• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

I've learned from reading the wiki that Marina is the most popular character in the West while Edy is the most popular in Japan. Shame on you, Japanese gamers
Jann should be more popular everywhere, he's the silliest and yet most serious. Alternatively, Radi should be the underdog favorite, but I'm beating y'all over the head with my desiring a sequel in Fhirald.

batfax

I've learned from reading the wiki that Marina is the most popular character in the West while Edy is the most popular in Japan. Shame on you, Japanese gamers

I just default to Vyse. Mostly because of Skies of Arcadia, but just a LITTLE bit because of his sadistic laugh as he flamethrowers imps.

The mod links on this thread's first post caught my eye. Where did the high res character textures come from? Redrawn?

EDIT: Nevermind, read the readme.

Chariot

I've never seen the anime, and considering what a friend told me about it I don't think I will watch it.
It's not exactly bad, I enjoyed it when I watched it. It's not good either. It's on of the products that are mediocre without any disgust. Just... average. The problem in this case is, that the original wasn't mediocre, but fantastic, which in turn makes the series looks bad, despite being ok on it's own.

The most terrible thing is really Alicia and her degradation to a unreasonable tsundere.
Ln99ts8.jpg

Also these fuckers didn't include mah girl Freesia in the main squad. Fuck them.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm surprised the talking head models have full bodies.

A lot of scenes have them doing pretty complex animations. To the point that I feel framing it with talking heads was more a design decision than a budget/production scale one.

Many game franchises -still- use (2D, even) busts to deliver a story, and that's not even touching visual novels yet. Maybe they figured Japan was just too used to that kind of presentation.

It's not exactly bad, I enjoyed it when I watched it. It's not good either. It's on of the products that are mediocre without any disgust. Just... average. The problem in this case is, that the original wasn't mediocre, but fantastic, which in turn makes the series looks bad, despite being ok on it's own.

The most terrible thing is really Alicia and her degradation to a unreasonable tsundere.

The worst thing for me in the anime was
how they completely ruined Isara's funeral by playing a completely inferior song ot the game, plus since Isara had already heard Rosie sing it lessened the emotional impact. The actual scene where Isara got shot was handled better though in the anime, since there was no sentimenal 'I'm dying' speech in the anime, she just dies. Which is more brutal but also works better in my opinion.

Sectus

About chapter 9, I think I also did only a small amount of damage to the APC. I had to shoot it probably 10 times or so before it before it got incapacitated. I was still able to do that within 3 turns. I was thinking I was doing the intended amount of damage.

Maybe it's just me... But ought this be the perfect thing to leverage for VC3 localization once more with renewed vigor?

Gallian Liberation Front 2, anyone?

Falk

that puzzling face
Maybe it's just me... But ought this be the perfect thing to leverage for VC3 localization once more with renewed vigor?

Gallian Liberation Front 2, anyone?

Gonna reiterate that the fan translation is honestly already 80% of the work done, and that SEGA has in quite recent history worked with fans to bring about an officially endorsed product
if you ignore all the back-end politics
in the form of Taxman's Sonic CD/1/2 remakes. So it's not completely out of the realm of imagination to think that something might come out of that.

(Of course, that'd mean a non-dubbed game still)

Marche90

About chapter 9, I think I also did only a small amount of damage to the APC. I had to shoot it probably 10 times or so before it before it got incapacitated. I was still able to do that within 3 turns. I was thinking I was doing the intended amount of damage.

Odd that people are having troubles with this mission, or rather, the amount of damage done. I just got through it, using Jane (with no Potentials activated) and the Demolition Boost order and the APC went down in a single CP

Are you guys not upgrading your weapons or is it a bug hitting some of you?

Volodja

Odd that people are having troubles with this mission, or rather, the amount of damage done. I just got through it, using Jane (with no Potentials activated) and the Demolition Boost order and the APC went down in a single CP

Judging by the videos I've seen of how it should go, I'm pretty sure it's a bug.
I didn't even have problems with the mission, it just took a lot longer.
Have to see if it's possible to A rank it with the way things are, however.

