• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

xBladeM6x

So how long before we stop using spoiler tags?

I am trying to figure out cool ways to use shamrock. How mainly depends on the Mission. BTW, are R&D Upgrades for tanks/weapons tied only to Story advancement?

Pretty sure you can do that in VC1. At least, I think I have.

Unless I'm mistaken, they do get blasted out, then warped back to where they were initially.

McNum

Unless I'm mistaken, they do get blasted out, then warped back to where they were initially.
I knocked enemies out of the flag-capture zone with grenades in the PS3 version. They do get bounced around, you just have to land the grenade pretty close, but not on top of them.

Sectus

Yeah, I played that way in XCOM, and I think it ended up being a better experience. The missions in VC, as far as I can tell, go on for considerably longer, so I think I'll have to end up saving mid-operation more than a few times. It's really the speed of the animations that's driving me to save, because in Fire Emblem, with animations off, the game was fast enough that I didn't mind doing the same thing repeatedly.

Yeah, some animations feel too slow, or should have been skippable with a button. I think dialogue boxes might be the biggest offender. Many of them are slow to appear and disappear.

wrowa

Also, what's everybody's opinion on mid-operation saving? As a FE vet, I feel like it's cheating, but some of these fights go on forever, and the slow animations and zoom in/out transitions don't help. I think I'll try and limit myself to one, maybe two saves per operation, unless it gets a hell of a lot harder later.

I didn't realize until chapter 5 that saving mid-mission is even a possibility. However, I just finished chapter 7 and I saved a dozen times during that mission. It's so long and painful, I'm not sure if I would have continued playing the game if I died there at the end.

Chariot

The worst offender of slow animations was in the final fight.
Goddamnit, Maximilian, just WALK. The battle itself would've take only half the time if he weren't slendering ariund like that.

Peff

Yeah, some animations feel too slow, or should have been skippable with a button. I think dialogue boxes might be the biggest offender. Many of them are slow to appear and disappear.

That's one of the biggest improvements of the PSP sequels, you can choose to fast-forward or even entirely skip enemy turns. It would have been nice to get the option here, but I guess it would have been too much work.

Volodja

Oh lord even with the 60fps bug I'm cheesing the last few missions gloriously.
After Aliciaing Chapter 15 in its entirety I just finished chapter 17 in 2 turns by just
fielding like 3 Lancers and then running the Edelweiss behind Jaeger while taking off the last pieces of his armor.
After that I just 2-shot his engine.

No, get a coffee.

Aw, that's a bummer. There's been some situations where it would be awfully nice to have.

Age of Wonders 3 solved this problem wonderfully - making it one-click to speed up movement/attack animations. For a game revolving around moving and attacking it is a valuable, if easily overlooked, feature to have.

Nzyme32

So I have only just properly started getting into the game, and choosing troops and what not. After about 4 hours of play though, despite choosing what I thought to be the most competent troops by their abilities, I now have a practically all female set of troops.

That awkward moment when I realise I am the anime Muammar Gaddafi

gaddafi20five20virgins20amazon20bodyguard_thumb5B25D.jpg

So I have only just properly started getting into the game, and choosing troops and what not. After about 4 hours of play though, despite choosing what I thought to be the most competent troops by their abilities, I now have a practically all female set of troops.

That awkward moment when I realise I am the anime Muammar Gaddafi

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33/globalmedia23/gaddafi20five20virgins20amazon20bodyguard_thumb5B25D.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

There's a particular engineer that is perfect for you. I hope you saw her!

Jawmuncher

Just beat chapter 7, man that was tough. Glad to see that battle matched its reputation.

Just got there myself, just saw the set up for it alone and decided i'll get to it tomorrow.
Not looking forward to it to be honest. Especially since i didn't by the order retreat.

Ugh, didn't have enough XP to buy the Retreat order and now it's not coming up again, so that's awesome. Also, I managed to get Ramona killed in chapter FIVE. Somehow I've managed to become really awful at this game.

Sectus

Updated my VCtool. Fixed support for textures in some MLX files.

Download: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCtool.rar
Download source: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/source/VCtool.rar

Usage:
- Drag'n'drop files onto the extract.bat and replace.bat batch files in Windows explorer.
OR
- Use it in command prompt (ie, "vctool -x valcA02aD_h.mlx" to extract, "vctool -r valcA02aD_h.mlx" to replace)

This is probably the final version of the tool, unless I discover something is not working.

