• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Falk

that puzzling face
Just realized while playing Ch9 on NG+ that
the CP ribbon for Federation exists.

Federation vs Empire mod DLC campaign when

Just realized while playing Ch9 on NG+ that
the CP ribbon for Federation exists.

Federation vs Empire mod DLC campaign when

When we actually have
Federation uniform models instead of reusing Generic Gallian Troopers.

God Ch9 is such a cocktease IMO with the existence of Federation assets and all that go used for merely that mission. Just an IMO here, but that deserved a DLC campaign, not Edy Detachment

Falk

that puzzling face
Obviously texture replacement already works and I doubt model replacement is far behind, but those, along with any mod campaign setting, do run the risk of contradicting actual canon should the franchise be officially revisited in future. (Something that isn't peculiar to VC yet probably is a bit more of an actual issue considering how rich the universe is)

I've actually been digging around old blog posts, etc. to see what kind of plans SEGA might have had for the franchise beyond VC3. Something that stuck out to me was one of Tanaka's blog posts prior to VC2's release that the game 'could appear on consoles' after PSP.

You gotta wonder how much of those assets were done and when along the dev/release cycle that the decision not to bother with the console version happened, and if any of those hypothetical assets might eventually make its way to hypothetical Steam VC2/VC3.

(Of course, as pointed out that'd be far more work and probably out of the scope of the 4-man team that VC porting had)

Nyoro SF

So chapter 14...

I begin the map, Alicia goes super saiyan and starts blowing everything the fuck out. On 2nd turn after she nukes the AT cannon into oblivion I run a scout by and capture the base which triggers the pincer attack.

This is all well and good as this attack was extraordinarily obvious given the massive empty size of the map. However I'm ready this time, so I ready up both of my snipers and proceed to eliminate every single foot soldier in the south while moving the rest of my units into safe positions.

HOWEVER for some reason right after my turn is over, the enemy immediately spawns reinforcements, replacing every single unit that I killed last turn. WTF. Snipers appear from the cliff above and proceed to kill off my scouts. Edelweiss is caught between an anti-tank cannon that I can't kill and a giant tank that can shoot flaming napalm.

This one's going to be a doozy to figure out. What made it worse was
After I captured the camp it said "reinforcements canceled" and then the turn after they immediately spawned reinforcements with no prior announcement of a reinforcement call, WTF?

Durante

The best thing about the anime are Alicia's reaction faces. Example below, my reaction after somehow finishing the entire 20 something episode adaptation

BkBR8nL.jpg

There's also a super weird love triangle between Faldio, Welkin and Alicia. Faldio also gets his own tsundere male assistant who has a tsundere thing for Isara... Yeah it's a bad adaptation.
WTF.

sixghost

Odd that people are having troubles with this mission, or rather, the amount of damage done. I just got through it, using Jane (with no Potentials activated) and the Demolition Boost order and the APC went down in a single CP

Are you guys not upgrading your weapons or is it a bug hitting some of you?

I didn't have demolition boost when I was doing that mission. I'd imagine that makes it super fucking easy. The only way I could beat it was to set up a trap with 4 shocktroopers waiting for the APC to drive past, then just wailed on the weak spot with all four of them sitting there attacking each turn. The weird thing about that mission is that it only lets you assign 6 units in the planning phase, but you can bring in another 2 or 3 once the mission starts. Who knows why that is.

I really wish the turns went a bit faster in this game. The mission in Chapter 11 is especially bad. Every fucking turn you need to wait like 20 or 30 seconds for the stuff to happen at the end of the enemy turn in addition to their actual turns. Missions like that just make me save after every turn to avoid ever needing to replay it.

Chariot

I didn't have demolition boost when I was doing that mission. I'd imagine that makes it super fucking easy. The only way I could beat it was to set up a trap with 4 shocktroopers waiting for the APC to drive past, then just wailed on the weak spot with all four of them sitting there attacking each turn.
I didn't have Demolition boost either and it worked out fine. You don't need more than one Shocktrooper, since the car isn't driving that far and a shock can shoot as much as she or he want.

sixghost

I didn't have Demolition boost either and it worked out fine. You don't need more than one Shocktrooper, since the car isn't driving that far and a shock can shoot as much as she or he want.

Why would you not have at least 2 though? You get extra damage every turn by having more of them with the team attack.

The Isara male love interest thing isn't as bad as it sounds. It's basically throwing in a random one sided puppy love from the guy to her. Frankly, the addition resulted in more Isara air time, so.. I can't complain too much about it.

The love triangle, though is basically DRAMA fodder. Terrible.

baterism

There's also a super weird love triangle between Faldio, Welkin and Alicia. Faldio also gets his own tsundere male assistant who has a tsundere thing for Isara... Yeah it's a bad adaptation.

Faldio who?

And Alice during
Valkyria potential :"I'm a weapon, no a shield." Yeah, yeah, there's a reason why US called their WMD Peacekeeper. You are not only a talking breathing tank, but also a talking breathing nuke.

xBladeM6x

Love triangles are terrible, and any writer using them should feel bad.
KorraGAF knows all to well about this.
Kind of glad I skipped the anime for VC.

Chariot

Just had my first crash in chapter 13, when I tried to look up details for a character (I believe it was Wavy, at least one of my scouts).
Selvaria had appeared at that point. I heard there were problems on Ghirlandaio too? I guess you can't call stats anywhere she is near.

xBladeM6x

Just had my first crash in chapter 13, when I tried to look up details for a character (I believe it was Wavy, at least one of my scouts).
Selvaria had appeared at that point. I heard there were problems on Ghirlandaio too? I guess you can't call stats anywhere she is near.

