• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Durante

I'm playing at 144 FPS right now and the Eidelweiss couldn't make it up the ramp in the Ch3 battle for some reason. Does changing the framerate affect physics calculations in this game?

bannerx7p3b.png

Graphics Mods:
Updates:
  • Some people are reporting sporadic crashes, which are fixed by disabling the Steam overlay for the game
  • Currently, there appear to be some physics issues with tank movement on some maps at high framerates (above 60 FPS). The workaround is to limit the framerate to 60. (Or don't use the tank like a pro :p)

Vashzaron

IMO found it interesting to discover that running/walking speed and firing speed is directly tied to the Model/Animation files, Like not on the game's data for the Unit or Gun it self. Found that out when messing with file swaping a while back.

Is it possible to edit the subtitles in this game? I'm thinking if I ever want to replay this game it would be in the original Japanese audio but the subtitles only match the dub though.

Dario ff

Banned
I guess someone would have to look at the map file format. Is there any data about it anywhere?
Do you mean the geometry or the unit layout files? And do you know which the relevant files (extensions) are?

I should probably beat the game first lol.

Falk

that puzzling face
So I edited my save to get normally unobtainable units... you know what I went for of course.

Chapter 14 Spoilers(? I mean there's a glimpse of "it" in the intro if you pay attention.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOfoP1wZrWQ

If the Valkyria's die or try to crouch or do something they don't have an animation for the game will simply softlock, I wonder if there's a way to fix that now on PC somehow. (Because of that I should of set their HP to absurd limits but eh wouldn't have that dramatic ending in the video otherwise. Lol)

I'll prob release a guide on how to do this later. It requires a lot of hex editing tho, especially if you don't want to replace characters. Or/And I'll just release my already edited save of having
Valkyria Alicia / Valkyria Selvaria (DLC) / Selvaria (DLC)

This is all for fun of course, if you want to do this for cheating purposes.... eh.

Can we all take a moment to appreciate how freaking epic the final boss music is
and how much some of the other tracks are in need of a modern touch up to fully take advantage of how far sample library tech has come in the past 5 years.

Do you mean the geometry or the unit layout files? And do you know which the relevant files (extensions) are?

I should probably beat the game first lol.

Even if nothing else I'm extremely curious as to how the engine actually draws the penciled map. Not just the outlines - there's a bunch of almost-texturish details on the geometry.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is there any software that allows you to key-toggle a framerate limit? Might be useful for this game. I know ENB has that built in, anything else like that?

Wavebossa

Tanks still going crazy at 60fps, but not nearly as crazy as 72 or 144. :(

So far, I love this game. Never played it ever on ps3. Bought this based on GAF recommendations alone and I am not disappoint. 4k at 72fps not a single frame dropped (770gtx sli, 4770 i7)

Its kinda hard tho. I wasted so much exp leveling up snipers and honestly they aren't as useful as I thought. It seems you cant win fights with just 1 OP class, but shocktroopers are the closest thing to that.

My 4 hour assemsent.

Chariot

Aww fuck. I just now finished all reports. Should've played them in my first run where they were placed. They have important character development for all main characters and are fun little missions that don't take too much brain power. Would've been a good breather. Well, hindsight.

That said, they drove something in that annoyed me already in the main storyline
Darcsens. I get that they are the people with the short stick that were abused by the Valkyrur, but honestly, give them some kind of edge. All darcsen people we saw were oppressed, but the sweetest persons (well ok, the original royal family was pretty shitty, granted, btu that was literally ages ago). It would've been nice to have some criminal darcsen or one with a really awful personality appeared to drive the point in that darcsens are not a different race, but people like everybody else with good and bad traits. It really killed the mood for me when Rosie revealed that her hate for darcsens originated in people burning darcsen houses and accidentally burning her family with them. I mean, really, a actual darcsen who killed them would've been better, with Rosie seeing that there are darcsen criminals like there are other criminals, but that she projected this criminal on all the poor darcsens who are indeed not criminal.
They're too perfect.
Tanks still going crazy at 60fps, but not nearly as crazy as 72 or 144. :(
Do they? I have sometimes trouble turning around especially at slopes and the Shamrock is turning sometimes crazily fast in the wrong direction.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is there any software that allows you to key-toggle a framerate limit? Might be useful for this game. I know ENB has that built in, anything else like that?

