• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Falk

that puzzling face
So that is what that line of Ellet dialogue means. I never knew.

Yeah, I think the way the game is framed is a stroke of genius. You're essentially experiencing the Gallian Front through her eyes. Which 'explains' everything from why you can e.g. visit the HQ out of order during NG+, why paying her to write about Squad 7 unlocks character episodes, and how units unlock their hidden potential when she interviews them, etc. since all that directly affects what's written in the book. A stylized retelling and not 100% exactly how the actual events played out. (... on the other hand, that opens up the headcanon that the anime was actually what happened. Oh God)

It's about as flexible a mechanic for suspension of disbelief re: narrative as the early Assassin's Creed games, where doing something out of character would 'desync' you from what the genetic memories actually remembered.

Vashzaron

Not sure where going with this. Just found it amusing Macross got brought up here and remembered there's a song that involves shouting "Valkyria" several times. Haha.

On topic, for those who don't like waiting on enemy turns for whatever reason and want them sped up do know you can use cheat engine's "speed hack" function on a hotkey. Works very well, you can set the speed up you want even.

Baha

Up to chapter 11 on NG+, need to get the remaining Ace weapons and fill out the rest of the Personnel entries for my squad. That leaves A rank skirmishes and the DLC. I did a 100% run on PS3 before the DLC (I bought it but never played it) so it'll be interesting trying them out for the first time. I might've done the HARD EX DLC but I can't remember.

Looking at the credits, they only needed 4 developers for the port? I guess that's not surprising considering most of the work would just be programming and most of the code doesn't need to be touched, but that makes me think the success of this port will lead to more PC ports of various games, rather than more VC related stuff.

I'd love to see a VC4, or upgraded versions of VC2/3, but those would be really high budget projects compared to the VC1 port (they could do direct ports of VC2/3, but I doubt that's likely and I doubt many people would want that anyway).

This is why I keep mentioning big, big sales being required for VC2/3 or a VC4. Little Stone is a tiny company and yeah, they mostly did code work and probably got some help from SEGA Europe for the smattering of UI asset work required (largely the button prompts). VC3 in this engine or especially a full-blown VC4 would be multi-million dollar affairs, and VC1PC is going to need to sell well enough to justify that kind of expenditure. (And given how it's slowed down a bit, I'm beginning to think that's less likely unless it has a truly killer Christmas.)

Having Little Stone handle more ports is a much more likely proposition.

By the way, anyone know what happened to the patch? There's been radio silence since the initial release in December and the first update in January. I think the DLC and various ancillary sections (like the newspaper stories) still need to be translated, is that still in the works or should we assume what we have is the final product?

I recall reading that the VC3 project was plagued by internal drama and strife and that the team at least partially broke up after the patch was released. I am possibly confusing it with Type-0, however.

Durante

Yeah, I think the way the game is framed is a stroke of genius. You're essentially experiencing the Gallian Front through her eyes. Which 'explains' everything from why you can e.g. visit the HQ out of order during NG+, why paying her to write about Squad 7 unlocks character episodes, and how units unlock their hidden potential when she interviews them, etc. since all that directly affects what's written in the book. A stylized retelling and not 100% exactly how the actual events played out.
I never looked at it that way, but that's pretty neat.

Yeah, I think the way the game is framed is a stroke of genius. You're essentially experiencing the Gallian Front through her eyes. Which 'explains' everything from why you can e.g. visit the HQ out of order during NG+, why paying her to write about Squad 7 unlocks character episodes, and how units unlock their hidden potential when she interviews them, etc. since all that directly affects what's written in the book. A stylized retelling and not 100% exactly how the actual events played out. (... on the other hand, that opens up the headcanon that the anime was actually what happened. Oh God)

It's about as flexible a mechanic for suspension of disbelief re: narrative as the early Assassin's Creed games, where doing something out of character would 'desync' you from what the genetic memories actually remembered.

It's still weird to me that you have to pay Ellet to write about you. Talk about journalism ethics! (Too soon?) But more seriously, Ellet seems like such an awful war correspondent. Not even an acknowledgement that most of the stuff she writes are puff pieces, it's just established that the most important stories of the war are "does Welkin have a girlfriend." Like, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

I'd forgotten about Ellet. I kind of wish I could go back to forgetting about her.
Unless I'm also forgetting a later part where she actually becomes a real war correspondent and, say, reports on the Darcsen labour camps or the Federation trying to turn Gallia into a vassal or something.