WOW, Rosie is god-tier! I got to the very end of mission 6, ended up really screwing myself over. I had Alicia sneaking in to the outpost you need to capture, coming up the right side of the map during the sandstorm, and wasn't paying attention to her stamina so she got stranded right next to a tank. Next turn, BOOM she's dead. So next turn I have Jann going up the right side, takes out two of the three tanks, before he's out of AP and rockets. Then I have Rosie sneaking up the right side, takes out a red Shocktrooper in the trenches. I think "Man, I bet I can rush to the outpost THIS turn!"

She ends up getting stranded RIGHT next to the sandbags on my last CP (not close enough to duck next to them). I don't have another grenade to take out the last dude at the outpost, and I wasted an attack on him that just gave me counter-attack damage. I'm thinking I'm fucked. There's tank right next to the outpost, there's a shocktrooper in the sandbags, and then a sniper spawns in just to rub salt in the wound.

Shocktrooper shoots at Rosie, she's down to about 60% health. Then the tank comes in, moves around A LOT, then finally fires a mortar at Rosie. She survives with 10 HP! Then the sniper that spawned in runs behind sandbags, takes a shot at Rosie to finish her off, and she ducks! WOOHOOO YOU GO GIRL! Then he takes another shot, I'm thinking "Well fuck I guess I can only get so lucky," and she ducks a second time! WTF! Had Jann fire a rocket at the shocktrooper to get him out of cover, order him to be sniped, Rosie runs up to kill the shitty sniper (he would've been too ashamed to live after that), then capture the outpost. Holy shit, I love this game.

btw what's the deal with turrets on tanks? Sometimes they don't shoot at me, sometimes they cover an arc in front of them, once I had them shoot at me when I was behind the tank? And the Edelweiss doesn't seem to shoot at anything?

edit:
Updated my VCtool. Fixed support for textures in some MLX files.

Download: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCtool.rar
Download source: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/source/VCtool.rar

Awesome!

Bombless

btw what's the deal with turrets on tanks? Sometimes they don't shoot at me, sometimes they cover an arc in front of them, once I had them shoot at me when I was behind the tank? And the Edelweiss doesn't seem to shoot at anything?

Some tanks have MGs both in front and in the back (I think it's the medium Empire tanks). The Edelweiss MG shoots in a front 120° arc I believe.

Edit : Rosie is love.

spiritfox

Medium Tanks have a rear machine gun, while Lights only have a frontal one. They only fire their MGs when you get within the firing arcs, same with the Edelweiss, but the range isn't very far.

I went back to the graveyard and he just said I have nothing to teach you.
How can I buy it now?

Apparently he might offer it again in a future chapter or after a skirmish. I don't know if you can grind skirmishes to get an order offered again, or if it only works after you beat battles for the first time. As my last post indicated, I'm about as clueless as you are.

Random aside: for the longest time I was hitting the Square button to enter target mode instead of R1 and almost screwed up several turns as a result. Now I know why: Valkyria Chronicles 3 (and probably 2) use Square to enter target mode. Also, oh man does VC3 look awful after downscaled 1080p VC1.

Bombless

Fun story, I found out the hard way about the Medium tank back MG. Chapter 10, I send Aika on the
railcar
to capture the first enemy camp. I kill the guy camping the flag from above then bait the tank with the Edelweiss so it moves forward. Once it passes the
elevator
I laugh to myself and send her towards the flag...only to get torn to shreds by MG60FPS fire.

I wasn't even mad. Managed to salvage the situation too.

Jawmuncher

Apparently he might offer it again in a future chapter or after a skirmish. I don't know if you can grind skirmishes to get an order offered again, or if it only works after you beat battles for the first time. As my last post indicated, I'm about as clueless as you are.

Random aside: for the longest time I was hitting the Square button to enter target mode instead of R1 and almost screwed up several turns as a result. Now I know why: Valkyria Chronicles 3 (and probably 2) use Square to enter target mode. Also, oh man does VC3 look awful after downscaled 1080p VC1.

He's offering me nothing but sniper support. Ugh guess I gotta buy it

Jawmuncher

185px-Aged_gentleman.png

I HOPE YOU END UP IN ONE OF THOSE GRAVES OLD MAN

I have done about 10 Skirmishes and yet he won't offer me retreat.
I even bought Sniper Support to get him to shut up.
Now he has nothing to offer me he says.....he must be senile.