Gonna reiterate that the fan translation is honestly already 80% of the work done, and that SEGA has in quite recent history worked with fans to bring about an officially endorsed product
if you ignore all the back-end politics
in the form of Taxman's Sonic CD/1/2 remakes. So it's not completely out of the realm of imagination to think that something might come out of that.

(Of course, that'd mean a non-dubbed game still)

By the way, anyone know what happened to the patch? There's been radio silence since the initial release in December and the first update in January. I think the DLC and various ancillary sections (like the newspaper stories) still need to be translated, is that still in the works or should we assume what we have is the final product?

I have one question.. are orders really important in this game? Do you need to use them?

I barely used them when I first played on PS3, unless I'm misremembering. I'd say you don't need them. After seeing what some people do with them, though, I definitely don't think of them as a waste of AP anymore.

Jawmuncher

Beat Chapter 7 nice and easy after ranking up my guys and following the A rank guide on youtube. Now to never use a guide again until absolutely necessary.

Sectus

Are weapon upgrades tied to class level or story progression? I've always had the best upgrades I could buy at the time, but I haven't spent a lot of time in skirmishes (almost beat the game and I've done 3 skirmishes in total).

It's not exactly bad, I enjoyed it when I watched it. It's not good either. It's on of the products that are mediocre without any disgust. Just... average.

My opinion was that the game's storytelling wasn't anything special. It did things right enough, but there were noticable gaps here and there occasionally.

However, the anime felt like it was directed by someone who only had a summary of the game on top of his table, and completely lacks any understanding of the nuances behind the source material.

Some things, the anime did do better, like some Isara related stuff and when showcasing a broader reaction from Welkin to certain scenes, or how Faldio had more moments with him to establish their friendship, etc.

But those stuff aren't hard to improve on the original game to begin with, because the game wasn't that amazing of a tightly written story that every part of the story felt tight and cohesive.

Others,though,were facepalm worthy, like making Welkin's eccentricities into that similar to an airhead. Or the rabu triangle. It screams of the director really not in touch with the source material as deep as a true fan would.

Who are the bottom three? The sniper bros and.. Homer?

Also who are these nobodies in general? Where are Theold, Dallas, Catherine and Melvin, the real squad 7?

Marche90

Are weapon upgrades tied to class level or story progression? I've always had the best upgrades I could buy at the time, but I haven't spent a lot of time in skirmishes (almost beat the game and I've done 3 skirmishes in total).

afaik, story. I've only done the first two skirmishes here, and I'm already at the point where you can choose to specialize your squad with different weapons in chapter 10 (if you want more accuracy, damage or special effects)

Jawmuncher

Uhhh I was going to play VC without GeDoSaTo on. But now my game won't run unless that is activated. I even deactivated it without the game being on. I was able to get windowed 640x400 to run but I just find it odd that if GeDoSaTo isn't on I can't run 1920x1080 in fullscreen or window.

EDIT: Fixed it had to press the refresh button at the top of the configure page.

Falk

that puzzling face
Uhhh I was going to play VC without GeDoSaTo on. But now my game won't run unless that is activated. I even deactivated it without the game being on. I was able to get windowed 640x400 to run but I just find it odd that if GeDoSaTo isn't on I can't run 1920x1080 in fullscreen or window.

EDIT: Fixed it had to press the refresh button at the top of the configure page.

Yeah, that had me in a loop for a while. Hasn't happened since, so I'm assuming one of the patches 'broke' the config's state until you resetted it to default.

Serious question, Edelweis or Shamrock?

Bang for the buck upgrade path that is

Whatever you do, prioritize accuracy upgrades for either/both. Killing stuff faster is the best defense, especially since all you need to do is survive an alpha strike and you can heal back to full.

Falk

that puzzling face
Can someone explain the point of flamethrowers to me. They seem really shit.

READY AIM FIRE

This is from one of the generally accepted low-turn routes for Expert skirmishes on PS3. Not doable anymore at 60fps (which I'm going for this playthrough just so that it's a fresh experience) but I thought I'd grab this one particular clip because FLAMETHROWERS

fucking spoilers dude.