Durante

Come on, her written pieces give you a pretty good idea about the war and the rest of Europa. The only bad thing you can say about them is that they are quite Squad 7 biased :p

Chariot

Eh, Ellet ain't that bad. There are always two new stories in the paper. One about squad 7 and one general one that often goes into how the war is at other fronts and what's generally influenced by it. She just seem to have a nose for heroes, so she sticks and tries to push squad 7 in the public opinion to raise morals. After all, when this random band of militia people can win battles like crazy, why shouldn't the regular military and other militia squads? (We know why, but that isn't how propaganda works).
This is also why she pushes the personal life of the squad. The people don't to hear more about the victory but that they have it. Welkin has a girlfriend is a better story than Welkin shot a dozen man with his tank canon into pieces and ordered his scouts to run through enemy machineguns with a wink and the words "O R D E R! Please have caution.". And they had.

Does anyone else using the DS3 button prompt mod have the square button icon show up as the prompt for changing weapons in combat, even though triangle does trigger the action?

Falk

that puzzling face
There's actually a bonus chapter (no battles) in NG+ that develops Ellet's character somewhat. Won't detail it because spoilers.

This is also why she pushes the personal life of the squad. The people don't to hear more about the victory but that they have it. Welkin has a girlfriend is a better story than Welkin shot a dozen man with his tank canon into pieces and ordered his scouts to run through enemy machineguns with a wink and the words "O R D E R! Please have caution.". And they had.

Yeah, but it feels a lot like a romaticized 1940s/50s version of how war correspondents act, all "what a scoop!" and "tell us about your favourite things to do on shore leave, war hero!" and whatnot. Obviously Ellet doesn't come close to ruining the game for me (it's one of my favourite games from last-gen consoles!) but it's one of the few elements of the early story that treats war as frivolously as Valkyria Chronicles 2 did, as though war was just another venue for a gossip rag.

At the end of the day, though, it's just a pet peeve for me. It's like episodes of 24 or CSI where one of the characters is all "I need to open another server port because we're being packet-spammed by the terrorists and I need to de-crack the DRM on the workstation before they build the firewall!" Some people look at that and wonder how the hell any of this dialogue got past an editor and other people are like "yeah techy stuff, crazy shit is going on!" and don't give it a second thought. I have the misfortune to be the first type of person in this particular case!

Unai

Eh, Ellet ain't that bad. There are always two new stories in the paper. One about squad 7 and one general one that often goes into how the war is at other fronts and what's generally influenced by it. She just seem to have a nose for heroes, so she sticks and tries to push squad 7 in the public opinion to raise morals. After all, when this random band of militia people can win battles like crazy, why shouldn't the regular military and other militia squads? (We know why, but that isn't how propaganda works).

I actually laughed here at work. Thank you.

Bombless

Oh my GOD you guys, I never realised that buying those stories from Ellet actually added MORE story chapters. Holy shiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

so that empire dlc is ... interesting
never thought i'd see the day where there would be tsundere weeb stuff on my bideo james

also, is there anything to unlock edy's dlc ? i finished it with a B rank but maybe there's something i missed

Chariot

Blurgh. I think I'm done for today. I played mission 17 four times and didn't get the Gallian-S10R, the only weapon that I'm missing (At least I hope that it's the last. I thought that also after I got all ace weapons and when I got the two 30R weapons).

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm... pretty sure (and don't quote me on this, actually have to test it) that saving/reloading before visiting Cordelia gives you different rewards. And even if not, why wouldn't you just save before completing the mission? I think that's one justified usage of mid-game saves regardless of your stance on it.

edit:

1) Beat 16 again, NG+
2) Saved at Book Mode
3) Went to Audience Hall, got 1 rifle, 2 lances
4) Reloaded
5) Went to Audience Hall, got 2 rifles, 1 MG

So, reloading before Audience Hall confirmed to bestow different rewards. In other words lol@u for going through that mission 4 times

Yeah, but it feels a lot like a romaticized 1940s/50s version of how war correspondents act, all "what a scoop!" and "tell us about your favourite things to do on shore leave, war hero!" and whatnot.
The game is set in fictional 1935, and is clearly inspired by the winter war between Finland and Russia. The WW2 style propaganda news stories are perfectly suited to that setting.

Chariot

I'm... pretty sure (and don't quote me on this, actually have to test it) that saving/reloading before visiting Cordelia gives you different rewards. And even if not, why wouldn't you just save before completing the mission? I think that's one justified usage of mid-game saves regardless of your stance on it.
Oh....! I never thought of that. Yes, that'll do. Thanks!

edit: Ok, got it after the second try. Nice. 16 down, 4 left.

sentry65

have just 2 maps left on my no-leveling or upgrading anything run.

just about everything kills you in one attack.

You end up spending your time hiding from and then swarming the enemy all at once - and relying on your tanks a lot for busting through into places.

The PC version is much harder than the PS3 version just in that as you surprise an enemy, they start shooting you a lot (and killing me in my case) before the game lets you attack them. In the PS3 version, I seem to remember enemies not being so quick on the trigger and would only get a couple bullets in before you started your attacking.

TaroYamada

You end up spending your time hiding from and then swarming the enemy all at once - and relying on your tanks a lot for busting through into places.