If you want a brute-force approach off-top-of-head, you could record with fraps and frame-limit to 30 when recording

:lol

Wavebossa

]Do they? I have sometimes trouble turning around especially at slopes and the Shamrock is turning sometimes crazily fast in the wrong direction.

Yeah same issue i'm having. Before I know it I've wasted all my AP and i'm facing the wrong way.

Vroom Vroom... :(

Chariot

Yeah same issue i'm having. Before I know it I've wasted all my AP and i'm facing the wrong way.

Vroom Vroom... :(
Yeah, it's kind of annoying, but at least not gamebreaking. Funny thing is, that it also works in two directions. I just played a hilly report mission where the enemy desperately tried to drive a tank up a raising, just uselessly driving on the place.

Valkyria. Three.
SEGAAAAAAAA

Volodja

Yeah, it's kind of annoying, but at least not gamebreaking. Funny thing is, that it also works in two directions. I just played a hilly report mission where the enemy desperately tried to drive a tank up a raising, just uselessly driving on the place.
I think I know exactly what mission that is.
There's three tanks and one of them wastes like 4 turns being an idiot on an incline.
Another one goes forward then starts doing the same dance on another hill.
It was pitiful, so I put them out of their respective miseries pretty fast.

Dreadful mission otherwise, all those tanks and units make the enemy turns take forever.

Durante

That should be a simple one. What's your problem with it?

The way it works is this:
Get a few shocktroopers out, wait until you can get one or more of them behind the vehicle, and then spend all your saved up CP shooting and taking it out in that same turn. If you want to make it even more trivial, use the "defend" order when running up to it, and equip one of the looted enemy mags which have more mechanical damage.

It is totally possible to alt tab, change the framelimit in rivatuner and go back in game. I have done it in VC to test.

If you could just get that down to some windows level script it would be easy mode.

Volodja

Still cant beat the armored vehicle Princess mission. This is getting fucking annoying.
The way I did it.
In the upper spawn place put a Shocktropper, in the 2 in the middle 2 scouts.
The one of the lower left I used for Largo for the 1 cp, the one of the lower right I put a sniper.
Turn one kill the scout that is in the alley directly north of your shocktrooper, hide the shocktrooper.
Take one scout, run him to the same alley and kill the lancer.
Run the other scout as well.
Keep 'em hidden behind the boxes.
Kill the sniper on the roof with your sniper.
Move the tank to close the way.
Turn after kill the other infantry unit if he pops up anywhere, close up the second alley and move largo on the rooftop north of him (I think it's north) so he won't die later.
When the armored car goes past you start moving your infantry behind it leading with shocktrooper near the radiator and then shoot, then move your scout close to the trooper and shoot so you have a team attack, same for the other scout, with ever cp walk a bit further up with the shocktrooper while keeping in range of team attacks.
When the reinforcements show up, kill the ones on the north side with your sniper on the right, keep doing the same with the rest of your infantry, you will have to move the tank south to block another alley.

Chariot

Dreadful mission otherwise, all those tanks and units make the enemy turns take forever.
After the finale nothing can shock me anymore.

Still cant beat the armored vehicle Princess mission. This is getting fucking annoying.
Read more spoilers the bigger the despair gets

Tip:
You don't have to do what the mission recommends. Just think that your goal isn't to do what the story hints you to do. It's to destroy the car without explosives before it reaches the harbor. Nothing else.

Tip:
You can't use explosives, buy you can and must attack the radiator. This was something I was at first not sure about. But you can attack the radiator with normal non-explosive weapons and destroying it won't explode the car.