What spoilers. I didn't even say anything about the chapter.

It's because
game was too hard. yeah

I'm getting really tired of the PRNG of the lancer and sniper shots. If the game gives you the option to free-aim then what's the point of having your shots sometimes miss even when you have the perfect shot? Just let us target enemies VATS style and stick a hit rate precentage on their body and heads.

I'm getting really tired of the PRNG of the lancer and sniper shots. If the game gives you the option to free-aim then what's the point of having your shots sometimes miss even when you have the perfect shot? Just let us target enemies VATS style and stick a hit rate precentage on their body and heads.

That wouldn't account for evasion or special abilities, and thus be useless.

Why wouldn't it? That wouldn't be difficult to do at all.

Not that I'm advocating this.

All of the environmental abilities put a pressure on the player to not only be aware of their surroundings, but also the character they're controlling. Similarly, the random-chance boosts function in a similar manner, so you never quite know what you're working with. To further complicate things, there are accuracy, dodge, and reactionary fire mechanics in play. The whole point of the combat is to pressure the player to think quick, decisively, and knowinly in real time. (This is why I believe the damage and armour potential of units are not displayed anywhere easy to find.)

Overtly displaying the variables, probabilities, and statistics would ruin a large part of what Valkyria's combat is all about. Each turn is not a game of numbers - it's a game of chance.

NinjaEdit: So, what I mean is, it's unnecessary and contrary to the game's design.

When you're aiming, the circle is the area that your shot can potentially land in. Get closer to where you want the shot to hit if you want to raise your chances.

Sectus

Whoo, beat the game!

Final stats: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/25096108798973176/60EFD2BFF11B82F913B9DF2F1EFE237A6EDF7BFE/
Which looks a lot better than the final stats I got for my PS3 playthrough 4 years ago: http://abload.de/img/2014-11-17_12-53-10dzs5r.png

Final missions were a lot easier than I remember. I think chapter 14 was the last time I felt like I really struggled. I remember I struggled quite bit with the final mission on the PS3 version, but this time I around
I beat it in 2 turns by taking down the towers quickly and placing 2 Shocktroppers right next to Maximiliam, and then he went down in 2-3 volleys.

I dunno if I'll do much more in the game. I'm not a big fan of new game+ (when I replay a game I tend to prefer a more challenging experience, not an easier one), but I'll give the DLC a shot since I never played that on PS3. But it was fun playing the game again. I wasn't planning on playing through the entire game from scratch, but I had more fun than I expected.

So I beat chapter 7 in 1 try yesterday. With a lot of save scumming, of course lol.
Not sure if it's considered as 1 try though, as I spent 2+ hours on it.

Sectus

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/s...s/VC_STEAM_EMANUAL_UK_HR_RGB.pdf?t=1415705873

So weird seeing so many instances where it refers to discs as if the PC version was going to be a retail launch.

Looking at the credits, they only needed 4 developers for the port? I guess that's not surprising considering most of the work would just be programming and most of the code doesn't need to be touched, but that makes me think the success of this port will lead to more PC ports of various games, rather than more VC related stuff.

I'd love to see a VC4, or upgraded versions of VC2/3, but those would be really high budget projects compared to the VC1 port (they could do direct ports of VC2/3, but I doubt that's likely and I doubt many people would want that anyway).

I watched some clips from the anime out of curiosity. They really butchered alicia's character

The best thing about the anime are Alicia's reaction faces. Example below, my reaction after somehow finishing the entire 20 something episode adaptation

BkBR8nL.jpg

There's also a super weird love triangle between Faldio, Welkin and Alicia. Faldio also gets his own tsundere male assistant who has a tsundere thing for Isara... Yeah it's a bad adaptation.

The VC3 OVA's are quite good though. A LOT better than whatever the fuck the VC1 adaptation is. But they also technically occur halfway through VC3's story so keep that in mind if you ever want to watch them somehow.

Top Bottom