human being to experience it.

Shengar

You meant us dollar after conversion?

One of the best thing in steam was the addition / acceptance of other country currency. Make some things noticeably cheaper.

#NotAllGames though. Some publisher try to match it up with other region, making it just slightly cheaper after dollar conversion like 2K Games titles. Some become asshole like Ubisoft making it more expensive after dollar conversion.

But I'm glad that most let it at default regional price :p

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I beat this game on PS3 like two years ago however i may double dip in the future, also i remember this game being anime as fuck and not in a good way, i think i remember certain story issues handled not very well.

Yuterald

Fart, I said I wasn't going to replay this game right away, but it's pre-loaded now and the game's on my mind again and I sort of can't stop thinking about it. I just re-started a fresh save file for Xenoblade too because of the new Wii U game footage. I ain't got time for all this shit!

Top Bottom