1 or 2 Round win:
Deploy Largo and Alicia somewhwere on the map. Set Rosy in the north give her caution or defense (caution is of course better, so use that if you have that). Follow the street north, kill one of the dudes if you want, since you can't reach the armored car in time. Then proceed to run behind the car (with caution this shouldn't be of any problem especially if her potential awakens). Then shoot the car from behind. If you're not high level you may not destroy it in one round, just follow it with Rosy and destroy the radiator.

Hey guys I am absolutely loving Valkyria Chronicles! This game is definitely in my all time top 5 for sure! I'm having one issue though, clothing textures on some character models get stretched out and float around in weird places. Some examples of this are Calvaro's eye-patch, Maximillian's crown and Marina's shoulder lapel. I've looked for a fix but I could not find anything. Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know a fix?

Dimmle

That said, they drove something in that annoyed me already in the main storyline

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance has a much more nuanced take on the whole racism allegory that can often be so arduously realized in SRPGs. I completely forgot VC had that plotline.

Seanspeed

Banned
The way I did it.
In the upper spawn place put a Shocktropper, in the 2 in the middle 2 scouts.
The one of the lower left I used for Largo for the 1 cp, the one of the lower right I put a sniper.
Turn one kill the scout that is in the alley directly north of your shocktrooper, hide the shocktrooper.
Take one scout, run him to the same alley and kill the lancer.
Run the other scout as well.
Keep 'em hidden behind the boxes.
Kill the sniper on the roof with your sniper.
Move the tank to close the way.
Turn after kill the other infantry unit if he pops up anywhere, close up the second alley and move largo on the rooftop north of him (I think it's north) so he won't die later.
When the armored car goes past you start moving your infantry behind it leading with shocktrooper near the radiator and then shoot, then move your scout close to the trooper and shoot so you have a team attack, same for the other scout, with ever cp walk a bit further up with the shocktrooper while keeping in range of team attacks.
When the reinforcements show up, kill the ones on the north side with your sniper on the right, keep doing the same with the rest of your infantry, you will have to move the tank south to block another alley.
qDidn't think of trying any team attack stuff. Also didn't realize Largo gave a CP? Problem I have is that I get shocktroopers that keep popping up and killing certain characters. And then I have to waste turns making sure they get saved. And I cant ever see the sniper with my sniper. They can shoot me but I cant shoot them. And the shocktroopers have such pathetic AP that I can usually only keep one trailing behind the tank.

Am I right that the tank is basically only useful for two turns?

Seanspeed

Banned

Read more spoilers the bigger the despair gets

Tip:
You don't have to do what the mission recommends. Just think that your goal isn't to do what the story hints you to do. It's to destroy the car without explosives before it reaches the harbor. Nothing else.

Tip:
You can't use explosives, buy you can and must attack the radiator. This was something I was at first not sure about. But you can attack the radiator with normal non-explosive weapons and destroying it won't explode the car.

1 or 2 Round win:
Deploy Largo and Alicia somewhwere on the map. Set Rosy in the north give her caution or defense (caution is of course better, so use that if you have that). Follow the street north, kill one of the dudes if you want, since you can't reach the armored car in time. Then proceed to run behind the car (with caution this shouldn't be of any problem especially if her potential awakens). Then shoot the car from behind. If you're not high level you may not destroy it in one round, just follow it with Rosy and destroy the radiator.
It seems take about 15+ 'turns' with a shocktrooper right behind the vehicle to take it out. Not even close to doing it in one.... :/

Volodja

That mission took me way to long to complete between his walk and the tries needed to get the right member composition.
It wasn't even hard it was just annoying. The stupid armored towers were the worst with my lancers missing them at the worst times making Maximillian recover like half of the damage I did to him the turn before..

Volodja

qDidn't think of trying any team attack stuff. Also didn't realize Largo gave a CP? Problem I have is that I get shocktroopers that keep popping up and killing certain characters. And then I have to waste turns making sure they get saved. And I cant ever see the sniper with my sniper. They can shoot me but I cant shoot them. And the shocktroopers have such pathetic AP that I can usually only keep one trailing behind the tank.