I haven't had a crash yet, but I've been getting this temporary issue where if I ALT+TAB the game enough times, my GPU clock will drop to 504, and stay there permanently until I restart my PC. If I go onto other games after closing VC, like BF4, it'll chug because it's staying at 504 clock speed. Lol.

TaroYamada

Maybe because modders aren't paid employees but rather fellow fans who choose to contribute to the community....

Just a thought.

Chariot

I haven't had a crash yet, but I've been getting this temporary issue where if I ALT+TAB the game enough times, my GPU clock will drop to 504, and stay there permanently until I restart my PC. If I go onto other games after closing VC, like BF4, it'll chug because it's staying at 504 clock speed. Lol.
That's a weird one. VC has more weird ones than regular ones.

--

I am currently hunting aces down that I missed and to my devastation I realized that I had not one of the first empire weapons because their aces were hidden as fuck. Especially Segular the Wall. Fuck him. Now I am only missing the two 30er royal weapons, then I should have every weapon and weapon upgrade and thus the last achievement before I just can do what I want. (Killing 1000 units, unlock the full personnel profile and earning A Rank everywhere goes luckily hand in hand). I also think of taking the Splintered Horn Cezary that racist dick weed.

Played chapter 7. When I first played it on the PS3 it got me stuck for some time, now I finished on the first try wooh hoo!

How do you play the DLC mission? I think I'll play them when I finished the main campaign since it seems that the selvaria's one unlock some OP weapons

Chariot

How do you play the DLC mission? I think I'll play them when I finished the main campaign since it seems that the selvaria's one unlock some OP weapons
You can access the DLC missions at any time from the title menu under "Extras". Albeit you should at the end or after you finished the main story since it's balanced for an endgame squad. Or so I heard.

xBladeM6x

That's a weird one. VC has more weird ones than regular ones.

--

I am currently hunting aces down that I missed and to my devastation I realized that I had not one of the first empire weapons because their aces were hidden as fuck. Especially Segular the Wall. Fuck him. Now I am only missing the two 30er royal weapons, then I should have every weapon and weapon upgrade and thus the last achievement before I just can do what I want. (Killing 1000 units, unlock the full personnel profile and earning A Rank everywhere goes luckily hand in hand). I also think of taking the Splintered Horn Cezary that racist dick weed.

I think we may be the only two people in this thread trying to 100% this game. Haha

I hate the crappy AI in this game. The computer waits 13 turns and then moves it's lancer up twice and one shots my tank.

Is it possible to speed up the computer's turns cause this made me rage quit several times.

Chariot

I think we may be the only two people in this thread trying to 100% this game. Haha
*brofist*
I am usually not an achievement hunter, but damn, I want to complete the game.

I hate the crappy AI in this game. The computer waits 13 turns and then moves it's lancer up twice and one shots my tank.

Is it possible to speed up the computer's turns cause this made me rage quit several times.
I wish. It's especially annoying at missions where the enemy pile up points until a certain event happens and then keeps using all of them and that one mission where you have this slow ass walking enemy you just wanna kill for being that terribly slow. Usually I am going to take a piss, make some food or start watching youtube on my phone. Sometimes everything at once.

Vashzaron

Pssh I ain't gonna try for it, I'm going for it! Seriously the first Valkyria Chronicles has got to be up there as one of my all time favourite games. It didn't even have trophies for bragging rights on PS3 but yet I wanted to and did clear all of it including A ranks on EX skirmishes and the other DLC on PS3.

I hate being ignored. That's just rude. Like I don't exist.

Not really a advocate of that stuff but as soon as someone figures out how to make the higher quality cutscene models be playable you'll get that.

Unrelated lol;

This is possible by editing the value in a save the game uses to "is x unit going to get deployed to y camp next turn?" on a PS3 even. (Framerate drops tho.)

Falk

that puzzling face
No, but I'm apparently close :p

The big one honestly would be getting 1000 kills.

Thankfully it's not as ridiculously far out as FF8 Steam's 10,000 kills.

Falk

that puzzling face
Each soldier has one personal hidden potential. You deploy them and get 5 "Ellet Points". Off top of head, deploying is 1, killing an enemy is 2, rescuing a downed squaddie is 4, among other actions. Once you get 5 (cumulative across battles), talk to Ellet at Castlefront St. and it unlocks their potential.

Never really cared about the other actions since deploying someone and rescuing a downed squaddie with them pretty much insta-unlocks hidden potentials.

Other than personal potentials, each class also has a set of potentials that are unlocked by levelling.

Giran

For all the people who have yet to beat Ghirlandaio 1, be sure to save before using a ladder. Units keep falling through the geometry sometimes.

Durante

Each soldier has one personal hidden potential. You deploy them and get 5 "Ellet Points". Off top of head, deploying is 1, killing an enemy is 2, rescuing a downed squaddie is 4, among other actions. Once you get 5 (cumulative across battles), talk to Ellet at Castlefront St. and it unlocks their potential.
So that is what that line of Ellet dialogue means. I never knew.

Never really cared about the other actions since deploying someone and rescuing a downed squaddie with them pretty much insta-unlocks hidden potentials.

Other than personal potentials, each class also has a set of potentials that are unlocked by levelling.
Very informative, thanks.

I had no idea how I was unlocking their abilities.

Thanks for the help! I'm still slowly making my way through the game.

Top Bottom