The distinctive art style of this game benefits tremendously from high resolution. It's all solid lines and high contrast solid colors, and I remember the PS3 version being in 720p having no AA used at all and the jaggies were so sharp you could cut yourself to death with them. Seeing the game in 4K is really amazing, the beautiful artwork really shines with the massive resolution upgrade. They didn't even need to upgrade the assets, it's just that amazing to look at. It's so sad how Sega squandered this franchise the way it did after this original game which has quietly become a classic and remains one of the best games I played last gen.

Haunted

185px-Aged_gentleman.png

He offered me retreat the second time I visited.

Bought it just for the sake of completion and never used it since.

Squishy3

185px-Aged_gentleman.png

He won't even offer me sniper support now, because I didn't have the EXP to buy it when I first visited him. What an asshole.

Corgi

Banned
surely this has been answered before, but how the hell do you get the tank up the ramp for "West Bank of Vasel City" mission?

I don't recall the tank being this stubborn to go up inclines on the ps3 version.

Falk

that puzzling face
The distinctive art style of this game benefits tremendously from high resolution. It's all solid lines and high contrast solid colors, and I remember the PS3 version being in 720p having no AA used at all and the jaggies were so sharp you could cut yourself to death with them. Seeing the game in 4K is really amazing, the beautiful artwork really shines with the massive resolution upgrade. They didn't even need to upgrade the assets, it's just that amazing to look at. It's so sad how Sega squandered this franchise the way it did after this original game which has quietly become a classic and remains one of the best games I played last gen.

Honestly, even more than the resolution bump is how much better the game looks at 60FPS. It's full of quick camera angle changes (especially zooming into/out of third person) and a cursor, two things that benefit the most from not being limited by 30FPS.

It really is one of those games where when people say they don't see a difference, you're convinced they're either trolling or very unfortunately genetically condemned or something.

Jawmuncher

surely this has been answered before, but how the hell do you get the tank up the ramp for "West Bank of Vasel City" mission?

I don't recall the tank being this stubborn to go up inclines on the ps3 version.

Last I recall if you're playing higher than 60FPS the Tank won't go up the incline.
Though I did have a issue earlier in the desert trying to back up on a incline and i'm at 60fps.

----------------------

Well I give up on that old man.
Thankfully with all that grinding I should be good to go with the Chapter 7 mission.

Has the sound bug been fixed? Putting my stuff at 48000 did nothing for me. Any patch or new solution? The gun sounds being muffled as hell, I mean.

Falk

that puzzling face
They fixed the sample playback rate issue which was affecting pitch/speed of many sound effects. They also 'fixed' some 'volumes', although like you've noticed, positional sounds (including guns) still seem a tad quiet.

I set music volume to somewhere between 75-80% and it's a better balance for the most part in the interim. I can live with cutscenes suddenly being noticeably louder for now.

Holy crap, Cezary. Not only are you a racist but now you're a acrophobic? Get the fuck out of my squad.

Aw yes. Got Marina and Vyse for my troubles for dealing with the bullshit that is chapter 8.

Whats the deal with weapon upgrades? Are available upgrades only based on how much you use the weapons themselves?

Falk

that puzzling face
Good lord, actually playing the Expert skirmishes with Ruhm is hilarious.

Literal Rambo. Only complaint I have is how enemy interception fire seems to know how to specifically aim at radiators if you face away from them, and your dude with Ruhm doesn't.

dkoy

Just finished Behind her Blue Flame.
Damnit game why'd you make us look through an enemy ace's POV. Now I feel kinda bad for killing Oswald the Iron just because he's an ace. Also giving the player Ruhm seems kind of broken. Does it have the same stats as when Selvaria uses it?

Also, what's everybody's opinion on mid-operation saving? As a FE vet, I feel like it's cheating, but some of these fights go on forever, and the slow animations and zoom in/out transitions don't help. I think I'll try and limit myself to one, maybe two saves per operation, unless it gets a hell of a lot harder later.

The missions in this are significantly longer than in Fire Emblem or other games of this genre. Mid-missions saves are not cheating, not unless you are using them to save and reload constantly.

Just finished Behind her Blue Flame.
Damnit game why'd you make us look through an enemy ace's POV. Now I feel kinda bad for killing Oswald the Iron just because he's an ace. Also giving the player Ruhm seems kind of broken. Does it have the same stats as when Selvaria uses it?
Yes, and it is broken.

Top Bottom