The PC version is much harder than the PS3 version just in that as you surprise an enemy, they start shooting you a lot (and killing me in my case) before the game lets you attack them. In the PS3 version, I seem to remember enemies not being so quick on the trigger and would only get a couple bullets in before you started your attacking.

No upgrade play through on secret hard mode. Impressive.

Wavebossa

So I'm pretty sure Susie's Challenge is bullshit. I killed every single thing on the map and patrolled every single area of high grass like multiple times.

After all that nothing. And since there was nothing to kill me, I had to force 20 turns to go past, go to brief, and then go back to book view. I even went online to a guide to make sure I killed everyone and I did.

Is anyone else having issues with Susie's challenge?

tenton

Interception fire is tied to fps, so if you turned the game to 30 fps, you'll get back to what the PS3 version was like.

So I'm pretty sure Susie's Challenge is bullshit. I killed every single thing on the map and patrolled every single area of high grass like multiple times.

After all that nothing. And since there was nothing to kill me, I had to force 20 turns to go past, go to brief, and then go back to book view. I even went online to a guide to make sure I killed everyone and I did.

Is anyone else having issues with Susie's challenge?

Go all the way to the map exit, there is one guy hiding behind a boulder right next to the stripped barrier thing

sentry65

Interception fire is tied to fps, so if you turned the game to 30 fps, you'll get back to what the PS3 version was like.

i've been dealing with it so far. It's annoying, but I think it makes the game better. I have to play that much better since I can't run up to anyone and attack them unless I'm directly behind them. It's made the no leveling/upgrading run that much more entertaining.

Main ways I've managed so far without upgrades/leveling:
- attack enemy units using your scouts from far away, but it will take 2-3 AP to kill them
- enemies who are crouching are pretty much invincible, need to destroy their cover
- sneak up behind enemies with shocktroopers to take them out with one hit
- snipers are nearly worthless at late stages without leveling/upgrading. Need several headshots to kill an enemy
- use tanks to break into hot zones, then let the enemy's turn slaughter their troops when they try to move.
- your tanks will get killed in 2-3 hits so engineers nearby are crucial
- you NEED to use smoke grenade a lot more often

Chariot

i've been dealing with it so far. It's annoying, but I have to play that much better since I can't run up to anyone and attack them unless I'm directly behind them.

Main ways I've managed without upgrades/leveling:
- attack enemy units using your scouts from far away, but it will take 2-3 AP to kill them
- enemies who are crouching are pretty much invincible, need to destroy their cover
- sneak up behind enemies with shocktroopers to take them out with one hit
- snipers are worthless at higher levels without leveling/upgrading
- use tanks to break into hot zones, then let the enemy's turn slaughter their troops when they try to move.
- your tanks will get killed in 2-3 hits so engineers nearby are crucial
Man, that actually sounds amazing and sounds more of the level that a militia should have against trained soldiers.

Wavebossa

Go all the way to the map exit, there is one guy hiding behind a boulder right next to the stripped barrier thing

Which corner of the map? I've been to all 4 corners and I didn't see anyone. I killed the 7 regular guys and the ace. According to the guide I read online, that's everyone.

EDIT: Omg... found him. Right where you said he was. Thanks!!!

Oh god, the official board on Sega's website for this game, so hilarious.

Some guy declaring this (and every other modern JRPG) to be not RPGs because it doesn't follow the DnD ruleset and doesn't have a custom protagonist.

I think I've seen it all now. VC (As well as every other major JRPG of the past 20 years) is not an RPG because it is not a DnD clone.

Some guy declaring this (and every other modern JRPG) to be not RPGs because it doesn't follow the DnD ruleset and doesn't have a custom protagonist.

I think I've seen it all now. VC (As well as every other major JRPG of the past 20 years) is not an RPG because it is not a DnD clone.

well i think durante argued that jagged alliance 2 wasn't an rpg so i guess he also believes that VC isn't one either, we should just go yell at him
that's what you get for dissing JA2 duranto ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wavebossa

Lol that's great! Why stop there? Lets be honest, VC isn't even actually a game. I played a game once that was nothing like this. Therefore, VC isn't a game

/logic

well i think durante argued that jagged alliance 2 wasn't an rpg so i guess he also believes that VC isn't one either, we should just go yell at him
that's what you get for dissing JA2 duranto ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, to be fair, even if VC is debatable to be not an RPG, it seems like wild accusations for the same boyo on Sega's forums to claim all JRPGs are not RPGs.

Shiina

8gy.jpg

This one was pretty tricky

Ultimadrago

Which chapters are the (Story Spoilers)
"Escape in the dark" missions (both Princess and Glowing Plant)
again? I have been taking time with this playthrough, but I recall having an issue with those two levels. I hope they're not bad this time around.

Wavebossa

Is all the DLC added in the PC version? I was reading about an EX Hard Mode for skirmishes but I only see challenges and easy/normal.

Top Bottom