Am I right that the tank is basically only useful for two turns?
I used the tank to block the 2 northern alleys, then again to block one further south.
I think I also shot 2 dudes with it, amazing contribution!

Edit: and I double posted instead of editing, welp.

Chariot

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance has a much more nuanced take on the whole racism allegory that can often be so arduously realized in SRPGs. I completely forgot VC had that plotline.
Oh cool. Maybe I should actually play any Fire Emblem. Hopefully Sega is doing VC3 too, then.

It seems take about 15+ 'turns' with a shocktrooper right behind the vehicle to take it out. Not even close to doing it in one.... :/
Wut.
It took me about 5-6 shots by Rosie. Have you the best available weapons equipped? If you need that many deploy too additional Shocks at the center camp to help.

]That mission took me way to long to complete between his walk and the tries needed to get the right member composition.
It wasn't even hard it was just annoying. The stupid armored towers were the worst with my lancers missing them at the worst times making Maximillian recover like half of the damage I did to him the turn before..[/SPOILER]
I know your pain.

Still stuck on this fucking mission. Got my tank one shot (facing frontal) his rear canon. WTF.

I hate this fucking game. I just don't get it. I plan shit I'm flawless and taking his guns out and then he one shot me out of randomly fucking nowhere

Falk

that puzzling face
Inb4 128 gigs of VC recordings just from framerate toggling :(

Well, considering you're not actually going to USE the footage, you could set it to 1/2 size, 30fps isn't too bad. Also alt-tabbing to hit delete once in a while is still faster than saving, exiting, booting up the Config tool, changing framerate, restarting the game, loading, and then back again when you've succesfully crawled the tank up an incline.

Of course there's better solutions than fraps though!

Seanspeed

Banned
I think Rosie alone got the job done using 5 CPs or so. Aim at the radiator.
Is Rosie like 10x as strong as the other shocktroopers or something?

And what other weapons am I supposed to be using? :/ I dont have any options except the minor differences between the first branching path.

Seanspeed, remember that you can save CP across turns.
I never have any CP to spare in this battle. I didn't realize that Largo could give me another one, though, so that will help.

Wavebossa

Well, considering you're not actually going to USE the footage, you could set it to 1/2 size, 30fps isn't too bad. Also alt-tabbing to hit delete once in a while is still faster than saving, exiting, booting up the Config tool, changing framerate, restarting the game, loading, and then back again when you've succesfully crawled the tank up an incline.

Of course there's better solutions than fraps though!

Yeah I agree, its not a bad idea at all. Just dont set your capture drive to an SSD :)

Seanspeed, remember that you can save CP across turns.

OOOOOO really??? So if i don't use 5 i should have 5 more next turn?

Durante

No. Did you run up right to the radiator? Do you have at least the most upgraded shocktrooper weapon available to you?

It shouldn't take more than 4 or 5 CP to take out the vehicle with point-blank shots at the radiator.

I never have any CP to spare in this battle.
You don't need to do anything for the first turn. Just wait for it to come to you, run up a shocktrooper (with "defend"), and let loose with all your CP. Bam, instant victory.

Seanspeed

Banned
No. Did you run up right to the radiator? Do you have at least the most upgraded shocktrooper weapon available to you?

It shouldn't take more than 4 or 5 CP to take out the vehicle with point-blank shots at the radiator.
Yea, right up to the radiator. Does very little damage each turn.

And I'm pretty sure I've got as upgraded a machine gun as I can right now.

And what other weapons am I supposed to be using? :/ I dont have any options except the minor differences between the first branching path.

I never have any CP to spare in this battle. I didn't realize that Largo could give me another one, though, so that will help.

If Rosie is any stronger than other shocktroopers she's only marginally so.

You can equip weapons looted from enemy aces (if you've killed any). These are individual equips rather than class-wide equips like the standard weapons.

Alicia, Rosie, and Largo should be deployed every time even in situations you would not use them, as all of them provide extra CP.

OOOOOO really??? So if i don't use 5 i should have 5 more next turn?

That's correct.

Yea, right up to the radiator. Does very little damage each turn.

And I'm pretty sure I've got as upgraded a machine gun as I can right now.

It is possible to be too close to the radiator, in that your gunshots will actually clip through it. Just make sure your aiming reticle is entirely contained by the radiator, and don't get any closer than that.

Seanspeed

Banned
You don't need to do anything for the first turn. Just wait for it to come to you. run up a shocktrooper (with "defend"), and let loose with all your CP. Bam, instant victory.
Tried that. But the troops that come along, along with the vehicle itself, kill my guys. Trying to approach from the side is suicide. I've gotta hide any potential attackers and wait for it to move past my position.

You can equip weapons looted from enemy aces (if you've killed any). These are individual equips rather than class-wide equips like the standard weapons.
How do I do that? I thought I might be able to before, but I could never figure it out. When I go to the equip screen, it only ever shows me the one weapon.

Seanspeed

Banned
It is possible to be too close to the radiator, in that your gunshots will actually clip through it. Just make sure your aiming reticle is entirely contained by the radiator, and don't get any closer than that.
No, thats not it. I'm not like literally standing on it or anything. I'm like 3-10ft away in most cases.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I had another situation where my lancers were doing pitiful damage to tanks. Like 50 a shot, head on. I figured the tanks were just ultra-armored against lancers. Is there something I'm doing wrong then?

No, thats not it. I'm not like literally standing on it or anything. I'm like 3-10ft away in most cases.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I had another situation where my lancers were doing pitiful damage to tanks. Like 50 a shot, head on. I figured the tanks were just ultra-armored against lancers. Is there something I'm doing wrong then?

Try using the anti armour damage order (if you have it)

I beat that chapter on turn 2 with just Alicia

deploy Alicia in the top spot and Rosie and largo anywhere for CP. Turn 1 use defense boost and armored attack boost on Alicia. Run her up the path she starts at and kill the scout and Lancet then leave her there and end turn. Next turn run Alicia west then south to the ass of the armored car. Repeatedly select Alicia and shoot the radiator. Took 5 or 6 selects and I still had cp left when it dies

Durante

That should never happen AFAIK.

I feel like something is wrong with my game or something. You guys seem to have different weapons, super powerful shocktroopers, different orders, etc. WTF :/
The game does have a bit of that Demon's Souls thing going where the better you are doing the easier it gets. And the other way around. But what you write above sounds more like a bug.

Volodja

My troopers haven't ever actually done any decent damage to radiators either, actually.
Like each shot is about 2 to 5 damage or something silly like that using either the latest weapon available or even the Royal ones.
And the attack boost for anti-armor didn't help anything either.

Coppanuva

Man I cannot get past Chapter 8a, any advice?

Having trouble when I get to Ty the Immortal and the scout, they both spot me and I can't take out Ty and the scout at the same turn, and if I don't either Ty shoots me down, or the scout grenades me and kills me. Any tips? Do I just need to burn a turn to stock up on moves so I can get rid of them both?

Volodja

I beat the armored car in one go, damage order + Rosie = death to all armor
I beat that chapter on turn 2 with just Alicia

deploy Alicia in the top spot and Rosie and largo anywhere for CP. Turn 1 use defense boost and armored attack boost on Alicia. Run her up the path she starts at and kill the scout and Lancet then leave her there and end turn. Next turn run Alicia west then south to the ass of the armored car. Repeatedly select Alicia and shoot the radiator. Took 5 or 6 selects and I still had cp left when it dies
See, this for me would be impossible, completely.
Even antiarmor boosted units would never take down that car without turn upon turn of shooting them right in the radiator.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
See, this for me would be impossible, completely.
Even antiarmor boosted units would never take down that car without turn upon turn of shooting them right in the radiator.
That's just not right, can you take a video? Sounds like something is majorly mess up with your game

Top Bottom